News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy_Naccarato

Re: Ruining Bunkering In the Northeast...
« Reply #25 on: March 18, 2003, 09:58:00 AM »
Tim, He also needs to apologize to Tom Doak and Company for disparging remarks about Mid Ocean Club's decision to go about restoring their greens at a slower, more sensitive pace.

I'm sure rpurd's presence hasn't been felt because he is still out there gathering more signed avidavit's and photos. I'm sure he will bless us with them when he is finished. Right rpurd?  IMHO he should drop all of the BS and be rushing to a very fast apology to Ron Pritchard.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #26 on: March 18, 2003, 07:25:06 PM »
rpurd,

Some additional bits of information have come to light.

I spoke to a member of the Nassau Green Committee today.
It is his contention that Ron Prichard was not involved with their bunker work, that Bob Cupp was the individual responsible for the bunker project undertaken by the club.

This would seem to conflict with your statement that it was Ron Prichard who did Nassau's bunker work.

How do you reconcile the enormous disparity in the information you provided relative to the work done at Nassau ?

I also spoke to a knowledgeable party at Morris County Country Club today.  He indicated that the club did not assess the members one cent to pay for the project supervised by Ron Prichard.  He indicated that the funds necessary to pay for the project came from a source other than a membership assessment, and that the members were not required to pay "one thin dime" out of their pockets.  
This too would seem to conflict with your statements.

In light of what appears to be emerging facts contradicting your allegations relative to Ron Prichard's work at Morris County and Nassau, do you have any supporting evidence to bolster your criticism of his work ?

If you do, please present it so that it may be studied and evaluated.

If you don't, I think the decent thing to do is to provide a total retraction, and offer an apology to Ron Prichard.

I've seen Ron's work at Mountain Ridge, Point Judith and Aronomink and was impressed by it.  Mountain Ridge, Point Judith and Aronomink are very happy with his work as well.

The consensus I heard was that Morris County was happy with his work, and that Nassau was happy with Bob Cupp's work, but if you have information to the contrary, please provide it.

TEPaul,

This is just Deja Vu, all over again  ;D

Michael J. Moss

« Reply #27 on: March 19, 2003, 12:11:53 PM »
Gentlemen,

I have thoroughly enjoyed the lively dicussions on this board. Your collective passion for golf architecture is very much in evidence and Ran Morrissett, the founder of the feast, is the greatest. He's enabled amateurs like myself to lob in a nugget of nonsence when inspired. In terms of background, my user ID is an homage to the golf course I had the pleasure of hacking away the first half of my golf career on. Can you guess the course? So, without any further adieus- my first post.

It is my observation that whenever a rank and file member of a club critcizes newly restored/ renovated bunkers it rarely has anything to do with aesthetics or authenticity. The criticism has everything to do with the bunkers being more difficult to play from.

When an older player finds it difficult to physically get in and out of a bunker and then, once in, has trouble getting the ball out, they'll blame the damned architect for ruining the place. Also, there's no question, when bunkers are deeper than pre-renovation condition, players' scores go up. Nothing gets a golfer's dander up more than not being able to get their ball up and down when they once could or, worse yet, leaving one in. Golf egos often drive opinion.

Unless the club has the right culture- an appreciation for classic architecture- they're going to be PO'd when more challenge is presented. I've payed Century and Fenway several times since Gil Hanse transformed them and their bunkers are much more difficult in every sense. Gil did an unbelievable job but not everyone "got it." Many, at least initially, complained. This is probably the case as stated by Rpurd and his luncheon guests.

I know that Ron Prichard has done many Ross restorations. I can't wait to see Aronimink this July when the Seniors play. By the way, this board should  become familiar with the best senior golfer in the world today, Delroy Cambridge. He's going to win there.

I'd love to see photos of Prichard's work at Morris County. I wonder if it's his first Raynor restoration? This past season, I got a chance to play another underrated Westchester County course that is flying under the radar- Mount Kisco CC. It has small, devilish, raised greens and Mr. Prichard did a wonderful job recapturing the look of a course built 75 years ago. Yes, the bunkers are more difficult.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #28 on: March 19, 2003, 12:36:43 PM »
Herman Barron,
Do you think that some of the reasoning behind this is because the strategy, as well as the intent of the bunkers has been restored? Could this mean that their golf course slowly but surely lost its "edge" and they didn't even know it?

Why do you think that even the most experienced, most traveled of members has lost the ability to accept the challenge that confronts them? What is wrong with being in a bunker for making the wrong shot, and then trying to redeem one's self, by extricating themselves from it?

Would it be safe to say that these paticular members have lost insight to what the Game is about, and cannot handle it because they are insecure about their age and mortality?

BTW, I totally concur with what you are saying.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:03 PM by -1 »

Michael J. Moss

« Reply #29 on: March 19, 2003, 01:27:24 PM »
Greetings Tom,

I think it all falls into the category of ego. The challenge, too often, is secondary. Here's an example: a Green Chairman starts losing distance off his driver. A tree that defines the proper shot line on the inside of a difficult dog-leg starts to become a nuisance. His increasingly short drives leaves him somewhat stymied with the tree blocking him. You know what comes next... the chain saw. The Green Chairman doesn't have to complain- he has the saw. The rank and file snipe. There are only a handful of clubs that have the culture- the appreciation of the game- to deal with vagaries and cruel blows, ect.

In short, golfers have trouble dealing with higher scores. Sometimes integrity is compromised and that includes desisions regarding the golf course.

Can you imagine a golf course Master Plan marketed to a membership that proposes to make the course incrementally more difficult to play? No work would ever get passed.

The bunker restorations by the architects this board admires invariably are more appealing from a visual point of view but they are more difficult to play out of. Gil used "revetting"-stacking two or three layers of sod on the front lips of his bunkers- at Fenway and Century. Those bunkers are beautiful!  But, boy, are they tough. If you're in the front of one of the greenside bunkers on hole 15 at Fenway, with the pin in front, you're toast. You have to play away from the hole and just try to hit on the fatter, rear portion of the green.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #30 on: March 19, 2003, 01:37:08 PM »
Gil's spec on the bunkers at Rustic Canyon are close to the same, and here is where you get the influence of what can best be described as a protoypical "former" Merion-style bunker. I love em!

Your apt description reminds me of one hole in paticular--the 18th at Cypress Point Club. If ever there was a golf hole that was "chairmaned" to death, there it is.

Keep posting, your great!

TEPaul

« Reply #31 on: March 19, 2003, 01:47:19 PM »
Hermanbarron:

If my club is representative of what a restoration plan faces from the membership there were very much two camps amongst the membership about the ease/difficulty of the golf course following the restoration plan.

1. Older members and women who did not want to see the course become more DIFFICULT.
2. Younger members and better players who DEFINITELY did not want to see the course beome EASIER. I was even asked to produce a projection about what effect the restoration would have on the course rating and slope!

Makes for an interesting dynamic, don't you think? Older members don't want their scores to go up and apparently younger members and better players must take some pride in feeling the course offers more of a test or at least has that reputation. I'd be very suprised if the Merion membership didn't also have this basic division into two camps.

We may have even figured out a way to satisfy both camps to some extent, though.

Michael J. Moss

« Reply #32 on: March 19, 2003, 03:16:13 PM »
TEPaul, It's a distinct pleasure! I've enjoyed your observations and posts for quite a while. Dittos Tommy.

You're right on the money. The dynamic you describe exists.

Getting back to Master Plans, though, the club I belong to needs one in the worst way and we're in the process of sorting it out.  This board has been a great resource. The architects favored here- thoughs who appreciate the men who came before- represent a wealth of talent. It's hard to screw up when you're chosing among the Prichards, Bahtos, DeVries's, not to mention Gil.

I belong to a club that has the most incredible (I think it's sad) architectural history. To tell it requires more time than I have right now, but here it is in a capsule.

1916- property purchased in Westchester County- Seth Raynor hired to lay out and supervise construction.
1918 (July) course opened.
1920 (Nov.) significant rework done "according to the plans of Mr. Travis." Greens moved and reconfigured, bunkers added, ect.
1921-23 -Robert White- retained to oversee any new construction and improve course's condition.
late 1928-30 AW Tillinghast combines our 17th and 18th holes to make a par 5. (17 was a reverse Redan). Builds a new 12th hole- a Raynoresque "Short" that drops down to the green. also more green re-contouring, bunkers, ect.

We have a 1926 aerial which shows that his "greatest holes" were all there, though much fainter. There were "scars" where the "Prize Dogleg' and "Alps" greens were. Travis moved them. Raynor probably refused to do so. Boy, those Prize Doglegs were the first to get wacked. George Bahto should turn to us as an example. Clearly, our membership didn't "get it." That's the sad part of the story. Raynor 's course was too quirky with too much blindness. We're an early example of controversial features being eliminated by the rank and file.

Tillinghast, who did the least amount of work, was adopted as our course's original designer. I guess in 1930, Tillinghast had the preeminent name and, by then, Raynor had been gone from this earth for four years.  Our Club's Raynor history followed by Walter Travis was totally lost and forgotten by our membership. That is until recently.  I stumbled on the Raynor documentation at the Public library and his involvement was confirmed by what were thought to be lost Board minutes. I had my suspicions all along. Our course doesn't look like any Tillinghast course I'd ever played, having grown up on one of this boards more admired ones.

The coup de grace was carrying out a restoration between 1995-97 in which the aforemention history was not known to the architect. Without going into the gory details... you get the picture. Murphy's law took over!  The only good news is that I wasn't involved. I'm determined to get it right this time.

Some story. What charge do you give an architect to base a Master Plan on?

Now I'm late. Let me know.

Tommy_Naccarato

« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2003, 03:36:48 PM »
Herm,
I'm liking your talk more and more and I know exactly what you are saying. Shame about your home course though.

I'm still trying to figure out your childhood course though. Nope, the name is escaping me....Give me some time, I'll get it!:)

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #34 on: March 19, 2003, 06:39:24 PM »
TEPaul & Herman Barron,

Many times the comments from different factions are based on perceptions, not reality.

At a few clubs that underwent a major project on their golf course, studies were done with respect to the handicaps of the members pre and post project.

Not surprisingly, changes in handicaps were di minimus.

Perhaps many of us overestimate or underestimate our abilities and the perceived impact the changes will have on our games.

Tommy Naccarato,

The modern day concept of fairness seems to rear its head and be evaluated by each faction's perception of how the changes will affect their games.

It's unfortunate that golfers can't detach themselves from their own games and think in more global terms.

Sadly, fairness seems to have created a culture bent on eradicating the penal effect/impact of hazards on ones game.

This may be why we should lobby for "dictators on demand"

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #35 on: March 19, 2003, 07:19:38 PM »
Tommy:

If you can guess the course Herman refers to you are a better man than I. Even with the advantage of growing up in Westchester County and Whitten's resource in hand I'm still not sure. Several candidates, but I still can't get it.

Herman certainly has me curious.
Tim Weiman

A.W._Tillinghast

« Reply #36 on: March 19, 2003, 07:48:19 PM »
HERMAN BARRON. USA. Born: 12/23/1909, in Port Chester, N.Y. Died: 6/1978.
One of the top professional golfers of the 1930's and 40's, Herman Barron won his first major tournament in 1934 (Philadelphia Open) and his last in 1963 (World Seniors Championship).
Among the PGA's leading money winners during his tournament year, his hottest streak occurred in 1946 when, within three weeks, he won the Philadelphia Inquirer Open, finished fourth in the U.S. Open, and captured the rich All-America Championship at Tam O'Shanter in Chicago. His U.S. Open finish was one stroke behind the legendary Ben Hogan, the only PGA golfer in 1946 to win more prize money than Barron's $23,000.32. (During this pre-television period, barely one dozen pro golfers made their living on the Tour.)
Herman was on America's Ryder Cup team that defeated England in 1947, but soon after, failing health sent him into tournament retirement. For the next 15 years he was a PGA teaching pro.
Barron joined the PGA Senior Circuit in the early 1960's. He defeated Paul Runyon for the 1963 Senior Championship, lowering the tournament record by six strokes. His last competitive headline came in November, 1964, when he registered the 11th hole-in-one of his career.

Herman Barron was the Head Pro at Fenway.  Mike, you can run but you can't hide! :)

Michael J. Moss

« Reply #37 on: March 19, 2003, 08:00:25 PM »
Ya got me!

I think I had Tommy stumped. Herman Barron was also a member of the 1947 Ryder Cup Team that I believe either shut out GB&I or gave up one point.

The  bombs are flying.

Johntew

« Reply #38 on: March 20, 2003, 10:32:05 AM »
My homecourse, in Massachusetts, is planning a bunker and tee restoration in the fall of 2004 continuing into the spring of 2005. Ron Prichard will oversee project. We are trying to keep as much of the course open to play by membership during this period by using temporary tees and greens on a rotating basis. Prichard's recommendation is to work on three holes per week. Would like to get input from anyone who has recently gone through a similiar project and how they implemented their plan, with pros and cons. Recently heard of a renovation at Mt Kisco where they went hole by hole in re-shaping bunkers and the members liked the relatively small intrusion.

TEPaul

« Reply #39 on: March 20, 2003, 03:10:14 PM »
Johntew:

We just went through this at GMGC in Philadelphia but we did all our green-end bunkers and regrassed the greens too. The greens were closed and gassed last August the green-end bunkering was done but the course was playable to temp greens in the ends of the fairways. Very little play though and our members basically used organized reciprocity with other clubs to play.

But every project is different and playing through it probably so too. Why don't you just ask Ron Prichard what the best thing to do would be as for playing through the bunker project? But if I can help I'd be glad to--or maybe put your super in touch with ours.

Chris Munoz

« Reply #40 on: March 20, 2003, 07:20:55 PM »
Man that sucks.....I would be pissed off, if that happened to my golf course.  Did you ever heard of Gil Hanse?  He is one of the best out there.  I went to Aronimink Golf Club.  It seemed to me that Ron, didn't ruin those bunkers there or the course itself.  Good luck...
Christian C. Munoz
Assistant Superintendent Corales
PUNTACANA Resort & Club
www.puntacana.com

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #41 on: March 20, 2003, 07:54:53 PM »
TEPaul & Johntew,

Sometimes, what the architect thinks is the best thing, will not be accepted by the membership, and a compromise must be reached.

Many Northern clubs attempt to begin work right after Labor day and plan to open by early spring, if the weather co-operates.
This can lead to minimum disruption to the membership since play usually falls off at many clubs after Labor Day, and doesn't really pick up again until Memorial Day, presenting the contractors with a reasonable window of opportunity with less interaction with the membership and fewer conflicts.

Working on holes while the members play through or around them has never seemed like the ideal situation for anyone, but again, compromises may have to be made.

As you indicated, each situation is unique and a balance must be struck between the architects optimum plan and the memberships desire to play the golf course.

Is this another reason to support dictatorships at golf courses ?

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #42 on: March 21, 2003, 01:28:11 AM »
rpurd:

So, you "stand by everything" you said. Once again we hear that there are some members "very unhappy" with work done at Morris County and Nassau.

But, as far as I can see, we are right back to square one. You still haven't told us WHAT they are unhappy about. Not a single detail. No documentation whatever.

I still don't know whether Ron Prichard made every bunker fifty feet deep and filled them all with rattlesnakes!

Why return to the thread if you are not prepared or are unwilling to share some details?

Could you please share with us the specific nature of the complaints?

Tim Weiman

TEPaul

« Reply #43 on: March 21, 2003, 03:14:30 AM »
"Several members are upset and I thought this forum was a place to bring complaints."

rpud:

This place probably is a good place to bring complaints. But how can anyone here say much constructively if you continue to fail or refuse to tell anyone on this website what the problems are exactly with those bunkers?

Put yourself in our position. How do you expect anyone to help in any way if we really don't know what the problems are with those bunkers in the opinion of those members you said didn't like them. Before you post another word why do you first address that? Why don't you? Why haven't you?

How can this be so difficult for you to explain what they're complaining about. I'm glad you aren't gone. I hope some of us do meet you in person someday. I hope I do. And when I do if you continue to rail against us for not offering something constructive to you without giving us anything to go on I'm going to be real sure to tell you to your face how illogical you've been going about this entire subject on here!

The cruel fact of all this is there seems to be members in every club who act the way you have to other members and other people. After a while, I hate to have to say, the rest of the members and even those on here end up not taking what you say or the criticism very seriously--and things go on to the finished product which in most clubs and memberships with Ron Prichard appear to be successful and well received.

You're never going to get anywhere at your club or on here until you begin to address this subject with some understandable details--and that means what the problems are with those bunkers in your opinon (and those people sitting at the next table).

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #44 on: March 21, 2003, 07:46:59 AM »
rpurd,

Could you answer the questions I posed ?

Could you also provide the SPECIFICS requested by all ?

With respect to Nassau,
When did Ron Prichard do work at Nassau ?
What was the nature of the work ?
What was the extent of the work ?

Are you related to Hal Purdy, the golf course architect ?

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #45 on: March 21, 2003, 08:56:13 AM »
Tom Paul & Pat Mucci:

I'm at a complete loss to understand rpurd and why he hasn't shared any information to support his suggestions about Ron Prichard's work at a few clubs.

After all this time I would think it is embarrassing to avoid numerous reasonable requests for detail to support for his contention that Prichard is "ruining bunkering in the Northeast".

Why show up and tell us he "stands by" what he said, but still not tell us what the actual complaint is?

People here have diverse views. We debate. We learn. On rare occasions we might actually change someone's mind about an issue.

But, why approach things the way rpurd has? What could possibly be in it for him? When doing what rpurd has done will obviously only discredit, why do it?
Tim Weiman

Tim_Weiman

« Reply #46 on: March 21, 2003, 12:47:16 PM »
rpurd:

You are exactly right to suggest that nobody here would regard having the names of people "upset" at Ron Prichard's work "satisfying".

For the life of me, I can't understand why you think such information would be interesting. We don't care about the names. What difference does it make?

As long as you continue to ignore repeated polite requests for detailed information nobody here will be "satisfied". To the contrary, we will only be more likely to believe you have been unfair to Ron Prichard and wonder why you even continue to post.

Tim Weiman

TEPaul

« Reply #47 on: March 21, 2003, 05:00:57 PM »
rpud/Rick Purdy said in his first post;

"Having lunch at my club today, the name of Ron Pritchard came up.  One member mentioned that he ruined our bunkers with his re-design and also threw out Nassau CC as a place where he screwed up also.  He maintained Nassau is replacing all the work done by Ron.  I for one know of the disdain for this individual at my home club......"

After repeated requests from many of us to rpud/Purdy to supply some information which he failed to and/or refused to produce, Pat Mucci, our GCA investigator supreme, did a little checking and found out from a good source that Ron Prichard had not done any work at Nassau and asked Purdy to apologize to Prichard for criticizing him for something he never did;

And then rpud/Purdy replied,

"First off, there WILL BE NO APOLOGY for my initial commentary on Mr Prichard's work.  I see that the attacks have continued........rpud and other slurs have been cast again.  I guess whatever floats your boat guys.  

Second, I STAND BY EVERYTHING I INITIALLY SAID.  My contacts at Morris and Nassau are VERY unhappy about the work done by Mr Prichard.......this Cupp discovery at Nassua is news to me and several contacts at the club.  I have seen copies of the work product with Mr Prichard.......Cupp did some minor work....he was in no way criticized by anyone known to me.”

Today, Gil Hanse, who read this thread called to say that it’s his understanding that it was Ron Forse who’d done bunker restoration work at Nassau and according to Ron Forse apparently some older members objected to it because it may have been a bit rugged, natural etc and perceived by them as too hard to play from. Basically, Gil said it was the kind of bunkering you and I love but there are always some members, particularly some older ones at some clubs who object to it---that’s just sort of the nature of the business and that this is not uncommon in most any restoration work just as Brad Klein explained to rpud/Purdy on the first page.

Then Ron Prichard called to say he never has worked at Nassau G.C. But, again, rpud/Purdy has stated; “My contacts at Morris and Nassau are VERY unhappy about the work done by Mr Prichard.......this Cupp discovery at Nassua is news to me and several contacts at the club.  I have seen copies of the work product with Mr Prichard.......Cupp did some minor work...”

So rpud/Purdy says he’s seen copies of Prichard’s work product at Nassau. Really rpud/Purdy? Well Ron Prichard says he never worked there which means in my book you can’t even understand the difference between the name Ron Forse and Ron Prichard or if you can and did, well then, you’re just a liar who goes on an Internet site and maligns an architect for something he never did. And if you don’t think you owe Ron Prichard an apology after that, then you’ve got zero character in my book. You know you’re wrong, you won’t admit it, you won’t apologize, meaning you’re a spineless little worm and better yet you know that!

So far on this thread, this character rpud/Purdy has insulted just about all of us for asking him for some facts about the bunkers at Morris Co, and when he refused to supply any details and we questioned him on that he insulted all of us;

He insulted Brad Klein, called me an asshole, denigrated my golf club, and once again said in caps, firstly he would NOT consider apologizing to anyone about anything he said and secondly he stands by everything he said about Ron Prichard at Morris Co and Nassau.

As much as we want to be civil and decent on here, I suggest in rpud/Purdy’s case we make him the Golfclubatlas poster boy for everything that can go wrong at some good classic golf courses. People like that are good architecture’s and good architect’s biggest problem. They don’t understand good architecture in the slightest and gratuitously insult those who build it.

Matter of fact, just to show you all what a bunch of decent guys Ron Prichard, Ron Forse and Gil Hanse are, Ron Prichard realized that Gil had worked at Morris Co a bit before him and when he was called by the club he put in a call to Gil first. And Ron Forse, he interviewed for our club but the job went to Gil Hanse but the two of them are great friends although obviously competitors in the business, they’re likely to compete for projects all the time, all three of them, for that matter and they all remain friends, completely decent to each other, supportive of each other and gentlemanly about things. And all three of them are terrific architects certainly understand the realities of the business and that in all projects there are likely to be occasional members like those guys eating at the next table to rpud/Rick Purdy and Purdy himself. The very thing Brad Klein said to Purdy and got insulted for. These fellows are good architects and good guys.

The very thing, in fact, that rpud/Rick Purdy isn’t! So don’t bother about any of our requests from you for facts and details, rpud/Rick Purdy because basically you’ve proven on this thread that you don’t know crap about any of this and obviously never will. But you should apologize to a bunch of people. And if you don’t it’ll be continuing evidence of the kind of person you've thus far shown yourself to be--clueless and spineless. And finally, good luck avoiding Ron Prichard's bunkers at Morris Co.; you're probably one of those people who has no idea how to stay out of them or get out of them.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #48 on: March 21, 2003, 05:33:06 PM »
Geez, this is good stuff!!!  Bar none the best action on GCA since the Cigar thread.  Long live rpurd!!!!  Epic post, brah!  Way to come in and piss off a lot of people.  
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #49 on: March 21, 2003, 06:36:57 PM »
rpurd,

I believe the following are a series of your comments.

Having lunch at my club today, the name of Ron Pritchard came up.  One member mentioned that he ruined our bunkers with his re-design and also threw out Nassau CC as a place where he screwed up also.  He maintained Nassau is replacing all the work done by Ron.  I for one know of the disdain for this individual at my home club......any thoughts on his work elsewhere?  I know he did some redo at Aronimink.......

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back