News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

FORMBY: Best Course In Northern England? New
« on: November 18, 2007, 05:50:30 PM »
Formby is quite unusual for two reasons.  First, it is a links bounded on three sides by trees.  Second, it encircles one of the oldest ladies clubs in the country, Formby Ladies GC.  FLGC is a charmer and nearly as old as Formby GC, which was formed in 1884.  The main course was originally designed by Willie Park in 1912, but a myriad of designers have had a hand in Formby's evolution. These include Braid (1922), Colt (1926), and the teams of FG Hawtree & JH Taylor (1933) and Pennink & Steel (1980).  This evolution has continued in fairly recent years with bunkers being altered and moved to cope with the modern game.  Even with many hands in the till, Formby presents a varied, yet unified design.  There is no defined style of shaping or design mantra, therefore holes such as 6, 11 & 15 are not out of step with newer holes such as 7 & 8.  Formby is well thought of as a championship test and has hosted the Amateur four times. In 1987 JM Olazabal beat C Montgomerie in the final.  Most recently, in 2009, M Manessaro became the first Italian to win the Amateur.  As can be the case, the pedigree of championships doesn't lessen the undeniable charm of Formby.   Its combination of heather, firs and sandy turf make for a standout course among the many Merseyside links. 

Freshfields Station is a short walk from the club gates and the tracks feature on the opening three holes which in the old days were known as the plains.  The effect of the plains was dramatically reduced when In the 1970s trees were planted to block out the train line.  Perhaps the club should reconsider this decision and instead embrace the history of the area in the way many clubs in Great Britain & Ireland do.  The plains are defined by the bunker placement and are fairly straightforward with the strategies self evident, though they do require some playing to earn pars.

The second is not unlike the 1st in how it looks, but it plays very differently.  Heather creeps in from the left and a raised green makes for interesting recoveries.  Not long ago the right fairway bunkers were shifted left to narrow the driving lane.  There have been other bunker changes on the course such as a new bunker on #7, but mainly shapes have been made more circular. 

The course really comes alive with the 3rd.  The bunkers are still the defining element of the hole, but this wonderful short par 5 oozes with options off the tee and for the second.  Five ill-defined bunkers guard the left side of the fairway essentially making the player choose his bite size.

A good drive leaves the player with the option of trying to force a shot home, layup short of the bunkers or try to carry the centre bunker (pictured below), but still layup.  This picture reveals how punishing the bunkering is, but it doesn't reveal the sly nature of the green - it runs front to back making it very difficult to snuggle up to the flag with the third let alone second. 

The short par four 4th has hidden bunkers out to the right to protect against gaining the best approach angle too easily.  The bunkers near the green obscure the view for the approach.

The original Colt 5th is a lovely short hole.  The green angles away from the tee making rear hole placements particularly tough to access.

Things start to really crank up on the 6th.  The hole slips to the left and features a blind approach to a tricky green with a ridge running through the left side. This must be one of the original holes Park designed.  The deception off the tee is marvelous. One can guess there is more room left than it appears, but how much more?

The blind approach covers some rough ground to a green which looks like a punchbowl but doesn't play like one as the left side falls-away.

Steel & Pennink carried out major alterations to holes 7-10 in the late 70s. I never saw Formby in its previous state, but it is difficult to imagine the old stretch was more compelling than these new holes.  As a group they are well conceived and over terrific land. It makes me wonder why this land wasn't originally utilized.  The 7th kicks off the new section of the course, but the 5th and 6th flow seamlessly with these newer holes. 

A good drive to the left affords a view of the green, but one may be left with the ball below their feet.  A better stance can be had out to the right, but the approach is blind.  The strongly sloping back to front green lies amidst the dunes and is a tough target.  This is a great example of a virtually bunker free hole that is very entertaining.   

This photo looking back up the fairway reveals the snaking and uphill nature of the hole.

The long holes at Formby are rarely mentioned as an oustanding set, but when taken as a whole, all three are very different and well designed. The 8th is a fine par 5 turning back on #7.  It is very easy to leak one over the fairway ledge on either side; in this respect the drive is not unlike Rye's 4th.  The smart play is a layup, but an aggressive play up the left or hooking with the contours can leave a mid-iron or less to the green.  The approach is all carry and depth perception is difficult.

A big drive can finish in the rough which breaks the fairway some 190 yards short of the two-tier green. 

A look at the green from near the 9th tee.

The 9th is unusual in that a wide vista is on offer on the tee and has been made especially inviting due to tree clearance on the right which offers views to the sea.  A false dogleg is created by the cut of the fairway and many folks are lured off line to the right.   

As on the 6th the approach is once again obscured by broken ground.  This is a very clever technique which is effective yet simple to implement.

There is oodles of space to run a ball up.  I believe the old 7th green was just shy of the current green. The course used to play to the sea after the 7th before coming back to a green just to right of today's 10th green. The old 8 & 9 greens were swallowed up by the beach. They looked to be fine holes judging by old photos.

I believe a fairway from right of the 10th tee used to play to the greensite of this converted par 3.   We are at the furthest extent of the course which still allows a view of the land by the sea that was abandoned for the new holes.  Its a shame there are only three short holes, but like the par 5s, a fine variety is on display and one couldn't point to any as a weakness. 

The 11th continues the great fun that is Formby.  There is a blind bunker left to keep folks honest, a re-occuring theme at Formby.

The approach is quite daunting as it seems to narrow the closer one gets to the hole.  Below is a look at the approach and the rather unusual step-up just shy of the green.

A look back toward the tee.

From here there are more quite radical differences to the 1912 layout. Formby doesn't let up...another Colt original, the 12th is a cracker with the fairway narrowing and plunging out of sight.  I think the bunker to the right used to be blind and that a bank near the tee may have been shaved.  Like a handful of other holes on the course, there is a rise in front of the green and a hidden bunker left. 

The 13th takes us back toward the house and to one of the coolest fairways on the course.  From the tee you only see a few bunkers.  Once over the slight rise one can see a sea of sand.  The green rests in a saddle between the dunes. 

The approach from up the gut of the fairway.

The green.

The 14th continues back toward the clubhouse.  From the tee it looks like the player wants to hug the left to shorten the hole.  The left may leave a shorter approach, but it can also leave an awkward angle or a blind shot...choose your medicine. You instead of playing around the right of the practice ground, this used to play through the practice ground as a fairway then bend right.

The hole swings harder left than it would seem.  The green is also a tough target as it angles slightly away from the fairway.

A post 1912 hole, the 15th turns away from the clubhouse.  One can sense that the second will be blind.  Laying up isn't a bad option as anything falling off the fairway in either direction more or less leaves a hack back into play.  By my count that is a 13 hole stretch of damn near the highest quality. A golfer will be hard pressed to see such varied terrain and shot making requirements as holes 3-15 offer.

The approach can often be blind over yet another broken fairway and to a green between sentinel dunes.  A large drive is required to earn the view below. 

A short one-shotter, although fairly modern in how the hole feels, 16 is not without some merit.  The green is bigger than it appears from the tee, but still a small target befitting its short yardage.  Below is a look at the green well in front of the tee.

We once again return to the flat terrain for the finishing holes. 17 used to be played in the opposite direction as the 16th in 1912. The old 17th and the 18th tee are now housing. This last par 5 is not as compelling as the first two, but the reachable length combined with the difficult to hold green give it a twist.  However, I wonder if this hole would be better served as a par 4 with a reconfiguration of the bunkering.  A new bunker has been added up the right to thwart flat bellies.  The approach.

These flat holes remind me of Wallasey and Hoylake.  They are good golf, but unlike much of the remainder of the course, bunkers are heavily relied upon to create the interest and challenge.  Although, the 18th fairway bleeds beautifully into the old green causing depth perception difficulties. This tactic is especially effective on the last because the green is some 45 yards deep. 

Formby has three main elements in its favour.  First and foremost, the terrain is marvelously varied.  All sorts of shots are required and this has to be the goal if a course of quality is to be built. Second, it isn't often mentioned, but Formby has an interesting set of greens which are tricky without being over-bearing.  Finally, courses with different designers involved can be incongruous.  While Formby had a host of architects who worked on the course, it still presents itself as a unified whole that hasn't in the least suffered for its disjointed design history. Its probably the case that that the consistent use of round pot bunkers ties the holes together stylistically.  If I was going to nit pick, some trees could stand to come out and the course would probably be better served by a more dynamic style of bunkering. 

While Formby isn't the most well known of the the glutton of fine links in the northwest of England, this author believes Formby to be the best course in northern England; just pipping Ganton, Hoylake & Birkdale to the post.  A stop at Formby would grace any tour of England. My respect and enjoyment of the course and club is such that if there was a drivable par 4 or two I would be inclined to bump Formby up a star.  1*  2017

Formby Ladies
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,60714.msg1438944.html#msg1438944

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 05, 2023, 03:43:39 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Brent Hutto

Re:FORMBY
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2007, 06:26:50 PM »
I was chatting with a member in Formby's locker room and he said that they get the comment about "not a links" all the time regarding the turf. He wasn't quite ready to agree but said that because of the heavy amount of play the course receives year-round, their cultivation practices are more fertilizer-heavy than any of the other links courses in the area. This results in a higher proportion of firmer bladed grasses and the ball tends to sit differently than on a links and also be "too green" in appearance.

He suggested if I were interested in this issue I should play a round at the Formby Ladies course. Same soil, same weather (the Ladies course is actually circumscribed by the Formby course) but they stick to a more traditional links maintenance regimen and he claimed you could tell the difference from the first iron shot you hit there. Unfortunately, Mike Whitaker and I couldn't bring ourselves to pass up another round at Formby in order to play the Ladies so investigation of that claim awaits a return visit.

For my part, the turf at Formby does not offer the same experience as up the road on the Royal Birkdale course. I would have to say the Birkdale turf was as good a ball striking experience as I'd had in my limited visits to links courses and in comparison Formby is on a different level. I'd rather hit iron shots off Formby's turf than, for instance, Walton Heath's or Alwoodley's but it's a close call.

As for the trees, heather and so forth also contributing to Sean's "not a links" impression I can not say I agree. I loved the effect of the rather well-grouped tree copses combined with linksy winds and humpity-bumpity terrain. I never had a moment's parkland vibe off the Formby links, even in the most tree-lined holes on the front nine. In my book it is a links with somewhat dodgy turf, but a links indeed.

Sean_A

Re:FORMBY
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2007, 06:47:02 PM »
I was chatting with a member in Formby's locker room and he said that they get the comment about "not a links" all the time regarding the turf. He wasn't quite ready to agree but said that because of the heavy amount of play the course receives year-round, their cultivation practices are more fertilizer-heavy than any of the other links courses in the area. This results in a higher proportion of firmer bladed grasses and the ball tends to sit differently than on a links and also be "too green" in appearance.

He suggested if I were interested in this issue I should play a round at the Formby Ladies course. Same soil, same weather (the Ladies course is actually circumscribed by the Formby course) but they stick to a more traditional links maintenance regimen and he claimed you could tell the difference from the first iron shot you hit there. Unfortunately, Mike Whitaker and I couldn't bring ourselves to pass up another round at Formby in order to play the Ladies so investigation of that claim awaits a return visit.

For my part, the turf at Formby does not offer the same experience as up the road on the Royal Birkdale course. I would have to say the Birkdale turf was as good a ball striking experience as I'd had in my limited visits to links courses and in comparison Formby is on a different level. I'd rather hit iron shots off Formby's turf than, for instance, Walton Heath's or Alwoodley's but it's a close call.

As for the trees, heather and so forth also contributing to Sean's "not a links" impression I can not say I agree. I loved the effect of the rather well-grouped tree copses combined with linksy winds and humpity-bumpity terrain. I never had a moment's parkland vibe off the Formby links, even in the most tree-lined holes on the front nine. In my book it is a links with somewhat dodgy turf, but a links indeed.

Brent

Its not the trees or heather that puts me off, though trees in the winter do no favours for drainage, its all the low lying stuff you see growing as you walk about.  Loads of broad leaf grasses that just don't appear on properly maintained links.  This course is well into a transition stage and if they don't take immediate steps like Burnham and Deal have chosen to do, this place will go into decline.  I reckon it will be harder and harder to mainatin the greens properly without more fertilizers.  If I was a member, I would be very concerned because the single biggest definer of a links is the turf - imo.  Even so, I like the course ton!

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 06:47:58 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Brent Hutto

Re:FORMBY - All 18
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2007, 06:56:44 PM »
The first morning we were there, during breakfast we could see a fellow wearing gloves of some kind out along the hedgerow from seventeen green back toward the clubhouse bending down and picking up bit of grass or whatnot. A bit later he was sitting at a table with the club secretary (if I'm not mistaken, one of the officers anyway) and the course superintendent having a spirited discussion about rhyzomes, percentages of this or that species, weather patterns and who knows what all.

So maybe he was a fertilizer or seed salesman or perhaps he was consulting w.r.t. some of the issues you mention. I would think the margin of the course in that area is a telling transition between the linksy and non-linksy portions. Or maybe not,  know from nothing about agronomy. I just know that that hitting down on a 5-iron real hard from a tight fairway lie at Birkdale makes my tummy warm and fluttery in a downright unseemly way. More of that would be a good thing and Formby doesn't seem to quite have it right now.

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2007, 07:18:59 PM »
Brent

Yep, I like Birkdale a load as well, but I don't think its that much better than Formby to justify the huge difference in green fee.  I know many on this site treat architecture like art.  That may be true, but what I want to do is play the game, not walk a course for the "artistic experience".  As such, like anything I consider spending money on, I expect good value.  So it shouldn't be surprising that I don't have a lot of time for a club that wants to charge me £150 in the winter when there is a great course just down the road charging £40.

Ciao    

Paul_Turner

« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2007, 08:37:20 PM »
Nice to see Formby.  I wonder why no GCA profile, I can't believe Ran doesn't like this course??

Sad to see that grand old sentinal (oak?) tree is gone from the top of the dune on the 15th.  It was a beauty;  if it was healthy but chopped, then that ranks as the dumbest tree removal ever, equal with the old lime tree on Addington's 10th and the one behind the 15th at NGLA.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 08:37:50 PM by Paul_Turner »
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #6 on: November 18, 2007, 10:36:38 PM »
I like Birkdale a load as well, but I don't think its that much better than Formby to justify the huge difference in green fee.

Sean - I, too, am a big fan of Formby. The 36 holes that Brent and I played there were as much fun as I have had in ages exploring a course unknown to me; and, I would love to visit again... especially for a £40 golf & lunch deal!!! But for you to say that Birkdale is not at least 3 times a better course than Formby is amazing to me (based on price). Birkdale is a masterpiece (note the "art" reference) that I would play in a five or six to one ratio with Formby... all things being equal. But, everything isn't equal, is it? So my thrifty pocketbook would force a reverse of ratio in Formby's favor. But, that aside, IMHO Birkdale is 10 times the course that Formby offers. As I have said in other posts, it might be the best course I have ever played... it's definitely one of my top five. Formby is the kind of course one could enjoyably play every day, not unlike Alwoodley. But, as we southerners say, "It ain't no Birkdale!"

As for Formby's turf: Brent and I found it to play more like a course with lightly overseeded bermuda fairways... it was firm enough for a good fairway bounce with the driver and approach shots, but was ever so slightly "cushiony" with more nap than I have seen on other links courses. This allowed the ball to sit up a bit so that shots could sometimes be swept off the fairway instead of requiring the sharpe blow that is usually required on links turf.

Let's arrange a £40 visit to Formby the next time I am in England. I can take the train up from London.
« Last Edit: November 18, 2007, 10:45:55 PM by Michael Whitaker »
"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #7 on: November 18, 2007, 11:08:53 PM »
Damn...I absolutely detested those little fuzzy children's "toys" that talked nonsense gibberish to you that were all the rage in the mid-90s.  

A pox on you Sean, for even reminding me of them.   >:( >:( >:(

;)
« Last Edit: November 19, 2007, 12:44:43 PM by MPCirba »

Ed Tilley

« Reply #8 on: November 19, 2007, 03:57:41 AM »
Don't want to tread on your toes Sean but, filling in the gaps, here are some pictures of the first 2 holes.

Number 1.

2nd drive

Raised green at 2

Wonderful course - as Sean says it's not easy to categorise (links/heath/parkland) but, whatever it is, it's quality golf from start to finish.

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #9 on: November 19, 2007, 09:30:16 AM »
Thanks Sean!  I enjoyed your images and words on Formby so much this AM, that I went to their website for the course guide, history, etc. Here are the changes over the years...

The original 18 hole course was redesigned by the famous Willie Park and a plan of the course (dated 1912) is displayed in the Hall Bar. Alongside is the 1994 plan showing the changes that have taken place in the intervening years.

James Braid changed the original 15th - 18th layout in 1922 to provide extra length and to move the 17th when it was realised that Shireburn Road and the houses were to be constructed to its right. A Stand of Conifers was planted, some of which remain today.

Minor changes were introduced by Messrs Hawtree & Taylor in 1933, but the latest major change took place in the early 1970's.

Following the construction of the Container Docks in Liverpool, which in turn affected the course of the River Mersey, it was realised that we were losing yards of shoreline near the 8th & 9th greens. In 1972 the high equinox spring tides undermined the sandhills and gale force winds regularly blew the loosened sand across the 8th green. The Council investigated ways of combating the erosion but in the end decided to construct new holes taking the course away from the shoreline.

New holes at 7, 8 & 9 were designed by Donald Steel of Frank Pennick & Partners, and a new 10th Tee playing to the existing 10th Green turned this into a short hole. These holes came into play in the early 80's and were used for the 1984 Amateur Championship.

Over recent years a few changes have been made but most are of a “tweaking” nature:
Trees were planted in the early 70's to the right of the 1st, 2nd & 3rd holes, thus screening the railway
New bunkers have been created at the 4th, 6th & 11th and others redesigned
In 1997 fairway watering was introduced onto 5 holes
In 1998 new back Tees were built to provide a “Blue” course which has extended the length to 6993 yards (SSS 74) but more importantly has brought back into play, for the scratch golfer, most of the original drive-length bunkers.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Philip Gawith

« Reply #10 on: November 19, 2007, 10:59:56 AM »
Thanks Sean - I had forgotten about the extent to which Formby include some real dunes and undulation.

Steve Okula

« Reply #11 on: November 19, 2007, 02:05:31 PM »
Formby is currently advertising for a course manager, on the BIGGA web-site, in case anyone is interested.
The small wheel turns by the fire and rod,
the big wheel turns by the grace of God.

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2007, 08:37:06 AM »

I enjoyed Formby immensely and would relish a return a visit.  If foks are interested in taking advantage of the £160 for a 4 ball deal sometime between now and March 30, let me know.  If we get four I can try to arrange it.  

Ciao

Sean
Great photos as ever - you do an excellent job of highlighting the great courses in the UK which are just below the top tier in the public perception.  Count me in for a meet up sometime before now & 30 March, although from a work point of view February/March would be preferable.
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2007, 10:59:35 AM »
Formby is currently advertising for a course manager, on the BIGGA web-site, in case anyone is interested.

Steve,

you beat me to it. It suprises me that the turf quality is changing as they have had the same course manager for quite a few years. Maybe they have experienced an excesively wet year that is encouraging the broader bladed grasses. I haven't played Formby for quite a few years now but I remember the turf being of solid links/heathland quality.

Sean, did you get time to play the ladies course next door? Well worth the effort, great fun!

Sean_A

Re: FORMBY - All 18 All Again
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2008, 08:15:31 PM »
Blast this new non-delete feature.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 02, 2009, 06:09:22 AM by Sean Arble »

David_Tepper

« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2008, 10:56:44 PM »
What a classic English clubhouse and the course ain't too shabby either! ;)

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2008, 06:58:28 AM »
Another not-a-links. I really do suspect this problem is bigger than many let on.

Sean, that middle stretch of which you are fond: are the holes as narrow as many appear in the photographs?

Thanks for posting,
Mark

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #17 on: December 15, 2008, 07:16:58 AM »
Take another look at this superb course.  The tour is updated and I am more impressed than ever.

Ciao

Sean
Thanks for the reminder of how good Formby looks.

If you fancy a meet up before the end of March please let me know.

Michael Wharton-Palmer

« Reply #18 on: December 15, 2008, 11:10:20 AM »
Sean,
Great pictures, great to see the course again.
I really like Formby, played the British Boys there one year and have played in "THE HARE' a few times, both before and after the changes.
The 40 pounds is a steal...and I remember how good thier lunch is!

Mark_Rowlinson

« Reply #19 on: December 15, 2008, 12:44:58 PM »
Good to see genuine appreciation of this course, which I love very much. I haven't played it for some years, so I would be very happy to make up a 4-ball. The last golf I saw there was the Curtis Cup in which the American team featured Michelle Wie and Paula Creamer. My (then teenage) son was quite smitten with Miss Creamer!

Sean_A

« Reply #20 on: December 15, 2008, 12:54:16 PM »
Another not-a-links. I really do suspect this problem is bigger than many let on.

Sean, that middle stretch of which you are fond: are the holes as narrow as many appear in the photographs?

Thanks for posting,
Mark

Mark

Its a nasty little secret, but traditional links courses are far and few between these days.  I have probably seen a handful in recent years (Strandhill, North Wales, Channel Course at Burnham, Carne, Pennard, Castletown - are you beginning to see a pattern here - any course that his very well known or caters to touristas doesn't play like a proper links should).  I don't care what anybody says, once a modern watering system is slapped in I think its awfully tough for the powers that be not to turn it on.  Its sort of like a general with his army.  By god he wants to use it or why have it or him or at all?

7-10 (well certainly not 9 & 10) aren't that narrow.  Mind you, when the rough is down its hard to be a fair judge of the matter.  For instance, on the 8th I never looked at the fairway.  I knew the rough wasn't harsh down the left and if I could pull off the short cut I had a great birdie chance.  There was no way I was going to miss right and I don't have any idea of the rough on that side of the fairway.  I can see #7 being a bit tight because the left side must be a nightmare in the summer - but one can always layup to the fat part of the fairway.

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 17, 2008, 06:34:05 PM by Sean Arble »

Richard Boult

« Reply #21 on: December 17, 2008, 05:18:57 PM »

Sean_A

Re: FORMBY Retread: 2009 Winter Tour of England
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2009, 08:20:56 PM »
Take a look. 

Ciao

Andrew Mitchell

Re: FORMBY Retread: 2009 Winter Tour of England
« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2009, 06:25:13 AM »
Sean

Thanks for reminding me what I'm missing ;)  That's two abortive attempts at playing Formby.

I have contacted the club to attempt to reschedule and will let you know the outcome.

Sean_A

Re: FORMBY Retread: 2009/10 Winter Tour of England
« Reply #24 on: March 07, 2010, 06:28:01 PM »
Another update from the Winter Tour of England & Wales.  

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 08:24:17 AM by Sean Arble »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back