News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re:Did Tillinghast "Sell Out"?
« Reply #375 on: April 09, 2004, 03:41:17 PM »
"Hungry Mother Park was just the tip of the iceberg. At the same time Tilly was dispatched to HMP, the PGA also announced they would be developing 500 to 600 new golf courses with the help of the Federal Goverment...with Tilly as the point man."

Tom MacW:

Is that a fact? Well maybe you are onto something with Tillie and with other more interesting info. I'm basically not buying your premise that he sold his principles or compromised them over DH zone bunkering simply because of what I see him saying previously (which you of course don't agree with).

But you think Tillie was going to be the point man for 500-600 government funded new golf courses do you? That is interesting and would seem to be a real change and departure for him particularly regarding this story that he just hated WPA course construction labor and may have walked away from Bethpage over it.

Produce some solid evidence along this line of thinking and maybe you are on to something about the poor wretch selling his soul and his architectural principles.

Maybe Mike Cirba is onto something too that this was the beginning of the modern age when concern was only for the good player and what interested and challenged the duffer was left in the dustbin.

You probably think I'm trying to outflank you at every turn---but nothing of the kind. Let's see what you've got on this one.

T_MacWood

« Reply #376 on: April 09, 2004, 04:52:52 PM »
TE
I'd be disapointed if you didn't stick to your guns....despite the evidence. I reckon you'll also turn a bilind eye to Phil's finding that Tilly didn't hit the bottle....sad as it is.

If George Crump came back from the dead and told you Colt co-designed PVGC...you'd call him a liar and pour yourself another drink.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #377 on: April 09, 2004, 05:08:37 PM »
Tom,

You wrote, "I reckon you'll also turn a bilind eye to Phil's finding that Tilly didn't hit the bottle....sad as it is."

There we have the problem in a nutshell! I NEVER said that! If you CAREFULLY read what I wrote, you would not say that.

In commenting to TEPaul about his statement of Tilly's drinking, I wrote, "Though you may have meant this tongue-in-cheek or were serious, this side of Tillinghast's life & lifestyle has been wrongly reported and greatly misinterpreted.

I base this on interviews with ALL of his grandchildren, copies of medical records going back to the twenties, and a number of other witness stories. This will be a very surprising part of the biography that I am doing, and if you'd like to know more, you can read it in November."

Now where in there did I say that he didn't drink or drink to excesses or have an alcohol problem?  

You will understand better when the book comes out!

Rick Wolffe

« Reply #378 on: April 09, 2004, 05:41:14 PM »
Tom M., the 500 new WPA/PGA courses is new and interesting info.  Perhaps PGA President George Jacobus was trying to cut a  major deal for the PGA with the WPA, and that is why he let Tillie make these few detours from courses without PGA pros.  

In regard to Bel -Air, someone needs to confirm if the DH's Tillie recommended removing were ever removed.

In reading the letters, Tilly's primary criticism of WPA projects was thay they did not hire a local golf architect for the work and the project suffered.  Here is an example.  I will post another after dinner.  

Deming, New Mexico
March 11th 1937

President of the P.G.A.
(Box 231, Sarasota, Florida)

Dear Sir:

When I registered at the hotel here, the clerk, who plays golf at the local nine holes course here at Deming (no professional) recognized my name immediately telephoned the town officials of my presence.  They, in turn, notified J.Y. Rogers, who is directing a building of a new nine holes under the W.P.A. program.

Mr. Rogers came to the hotel tonight and talked with me until nearly midnight.  He was hungry for information and of course I gave him all possible advice.  However he knew very little about a modern golf course and it is rather pathetic to consider that money, and Government assistance, should be so misdirected.  Certainly the W.P.A. should take immediate steps to check carefully on all contemplated golf course work.

Although there are some six hundred acres available the new nine holes are crowded on approximately forty acres.  While turf (Bermuda) is being provided for the fairways with ditched irrigation, there will be no grass on the putting greens (if such they may be called)  Formerly, on the old course, they used a composition known as Magnatite.  Now they propose to use another similar by-product.  The teeing grounds are to be small platforms inside two-by-fours and of Adobe.  The plans for one of the short holes provided for a shot over trees to a blind green.  The plans for the course were prepared by the local city engineer.

Now there is no sense in all this.  It is an unnecessary revertion to very antiquated and long disused details.   They are doing no better because they know no better.  Certainly the W.P.A. should guard against such waste.

However I went over many details with Mr. Rogers and he told me that I had helped the work tremendously and that certain mistakes, which they were about to make, would be avoided according to my suggestions.

Rick Wolffe

« Reply #379 on: April 09, 2004, 05:42:43 PM »

Very truly yours

A.W. Tillinghast

AWT

This routine report is transcribed on my arrival at Dallas, because my type-writer was packed away in the trunk compartment of my care when at Deming.

T_MacWood

« Reply #380 on: April 09, 2004, 06:39:23 PM »
Phil
Thank God...I was worried there for a while. I don't think anyone will or won't buy your book if you reveal Tilly was a "good" drinker. Just as I don't believe anyone will think less of Tilly's great accomplishments if you find he was forced to compromise his previous design practices under dificult circumstances...after all the result the PGA tour was a mixed bag--some good, some bad.

RW
From your letters my impression is that they weren't removed at Bel-Air.

At the 1936 PGA meeting, Jacobus announced an arrangement between the PGA and the Federal Goverment that would result in 500-600 new public courses. The goverment will furnish the funds and the work will be done with the advice of the PGA.

Tillinghast was to inspect all the proposed sites. Here is a line I wish I had included in my Bethpage essay: "Tillinghast laid out and supervised the construction of the four 18-hole courses at Beth Page State Park, near Farmingdale...."

"According to my understanding," Tillinghast said, "any golf course development with goverment assistance will depend on initiative by individual communities. the exact percentage of the cost borne by the goverment is something of which I am not yet certain."

It sounds like Tilly was a little more realistic about the prospects than Jacobus. Jacobus was probably using the announcement to get re-elected.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2004, 08:06:07 PM by Tom MacWood »

TEPaul

« Reply #381 on: April 09, 2004, 07:14:50 PM »
"If George Crump came back from the dead and told you Colt co-designed PVGC...you'd call him a liar".

I can't imagine why you say that. If George Crump came back and SHOWED you and Paul Turner exactly what he really did do, though, I've no doubt at all you'd call him a liar just like you've implied J.A. Brown, Warner Shelly, Jim Finegan and everyone else from PVGC you keep saying are trying to discredit Harry Colt. Those three people have logged about 150 years in down there and you've never even been there. I've heard of arrogance but that takes the cake!

;)

Rick Wolffe

« Reply #382 on: April 09, 2004, 08:21:57 PM »
Here is another letter with a slam on the WPA.  Again IMO Tilly was not happy that the WPA would fund construction work but not fund a golf course architect.  

Saint Paul, Minnesota
April 28th 1937

President of the P.G.A.

Dear Sir:

This afternoon I visited the course of the Highland Park Golf Course, one of the municipal courses here, at the request of P.G.A. member Winton Christianson.  I made a complete examination of the entire 18 holes accompanied by Christianson, Pat Kane (Greenkeeper) Fred W. Traux (Park Commissioner) Jack Holmes (Superintendent of City golf courses) Don Garland (Chairman of the Green Committee) and H.S. Huron (President of the club)  The synopsis of my findings is enclosed for our office files and a copy prepared for Christianson and the officials.

Recent W.P.A. work here has been more or less wasted,- about 50% effective I should say.  I gave them numerous suggestions, which will improve the very obvious short-comings of the construction of the course, and at comparatively little cost as carried through a period of four or five years.

Tomorrow morning I am scheduled to examine another of the municipal courses here and in addition give opinions on recent construction work on two other courses, one of which I outlined when here last year.

Very truly yours

A.W. Tillinghast

AWT

TEPaul

« Reply #383 on: April 09, 2004, 09:12:20 PM »
Another factual nugget from Tom MacWood;

"Hungry Mother Park was just the tip of the iceberg. At the same time Tilly was dispatched to HMP, the PGA also announced they would be developing 500 to 600 new golf courses with the help of the Federal Goverment...with Tilly as the point man."

Tom MacW:

Before we go on another wild goose chase discussion let’s see you prove Tillinghast was the point man for a 500-600 golf course government project?

TE
I'd be disapointed if you didn't stick to your guns....despite the evidence. I reckon you'll also turn a bilind eye to Phil's finding that Tilly didn't hit the bottle....sad as it is.

From Phil;

“Tom,
You wrote, "I reckon you'll also turn a bilind eye to Phil's finding that Tilly didn't hit the bottle....sad as it is."
There we have the problem in a nutshell! I NEVER said that! If you CAREFULLY read what I wrote, you would not say that.”

Tom MacWood’s reply:

“Phil
Thank God...I was worried there for a while.”

Tom MacW:

I‘d be worried too if I my reading comprehension was as odd as yours is. That’s probably the primary reason this thread is 16 pages long.

Phil:

I have no real idea if Tillie hit the bottle too excess---I'm joking about that but I do like that aura about him--it sort of goes with his times. If he hit the bottle he was by no means alone in his architecture crowd---and in the best of circumstances it probably added to his creativity.  ;)

T_MacWood

« Reply #384 on: April 11, 2004, 12:47:53 AM »
TE
Oh ye of little faith. I'm sorry for not making what is tonue in cheek and what is not more obvious.

If you are interested, the announcement was reported in a number of major newspapers (NY, Chicago, etc)...included in the articles was a description of Tilly's responsibilities. I suggest you look it up if you have any doubts.

TEPaul

« Reply #385 on: April 11, 2004, 07:52:07 AM »
"TE
Oh ye of little faith."

Tom:

I guess you're right about that. I don't know if I'm ready to accuse a man of compromising his architectural principles if that's the case here simply because something was written about him even if it was in newspapers in the great cities of Chicago and New York.

What is the significance to you, regarding Tillinghast, of the 500-600 proposed golf courses to be built under government funding (WPA) during this era if he was the point man? Does it relate to the subject of this thread? And if not I wonder why it was mentioned in the first place. And secondly, does it make any difference in your mind if it was just reported and never done or if it was done?

"I reckon you'll also turn a bilind eye to Phil's finding that Tilly didn't hit the bottle....sad as it is."

I don't know if I would or wouldn't turn a blind eye to that. How about if we first find out where Phil said that? Where did Phil say that?  ;)

You made the statement of the 500-600 proposed WPA courses---if it has any relevence to this thread why don't you produce the info if you know where it is? If it's relevent I'm sure we'd all like to know that.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 08:09:28 AM by TEPaul »

T_MacWood

« Reply #386 on: April 11, 2004, 09:38:57 AM »
Doubting TE
To be honest I'm not sure what the significance of this proposed project might be, its just another fact to add to what we already know...I prefer to gather as much info as possible. If you don't think it is interesting or significant or pertains to this subject ignore it....that's your choice.

What do you want...you didn't like the exerpts I quoted from the article. I'd give you the date and the newspaper/magazine, but you don't strike me as someone who spends a lot of time digging though old books, magazines and newspapers....so I don't know what good it would do you.

Would you like me to send it to you....along with the rest of my research on Tilly (I think you've already requested all my research on GCGC so someone astute might go over it)? Give me your address...I'll mail you the article.

Phil wrote, first quoting you:

"'1. What he did in the mornings on site when he had a real hangover. Mostly this category is odd, makes no real sense, appears mean spirited and such.

2. What he did in the second half of the day after he'd had the chance to really get back into his flask and get creative, gutsy and adventurous with his architecture. Late Day Tillie architecture is generally markedly better than morning Tillie architecture. Matter of fact there's no comparison at all his late day architecture is so much better!'

Though you may have meant this tongue-in-cheek or were serious, this side of Tillinghast's life & lifestyle has been wrongly reported and greatly misinterpreted."

I opologize for misinterpreting Phil's cryptic remarks....I'm still not certain what the hell he is trying say....do you know?
« Last Edit: April 11, 2004, 01:50:50 PM by Tom MacWood »

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #387 on: April 11, 2004, 09:43:36 AM »
Do you guys like to argue, or what? :)

I can tell you I stopped reading this basically two man thread 12 pages ago.  I would love to have analyzed the view stats on the thread to see if everyone else had tired of it as well.

Hell, even Tommy and I halt the ASGCA threads after a few pages!
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

T_MacWood

« Reply #388 on: April 11, 2004, 09:56:25 AM »
Jeff
If you are interested in history and Tillinghast (especially the latter part of his career) you should read the thread.

One of the reasons this thread is so long is because RW generously printed out many of Tilly's letters. As interesting as the ASGCA arguement might be, there was actually a significant amount of new information presented on this thread....I realize this might not be everyone's bag.

TEPaul

« Reply #389 on: April 11, 2004, 10:00:24 AM »
"Do you guys like to argue, or what?"

Jeff:

Yes we do. This is no longer about whether or not Tillinghast compromised his architectural principles, in my opinion, it's about how research is done, how material is read and analyzed and various eras should be looked at to determine the most accurate answers to these sorts of questions. Obviously Tom MacWood and I have some very different ideas on that.

But you're right---enough of all this on this thread. There's probably little question, though, that it'll happen again on other threads!   ;)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #390 on: April 11, 2004, 10:02:28 AM »
Jeff Brauer;

Beyond the depth of historical artifacts so kindly displayed by Rick Wolffe here, you'll also get to see some amazing photos and artist's interpretations of some pretty wild coincidences.

Stick with it when you have a week to kill.  ;)  ;D

TEPaul

« Reply #391 on: April 11, 2004, 10:06:14 AM »
I very much agree with the last thing Tom MacWood said there. If there're viewers or contributors who aren't interested in various threads or who tire of them simply don't read them! There sure are a lot of threads on here I don't read because I have no interest in the subject or what's being said about it.

So what, why would I complain about them if they interest others? There sure isn't anything about this website that I'm aware of that says everyone should be interested in everything that's discussed on here.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #392 on: April 11, 2004, 03:25:39 PM »
Tried to reread it.  Perhaps by next Easter.....

If someone sees value in continuing an argument over "selling out" so be it. My mistake.....play shall continue!

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #393 on: April 11, 2004, 06:31:37 PM »
Well then, as much for Jeff as for a few others is this portion of the speech that Tillinghast gave to the PGA convention in 1936 that I juts came across. For those who maintain that his attitude toward bunkers and removing those whose sole purpose was to punish the poor player and none other was "philosophical change," consider this:

"I am the duffers' Santa Claus, for over twenty years I have championed the cause of the 'forgotten man' of golf, the duffer who cannotbreak 90 and who comprise over 90% of our vast army of golfers. The future progress of this game depends entirely upon the active interest of the average divot digging member. The trend has been to sock the helpless and hopeless dub with courses that are almost impossible for them to negotiate. I am against it, the P.G.A. is against it and every sound thinking professional is against it. I am the duffers' candidate, and shall continue to defend them until my last breath."

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #394 on: April 11, 2004, 08:06:48 PM »
Phillip,

Thank you!  From his own mouth, the AWT philosophy!

I think that the Golden Age designers all thought they were helping the average Joe by removing forced carries in favor of diagonal fairways and carries with options around.  Perhaps distance advances and economics accelerated that trend in the 30's, but they did feel that all the time!

Will this still be going next Masters time, or does that settle it?

Rick Wolffe

« Reply #395 on: April 11, 2004, 09:54:41 PM »
What a great Masters finish!  Now, let me get back to this thread.  Are we even close to setting a record for number of posts and views?

I may be misinterpreting some of the thinking here, but it appears to me that there is unhappiness by some that Tilly recommended the elimination of bunkers between the tee and the drive zone.  One explanation for Tilly's actions that has been pretty much refuted is that Tilly changed his philosophy in 1935 and "Sold Out" due to the depression and other unknown factors.  

It may be worth stating an obvious fact that reconstructing or modernizing golf course was not invented by R.T. Jones.  In fact ,it started shortly after the first golf courses in America were built in the 1890's.

I thought it may be worthwile to post the following article from "Gleanings from the Wayside," in which Tilly talks discuss a solution for renovating an old style short par-4 -- which was fine for the gutta percha ball, but is not much of a hole with the modern golf ball.  The article was published in 1937 and I am sorry I don't have the sketches available to post with it.

42. THE UGLY DUCKLING OF THE COURSE

ONE OF THE GREAT problems presented by course Reconstruction is the hole measuring from 300 to 325 yards.  It is a legacy from the old days of the hard ball, the Gutta Percha, and then, when Bogie was tops and Par was unheard of, this type of hole frequently found its way to innumerable courses and indeed, it was a fairish sort of two-shotter.  Then in 1901 the "Bounding Billie" or the first Haskell rubber-cored ball, put in an appearance and hand in hand with it came greater flights, gradually increasing distances with the passing years as annually there were improved methods of manufacture producing even farther flying balls.  

Undoubtedly this feature has carried golf on to the tremendous popularity, which it enjoys today, but certainly for a time it played havoc with courses everywhere.  It was not difficult to design new courses to meet the necessities of a longer game but to transform certain holes on existing courses, that they might measure up to this new condition, often was perplexing.  

Immediately the ugly duckling of the old brood of holes strutted forth – the length mentioned in the opening paragraph.  In the very early days of the rubber-core few indeed, even under the most favoring condition ever drove to the very apron of the green of such a hole, but they did get close enough to kick the ball up to the pin with almost anything for a second shot.  And, as a matter of fact, the hole got to be known as a "Leveler" for any ordinarily good or even middle-class player would be nicely home with two shots of any description – almost.  He could even top his drive badly and with a long iron be right on the green, or level with the opponent who had really hit one from the tee.  So it came to pass that the rebuilders of holes devised a plan to check this.  They greatly reduced the size of the green, surrounded it with close pits, particularly a most forbidding one directly across the front of the green, and then told the players to drive far enough to be able to hold such a green with a short pitch shot which had plenty of bite.  This helped the situation until finally, with balls and clubs, too, providing greater lengths, some of the long boys began to reach that big front pit from the tee.  These were told to use more judgment and if they were afraid of getting the pit with a driver to pipe down to a spoon, which was admirable advice.  

But all the while the real sufferer was my old friend, the man of the great 90%, who cannot break 90 – and his wife and her friends along with her.  These good people could not get far enough to carry that front pit at all and when they did they were forced to use such a long club that the ball would not hold the small green but go scooting over to the maw of the sand pit in the back – all of which the designers of the hole hailed with unholy glee, declaring that its excellent qualities were thus proved.  But were they right?  

In a measure they were, but to a far greater degree they were, and still are as I see it, very wrong, for they were depriving the great majority of the humbler players of golf of the pleasure in the game, which rightfully should be theirs – because they pay for it.  But enough of playing more on that string!  Those who read this are well aware of my sentiments.  

Now let us regard the ugly duckling, as illustrated by Sketch A.  Is it not possible to take this same length and without robbing it in the least of its testing qualities take from it the features which make it hideous to so many?  I submit Sketch B as an answer.  And what is more--it works by ample test and so must not be regarded as mere conjecture.  

It will be noticed that Sketch B presents its long axis to the left of the fairway, which makes it necessary to place the drive over on that side for the Master Trap on the right-front spells trouble for the second shot coming in from the right and incidentally to the narrows of the green toward another trap, which is only a rear hazard if the unfortunate placement of the drive makes it so.  As a matter of fact this trap on the left is not actually necessary for the Master Trap is the true guardian of the gate.  It must be borne in mind, too, that the entire character of the hole might be changed by constructing the green with its opening to the right and reversing the whole scheme.  The terrain and adjoining holes would influence the selection of this.

Now what is presented to the thought of the player on the teeing ground?  Here he must place his drive over on the left half of the fairway to meet with a proper reception for his second, and as far as possible to reduce the length of his pitch-and-run or chipped approach.  If one, Jimmy Thompson, looks out and really wants to go for the green, he may, BUT, that mighty blow must be played with greater-than-usual accuracy, which is precisely what I propose to make all very long hitters do.  And now let us regard Mr. Humbleman.  He has the opportunity of placing his second shot safely to the open side of the green, without the distressing fear of the old Obligatory route over the "Cross Pit," and feels that he may anticipate a careful 5, which after all is the hope of the 90 shooter.  And if he is very fortunate with his approach he may get a par 4. We give him the same opportunity of knocking over a par as is given the par man to snare his "bird."

It will be noted that Sketch B requires but two pits at the most, instead of four as shown by A. Usually the outside slopes of the old type greens, are very sharp, making necessary constant hand cutting.  The outside slopes of B are drawn out and blended to the ratio of one to six.  Power machines will cut all slopes such as these.  And such maintenance methods save considerable from the budget – which is most desirable, is it not so Brethren?

“Yea Verily!”

Rick Wolffe

« Reply #396 on: April 11, 2004, 10:05:52 PM »
Here is another quote from The Course Beautiful, which is from an article written by Tillie in 1923 and which is titled "Giving Individuality to Golf Holes."  IMO the passage captures Tilly's overriding style.  IMO there is nothing to lead me to believe that his style changed in the advice he gave on his PGA tour.

I particularly like his comment that a golf hole "has got to have quality knocked into it until it can hold its head up in polite society."  The full passage from this article follows:

"During the past fifteen years the writer has come in contact with thousands who have their own ideas concerning courses.  During the last five years these lay ideas were advanced in great numbers and along different lines than formerly.  In every section of the country the demand is for sound course, but above all they want to be frank, half the time the builders of new courses have no ideas concerning the character of the holes or their distribution, and without hesitation put this squarely up to the architect, trusting to his reputation to produce something which will be worthy.  But the men who play generally do have very pronounced thoughts concerning the general character of the course as a whole.  They ask for holes which will give them pleasure to play, and nine times in ten there is the dominating thought of the beauties of the course.  The study of these desires seems to be the real secret of modern course building, and one cannot conceive any hole which is not featured along well-defined lines which every hole must suggest naturally.  In planning eighteen holes there are thousands of combinations, each offering a mute appeal for recognition.  It is necessary of course, to decide on the collection which will work out economically and satisfactorily from many angles.  But this is sure: every hole must have individuality and be sound.  Often it is necessary to get from one section to another over ground which is not suited to the easiest construction, but that troublesome hole must be made to stand right up in meeting with the others, and if it has not got anything about it that might make it respectable, it has got to have quality knocked into it until it can hold its head up in polite society."

T_MacWood

« Reply #397 on: April 11, 2004, 10:18:42 PM »
Phil & TE
Thank goodness you found that quote and we can finally put the issue to rest.

I take it the golfers in NY were very very bad....Tilly delivered those duffers a lump of coal in the form of Bethpage-Black.

Rick Wolffe

« Reply #398 on: April 11, 2004, 10:24:52 PM »
I thought this obit that Tilly wrote for C.B. MacDonald would be of interest.  I like the contrasting of his style with C.B's.  Tilly ran this obit in his column for "Pacific Coast Golfer" in May of 1939.  Tilly was an Associate Editor with this magazine in the late 1930's while he was living in Beverly Hills and a partner with Billy Bell.  (Sorry about Tilly's shamless plug for CB's book at the end)

"Just as April was drawing to a close, Charles Blair Macdonald died in Southampton, Long Island.  He was eighty-three years of age and the first amateur champion of the United States.  He won the title from a meager feild at Newport, Rhode Ilsand in 1895, a year after the U.S.G.A. was formed.  His birthplace was Niagra Falls, Ontario.  In 1907 Macdonald became interested in planning and building of golf courses, although he was a broker by profession, and after securing models of famous holes on British course of that time, he more or less followed these designs in the building of the National Golf Links of America among the rolling sand dunes near Shinnecock, Long Island.  Some years later he designed the beautiful course, the Mid-Ocean, at Bermuda.  Numerous other courses were designed by him, still following his custom of working severly to the artificial construction of replicas of British golf holes.

I have known Charley Macdonald since the earliest days of golf in this country and for many years we have been rival course architects, and I really mean rivals for in many instances we widely disagreed.  Our manner of designing courses never reconciled.  I stubbornly insisted on following natural suggestions of terrain, creating new types of holes as suggested by Nature, even when resorting to artificial methods of construction.  Charlie, equally convinced that working striclty to models was best, turned out some famous courses.  Throughout the years we argued good naturedly about this and that, always at variance it would seem.  Now he is gone and I can only salute his memory.

In 1928 he published a most ambitious book of reminiscences,-- "Scotland's Gift, Golf.""
 ;)

T_MacWood

« Reply #399 on: April 11, 2004, 10:53:09 PM »
RW
Thanks again for sharing...that last one is very interesting.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back