News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David Stamm

Guess where, a modern pic
« on: April 14, 2008, 08:24:52 PM »
This one should be very easy for some. Simper and Lavallee are not allowed guesses! ;) Pic was taken last fall. Clues to follow, if needed.

"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Adam Clayman

Re: Guess where, a modern pic
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2008, 08:57:12 PM »
Is that Temecula Creek with all the trees grown up?
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

David Stamm

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2008, 08:59:58 PM »
I could see that that could look like Temecula, Adam. But no.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

David Stamm

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2008, 09:21:18 PM »
No other guesses? The hole is a par 3 of about 110 yds and this angle is from the left tee (there is an alternate tee about 30 yds to the right and below this one).

mike_beene

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2008, 10:23:16 PM »
With a little imagination it could be the old 5th at Pebble. Could it be at LACC?

David Stamm

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 10:29:01 PM »
With a little imagination it could be the old 5th at Pebble. Could it be at LACC?

Good guess Mike. You're on the right track.

James Bennett

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2008, 10:47:17 PM »
David

I believe it is a George Thomas design, with a 4 letter word that is difficult to pronounce.  The actual hole number has varied, however the preceding hole is very famous.

How did I do?

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

David Stamm

« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2008, 10:56:57 PM »
David

I believe it is a George Thomas design, with a 4 letter word that is difficult to pronounce.  The actual hole number has varied, however the preceding hole is very famous.

How did I do?

James B

You are spot on, James! The hole is the 3rd (old 12th) at Ojai Valley Inn, one of the somewhat intact Thomas holes there. It's one of my favorite short par 3's anywhere. It's a perilous pitch hole that has alot of danger if you miss the green.

rjsimper

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2008, 06:49:44 AM »
I'm surprised nobody remarked at how awful and tragic this hole looks :D

James Bennett

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2008, 08:42:14 AM »
I recall looking at the back left hole position - wasn't in use when I visited but it would be a doozy.

James B
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

David Stamm

« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2008, 10:29:22 AM »
James, I have played it with that hole location. And it is a doozy. Even with a wedge in your hands, you have to feel really good about going after that flag. As you know, a little long and it's tough, tough up and down. I think it's a very neat little hole.

RJ_Daley

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2008, 10:46:12 AM »
Is it always in that much shade?  I'm surprised there is any turf on it.
No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

David Stamm

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2008, 12:38:09 PM »
Is it always in that much shade?  I'm surprised there is any turf on it.

RJ, the pic was taken about 6:30 in the morning. I walked out on the course a 1/2 hour before the first tee time since my room was only a short walk to this tee. It is a shaded area, but by afternoon it's a non issue.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back