News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

RTJ SR and short par three holes
« on: May 26, 2024, 10:01:56 AM »
I anticipate 1-2 long and brutish, par three holes and 1-2 banal, mid-length par, three holes, on every Robert Trent Jones sr. course that I play. I'm stunned into admiration when I come across a short par three on one of his courses. Two of my favorites are in the Empire state. The 2nd at Colgate University's Seven Oaks and the 3rd at James Baird State Park in Poughkeepsie, are the ones I consider. The former is intentional as the hole that it is, while the later (in my opinion) is a handcuff.

Trent might have gone anywhere after the first green at Colgate, but he chose to build this par three. At Baird,he might have gone directly from 2 green to 4 tee, with only a downhill trot between. Instead, he plopped an isthmus green into the Baird marsh, and gave us a stunning little hole.

15 at Spyglass Hill fits the bill. All three are holes that max out at 140 yards or fewer. Even at a course like Golden Horseshoe, Trent's most interesting collection of par-three holes (or most eerily reminiscent?) all the holes go 25+ yards longer than 140.

Which other, short par threes from RTJ SR are out there? 
Coming in 2024
~Elmira Country Club
~Soaring Eagles
~Bonavista
~Indian Hills
~Maybe some more!!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back