News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

what is your golf passion/obsession
« on: May 25, 2024, 03:53:24 PM »
For years, I wanted to play the GD top 100 list. I can't get further than about 85. It changes too much. I got to 95 on the 2003 list. I've given that obsession up. Someone asked me how many states I've played in. It was all except Kansas, Oklahoma, and Arkansas when I counted. I never set out to play in every state, but I might as well finish it.

I have a friend who played every course in New Jersey. I sponsored a guy at Columbia CC outside DC who wanted to play every US Open course. We all know about Bill Schulz and Paul Rudovsky's accomplishments. Daryl Boe is on a quest to play 3000 courses.

I played Lofoten Links, which I think is the second-most northern course in the world. I thought about traveling to Ushuaia, Argentina, to play the most southern course. Then I thought, this is crazy. I even had my driver bring me to play Caesarea GC when my wife and I were in Israel a few years ago. We can all make up things to do. Twenty years ago, I thought about skiing in 50 different resorts. It's nuts.

So fess up. What's your passion/obsession?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Pierre C

Re: what is your golf passion/obsession
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2024, 05:01:58 PM »
As I've gotten older, my passion is to play what I consider beautiful golf courses - e.g., Cape Kidnappers, CPC, NGLA, Old Head, Cruden Bay, Machrihanish, etc.. Beauty referring to the feeling of zen when you stand on a tee box and absorb the environ.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2024, 09:33:08 PM by Pierre Cruikshank »
"If there is a 50-50 chance that something can go wrong, then nine times out of 10 it will."
— Paul Harvey

Ian_L

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2024, 05:34:07 PM »
I’ve often thought it would be a fun quest to play all the golf clubs granted British royal status. At ~70 courses it is achievable over a lifetime (albeit with a lot of travel), would take you to some interesting and far-flung places, and would be an interesting mix of world class courses and tracks less frequented by tourists. And nearly all allow public play.

I am at three so far, so at this rate I’ll need to live several hundred years to achieve this goal.

Michael Moore

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2024, 05:41:45 PM »
Mashing the ball off the center of the clubface.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2024, 05:43:24 PM »
I’m travelling to India in March 2025 snd we will play a reciprocal round at Royal Calcutta.
Cave Nil Vino

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2024, 08:43:10 PM »
I wanted to pay the top 100 in US and World, did the first, got to 75 in the World and back surgery ended my golf for good.

When I got to 93 or 94, I had to fly to each course, of course the dumbest was flying to Hawaii for 1 round, really dumb.

When I got to 99, my wife called a friend whose dad was a member at Augusta, he said he would play with me, his son but he needed to fly private, so I called a friend, told him my problem (of course, he was the friend with the jet), so he provided the transportation, We stayed overnight in the Bobby Jones cabin, played 18 twice and the par 3, was a great way to finish the top 100.
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Rob Marshall

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2024, 11:06:18 PM »
I wanted to pay the top 100 in US and World, did the first, got to 75 in the World and back surgery ended my golf for good.

When I got to 93 or 94, I had to fly to each course, of course the dumbest was flying to Hawaii for 1 round, really dumb.

When I got to 99, my wife called a friend whose dad was a member at Augusta, he said he would play with me, his son but he needed to fly private, so I called a friend, told him my problem (of course, he was the friend with the jet), so he provided the transportation, We stayed overnight in the Bobby Jones cabin, played 18 twice and the par 3, was a great way to finish the top 100.

Never understood doing those types of things to get on a course but as I approach 62, I now get it. Life is short, “there is no dress rehearsal”. Never hurts to ask as long as you are willing to pay.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Michael Morandi

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2024, 02:12:40 AM »
My passion is to shoot my age on a credible course. Flying private is not a prerequisite or even a desire.

Ken Moum

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2024, 02:12:23 PM »
Tinkering with equipment,  probably to the detriment of scoring.

Except for travel golf, I rarely play two consecutive rounds with the same clubs.

Since getting back from Scotland last October,  I've played ~4 times a week and only used the same bag setup 3-4 times. Usually just swapping a club or two out of the "library" in the garage.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

Joe Bausch

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2024, 04:06:06 PM »
I hope to photodocument every course within the Golf Association of Philadelphia. I have hundreds left to play. I would take the under. 😉
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Ira Fishman

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2024, 04:19:57 PM »
Mashing the ball off the center of the clubface.

Just over 50 years ago, my family took a long driving vacation from Chicago to Toronto to Montreal. I had been playing golf for a few years, and my Dad for even fewer years. We stayed at a resort north of Montreal for several days so that my Dad and I could play golf while the rest of the family found something else to do.
I was playing McGregor blades. On some hole, I struck a 4 iron with perfect timing right on the sweet spot. It was such an exceptional wave of sensations—feel, sound, and sight—that it remains vivid today. I have tried/hoped to experience it again ever since then.

Ira

Chris_Blakely

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2024, 10:32:09 PM »
I would like to play every course in Ohio.   I have made a lot of progress, but, will need a lot of help or luck to finish.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2024, 11:10:27 PM »
I would like to play every course in Ohio.   I have made a lot of progress, but, will need a lot of help or luck to finish.

Wow. There are a lot of courses in the state.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Thomas Dai

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2024, 04:24:54 AM »
To play as many animal grazed courses in GB&I as possible. Same in other parts of the World too if the opportunity arises.
Atb

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2024, 04:53:51 AM »
Nothing spectacular. Just play interesting courses with cool people.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

archie_struthers

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2024, 06:33:02 AM »
 8)

My obsession would be with playing better golf the next 5-7 years. My golf is pretty bad right now but that won't deter me from practicing and hopefully competing in more events going forward.

For me it's always been about the competition despite my love for GCA. The ability of an architect to design a challenging course for multiple skill levels is one of the most admired traits of  their work for me.

Steve Lang

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2024, 09:48:04 AM »

Chris, THere's 88 counties in Ohio, do you at least have 1 play in each?  The search for hidden gems in "The Heart of it All"
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Dan_Callahan

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2024, 09:58:36 AM »
It's not an obsession, but I would like to play every links course in the UK and Ireland. I would call it an ambitious but realistic pursuit.

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2024, 11:31:12 AM »

My passion/obsession is planning golf trips. For me the planning and anticipation are almost as much fun as the touring and playing. Each trip is like putting together the pieces of a puzzle. First selecting a region to visit, then the courses... reserving the tee times, finalizing a route, booking air and care hire, selecting accommodations, finding good restaurants & pubs, and finally researching sites to see when not playing golf. I make a looseleaf binder for each trip with a detailed itinerary, all the reservations and correspondence and a cover with the course logos.

I almost always have one trip in the works and a couple more in mind.  The next one is to Wisconsin and is fully booked: All the courses at Sand Valley, plus Lawsonia Links and Erin Hills.

I think a return to England in 2025 will be after that. Either:
(i)   These 8: Reddish Vale, Sand Moor, Moortown, Alwoodley, Fulford, Ganton, Lindrick, Cavendish,
Or
(ii)   Eight of these t/b/d: West Hill, Camberley Heath, Mincinhampton Old, Painswick, Kington, Church Stretton, Cleeve Hill, Tadmarton Heath, Frilford Heath, Huntercombe, Swinley Forest.

Any advice on these appreciated.

England Trip A by

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2pTJVcN]
England trp B [/url]

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2024, 11:59:08 AM »

My passion/obsession is planning golf trips. For me the planning and anticipation are almost as much fun as the touring and playing. Each trip is like putting together the pieces of a puzzle. First selecting a region to visit, then the courses... reserving the tee times, finalizing a route, booking air and care hire, selecting accommodations, finding good restaurants & pubs, and finally researching sites to see when not playing golf. I make a looseleaf binder for each trip with a detailed itinerary, all the reservations and correspondence and a cover with the course logos.

I almost always have one trip in the works and a couple more in mind.  The next one is to Wisconsin and is fully booked: All the courses at Sand Valley, plus Lawsonia Links and Erin Hills.

I think a return to England in 2025 will be after that. Either:
(i)   These 8: Reddish Vale, Sand Moor, Moortown, Alwoodley, Fulford, Ganton, Lindrick, Cavendish,
Or
(ii)   Eight of these t/b/d: West Hill, Camberley Heath, Mincinhampton Old, Painswick, Kington, Church Stretton, Cleeve Hill, Tadmarton Heath, Frilford Heath, Huntercombe, Swinley Forest.

Any advice on these appreciated.

England Trip A by

[url=https://flic.kr/p/2pTJVcN]
England trp B [/url]

Stewart, I love planning trips, golf or not. It is part of the fun of getting me ready. I planned a 20-day, 21-course golf trip to Ireland and Scotland for my wife and me. This was before email, so I had to handtype letters to every club. It was a six-month planning adventure.
St. John of the Cross

Jason Topp

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2024, 10:09:03 AM »
When the game beats me up I usually find some other way to enjoy it.   Reading was it for a long time, then travel, then GCA, then strength training to chase distance.  I am always chasing better play.

Not sure I have an obsession now beyond playing but I find myself returning to courses and people I enjoy.   

mike_malone

« Reply #21 on: May 28, 2024, 10:16:53 AM »
Finding and incorporating simple adjustments to my full swing that have notable results.

A few years ago it was increasing lag by following Sergio’s advice to “ pull the chain”. This winter it was Rory’s advice to keep the club in front of my body. This has been dramatic.

I see countless golf tips but discard 99+%.
AKA Mayday

Peter Bowman

« Reply #22 on: May 28, 2024, 12:18:34 PM »
I've made it no secret on GCA that my passion is to add "Gold Course Architect" to my resume, starting at age 50 (7 years from now). 
I've begun reading a lot of books lately and will continue to do so.  I'm seeking out training courses as well. 
I'm fortunate that Hooper may be considering bunker restorations back to Stiles and Van Kleek's original design and esthetics, and should be an awesome opportunity to get my hands dirty too

Peter Bowman

« Reply #23 on: May 28, 2024, 01:18:40 PM »
To play as many animal grazed courses in GB&I as possible. Same in other parts of the World too if the opportunity arises.
Atb
It doesn't get more natural than that.  I can't way to play such courses, and I wish it was done more in the US

David Cronan

« Reply #24 on: May 28, 2024, 03:44:40 PM »
I never really thought about this subject until Mr. Williamsen posted. And looking back on its genesis, it has had a major influence on my professional life (and to a degree, my personal life).

Growing up in the suburbs of Detroit, I remember getting up early to watch The Open on ABC (I think it was ABC). Of course I was fascinated by the courses, Peter Aliss, the weather (these guys were wearing sweaters in July!) and, yes, those sweaters. A friend of my parents owned a nice retail store, and another friend of theirs was a clothing rep for a few different brands. They introduced me to cashmere and as strange as it may seem, the summer between 7-8th grade, between baseball, golf and being a kid, I worked a job and saved up enough money to buy my first cashmere sweater. I forget how much it was but remember distinctly going with my parents to their clothing rep friend's house where he had a navy sweater, in my size, for me to try on. It was a bit too big but it was perfect. As I went to pay him, he said "It's on me, David. But remember this....this can be an expensive habit!"

Over the years I've been fortunate to play golf in a couple dozen countries, played in college (albeit, briefly and without distinction) won a handful of club championships and played with some wonderful people/characters on some of the "greatest golf courses in the world". And opened up a dozen golf stores, a retail men's store and now import/export apparel.

So a few years back, I moved south. Until last year, I kept a storage locker up north that was filled with furniture, art, clothing and other stuff one accumulates over time. So last summer, my son and I went to clean it out (take a little, give away a ton) and noticed 2 large cedar trunks that were wrapped in shrink wrap. We opened them and found a sweaters. A lot of sweaters. Every single one cashmere. We counted them and there were 83 in total. Suffice to say my son went back to Chicago (for an internship with United Airlines) and then back to Purdue with an incredibly expensive wardrobe. That said, I brought a couple dozen back with me for those 4 days of winter....some things a man can't part with.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2024, 04:26:32 PM by David Cronan »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back