News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Evagues

Colonial
« on: May 25, 2024, 02:34:51 PM »
I keep hearing about the million dollar restoration to Colonial CC but the fairways look like my local muni with all of the bare spots. This is supposed to be a high end private club?
Be the ball

Matt_Cohn

Re: Colonial
« Reply #1 on: May 25, 2024, 03:41:33 PM »
I can only assume that completely rebuilding a golf course beginning in May and having it ready in time to withstand the winter and then have a PGA tour event a year later is tough?

Rob Marshall

« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2024, 05:28:04 PM »
I haven’t noticed anything that resembles a muni.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Craig Sweet

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2024, 05:48:01 PM »
The fairways look shaggy and spotty...
LOCK HIM UP!!!

mike_beene

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2024, 07:42:51 PM »
Give them a month. Early in the growing season. The hot weather just started. They play fine now. Will look better in three weeks.

Lou_Duran

« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2024, 09:49:41 AM »
Give them a month. Early in the growing season. The hot weather just started. They play fine now. Will look better in three weeks.

I walked the course yesterday, saw every hole and most of the grounds, and the conditions are fine- actually fantastic for a massive 11-month "refreshing".  The fairways did have some thin, discolored spots, but I didn't witness any shots that were compromised as a result. Where I could step on the course, the grass was healthy with a nice mat, and cut to provide good lies, certainly not shaggy.

A volunteer marshal I spoke to said that the course was to be "shut-down" shortly after the tournament with member play only "sparingly" for the remainder of the year.  He seemed to be well-informed about the club and the work over the past year.

I've been playing Colonial occasionally since 1979 and the "refreshing" seemed successful.  The lower profile of the greens and substantial repositioning of three of the four par 3 green complexes (all but #4) are the major changes.  The creation of a waste area running along the left side of #5 bordering the driving range has more of an aesthetic effect IMO, as the thick, coarse Buffalo grass or fescue it replaced was already a considerable penalty.

Overall, I think that the course will be more enjoyable for the members and easier for the pros.  Whether value is achieved, the ability to maintain healthy bent greens and high quality fairway turf throughout the year will be the key.  Historically, Colonial had poor fairways in the winter months and into mid-spring, and bad greens following the tournament into Oct.-Nov.

Re: the architecture returning to its roots, I had a short conversation with an individual who has been intimately involved with the club since shortly after its founding.  That the "refreshing" was seen in a positive light, its resemblance to the original course fell somewhat short.  We did not get into details, but perhaps the effects of the flood prior to the US Open there was a factor.

BTW, there is nothing about Colonial that resembles a "muni", and we have any number in north Texas at both ends of the range. 

Randy Thompson

« Reply #6 on: May 26, 2024, 10:19:13 AM »
What was scotties grip about the greens? They look great and seem to be putting excellent!

Rob Marshall

« Reply #7 on: May 26, 2024, 11:30:06 AM »
Members can’t be happy about losing the course for two seasons. Is it a 2nd membership type of club?

Pierre C

« Reply #8 on: May 26, 2024, 12:34:59 PM »

Hi Rob,

My sister and brother-in-law live in Dallas. Colonial is a primarily local membership, home course for the majority of the membership.

Members can’t be happy about losing the course for two seasons. Is it a 2nd membership type of club?
"If there is a 50-50 chance that something can go wrong, then nine times out of 10 it will."
— Paul Harvey

Randy Thompson

« Reply #9 on: May 26, 2024, 02:52:59 PM »
Closed for eleven months and neighboring clubs kind of turned their backs on poor Colonial members!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #10 on: May 26, 2024, 03:05:31 PM »
Closed for eleven months and neighboring clubs kind of turned their backs on poor Colonial members!

The horror of being relegated to the local munis with everyone else!  ;D

Mark_Fine

« Reply #11 on: May 26, 2024, 03:32:41 PM »
Restoration?  Or redesign?  A lot of greens I believe were moved and redesigned.  Correct me if I am mistaken.

mike_beene

« Reply #12 on: May 26, 2024, 04:56:45 PM »
Colonial is a country club with close ties to TCU around the corner. My sister went to TCU and had here wedding reception at Colonial. I believe the clubhouses are being rebuilt. U know the TCU golf team has a new facility on the range. If you join Colonial you know that you lose the course every spring, and guest play is limited.River Crest has always seemed like the big social club, and Shady more golf focused. Sometimes Colonial gets lost in the shuffle.
But as a Dallas person, I am not allowed to have an opinion on Fort Worth, much less ever go there by choice. But we share an airport.And as a Baylor person I have no credibility talking about our bitter rival TCU.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 05:02:57 PM by mike_beene »

Pierre C

« Reply #13 on: May 26, 2024, 05:32:46 PM »
Mark,

Officially they are calling it renovation - several greens were moved/redesigned. Here is a video on some of the work done at Colonial.

https://youtu.be/kNApY5dlMOI?si=ql0WLpkxnvIUbx8G

Also, here is some good background on the decision for the work.
https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/pga/2023/05/31/colonial-country-club-in-fort-worth-to-receive-a-20-million-upgrade/70274956007/

Restoration?  Or redesign?  A lot of greens I believe were moved and redesigned.  Correct me if I am mistaken.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2024, 05:48:32 PM by Pierre Cruikshank »
"If there is a 50-50 chance that something can go wrong, then nine times out of 10 it will."
— Paul Harvey

Ian Andrew

« Reply #14 on: May 26, 2024, 05:57:51 PM »
It takes a year to grow in a golf course. Even a renovation. Wait till next year, when it’s grown in, before you form an opinion. If they can play it this quick, they’ve accomplished miracles just to get there.
Change is good.

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2024, 01:35:33 AM »
Mark,

Officially they are calling it renovation - several greens were moved/redesigned. Here is a video on some of the work done at Colonial.

https://youtu.be/kNApY5dlMOI?si=ql0WLpkxnvIUbx8G

Also, here is some good background on the decision for the work.
https://www.statesman.com/story/sports/pga/2023/05/31/colonial-country-club-in-fort-worth-to-receive-a-20-million-upgrade/70274956007/

EnHansement

Rob Marshall

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2024, 10:22:00 AM »
I haven’t noticed anything that resembles a muni.

Watching the recap yesterday there was one hole that was extremely brown.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back