News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tim Gallant

Wild Spring Dunes
« on: May 24, 2024, 02:30:30 AM »
I think this project has been known about, but the routings dropped for both courses, and it looks like the website has been updated:

https://www.wildspringdunes.com/

Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw are doing one course and Tom Doak is doing another. Not too sure on the timelines, but as this has been in the works for a bit, I'd not be surprised if we see one or both of the courses open in the next two years.

Are others able to offer any insight on the land? The vegetation looks pretty cool, and distinct from other similar resort projects. Also, in my VERY limited ability to read topo maps, it does look like there is some cool ridges and elevation changes on both courses. Neat that both courses touch a hill/dune together (C&C course at 4/5; Doak course at 1/8/9).

Steve_Roths

Dan_Callahan

Re: Wild Spring Dunes
« Reply #2 on: May 25, 2024, 09:08:47 AM »
On the routing, it says "non-traditional golf practice facilities." Anyone know what that means?

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2024, 11:27:05 AM »
Bill Coore and Ben Crenshaw are doing one course and Tom Doak is doing another. Not too sure on the timelines, but as this has been in the works for a bit, I'd not be surprised if we see one or both of the courses open in the next two years.

If they get enough interest from founders, the goal is for my course to start construction this fall and be ready to play at the end of 2025.  But all of the infrastructure for the resort will take a bit longer.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2024, 11:33:06 AM »
Tom,

How is the quality of the site?

Are there any significant differences in design philosophy between Mr. Keiser and his son who seems to be leading the business now?

Thanks.

Tim Gallant

« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2024, 11:44:17 AM »
On the routing, it says "non-traditional golf practice facilities." Anyone know what that means?

Dan,

I took that to mean simulators, etc, though not 100% sure!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2024, 12:21:17 PM »
Tom,

How is the quality of the site?

Are there any significant differences in design philosophy between Mr. Keiser and his son who seems to be leading the business now?

It’s:

There’s a good quote from me in the info that was attached to the first post.  The ground is sandy, but it’s not sand dunes . . . It’s hilly and rugged and there are ravines falling away to all sides that will provide hazards on several holes.  So it will be very different than the private course we’ve been building in Childress, with its dunes and open views.

Michael is his own person; he has learned a lot from his dad’s success but his tastes are maybe broader.  That was evident from our discussion of Sedge Valley.  One of my holes in TX is inspired by the 2nd at Pine Valley, and that’s one of the holes Michael is most excited about; his dad would have been nervous about that, even though he’s a fan of the hole at Pine Valley.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2024, 01:14:15 PM »
I've worked out there and East Texas is the "Piney Woods" area, which is really just the start of the rolling terrain and pines that stretches all the way to N Carolina.  It is great land for golf and I have heard of many owners trying to get exclusive Sand Hills types facilities out there.

I had a site north of there, and will say that the soil appears to be sandy, but doesn't go very deep before hitting old red clay, and the sand isn't that porous and clogs up easily.  We had wet spots all around our catch basins.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Tom_Doak

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2024, 02:07:47 PM »
I've worked out there and East Texas is the "Piney Woods" area, which is really just the start of the rolling terrain and pines that stretches all the way to N Carolina.  It is great land for golf and I have heard of many owners trying to get exclusive Sand Hills types facilities out there.

I had a site north of there, and will say that the soil appears to be sandy, but doesn't go very deep before hitting old red clay, and the sand isn't that porous and clogs up easily.  We had wet spots all around our catch basins.

Jeff:

Thanks for the heads up.  Believe it or not the same thing is true all the way to North Carolina!  Pinehurst #2 is on the deepest sand of any of the courses in that area, but on many other courses in that area the sand is not as deep as its reputation suggests.

Luckily we don't have to do much earthmoving for the course I'm building there in TX, so hopefully we will be okay.  ;)

P.S.  The sand up around Childress is a much different deal.  It's almost too sandy in spots.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2024, 02:27:09 PM »
Tom,

That is almost as surprising as the water table at Prairie Dunes being only a few feet under their sandy site.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2024, 02:53:50 PM »
This site appears to be near Carthage Texas.  Watch the excellent movie Bernie with Jack Black to learn more about Carthage.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back