News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jeff Segol

The Good Doctor's Prescriptions
« on: May 22, 2024, 01:59:43 PM »
I ran across copies of this book by Neil Crafter on abe. I guess my question is how much of the golf-related material duplicates the book that the MacKenzie Society put out, which I have but have not yet read. Also just wondering if the doctor's non-golf writings, which are included here, include any particularly interesting insights. If you've read any of this yet and have a review, I'd be interested.

Thanks,
Jeff

Niall C

Re: The Good Doctor's Prescriptions
« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2024, 05:35:15 AM »
Jeff

The Mackenzie Reader which was compiled by Joshua Pettit and published by The Alister MacKenzie Institute is I think the first book you refer to. As I understand it this organisation is separate from "The Alister Mackenzie Society" and indeed the "Alister Mackenzie Society". The first named society (with "The") is based in the US while the second society is based in the UK and I think I'm correct in saying there is no formal tie-up between the two but clearly there is an overlap in interest and membership. I think I'm also right in saying that the "Institute" is of more recent origin and was set up by Joshua with the backing of several high profile individuals (Mike Keiser ?).

The Mackenzie Reader is styled as a compendium of Mackenzies writings and includes also a number of essays on Mac by the likes of Mike Clayton, Mike De Vries and Geoff Shackleford. Ben Crenshaw provided the foreword.

The second book, "The Good Doctor's Prescriptions" edited by Neil Crafter is an attempt to publish a full anthology of all his known writings and not just on golf. It is therefore more comprehensive than the first book in terms of Mackenzies writings. At the back of the book is a list of Mac's writings. The list indicates which have been included and which have been omitted due to having been a reprint of an earlier essay/article already included in the book. From what I can see it is largely based on research work done by Nick Leefe, Bob Beck, Neil and the rest of the Mackenzie Timeline team of which I have been part. Tom Doak provides the foreword.

I don't think you can go wrong with either book.

Niall

Phil Young

Re: The Good Doctor's Prescriptions New
« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2024, 08:42:24 AM »
I received my copy of Neil's "The Good Doctor's Prescriptions" and it is a terrific approach to gaining an insight into both his design philosophies and approach to putting them into practice on specific sites. An example of one of these is found on page 89. The title is: "GOLF COURSE CONSTRUCTION...Links Architect Discusses the Rough and Lost Balls...LESSONS FROM ST. ANDREWS."

This was in response to a previous article that he wrote regarding rough on Australian Golf courses. I was hooked by his first paragraph:

"My remarks in reference to the rough on a golf course seemed to have caused slight misunderstanding, and it is necessary to make clear my ideas on the subject." 

It is elegantly presented and well worth adding to any library on golf course architecture.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 08:52:43 AM by Phil Young »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back