News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pierre C

Cruden Bay Changed 18th
« on: May 20, 2024, 03:06:01 PM »
I would like to say, "thank you" to Mr. Andrew Good, GM of Cruden Bay, for providing me with clarification on the changes. I contacted Mr. Good after writing my initial post and made an error in referencing St. Olaf 9th instead of 1st.

First, I confess Cruden Bay's Championship course is my wife's favorite golf course in the UK - more so than TOC, Sunningdale, Dornoch, Swinley Forest, Prestwick, RSG, etc.
 I was at Cruden Bay last week and noticed they made a change to the 18th hole on the Championship Course. I didn't confirm this statement, but was told the primary reason for moving the 18th tee box is safety.

I think the new tees are an improvement to the 18th hole. There is a risk-reward option for the player to cut the corner with the new tee boxes.

The 18th
419 yds fr. back tees
366 yds fr. from tees

This is a link to the club's flyover video of the 18th hole, old tees - https://youtu.be/qerDxXklmiY?si=KQC30NKzOyWRzs5x

Using Google map, the diagram shows the layout of the 18th hole. One thing you'll notice is an active road that wraps from the club house down to maintenance structures directly behind the old 18th tee boxes. While I was playing, I noticed several delivery & maintenance vehicles on the road.
More important, the location of the practice green on the left of the 18th fairway - adjacent to common landing area. It wasn't uncommon for tee shots to find their way onto the green.

(Note: incorrect reference of St. Olaf 9th tee & green, actually 1st. hole St. Olaf)

This is a snap shot from the video, showing the location of the old 18th tee boxes behind the road and adjacent to driving range's fence.

Photo from clubhouse towards 17th hole, old 18th tee boxes (brown area in front of maintenance structures), practice green, active road, and maintenance structures.

The photo below is from the club's course guide with an insert of the new layout.

The new tee boxes are on the right side of the 17th green. The 18th is now requires more of a dogleg right tee shot.

Photo from clubhouse towards 17th hole and locations for old and new 18th tee boxes.  The practice green is large and in direct line with old tee boxes.
On left of new tees is new location of 1st green for St. Olaf course. I believe the new 18th tee boxes are on the old 1st green of St. Olaf.

View of 17th green from 17th fairway, left side of 17th green & bunkers is location of old tee boxes. New tee boxes are on right edge of photo.

View from area across road from old 18th tee box.

View from new 18th tee box - white. 18th green on right. Risk & reward to carry gorse or land on 1st fairway of St. Olaf course.

Another view from 18th white tee - zoom. 18th green on far right.

Photo below, cutting the corner to carry to green. You can see the club cut modified St. Olaf 1st hole & cut down gorse.  I'm not sure if this is to temp players to go for 18th green off tee.

View from other side of 18th fairway (18th green to left of image) showing 1st fairway of St. Olaf.

View from 18th green down 18th fairway. New 18th tee boxes behind gorse on left. Old 18th tee boxes center in front of maintenance structures.

Zoom view from 18th green back down 18th fairway. You can see the old tee boxes located in front of maintenance structures.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 08:22:24 AM by Pierre Cruikshank »
"If there is a 50-50 chance that something can go wrong, then nine times out of 10 it will."
— Paul Harvey

Thomas Dai

Re: Cruden Bay Changed 18th
« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2024, 03:59:59 PM »
Curious to know what have they done to the St Olaf course if what was once the StO 1st is as you say now the StO 9th?
Atb

Niall C

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2024, 05:46:44 PM »
David

I was thinking the same. I had a mad panic that they had screwed up what I played as the St Olaf 9th. Fortunately it looks untouched.

I'll be interested to see the change to the main course next month.

Niall

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: May 20, 2024, 05:59:25 PM »
I’ll be interested in what you spot too Niall. I am aware they’ve made some changes concerning the old StO 6th, epic hole that is was, but am confused as to PC’s comments about the StO 9th.
Atb

Pierre C

« Reply #4 on: May 20, 2024, 06:12:59 PM »

Thomas and Niall,

I might have made a mistake in referrencing the 9th & 1st holes. It was a long day for me. Here are some additional photos of the work done on St. Olaf 1st fairway - adjacent to 18th of Championship course. I do remember being told they had to move a green (St. Olaf) to make room for the new 18th tee box.

Im sure someone will provide clarification.

I’ll be interested in what you spot too Niall. I am aware they’ve made some changes concerning the old StO 6th, epic hole that is was, but am confused as to PC’s comments about the StO 9th.
Atb
« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 08:26:02 AM by Pierre Cruikshank »
"If there is a 50-50 chance that something can go wrong, then nine times out of 10 it will."
— Paul Harvey

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2024, 04:02:07 AM »
Thanks for the clarification.

Atb

Pierre C

« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2024, 08:12:06 AM »

Thomas et Naill,

I contacted Andrew Good (GM of Cruden Bay) and he was gracious enough to provide clarification.  I hope you both enjoy your trip to Cruden Bay.

Reasons for moving the 18th tee box:
1. balls from driving range were, at times, coming over the fence and landing near the 18th tee box
2. reduce occurrences of tee shots landing in practice green

The new 18th tee box, right side of 17th green, provides a visual of the Old Clubhouse as a target for a driving line.

"To accommodate this change the 1st hole on St Olaf had to be moved to the left and the 18th tee essentially sits on the site of the old St Olaf 1st green.
We took out the second hole (Par 3), and moved the original third tee back almost onto the site of the original 2nd green and raised it to improve visibility of golfers coming down 6 on The Championship and retained the green, i.e. the new 2nd hole hits into the original 3rd green.

The next hole (new 3rd) has been shortened slightly but still retains its features as it’s only the green which has been pulled forward to reduce risks of errant tee shots being hit off the 1st tee.

The next hole (new 4th) has been shortened.

The new 5th hole is completely new, sitting at 292 yards and was originally part of the practice area.

The 6th hole is now a par 3, with the tee sitting on the saddle of the original 6th giving a dramatic tee shot into the existing green.

Holes 7,8 and 9 remain unchanged."

Thanks for the clarification.

Atb
« Last Edit: May 21, 2024, 08:13:53 AM by Pierre Cruikshank »
— Paul Harvey

Thomas Dai

« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2024, 11:32:20 AM »
Thanks for obtaining the further details.
Bit sad how moving the tee on one hole has caused changes to four other holes especially given the overall quality of the original StO course. I’d have to have thought long and hard as to whether to vote for it if I were still a member.
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back