News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Anthony Butler

Re: OT. Scheffler arrested in Bizarre incident?
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2024, 09:29:46 AM »
His attorney says he won’t settle. Sounds like the attorney wants a big settlement so he can get a huge fee. Will Scottie take that route or just quietly walk away with dropped charges?

If he got a couple million from the City of Louisville, it would not make a millimeter of difference to Scheffler’s chosen standard of living. As much as the police and city are in the wrong, Scheffler’s image would take a beating if he chose to pursue this as a civil action.
Next!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2024, 10:01:20 AM »
His attorney says he won’t settle. Sounds like the attorney wants a big settlement so he can get a huge fee. Will Scottie take that route or just quietly walk away with dropped charges?

If he got a couple million from the City of Louisville, it would not make a millimeter of difference to Scheffler’s chosen standard of living. As much as the police and city are in the wrong, Scheffler’s image would take a beating if he chose to pursue this as a civil action.

Why would it hurt his image? It's pretty obvious we had an overzealous cop, if someone accused you of dragging a cop by their car wouldn't you want your name cleared fully?

Niall C

« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2024, 10:09:04 AM »
Sam

I'd agree that the policeman might have been overzealous but I don't think that's the issue. The issue is was he lying when he said he was dragged along the ground. I tend to think the policeman has a lot more to lose here than Scheffler.

Niall

Kalen Braley

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2024, 10:10:23 AM »

Why would it hurt his image? It's pretty obvious we had an overzealous cop, if someone accused you of dragging a cop by their car wouldn't you want your name cleared fully?

Doesn't dismissed/dropped charges accomplish this?

I agree with Anthony, a civil suit would just look punitive, and I would be very shocked if Scottie pursued that.

My only surprise at this point is the LPD hasn't already dropped the charges, only making themselves look worse dragging this out.

Sam Morrow

« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2024, 10:17:59 AM »
Ya I'm shocked the charges haven't been dropped, I think if they were dropped Scottie wouldn't pursue civil action but even if he did I don't think it would hurt his image.

Charlie Goerges

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2024, 10:24:10 AM »

Not always. The public is well aware that charges against guilty people can get dropped/dismissed for lack of evidence etc. Sometimes the civil suit can accomplish the PR that simply dropping/dismissal doesn't.
Severally on the occasion of everything that thou doest, pause and ask thyself, if death is a dreadful thing because it deprives thee of this. - Marcus Aurelius

Kalen Braley

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2024, 10:48:01 AM »

Not always. The public is well aware that charges against guilty people can get dropped/dismissed for lack of evidence etc. Sometimes the civil suit can accomplish the PR that simply dropping/dismissal doesn't.

Fair enough.

I would hope the average joe would know the difference between dropped charges on a shady guy with a history vs someone like Scottie.

P.S.  I spoke with my brother who has been a police officer for nearly 20 years and my brother-in-law (retired police) and they are both pretty baffled/slightly amused this is still ongoing. Especially in light of:

1)  Scottie has no priors
2)  The officer's body cam was not turned on.
3)  The supplemental video seems to support Scotties narrative.
4)  The high profile nature of this arrest.

I guess ego can be a hell of a thing, just like that 25 Capper who insists on playing from the tips.  ;)

Tim Martin

« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2024, 02:06:57 PM »

No way will Sheffler file a civil suit.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2024, 02:48:43 PM »

The other thing beyond the image considerations, is that Scheffler doesn't need or want the distraction of this incident (or being asked questions about it at his daily tournament press conferences) as he goes through the rest of the year with two majors and the Olympics on the horizon. 

His very first words after his arrest indicate that he wants to put this in the rear-view mirror asap.
« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 02:54:36 PM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

David Cronan

« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2024, 03:10:33 PM »
One thing that the treehouse has not touched upon is the recent volatility and actions of the LMPD that has resulted in a great deal of mistrust amongst their citizens. Suffice to say, public opinion is NOT on the side of law enforcement in this matter.

So many things at work on so many different levels. I'm loathe to make predictions (except on race horses) but I see this case being tossed, an apology given to Scheffler and the arresting officer being reassigned, once again, to something that limits his interaction with the public at large. And no civil suit for many of the reasons listed before, as well as the time it would take out of Scheffler's schedule to take depositions, prepare for trial and then the trial itself, though I'm sure the city would be more than a bit motivate to settle if Schefflet ultimately decides to go this route.

Rob Marshall

« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2024, 06:36:39 PM »

No way will Sheffler file a civil suit.

Agreed, Scotty is a class act.

Scotties lawyer will chew this guy up and spit him out.

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2024/05/24/scottie-scheffler-arrest-louisville-police-officer-bryan-gillis-previous-discipline/

« Last Edit: May 24, 2024, 06:45:27 PM by Rob Marshall »
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Sean_A

« Reply #36 on: May 25, 2024, 03:48:39 AM »
Regardless of the cop’s behaviour, folks seem to be forgetting that SC may have not followed instructions at a potential crime scene. Just saying…something pissed off the officer.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

MClutterbuck

« Reply #37 on: May 25, 2024, 09:58:13 AM »
Regardless of the cop’s behaviour, folks seem to be forgetting that SC may have not followed instructions at a potential crime scene. Just saying…something pissed off the officer.

Ciao

Police instructions are not necessarily clear, nor are they always consistent from one officer to another. I have seen several instances where police behave like bullies. This officer is clearly lying. There is no proof Scheffler did not follow instructions.

I understand most police officers are honorable, even heroes, and they are required to protect themselves from criminals that might target them. They are on the edge a lot. But to those of us that have seen police work in the US, vs Europe or even vs Latin America, you do see them behave in a manner that can lead to these incidents.

I am completely against the defund the police movements and if anything i lean more right than left on these matters, but I shudder at the thought the player had been Alejandro Tosti or Theegala.

Those excessively bright lights do not help either. I know many people have a problem seeing clearly when those lights are right in your face.

Bruce Katona

« Reply #38 on: May 25, 2024, 10:54:06 AM »
While I enjoy handicapping sporting events, if I went to be a punter on the SC v LPD here's what I see as data prior to placing my wager:

1. LPD will defend one of their own to the end........they have to in order to maintain moral in the ranks, regardless of the officer in questions actions.

2. Neither side wants this to go to court - SC does not need the distraction in his work (golf) and family (newborn) life. LPD is likely in the wrong and potentially could be further embarrassed by now private information being made public during court proceedings & discovery.

3. If smart, The City of Louisville DA would contact SC lawyer, dismiss the case  and have a presser announcing the matter is cleared AND The City of Louisville has reach a cash settlement and any for civil damages SC may file and SC is donating the cash settlement to the family of the deceased PGA volunteer.

About the best outcome for both sides with everyone taking the high road and moving on.

4. The officer in question will be working midnight foot patrol shifts for the next few years if he's lucky enough to keep his job.

Phil Burr

« Reply #39 on: May 25, 2024, 11:38:48 AM »
More GCA.  Less People’s Court.  Leave the lawyering to the lawyers.

Sean_A

« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2024, 11:44:50 AM »

Ciao

Police instructions are not necessarily clear, nor are they always consistent from one officer to another. I have seen several instances where police behave like bullies. This officer is clearly lying. There is no proof Scheffler did not follow instructions.

I understand most police officers are honorable, even heroes, and they are required to protect themselves from criminals that might target them. They are on the edge a lot. But to those of us that have seen police work in the US, vs Europe or even vs Latin America, you do see them behave in a manner that can lead to these incidents.

I am completely against the defund the police movements and if anything i lean more right than left on these matters, but I shudder at the thought the player had been Alejandro Tosti or Theegala.

Those excessively bright lights do not help either. I know many people have a problem seeing clearly when those lights are right in your face.

I don’t care either or any way. My point is we don’t know what happened, yet folks are willing to draw conclusions. This is too much like social media. I suggest folks step back and the process unfold.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2024, 12:00:11 PM »
I agree that Scheffler didn't really seem to be doing anything that was really wrong, and it seems that the police officer lied or at least exaggerated what happened.  But wasn't this site potentially a crime scene, or at least a site that was being protected due to the investigation of a person's death?  Therefore I could understand the police being very vigilant in trying to protect the integrity of the site.
Do we know if this spot is the place where the person was killed earlier that morning?

Rob Marshall

« Reply #42 on: May 25, 2024, 04:04:44 PM »

Ciao

https://theowp.org/police-brutality-and-corruption-growing-in-mexico/

If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

Anthony Butler

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2024, 01:26:03 PM »
Given the fact this was the scene of a recent fatal accident, there were dozens of eye witnesses to this event. According to reports, Scheffler thought he was being waved on by a one of the respondents since the Player's entrance was on the other side of the accident scene. The policeman who jumped on Scheffler's car as it came around the accident scene towards the entrance - unless he was in immediate danger of being hit - sounds like a gigantic drama queen like many police officers allegedly 'serving the community'.

Prediction: Apology from both sides and all charges dropped.

As predicted… wish I could feel as certain about the outcome of another legal situation currently reaching its decision point here in the US:

https://apple.news/A6kikW2tiSZ6GUm4SK8c2Tw
Next!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back