News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Felton

Re: OT - Jimmy is Dunne with the PGA Tour
« Reply #50 on: May 20, 2024, 05:11:58 PM »
Greater business savvy than Jimmy Dunne?

In this instance, from what I've read, they did hire an adept team, but then decided to get rid of them.

Are we sure that it was the players who wanted him out?

I suppose that's possible, if they don't really want a deal to get done.  But possibly the guy who really doesn't want to see a deal done is the commissioner.  The more "business" guys they have in on it, the more likely his tenure is done.  Whereas some of the players seem to still be true believers in honor, country and the PGA TOUR.  It's possible Jay has even spun it that Jimmy Dunne sold them out to the Saudis, not he.

Nope. I don't know who wanted him out. I read something somewhere that said that he was brought in when the players were less than half of the board (or whatever it is). When the players became more than half, that was when he left it. I don't remember where I read it and it's quite possible that either the facts or the inference made by the author are wrong.

Everything else you say is certainly possible. I don't have any insider info or anything like that. Just what I read and what seems to make sense to me.

Peter Sayegh

« Reply #51 on: May 20, 2024, 05:36:30 PM »
Peter, don't you think the business savvy of most players is simply to hire the right agent?
Peter,

I could be wrong, but I'd guess for the vast majority of these cases the players are either being paid to show up for a few photo Ops and junkets to press the flesh and be the face of something.  Or getting in as an investor on the ground floor of a new venture as a "silent partner".

But day to say stuff?  Negotiating deals?  Creating detailed business plans and strategies? Much less trying to hammer out something complicated like the PIF/LIV merger?  I'm not seeing it.

Jim. Kalen, Michael,

That was the point of my post. I assume the players play and let the "experts"-ones they chose to align with-handle things outside the ropes.
Focus on what you do best and trust the best around you to enhance that.

That's pretty savvy.

Chris Hughes

« Reply #52 on: May 20, 2024, 11:05:12 PM »
Peter, don't you think the business savvy of most players is simply to hire the right agent?
Peter,

I could be wrong, but I'd guess for the vast majority of these cases the players are either being paid to show up for a few photo Ops and junkets to press the flesh and be the face of something.  Or getting in as an investor on the ground floor of a new venture as a "silent partner".

But day to say stuff?  Negotiating deals?  Creating detailed business plans and strategies? Much less trying to hammer out something complicated like the PIF/LIV merger?  I'm not seeing it.

Jim. Kalen, Michael,

That was the point of my post. I assume the players play and let the "experts"-ones they chose to align with-handle things outside the ropes.
Focus on what you do best and trust the best around you to enhance that.

That's pretty savvy.
The opposite of what you describe is what is actually taking place.

Good recap here:

https://www.golfdigest.com/story/lucas-glover-radio-show-pga-tour-policy-board-comments-jimmy-dunne

Niall C

« Reply #53 on: May 21, 2024, 04:10:12 AM »
Interesting comments from Glover.

Can’t say I agree with him and here’s why. Firstly exalting Jay Monahan as some sort of business guru is bizarre given it was his ineptitude that lead to the opportunity for LIV to happen. As to Jimmy Dunne, apparently he was the architect of the framework agreement with the Saudi’s that has run in to all sorts of regulatory issues from what I gather. I also gather that many of these issues were readily foreseeable. Now Dunne might have some cunning plan to get round these issues but at the same time he should be held to account by the “shareholders” and have to explain himself.

That brings me round to my main point, who are the shareholders ? At the outset of this whole episode Monahan made great play of the PGA Tour being the players tour even though it was evident that it hadn’t exactly been run for their benefit previously. So if the players are the “shareholders” then why shouldn’t they hold sway on the tour board ? That doesn’t mean they make the day to day business decisions or formulate business plans but surely it is perfectly reasonable that they sign off on major strategic decisions ?

Niall

Steve Lapper

« Reply #54 on: May 21, 2024, 09:44:27 AM »
Well, the proverbial next (other) shoe just dropped.

Mark Flaherty, business-oriented independent director and current board member at Goldman Sachs just announced his resignation from the PGA Tour policy board. Jeez...think there is any frustration from the business guys with the Tour? First Randall Stephenson, then Rory (who is business savvy), then the consummate relationship guy, Jimmy Dunne and now Mark Flaherty. These guys are way too bright to remain aboard a dysfunctional ship led by an inept captain.

Anyone want to give me odds on when Ed Herlihy and Mary Meeker pull their ripcords and snap open their chutes?

Good sources tell me the Cantlay & Woods coup there is a clown show. The reality is that players are used to listening to their agents and business managers, whose sole agenda is to maximize the aggregate take without damaging their Q factors. A Tour led by players, their agents and personal business managers and run by a myopic man who lacked the vision to read the competitive tea leaves is a recipe for disaster. Entertaining for those of us who see it as such, but a disaster nontheless. Warming up the popcorn here!

The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Niall C

« Reply #55 on: May 21, 2024, 10:12:52 AM »
Wow, Rory business savvy !

A pleasant media friendly guy and a very good golfer but savvy ? I tend to think that his agent has been doing the heavy lifting in terms of his business decisions.

Niall

Steve Lapper

« Reply #56 on: May 21, 2024, 12:18:00 PM »

A pleasant media friendly guy and a very good golfer but savvy ? I tend to think that his agent has been doing the heavy lifting in terms of his business decisions.

Niall

Niall,

Rory is certainly business savvy relative and comparatively to his peers. He's spent considerable time with several colleagues and they all agree he's a bright guy about the business of golf. He is a partner in a lifestyle-oriented VC firm and dials into the super-majority of the firm's calls.

Do remember one thing: Most pro golfers have quite a low bar for advanced education and non-golf related intelligence. I'd maintain Rory is further up that ladder than most.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Erik J. Barzeski

« Reply #57 on: May 21, 2024, 02:13:25 PM »
Wow, Rory business savvy!
See, Niall, we agree sometimes!  :)
Erik J. Barzeski @iacas
Author, Lowest Score Wins, Instructor/Coach, and Lifetime Student of the Game.

I generally ignore Rob, Tim, and Garland.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #58 on: May 22, 2024, 04:00:15 AM »

Niall

Niall,

Rory is certainly business savvy relative and comparatively to his peers. He's spent considerable time with several colleagues and they all agree he's a bright guy about the business of golf. He is a partner in a lifestyle-oriented VC firm and dials into the super-majority of the firm's calls.

Do remember one thing: Most pro golfers have quite a low bar for advanced education and non-golf related intelligence. I'd maintain Rory is further up that ladder than most.

I hope he is savvy enough to have had a prenup.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Michael Morandi

« Reply #59 on: May 22, 2024, 12:13:18 PM »
I wonder if Jimmie will change his mind on doing biz with the Saudis in light of this.  Full disclosure, one of the authors is a friend and Princeton classmate. He also was the senior NSA director for the Middle East and Northern Africa for Obama.  They had a hard time getting the Saudis to help fight Al Qaeda.  Perhaps we now know why.

https://www.middleeastmonitor.com/20240522-saudi-involvement-extensive-in-9-11-terror-attacks-suggests-new-evidence/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back