News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

DFarron

Palo Alto Hills Opinions
« on: May 08, 2024, 02:15:50 PM »
Going to the Bay Area next week, had heard that Palo Alto Hills has done a renovation. Anyone play it ?  Is it any good? Worth the drive from the East Bay?

As always thanks for your opinions !

David_Tepper

Re: Palo Alto Hills Opinions
« Reply #1 on: May 08, 2024, 03:40:37 PM »
Drew -

There was this article about the renovation a year ago:

https://www.golfcoursearchitecture.net/content/palo-alto-hills-pump-up-the-volume

I have not played there in 25+ years. Something makes me think the Menlo Club, which has also gone thru a reno, might be a better place to play. Of course I have not played there either. :)

DT

DFarron

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2024, 04:17:38 PM »
Thanks David I love Menlo but that may be a tough ask on a Sunday.

A good buddy of mine is at PAH and he’d be able to get me on easily.

I’m also considering Orinda and Corica.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2024, 10:33:18 PM »
Play Orinda.  Head and shoulders above PAH or Corica.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

DFarron

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2024, 11:21:56 PM »
Play Orinda.  Head and shoulders above PAH or Corica.

Have you played PAH since the renovation?

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2024, 11:47:20 PM »
No, just judging from what could be possible at PAH based on prior play, versus current (last 8 years) at Orinda. 
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

DFarron

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2024, 04:04:37 AM »
No, just judging from what could be possible at PAH based on prior play, versus current (last 8 years) at Orinda.

Orinda is awesome, played it a lot when I lived in the Bay but I’m going to give Palo Alto Hills a shot this time and Diablo if I get the time.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2024, 10:48:54 PM »
My friend Brian Costello did a full re-imagine of PAH and it is very solid. John Harbottle did some work there and after his untimely death the club wanted to move forward with kore work. I was very happy that Brian got the nod. BTW, Brian becomes the next ASGCA President in Fall 2024, which is very deserving of a West Coast GCA.

— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

DFarron

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2024, 09:34:56 AM »
My friend Brian Costello did a full re-imagine of PAH and it is very solid. John Harbottle did some work there and after his untimely death the club wanted to move forward with kore work. I was very happy that Brian got the nod. BTW, Brian becomes the next ASGCA President in Fall 2024, which is very deserving of a West Coast GCA.

Your friend did a wonderful job with PAH. Even though it was only 6300 from the tips the course was very challenging and had a real diversity of holes.
The views are magnificent and the only negative was how hilly it was.

For me at 64 it would have been impossible to walk, yet most of the players yesterday were walking ! They must have the most in shape membership in America lol.

The whole experience reminded me of a more hilly Menlo CC, my second favorite course in the Bay after Cal Club.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back