News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Re: 2023-24 Winter Tour: Astounding ASKERNISH GC
« Reply #25 on: May 27, 2024, 04:59:41 AM »
Thanks, Sean.  Interestingly, I think your view corresponds pretty much exactly with mine.  There's some absolutely fabulous stuff there but the first few are a bit meh, the last is nothing to write home about and the conditioning is borderline, even given my low expectations.  When I played it the rough short of 11 was longer and, on at least one occasion, I stood on the tee, admitted that, in a strong headwind I had no prayer of reaching cut grass and just walked to 12 tee.  The old split fairway on 12 was interesting but the left hand route was for long hitters only (more than a 25o yard carry, if my rangefinder was to be believed) so was never an option for me.

I'd certainly go back, not least as we, as a family, just love Uist but I wasn't as completely blown away as some.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Sean_A

« Reply #26 on: May 27, 2024, 05:53:56 AM »
Sean,

Thanks for this tour.

While I've only been to the Outer Hebrides in October, I've done most of the Inner Hebrides in the late winter / spring and its can still be a beautiful time of year to visit, assuming the weather cooperates! Having said that, Askernish is a fairly rustic experience and the definition of the fairways wasnt always easy to make out when I visited in October, so with everything dormant in the winter, I can see how it could be really tricky to see where you are going!

Having said that, the rough was pretty brutal when I played, so at least that was probably a bit easier in winter?

While Photobucket seems to have watermarked most of my pics (probably as its a while since I logged in) here is my tour from back when I played:
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,41817.0.html
I'm still slightly shocked it was almost 15 year ago that I visited!!!

While the first 6 and the last do appear to be on less interesting land, I still found 2 to 4 to be good holes, especially 4 with a cool greensite.

]Interesting to see some of the changes since I played...

I think the 6th green might have moved? It’s tricky to tell from your photos, but the 10th fairway was the worst for rabbit damage when I played, but looks like they might have managed to smooth that out a bit now? I recall that 13 played over quite a low lying piece of land, so assume that's why it was moved to the left. The photo of the plan on the sign still seems to show the old routing, rather than playing back up the alternate 12th fairway. I also recall the 16th green used to include the high ground infront of what now appears to be the green, and is now just what was the back portion when I played.

I'd still love to fly to the beach on Barra as part of a return trip to Askernish which Adam has mentioned a few times! Possibly also play it with hickory for the full Old Tom experience! I really should get back there...

Thanks again for the tour!

Cheers,

James

ps Marty, I think that Sean's winter pics may make it look more rustic than it actually is, though as I say its a while since I played. Look for some summer pictures and it may start drawing you in...

Boony…for sure I will take less definition instead of gunge. If the fairways aren’t huge, I don’t think I would enjoy Askernish with serious rough.

I found the course in very rough nick. There seem to be loads of ruts and mud paths created by cows and vehicles. I had to really watch where I was walking.

Ciao
« Last Edit: May 28, 2024, 04:22:34 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Sean_A

« Reply #27 on: May 28, 2024, 04:27:42 AM »
Thanks, Sean.  Interestingly, I think your view corresponds pretty much exactly with mine.  There's some absolutely fabulous stuff there but the first few are a bit meh, the last is nothing to write home about and the conditioning is borderline, even given my low expectations.  When I played it the rough short of 11 was longer and, on at least one occasion, I stood on the tee, admitted that, in a strong headwind I had no prayer of reaching cut grass and just walked to 12 tee.  The old split fairway on 12 was interesting but the left hand route was for long hitters only (more than a 25o yard carry, if my rangefinder was to be believed) so was never an option for me.

I'd certainly go back, not least as we, as a family, just love Uist but I wasn't as completely blown away as some.

Mark

I wasn’t blown away, but I am highly intrigued. For my tastes, I am not sure that property should be 18 holes. I wonder if alternative routings with less holes was considered.

Ciao
« Last Edit: May 28, 2024, 04:59:08 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #28 on: May 28, 2024, 04:41:41 AM »
Having looked at Boony's pics from a few years back it is a real shame to see the course in such decline.

A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back