News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_ Shaffer

The north Scottsdale ZIP code of 85262 has surpassed Paradise Valley for the most household wealth, Phoenix Business Journal reports. Scottsdale has the second-highest growth rate for millionaires, and the new wealthiest zip code in Desert Mountain has an 8,300-acre master-planned community with seven golf courses and clubhouses and an invitation-only country club with a $200,000 initiation fee. A local realtor called it “adult Disneyland.”
https://www.desertmountain.com/golf/
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Steve_ Shaffer

Re: Desert Mountain (7 Nicklaus courses) in North Scottsdale
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2024, 11:16:52 PM »
The first Course,Renegade, opened in 1987. I played there then. The next course,  hosted The Tradition, the first championship event on the Senior PGA tour, for over a decade.The next course in 1989,Geronimo “the strong-looking course,” for its dramatic elevations and broad fairways.I played there.in 1996 the Apache course opened. The Chirichaua course opened in 1999. In 2003,the Outlaw course was designed in the Scottish links style. I played there. In 2018, the Renegade course was renovated with seven tee boxes and two pin placements per hole. I played there.It's good to have friends.

A par-54 championship course, Seven, No. 7 at Desert Mountain™, one of only two par-54 USGA-rated courses in the country,was recently added. The 18-hole course layout plays at full length to 3,114 yards, and features a special handicap system for match-play experiences. No. 7 at Desert Mountain™ also introduces the new concept of an alternative teeing bunker, known as the “Sandy,” on each hole, which allows you to play 18 holes teeing off from a bunker and play for a sand save on each hole — an excellent way to practice your short game approach shots from the sand.

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Stewart Abramson

« Reply #2 on: May 08, 2024, 12:58:29 PM »
Links to some Desert Mtn photos:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157650917111931/  Desert Mtn Chiricahua course pix

https://www.flickr.com/photos/golfcoursepix/albums/72157680138210066/ Desert Mtn Cochise Course pix

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: May 08, 2024, 01:38:10 PM »
I've played the six courses at DM. They are all okay; I wish Lyle Anderson had used more than one architect. One architect for all the courses is boring.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #4 on: May 08, 2024, 02:11:20 PM »
Desert Mountain: The Early Years...HistoryDesert Mountain was officially established in 1986. Originally, it was zoned for 6,000 homes and five hotels. Lyle realized that he had to “flow with the market”. Lyle believed that this land was better suited as a luxury golf community.
 Lyle continued to use Jack for promotions because “people wanted to meet him.” When Jack played the opening round at the Renegade course, they had 50 sales that day. Eventually, Anderson began building spec homes  for sale in the early 1990s; he built approximately 600 homes in villages such as Cochise Ridge. Due to the size of the development, Anderson and Taliesin created the village The Skins Game at Desert Highland: concept to provide better (left to right) Gary Player, Jack Nicklaus, Tom Watson, Arnold Palmer security and to promote their own neighborhood identity. design guidelines that ensured each home and The villages were accessed off the main “spine road”, building materials would blend with the high Desert Mountain Parkway. Sonoran Desert, Lyle hired Taliesinassociated architects as the Master Designers. Taliesin was an The Trails architectural firm founded by Frank Lloyd Wright to Finally, I asked Lyle about our trail system. I carry on his architectural vision after his death in mentioned that in 2020, there were over 26,500 1959. It was headquartered at Taliesin West in hikes taken on the Desert Mountain private trails. Scottsdale and had up to 14 principals who had all Lyle leaned back with a smile and said, “I think we saw worked under Wright. Taliesin and Anderson the potential, but I knew it would take time. As a required “development as sensitively as we could”, developer, you set a community into motion and then creating building envelopes and preserving at least you have to let it go. I take my hat off to the members half the lot for native desert. The Master Association and what they have done with the trails.” still uses many of the Taliesin guidelines today, although they have evolved with time. When you consider the odds against developing a community the size of Desert Mountain so far Originally, each lot sold came with a membership removed from Scottsdale, this development plus the adjacent lot with another membership, must be his greatest achievement. Although there allowing the owner to sell the second lot with a were difficulties along the way, they were solved, membership later if desired. These Charter Members and our wonderful community was created. We also had free dues until the year 2000. The original have Lyle Anderson to thank for his great vision selling price of a typical lot was approximately and perseverance.

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2024, 06:55:52 AM »
Steve

Presumably you translated that from Double Dutch ?  ;)

Niall

Chris Hughes

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2024, 10:31:16 PM »
Desert Mountain is thriving now but they flew very close to the sun and it was a rough rough ride for a number of years -- interesting development/resort/private-club case study.

There was a lot of litigation between the club and members who wanted out, this site was quite an interesting follow for a good while:

http://desertmountaingolfscam.com/page1.html

(kind of surprised to see it's still up)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back