News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

David_Tepper

OT - Peter Oosterhuis, R.I.P.
« on: May 02, 2024, 12:59:04 PM »
A victim of Alzheimers, the 6-time Ryder Cupper has passed a day before his 76th birthday.

https://www.aol.com/sports/six-time-ryder-cup-player-155635630.html

I always liked his TV commentary work.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 01:35:56 PM by David_Tepper »

Bill Crane

Re: OT - Peter Oosterhuis, R.I.P.
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2024, 01:28:28 PM »
Peter was the Director of Golf at nearby Forsgate Country Club in Jamesburg, NJ for a few years in the last 1970s I believe.
Friends of mine who knew him then had only positive comments.
His commentary work was always interesting.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2024, 04:07:25 PM »
Sorry to see this.  Peter was a lovely person, all about his golf [and his wife].

He contacted me when he was at Forsgate, which had to have been later than Bill said . . . sometime in the late 80s or even 1990.  The new owners of the club were building an extra three-hole loop so they could build housing on three of Banks's holes, and he wanted someone to second his opinion that they shouldn't do it, so I went down there for a couple of days, had long dinners with Peter, and helped him convince them to stay on the right path.

After that, I had a chance to recommend him for the job at Riviera, where he was head professional for a few years before getting into commentary.

Peter had a great story about playing with Gary Player in the final round of the 1974 Open Championship, which I cannot repeat here.  I just hope he told it to some golf writer "on the record" !

« Last Edit: May 02, 2024, 04:30:14 PM by Tom_Doak »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2024, 05:27:51 PM »
He was a lovely man. I met him at Sherwood CC when I had lunch with his brother (?).
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

David_Tepper

John Blain

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2024, 09:35:24 PM »
Nice column by Lorne Rubenstein:

https://scoregolf.com/opinion/lorne-rubenstein/remembering-legendary-golfer-and-broadcaster-peter-oosterhuis/
David-
That was excellent, thanks for posting.
BTW- Nicklaus never did win that elusive Canadian Open.

Jason Topp

« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2024, 03:21:34 PM »
When my son was a baby, I took paternal leave and discovered Golf Channel European Tour broadcasts.  They were very low-budget affairs with Peter Oosterhhuis and Renton Laidlaw doing four hours of commentary durng some of the most boring early round action at far flung places around the world.  I am not even sure they were on location but I marvelled at their ability to entertain over such a long period of time.

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #7 on: May 17, 2024, 08:48:49 PM »
Tom D summed it up nicely. He was a lovely man. Ruth, his wife, is also lovely and I had the chance to spend some time with them. Peter was smitten with golf architecture. His time at Forsgate stimulated that, I am certain.

Peter and I tried on a few occasions to work together, but it never materialized. We came very close, but Peter's agent — I am pretty sure — felt the 10% commission was not a good day's work for the fee that we would need to agree to to get Peter involved on a 'first' assignment. I regretted that. And, I think Peter did, too!

RIP. Golf lost a gentle voice and truly nice professional, champion of the game and one of the best commentators.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Phil Burr

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2024, 09:41:45 AM »
Well said Forrest.  I lived in Scottsdale for 25 years.  My wife owned a boutique and Ruthie was a regular customer.  Peter often accompanied her on shopping trips and he and I might step outside for a chat.  I think the only person he ever said no to was himself.  His answer to everyone else, from close friends to casual acquaintances (like me) to complete strangers was always yes.  Dictionaries should add a picture of Peter to their definition of a gentleman.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back