News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Niall C

Re: Nine or not?
« Reply #25 on: May 03, 2024, 06:55:54 AM »
Mike

I'm not sure it's entirely a numbers game. In recent years I've taken a strong liking to nine hole courses over here in Scotland and have actively sought them out. A lot of these nine holers play over scrap bits of land and consequently the design tends to be quirky and unconventional which has great appeal for me. They also tend to be in relatively remote locations with basic facilities and tend to be quite rustic in character which also adds to the appeal, for me at least. You don't tend to get all that with 18 holers. 

With your example, I expect there would be a constant queue to play the 6 hole course which might just push me towards the 18 hole course, irrespective of the difference in quality.

Niall

Mike_Clayton

« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2024, 09:27:48 AM »
Mike

I'm not sure it's entirely a numbers game. In recent years I've taken a strong liking to nine hole courses over here in Scotland and have actively sought them out. A lot of these nine holers play over scrap bits of land and consequently the design tends to be quirky and unconventional which has great appeal for me. They also tend to be in relatively remote locations with basic facilities and tend to be quite rustic in character which also adds to the appeal, for me at least. You don't tend to get all that with 18 holers. 

With your example, I expect there would be a constant queue to play the 6 hole course which might just push me towards the 18 hole course, irrespective of the difference in quality.

Niall

Niall,

Have you ever seen Comrie - Ally Philps' course??

Niall C

« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2024, 10:57:53 AM »
Mike

Yes, played Comrie. Good fun, plays across and up and down a hillside with a bit of a heathland/moorland type vibe with a bit of heather and birch/fir trees. I'd put it in the "scrap bit of ground" category. Don't worry about the hillside bit, it's not really a difficult/challenging walk.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back