News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mark Pearce

Re: Bogey’s Top Quirky Greens Played
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2024, 06:42:33 AM »
Simon, while I’m fond if the 4th at Huntercombe it is indeed the fall away lay-of-the-land 3rd nestled in a corner that I adore.
The 3rd is so under-rated as a green - great choice.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

jeffwarne

« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2024, 08:14:50 AM »
Palmetto has quite a few, most notably the NLE 5th ::) .
the 17th, the 2nd, 3rd

But their genius lies in their collective  variety and death by 1000 different paper cuts

Old Barnwell has several 6, 9, 11,13-another great collective set of greens
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

JLahrman

« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2024, 08:55:10 AM »
Bogey,
I guess you never played Sagebrush (9) or Old Macdonald (5). Thought I was reasonably well travelled but only putted about 1/3 of your choices.

Pete I think he has to have played OM 5, unless I'm mistaken we were all at the 2011 KP at Bandon?

Bogey, I'm assuming you mean 13 at French Lick Ross, not Dye? I've only played the Ross course once, and it's been 20 years, but I don't even remember 13's green. I think half the greens on that course could have qualified - 8, 16, and 17 just to start. I can't contest your pick of #13 if I can't remember it, but just goes to show how wild that collective set of greens is.

Simon Barrington

« Reply #28 on: May 04, 2024, 06:23:30 PM »
Simon, while I’m fond if the 4th at Huntercombe it is indeed the fall away lay-of-the-land 3rd nestled in a corner that I adore.
Found this re. Green extension at rear. Cheers
https://x.com/ClubHuntercombe/status/1463498330718285826

Philip Gawith

« Reply #29 on: May 05, 2024, 04:21:21 PM »
Also a huge fan of the 3rd at Huntercombe for the reasons Bogey provides. They did a great job with the extension which has slightly enlarged the green without in any way altering its character. Part of the work also involved making a top right pin playable, but the traditional pins on the (extended) lower part of the green are preferable

Tom_Doak

« Reply #30 on: May 05, 2024, 06:31:05 PM »

I especially hate something I see too regularly--a "restoration" of a classic course, where the architect puts a new "outrageous" green on a course while using the same routing as the original hole.  It's like painting over a classic painting!

Can you give a couple of examples of this?  I’m not sure I have seen what you are talking about

Adam_Messix

« Reply #31 on: May 05, 2024, 07:56:50 PM »
There are several really cool and quirky greens that I've come across....

13 at Chester River (MD)
1 at Engineers
2 at Rolling Rock
5 at Oakmont
3 at Morfontaine Valliere
2 at Eindhovenesche
1 at NGLA
12 at NGLA
5 at Woking
16 at Pasatiempo

Bob Montle

« Reply #32 on: May 09, 2024, 10:08:41 AM »
These must be very quirky indeed, as you didn’t include any of the greens at Machrihanish.
"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

Tim Martin

« Reply #33 on: May 10, 2024, 10:16:01 AM »
Yale GC 10
Wannamoisett CC 7
Wampanoag CC 11
CC of Charleston 11
Fishers Island Club 12
Dormie Club 3
Charles River CC 10
Tobacco Road GC 8
Salem CC 13
St. George’s Golf & CC 15

James Reader

« Reply #34 on: May 11, 2024, 05:54:15 AM »

And I cannot remember the numbers, but the Eden Course has a bunch.

Ira

The 1st on the Eden is probably the quirkiest but 4, 7 and 8 would be in the conversation af there are several others that might not qualify as quirky but are certainly great greens.

Having played it for the first time this week, I’ll throw in the 6th at Western Gailes. From the front of the green to a back right flag I’m not sure I’ve ever seen a green where you have to putt so far off it to stand any chance of getting close to the hole.

Chris Hughes

« Reply #35 on: May 12, 2024, 01:07:36 AM »
#12 at The Men's Club...

Dan Boerger

« Reply #36 on: May 13, 2024, 07:00:26 AM »
Thendara #7 and #9
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Carl Johnson

« Reply #37 on: May 13, 2024, 12:18:33 PM »
I haven't played nearly as many courses as most of you, but the most-extreme-contoured greens I've played (that I can recall) were at the Prestwick (Scotland) Golf Club (T. Morris 1851).  Notice that I don't say quirky.  Their members would probably think our relatively flat greens are quirky.  Locally, the Palmetto Golf Club (Aiken, SC, 1892, etc., various) has pretty wild greens.
« Last Edit: May 13, 2024, 12:22:48 PM by Carl Johnson »

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #38 on: May 13, 2024, 05:44:03 PM »
The quirkiest set of greens I have ever seen are at Brahan, the course designed, constructed and owned by erstwhile member of this website, Jon Wiggett.

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2024, 05:47:47 AM »
16,000 square feet (1456m2) and only two pin positions.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CshlPbWwEnY&t=15s

2024: Royal St. David's (x2); Mill Ride
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

Niall C

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2024, 07:44:32 AM »
The quirkiest set of greens I have ever seen are at Brahan, the course designed, constructed and owned by erstwhile member of this website, Jon Wiggett.

Funnily enough I thought of the greens on Jon's course (sadly NLE) when looking at the pictures of Askernish in Sean's photo tour.

Niall

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back