News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Steve_Roths

Wales - What to See?
« on: April 30, 2024, 09:45:23 AM »
I have played two courses in Wales so far.  Pennard and Royal Porthcawl.

What would the group suggest to add next to the next trip abroad?

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Wales - What to See?
« Reply #1 on: April 30, 2024, 10:40:39 AM »
Not necessarily in this order.
Royal St. David's
Conwy & North Wales are within a couple of miles of each other.
Southerndown perched high above Porthcawl. Scenic, with some excellent holes
Holy Head and Bull Bay are in the extreme northwest. Bull Bay does not appear on any 'Best of" lists, but I found Fowler's design great fun. There are some holes that will leave you scratching your head.

https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,68731.msg1649120.html#msg1649120
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 10:44:12 AM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

John Mayhugh

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2024, 11:09:20 AM »
In addition to Pennard & Porthcawl, I really enjoyed Southerndown and Bull Bay - both of these are worthy of much more attention. The only other course I've played in Wales is Clyne. It's worth a visit, but more rustic than the others mentioned.

On my Welsh want to see list:Royal St. DavidsAberdoveyNefyn & DistrictTenbyPyle & KenfigWelshpoolLlandrindod Wells
I need to plan a trip there.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2024, 02:39:08 PM »
“Don’t tell ‘em Pike!” has become my standard response when the subject of golf courses in the land of my fathers is raised but I’m making an exception for this one … Welshpool … bit special …. rural and rustic golf at its best in quiet and serene and tranquil Mid-Wales. Homely clubhouse, minimal staff, epic views and a wonderful course with challenging holes you’re unlikely to forget all draped over hilly terrain thanks to the genius of the great James Braid.
Here’s a very fine recently released insight into Welshpool GC - https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=RZiOC3rkBBo&pp=ygUPY29va2llIGphciBnb2xm
Atb

PS - there are other courses that are not dissimilar either in Wales or just over the border in England some of which readers and contributors herein know of already although others remain classified as “Don’t tell ‘em Pike!”. :)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 02:47:50 PM by Thomas Dai »

Michael Felton

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2024, 04:10:06 PM »
In the same part of Wales as Pennard and Porthcawl, there is Southerndown (which was already mentioned), Ashburnham, which I thought was pretty fun, though not in the same league as Porthcawl or Pennard. There is also Pyle and Kenfig. The front nine is not going to win any prizes, but the back is pretty special.

jeffwarne

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2024, 05:22:32 PM »
When they announced the 2010 Ryder Cup, I was convinced Wales would be "discovered" and ruined.
I quickly put a trip together in 2008 to North Wales GC, Bull Bay, Royal St. David's, Aberdovey, Cardigan, Tenby, Ashburnham, Pennard, Royal Porthcawl and Southerndown.

I have since returned to Aberdovey, Borth and Ynlas, Pennard, Clyne and Southerndown in 2014.

I returned again to Tenby, Ashburnham, Pyle and Kenfig and Southerndown in 2016.

I then returned to Southerndown and Llandidrod Wells in 2023.

I can report Wales has NOT been discovered OR ruined-unlike many of the more popular spots in Ireland and Scotland(ruined perhaps too strong a word-a better word is "diminished" by price increases, busloads of tourists and tee time scarcity)
« Last Edit: April 30, 2024, 05:30:24 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Simon Barrington

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2024, 06:13:34 PM »
In the same part of Wales as Pennard and Porthcawl, there is Southerndown (which was already mentioned), Ashburnham, which I thought was pretty fun, though not in the same league as Porthcawl or Pennard. There is also Pyle and Kenfig. The front nine is not going to win any prizes, but the back is pretty special.
We played Pyle & Kenfig as the second course (to Royal Porthcawl) during the British Universities Championships c. 1985.
A sea haar (dense foggy mist rolling inland from the Irish Sea) ran in and the back nine felt as if each hole was on its own small portion of the moon-like linkscape. Pretty weird but very special, as the sounds and colours were also dampened by the mist...will never forget it, a special experience for sure.
I would think the holes on the back nine would stand up well regardless of the weather.

Niall C

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2024, 07:52:29 PM »
When they announced the 2010 Ryder Cup, I was convinced Wales would be "discovered" and ruined.
I quickly put a trip together in 2008 to North Wales GC, Bull Bay, Royal St. David's, Aberdovey, Cardigan, Tenby, Ashburnham, Pennard, Royal Porthcawl and Southerndown.

I have since returned to Aberdovey, Borth and Ynlas, Pennard, Clyne and Southerndown in 2014.

I returned again to Tenby, Ashburnham, Pyle and Kenfig and Southerndown in 2016.

I can report Wales has NOT been discovered OR ruined-unlike many of the more popular spots in Ireland and Scotland(ruined perhaps too strong a word-a better word is "diminished" by price increases, busloads of tourists and tee time scarcity)

Jeff

I couldn't help noticing that Southerndown was the one common denominator in all of your trips. In my one and only Wales trip Southerndown was the stand out course although admittedly I didn't play RP or Pennard. Overall great value to be found.

Niall

Joe_Tucholski

« Reply #8 on: April 30, 2024, 08:42:32 PM »
I can't really give any more advice, as appropriate recommendations have been given.  For my Christmas this year "my wife" got me a membership at Royal St. David's.  I think Wales has to be one of the most under rated golf destinations.  Certainly, overshadowed by its neighbors.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2024, 03:18:48 AM »
I like P+K however the condition and minor changes are not up to scratch from a GCA standpoint. A factor might be having played Porthcawl the day before.

I would have 18 holes on the Dunes side even if it will be a shorter course and it would have much more interesting holes and keep the Colt nine as a sporting nine to generate additional revenue as they dont really use the spare holes on the dunes area very much.

Southerndown is a great course boy that opener is hard work.

Have been meaning to play Newport (Rogerstone) hope to one day and also West Monmouthshire as some of the holes look crazy!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2024, 04:30:47 AM »
Guess what should pull up alongside us last year as my wife and I were eating ice creams while leaning on the railings at Aberdovey harbour? A tour bus containing some vibrantly dressed, loud voice chaps from another country. On enquiring in their weeks golfing adventure they were playing Southerndown, P&K, Royal Porthcawl, Tenby, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Nefyn and Conway.
Atb

PS - The world and its environs are getting smaller and smaller (said someone who recently took his clubs to a land Downunder). Note: Wright Bros first flight 1903. Armstrong on the moon 1969. Two dates only 66 years apart.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 04:37:01 AM by Thomas Dai »

jeffwarne

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2024, 10:27:56 AM »
I quickly put a trip together in 2008 to North Wales GC, Bull Bay,Nefyn, Royal St. David's, Aberdovey, Cardigan, Tenby, Ashburnham, Pennard, Royal Porthcawl and Southerndown.

Jeff

I couldn't help noticing that Southerndown was the one common denominator in all of your trips. In my one and only Wales trip Southerndown was the stand out course although admittedly I didn't play RP or Pennard. Overall great value to be found.

Niall

Mainly because I played Senior Open qualifiers there in 14, 16 and 23.
I'm a fan of the course but an even bigger fan of Pennard which I made time to play in 08,14,16 and would've in 23 but was rained out.

« Last Edit: May 01, 2024, 01:52:43 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Richard Fisher

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2024, 05:06:18 AM »
Wales is still (by a mile) the best-value destination for golf tours in the UK, which is one reason why organised international tour parties remain (at least for now) relatively few and far between, given the backward-sloping demand curve now in operation ;D

Leaving Porthcawl to one side, you should absolutely try and see Southerndown, Pennard (a marmite course within Wales itself, but not on GCA!), Aberdovey, Conwy and (most of all, but as its Pres I am not remotely objective) RStD Harlech. Of the smaller clubs Borth and Welshpool are v worth exploring, and as I write the estimable Cookie Jar boys are just loading up on YouTube the fruits of their recent tour around the principality, where they visit many of these clubs.

Wales needs a good dry summer after the wettest winter on record, and never, ever, underestimate the time taken to get from one course to another, albeit often through quite spectacular scenery. It is a great place for a tour, as those GCA members who have undertaken one will confirm.

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2024, 07:35:54 AM »

I think St David’s City is one of the few not mentioned.

The one course which really impresses me is Welshpool. A terrific course carved from unlikely land. It remains one of the best recommendations I ever received. Thank you Mark Rowlinson!

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tom Mills

« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2024, 08:07:57 AM »
Shameless plug alert - if you're interested in seeing some of the known and lesser known courses in Wales, we are 1 episode into a 6 part series of Wales on Youtube. The list of courses are as follows:

• Welshpool
  • Royal St. Davids
  • Borth & Ynyslas
  • Aberdovey
  • Tenby
  • Pennard
Spoiler alert - Tenby absolutely blew my socks off.

Tom Mills

Niall C

« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2024, 10:14:10 AM »
Tom

Excuse my ignorance but who is "we" ?

Niall

Brian Finn

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2024, 10:58:11 AM »
Tom
Niall
Cookie Jar Golf.  They do some really nice videos on YouTube.

https://www.youtube.com/@CookieJarGolf

They also do podcasts and (I believe) run some events in the UK.  Seems like a good group.
New for '23:  Cheraw SP, Grandfather, Clyne, Tenby, Pennard, Langland Bay, Southerndown, Pyle & Kenfig, Royal Porthcawl, Ashburnham, Rolls of Monmouth, Old Barnwell...
New for '24: Monifieth (2), Montrose (2), Panmure, Carnoustie (3), Scotscraig, Kingsbarns, Elie, Dumbarnie, Lundin...

David_Tepper

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2024, 11:27:39 AM »
Cookie Jar Golf video visit to Welshpool:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RZiOC3rkBBo

Thomas Dai

« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2024, 12:45:55 PM »
Welshpool, which I first visited what seems a zillion years ago, is a cracker and should be visited by all who are interested in course design, routing and construction. Hard, hilly walking yes, but nevertheless a great example of James Braid at his masterful best. Also it’s conditioning, especially given the epically small maintenance crew and the cosy yet comfortable clubhouse too (splendid bacon butties!).
No frills golf in a gloriously scenic location.
Atb

Tom Mills

« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2024, 02:02:02 PM »
Tom

Niall

Apologies Niall, yes it's Cookie Jar Golf, we do some podcasts and video content here in the UK and sometimes further afield. Our Royal St. Davids film is coming released this very minute. You can access it here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO_u_B1QViA

Hopefully you enjoy.

Tom
Tom Mills

Ian Cox

« Reply #20 on: May 08, 2024, 04:37:42 PM »

As a Welshman that has been a member at several of the clubs listed in this thread I have a few thoughts… Firstly, the South Wales staples of RP, Southerdown, P&K and Pennard can all be played in two days, there’s less than 5 miles between the first three, and it’s less than twenty miles to Pennard, though if you have the time all are worth multiple plays, a week would be well spent here.

As for the courses, I’ll begin with P&K, it’s a good course, it’s underrated, yes the front nine lacks the dramatic landscape of the back nine (though so do many fine courses when compared to 11-15) but there’s interest, and nuance that is apparent even after one round, P&K is not always polished but it’s good.

Southerndown, if you haven’t played a hilltop moorland course you are in for a surprise, the course is good, no it’s very good, a recent visit for the first time in over a decade (I haven’t lived in Wales for thirty years) with a friend who’s played the US top 100 (I’ve played enough to know I’m very fortunate) we both marvelled, challenge, interest and the views of the best undeveloped linksland we’d ever seen wowed us.

Now to Pennard, if there’s another site that Braid found a better routing I’d like to see it… other than the truly epic Kings at Gleneagles. There’s been a lot written about Pennard on this site, Pennard is a must see for me. Better writers have shared their opinion on Pennard on GCA, run a search and enjoy. Pennard is almost in a category of its own.

Speaking of categories, RP finds itself in the elite, the very elite, the elite of the elite category for me. RP sits within the smallest of groups in GB &I, TOC, RCD, RD, NB and that’s it, the greats of RSG, RB, HCEG are close. For GCA more familiar with US courses, it would sit above NGLA, FI, and alongside SH.

RP is the best of the best, it is sublime, subtle, grand and intimate, it is amongst the finest golf courses in the world, this course alone is worth the visit to Wales, the fact that many other good courses are nearby makes South Wales a compelling destination.

IC

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back