News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

jeffwarne

Edit:The Bridge-"GCA" Day-June 10th
« on: April 28, 2024, 02:43:54 PM »
The Bridge will be hosting a "GCA" day on the morning of Monday June 10th.
Tee times 8:30ish-9:00ish.
We are looking to host 16-24 players.
Although it is limited to GCA Members, we will allow one guest if we have availability. Please hold off on guest requests until May 15th.

There is a nominal($100) donation to The Bridge Golf Foundation  https://bridgegolffoundation.org/
Players will be responsible to pay their caddies directly.
Walking only, with carts available for permanent medical disabilities.
Please contact me via DM on this website if interested.
Responding to this thread with a comment is fine and welcomed, but please use the DM feature to sign up and I will send you a confirmation, with a link to contribute to The Bridge Foundation(available at the above website).

Following lunch, Gregg Stanley, our Superintendent responsible for the transformation, will be available after lunch for a moderated Q&A.

Over the past 15 years we have made multiple improvements, greatly increasing the walkability, strategy, options and design, while never actually closing the golf course-doing all the work in the off season winter months.

It is a true "in house" improvement/renovation(many of you would be aware of it from Ran's Feature Interview with me in 2019)

https://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/feature-interview-with-jeff-warne/

Over the recent winter, Gregg Stanley has made dramatic changes to the playability of the course, exposing/restoring areas of native sand across the property, while also pruning the native in many areas, which merely opens up even better views of the property and views of more out of play native and texture.
What this increased playability has done is allow to player to choose a side of a fairway without undue fear of a probable lost ball, encouraging use of advantage gaining angles, use of speed slots, and simply allows the wide fairways, design features and hazards within them to be challenged as opposed to always playing to the center out of fear of a lost ball in the thick, but beautiful native flora and fauna.

In short, the work over this winter has highlighted the previous renovation work and made it all work much better, while also greatly increasing the aesthetics of an already spectacular property.
The challenge is no longer to stay ON the course, but to be challenged and entertained by the hazards and terrain contained WITHIN the course.
If you think you've seen The Bridge, or heard about The Bridge, rest assured, you have not seen The Bridge.
We look forward to welcoming many of you and hearing your feedback.

Thank You,
Jeff Warne
« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 03:15:19 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

jeffwarne

Re: Edit:The Bridge-"GCA" Day-June 10th
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2024, 07:42:25 PM »
edited to include all GCA Members
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Chris Hughes

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2024, 12:19:30 AM »
"THERE WILL BE NO MIRACLES HERE"I looped for a friend at the 2010 US Mid-Am and The Bridge was co-host...
...that is one heckuva cool place (and great/unique golf course).

Niall C

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2024, 07:06:06 AM »
Jeff

Many thanks for the kind invite but unfortunately I'm on the wrong side of the Atlantic. Hopefully all will go well and everyone will have a great time.

Niall

Thomas Dai

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2024, 01:49:59 PM »
A very kind and generous opportunity shame I’m 3,000 miles away. Hope all goes well. Post some photos.
Atb

Jeff Schley

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2024, 02:07:40 PM »
Very generous offer Jeff. Sorry won't be in country, but look forward to the reports after. 
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2024, 02:16:05 PM »
I hope many of you can accept this kind of offer. Expect a warm welcome, fun holes, and some of the quickest greens you'll ever play.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

David_Tepper

« Reply #7 on: April 29, 2024, 02:40:47 PM »
And one of the most modern clubhouses you are likely to visit.

https://www.ferrisarch.com/the-bridge.html

Edward Glidewell

« Reply #8 on: April 29, 2024, 03:19:02 PM »
If I lived nearby, I'd happily take this generous offer. Course looks fantastic.

Pierre Cruikshank

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2024, 06:27:14 PM »
Golfadelphia (author, Chris Mavros) has a great write-up on The Bridge (ca. 2022) https://golfadelphia.com/2022/05/28/the-bridge-golf-club/  The article includes excellent photos from tee boxes, fairways, & greens.

Last few holes, the images take a long time to load...but, they will load. Patience is a reward

« Last Edit: April 29, 2024, 06:41:07 PM by Pierre Cruikshank »
"Photons have mass? I didn’t even know they were Catholic.”
― Woody Allen

mike_malone

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2024, 07:59:39 PM »
Jeff,

Not sure that my message got to you. But I am in but more interested in talking Irish golf.
AKA Mayday

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2024, 08:31:39 PM »
Jeff,
I just sent you a message. I am in. My Uncle used to race cars at Bridgehampton in the early 1960's, and I never was able to see the track! Looking forward to it! Thanks for the invite!
« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 06:52:00 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Last 8:
Smock GC (IN), Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC - South (OH), Fort Jackson - Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Municipal (NC), Pete Dye River Course (VA)
Next Up: Wolf Creek, Conestoga, Sand Hollow, Red Dixie Hills, Black Desert

Jason Topp

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2024, 08:42:08 PM »
Thanks for the offer Jeff!   Very kind.   I am sure it will be full.

Unfortunately I cannot make it. 

John Mayhugh

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2024, 11:18:35 AM »
This is a great opportunity. Really cool to see what a thoughtful program of improvements done in-house can accomplish. Thanks for arranging this, Jeff.

I have a schedule conflict for that weekend preceding that I need to try to get out of. Anyone that can go, do!

Sean Ogle

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2024, 11:59:07 AM »
What a cool opportunity, thanks so much for sharing!

Bummed, I'll be in NYC starting on the 17th - just going to miss it.

Would love to hear a recap of how it goes.

Mike Wagner

« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2024, 01:56:55 PM »
Tee times 8:30ish-9:30ish.
Although it is limited to GCA Members, we will allow one guest if we have availability. Please hold off on guest requests until May 15th.

There is a nominal($100) donation to The Bridge Golf Foundation  https://bridgegolffoundation.org/
Responding to this thread with a comment is fine and welcomed, but please use the DM feature to sign up and I will send you a confirmation, with a link to contribute to The Bridge Foundation(available at the above website).

Lunch will be included and Gregg Stanley, our Superintendent responsible for the transformation, will be available after lunch for a moderated Q&A.

Over the past 15 years we have made multiple improvements, greatly increasing the walkability, strategy, options and design, while never actually closing the golf course-doing all the work in the off season winter months.

It is a true "in house" improvement/renovation(many of you would be aware of it from Ran's Feature Interview with me in 2019)

Over the recent winter, Gregg Stanley has made dramatic changes to the playability of the course, exposing/restoring areas of native sand across the property, while also pruning the native in many areas, which merely opens up even better views of the property and views of more out of play native and texture.
What this increased playability has done is allow to player to choose a side of a fairway without undue fear of a probable lost ball, encouraging use of advantage gaining angles, use of speed slots, and simply allows the wide fairways, design features and hazards within them to be challenged as opposed to always playing to the center out of fear of a lost ball in the thick, but beautiful native flora and fauna.

In short, the work over this winter has highlighted the previous renovation work and made it all work much better, while also greatly increasing the aesthetics of an already spectacular property.
The challenge is no longer to stay ON the course, but to be challenged and entertained by the hazards and terrain contained WITHIN the course.
If you think you've seen The Bridge, or heard about The Bridge, rest assured, you have not seen The Bridge.

Thank You,
Jeff Warne

What an awesome invitation! Wish I could make it, but what an opportunity to experience one of the coolest places in the country. Big nod to you, Jeff!

Michael Felton

« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2024, 05:01:08 PM »
If you are able to make this, I highly recommend it. It's got lots of things going for it that we like here - width, firm, fast, plenty of opportunity to run a ball up onto the greens if you want to. It's fantastic fun and I can't wait to see it with the native areas cut back a little.

Michael Morandi

« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2024, 06:15:25 PM »
Greg Stanley is a very capable superintendent. I’m glad to hear that he has cut back on the native area and made the course more playable. When he was at Hudson National, his penchant for tall grass made the course very penal just a mere few feet from the fairway. I often wondered if he grew the grass so that he would have fewer acres to maintain. That said, he’s very good.

jeffwarne

« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2024, 11:36:25 PM »
We are adding three more spots in an already expanded field.
To fill the last three spots please email me at  jeffwarne85@gmail.com
After that I will keep a waiting list.

Also, if all participants who messaged me to sign up  could send me an email , we can take this off the message system here, which has its limitations.
I will reply to your emails with Foundation donation instructions and an itinerary/details.
We look forward to a fun day.

Thank you,
Jeff

Michael Morandi

« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2024, 09:15:10 AM »
Tee times 8:30ish-9:30ish.

Lunch will be included and Gregg Stanley, our Superintendent responsible for the transformation, will be available after lunch for a moderated Q&A.

Thank You,
Jeff Warne

Jeff,

I hadn’t read this excellent interview of you. Extremely informative. You and Gregg make a great team. I know from my days at Hudson National that Gregg enjoys architecture and construction. Looks like you guys made great changes. Do you get design credits?

Michael

Garland Bayley

« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2024, 12:23:48 PM »
If you are able to make this, I highly recommend it. It's got lots of things going for it that we like here - width, firm, fast, plenty of opportunity to run a ball up onto the greens if you want to. It's fantastic fun and I can't wait to see it with the native areas cut back a little.

Not to mention a chance to meet and commune with Jeff.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

jeffwarne

« Reply #21 on: May 03, 2024, 09:05:57 AM »
We are now officially oversubscribed.
I am now starting a waiting list .
As of 9:00 Friday 5/3/24 if you sent me an email or private message(and I responded) you are in.
If you have not sent me an email, please do so to jeffwarne85@gmail.com so we can move this to email

8:30-9:30 tee times on June 10th.
Be advised that traffic coming in(aka the trade parade)will be BRUTAL and you can add at least an hour to your ride from Westhampton in.
There are no viable shortcuts.
So if you're planning a 8 AM arrival from say NYC (normally a  2 hour 15 minute drive-add an hour to your commute from Westhampton in)
If you are considering lodging outside the Shinnecock Canal(Riverhead etc.) add the hour.
I don't have too many suggestions for lodging inside the canal-google or air bnb would be best.
Southampton Inn or Barons Cove in Sag Harbor would be all I can suggest but there may be more options than I am aware of these days.
Shelter Island(5 minute ferry) is an option that should be considered as they will still be in somewhat of off season, and you can throw in a Goat visit Sunday afternoon.

We look forward to a great day and thanks for your prompt responses and support of The Bridge Foundation

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2024, 12:38:25 PM »
I am playing Montauk Downs and the Shelter Island on Sunday, mostly to avoid traffic onto the island. Anyone want to join me? I was hoping to play BP Red or Blue, but out of staters have slim chances of grabbing any tee times. I'll play Ferry Point on my way out instead.
Last 8:
Smock GC (IN), Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC - South (OH), Fort Jackson - Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Municipal (NC), Pete Dye River Course (VA)
Next Up: Wolf Creek, Conestoga, Sand Hollow, Red Dixie Hills, Black Desert

Rob Marshall

« Reply #23 on: May 07, 2024, 09:20:26 PM »
A golf buddy from my club is playing The Bridge tomorrow. Looking forward to hearing about it when I get back to NYS next week.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2024, 07:49:43 PM by Rob Marshall »
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

jeffwarne

« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2024, 03:19:17 PM »
Participants-please check your emails for details-sent today Sunday May 12th

I still need emails from Pierre Cruikshank and Anthony Butler(send to me at jeffwarne85@gmail.com)
I will email you final details

The cut and paste and message function on GCA can be quite challenging so please communicate via email

We look forward to a great day.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back