News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

DFarron

Dallas Help Needed
« on: April 24, 2024, 11:35:07 AM »
In Dallas for the Rangers game, played Trinity yesterday, need some place to play tomorrow near Allen/Plano.

Any suggestions ?

Thanks !

Doug Bolls

Re: Dallas Help Needed
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2024, 01:21:08 PM »
I'll give you two possibilities:

PGA Headquarters in Frisco has 2 courses Fields Ranch East and West.  East held the Sr. PGA Championship last year.
I hear good things about both.

Tribute / Old American in The Colony.  The Tribute are a collection of "replica" links holes from Scotland and Ireland.
Old American is where the LPGA plays their yearly event in DFW. 

I would play any of the four and have a rewarding round.

DFarron

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2024, 03:33:19 PM »
Duh I can’t believe I didn’t remember PGA Frisco!

Thanks !

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2024, 03:36:42 PM »
If you are in Arlington, two quality courses without the drive are much closer to you.

Texas Rangers Golf Club is up 157/Collins from the stadium.  My former associate John Colligan redid it and it is very popular and upscale.  Go a few miles further north on 157 and turn left at Pipeline Road (you will see some oil storage tanks first, then take the first left after the tracks) for Keith Foster's Texas Star.  You will enjoy both, unless you want to play a future PGA site by Gil and Beau, or even the two Tripp Davis courses at Old American and Tribute, which are both also great.

If you are going to Texas Star, you'll be passing by my subdivision just after you cross the Trinity River, so wave when you go by.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

DFarron

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2024, 06:31:23 PM »
Thanks Jeff!

Doug Bolls

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2024, 06:48:22 PM »
Both good suggestions from Jeff.

Texas Rangers GC is hosting the Korn Ferry Tour this week - If you want to experience what that's like, they are keeping the course with the Sunday tour setup next Monday (Apr 29).  I think you have to call the proshop to get a teetime for that.

DFarron

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2024, 07:55:45 PM »
Thanks but I have to go home tomorrow night

Doug Bolls

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2024, 07:00:05 PM »
So, where did you play?
How was it?

DFarron

« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2024, 05:19:36 PM »
So, where did you play?
How was it?

Ended up playing in the CJ Cup qualifier at The Bridges in Gunter. Played the practice round and was going to withdraw and play somewhere else but changed my mind.

Interesting design but horrible conditionz I spent the day being 100 yards behind my playing competitors who’s combined age was 14 years less than mine !

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #9 on: April 29, 2024, 11:10:00 AM »
DFarron,

That was one of my designs, circa 2009, IIRC.  Obviously, not a great potential going through housing and old Texas cotton fields.  I know they are struggling and would expect pretty average or lower conditions.  Your post did lead me to Google Earth to see what it looked like.......Overlooking the maintenance, it is almost as I recall.  Some great holes among my favorite designs, and some pretty blah ones that probably needed more to distract from the boring landscape. 

If they haven't flipped the nines, 1-5 are good IMHO.  6-8 are blah.   10 (the L shaped green) and I like most of the back nine with 15 being the worst of the bunch.  All of the par 3 holes have been critiqued as either too long (16) or too much contour in the greens (6 and 11, 8 is okay, but visually bland).
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

DFarron

« Reply #10 on: April 29, 2024, 07:03:42 PM »
Jeff

I liked the basic layout, because of how spread out it was walking was not an option.
Conditioning was an issue especially in an event where we are counting all the strokes. I’m ok with bare lies up to the green but it’s pretty hard hitting pitch shots off bare mud lol.
All in all I enjoyed the course, if someone would put a little love in it would be fine.

mike_beene

« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2024, 10:43:06 PM »
I did not realize a qualifier for a tour event would allow riding. I guess the issue has settled down over the years. Is it a common occurrence?

DFarron

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2024, 08:41:33 PM »
Not sure this was my first one and it was a Pre-Qualifier, I’m pretty sure the rules sheet suggested that the final qualifier was walking only.

There was no way to walk this course, it had a lot of elevation changes and on some of the holes it was a very long distance between tees.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back