News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Will Lozier

Re: The Lido again
« Reply #25 on: October 19, 2023, 11:20:28 AM »
Since for my taste, while I enjoy the occasional round at HNGC with a close member friend, I'd slit my wrists if I had to play there every day.

I know you don't mean this literally, but this is just such a poorly worded and overhyped statement that surely makes GCA seem so much more important that it really is. To say you'd KILL YOURSELF if you HAD TO PLAY HAZELTINE NATIONAL EVERY DAY makes you sound incredibly silly.

Stay well
« Last Edit: October 20, 2023, 10:08:11 AM by Will Lozier »

Tom_Doak

« Reply #26 on: October 19, 2023, 04:30:02 PM »

I was wondering what version of the Lido sits in Wisconsin today? Is it the one the Macdonald design there at the original opening. Like other architects, he continued to shape his golf courses after the opening. Should that process be considered as finished at the new Lido?

What we built is pretty much what was in the plasticine model that Macdonald had made of his design, that served as the base plan for the contractor in 1918.  What blew my mind was how much detail and thought Macdonald had obviously put into the fairway contours of that model . . . I had not given any thought to how detailed it was, until I watched good players try to attack it.

The bunker styles there evolved over time; we had to pick one.  The grasses in the roughs evolved, too, as they will in Wisconsin.  The design really didn't change, apart from the tee on the 8th hole getting washed away, and them making some changes on that end of the course to design around what had been lost . . . obviously, we built the original version in that instance, and luckily I don't think a tidal surge will ever take out the 8th tee in Wisconsin!

Tom_Doak

« Reply #27 on: October 19, 2023, 04:31:10 PM »
Since for my taste, while I enjoy the occasional round at HNGC with a close member friend, I'd slit my wrists if I had to play there every day.

To say you'd KILL YOURSELF if you HAD TO PLAY HAZELTINE NATIONAL EVERY DAY makes you sound incredibly silly.

Nobody should joke about suicide.  But, you've gotta admit, you ought to find some more meaning in your life than playing Hazeltine National every day.

Sean_A

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2023, 03:27:09 AM »

I know you don't mean this literally, but this is just such a poorly worded and overhyped statement that surely makes GCA seem so much more important that it really is. To say you'd KILL YOURSELF if you HAD TO PLAY HAZELTINE NATIONAL EVERY DAY makes you sound incredibly silly.

Cheers

Signing that post off with cheers makes you sound silly.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

John Challenger

« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2023, 07:43:42 AM »
I know there are some people who are obsessives. Personally, it would drive me crazy if I had to play any course every day. No, if I had to play golf every day...

Will Lozier

« Reply #30 on: October 20, 2023, 10:06:47 AM »

Cheers

Signing that post off with cheers makes you sound silly.

Ciao

Agreed...but not nearly as silly as the original post.

Mark Mammel

« Reply #31 on: October 20, 2023, 02:04:55 PM »
Once again I am reminded that some on this site have a limited sense of humor. I'll rephrase to be less silly.

I find Hazeltine National too hard for my taste, and thus would not enjoy it as a daily experience. I use it as a comparison to Lido since the slope and my scoring are similar. As an add-on comment, I am very happy playing my home club, White Bear Yacht Club, every day I am able, and I could happily play Royal Dornoch, Cypress Point, and a few other courses every day. To each.....
So much golf to play, so little time....

Mark

Kalen Braley

« Reply #32 on: October 20, 2023, 03:13:16 PM »
Mark,

I got the humor even if a bit dark, as intentionally cutting yourself rarely leads to death, even if it hurts like hell.  Some people are masochists thou, perhaps its a membership qualification for Hazeltine!  ;D   I feel same about Idaho Club in Sandpoint.

William_G

« Reply #33 on: October 20, 2023, 05:50:51 PM »
Once again I am reminded that some on this site have a limited sense of humor. I'll rephrase to be less silly.

I find Hazeltine National too hard for my taste, and thus would not enjoy it as a daily experience. I use it as a comparison to Lido since the slope and my scoring are similar. As an add-on comment, I am very happy playing my home club, White Bear Yacht Club, every day I am able, and I could happily play Royal Dornoch, Cypress Point, and a few other courses every day. To each.....

needless to say the Lido could be very different day in and day out, which is appealing

WBYC, too many blind shots for me, love the road tee shots LOL
It's all about the golf!

Tim Leahy

« Reply #34 on: October 20, 2023, 06:42:56 PM »
Any plans for a PGA tour event at Lido? Maybe a post Thanksgiving match play type event? Revival of Shell's WWG? 8)
I love golf, the fightin irish, and beautiful women depending on the season and availability.

Peter Flory

« Reply #35 on: October 20, 2023, 09:11:55 PM »
Any plans for a PGA tour event at Lido? Maybe a post Thanksgiving match play type event? Revival of Shell's WWG? 8)

I'd love to see Nicklaus vs Snead out there with Sarazen on the mic. 

Tom_Doak

« Reply #36 on: October 20, 2023, 09:32:14 PM »

They're not likely to play a PGA Tour event in central Wisconsin.  Or even a LIV Tour event.

The USGA championship committee people have already been to Lido, though.  I would expect it to host something in the next ten years.  Obviously, not a U.S. Open, which is booked out beyond my life expectancy.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #37 on: October 21, 2023, 06:34:45 PM »

They're not likely to play a PGA Tour event in central Wisconsin.  Or even a LIV Tour event.

The USGA championship committee people have already been to Lido, though.  I would expect it to host something in the next ten years.  Obviously, not a U.S. Open, which is booked out beyond my life expectancy.

The Senior Am would be perfect there.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2023, 05:42:08 PM »
Lido gets the Mid-Am in 2026, plus three more at the resort

Sand Valley will host the U.S. Mid-Amateur in 2026. That tournament will be held on the newly constructed Lido, a private course on the resort. It opened for play this year.

The USGA today announced that Sand Valley Resort, in Nekoosa, Wis., will be the host site for four USGA championships, beginning with the U.S. Mid-Amateur in 2026. The 2029 U.S. Junior Amateur, 2030 U.S. Women’s Mid-Amateur and 2034 U.S. Girls’ Junior will also be conducted at the resort.
[/size]“The USGA is excited to begin this commitment with Sand Valley Resort, and we look forward to a long and fulfilling relationship,” said Mark Hill, USGA managing director, Championships. “The Keiser family has been committed to hosting national championships and promoting amateur competitions. We know that the resort’s courses will challenge and thoroughly impress the world’s best players.”[/color][/color]
« Last Edit: December 12, 2023, 05:45:55 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #39 on: December 13, 2023, 11:13:08 AM »
Any of the existing three courses can host those championships. It will be interesting to see the strategy of the mid-am players. They should score very well, but they have to be smart.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back