News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Richard Hetzel

Sequoyah National Golf Club - pictorial review
« on: December 09, 2023, 09:03:04 AM »
At the end of October I made a short, solo trip down to the Smokies to play a few golf courses; Egwani Farms (TN), Old Union (GA), Butternut Creek (GA) and Sequoyah National (NC).

Sequoyah National was a collaboration design with Robert Trent Jones II and Notah Begay III. The course is owned by the Eastern Band of Cherokee Native Americans and is located in Cherokee, NC. The course itself is built into a fairly mountainous piece of property. Compared to the scale of the course, the clubhouse is tiny as are the practice areas, but I can understand that as the room to build out more just isn’t there for more. That, or they ran out of money with how much it cost to clear the land here to create a workable golf course. That being said, the course is interesting, and fun, but it is 100% cart golf. The course does not make a visit back to the clubhouse here, so pack your snacks in advance. Ample opportunity to lose golf balls here as well. Although somewhat polarizing, I liked the golf course overall. The course tips out less than 6600 yards, but actually plays longer on many holes. Again, somewhat polarizing, but I liked it, not sure that I would play it a second time, but it was a fun and challenging experience. Has anyone else played here and what did you think of it?

« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 05:36:09 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Last 10:
Erie GC (PA), Skyway GC (NJ), Ferry Point Links (NY), The Bridge (NY), Montauk Downs (NY), Totteridge GC (PA), Hillsboro Elks (OH), Smock GC (IN), Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC - South (OH)

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Sequoyah National Golf Club - pictorial review
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2023, 09:32:01 AM »
Thanks for the pictures. It must have been a very difficult site to route and build with all the elevation changes. There seem to be many exciting golf shots, but I'm not sure I'd like a steady diet of the course.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Craig Sweet

« Reply #2 on: December 09, 2023, 07:26:33 PM »
It looks familiar...
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Randy Thompson

« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2023, 08:42:55 PM »
Great set of pictures! The maintenance conditions and the presentation of the course looks to be outstanding. What an incredible artisitc property and the shaping also look outstanding. I would have never guessed the architect. What year did that open? Looks like mid eighties design philosphy? Thanks for posting.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2023, 11:35:10 AM »
Randy,

I would have guessed Gene Bates based on the courses of his I've played like Circling Raven and Solider Hollow.

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2023, 05:31:34 PM »
Great set of pictures! The maintenance conditions and the presentation of the course looks to be outstanding. What an incredible artisitc property and the shaping also look outstanding. I would have never guessed the architect. What year did that open? Looks like mid eighties design philosphy? Thanks for posting.
If I remember correctly, it opened in 2009. They switched over to zoysia grass in 2011 as well. The conditions, especially for late October, were outstanding.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2023, 05:37:24 PM by Richard Hetzel »
Last 10:
Erie GC (PA), Skyway GC (NJ), Ferry Point Links (NY), The Bridge (NY), Montauk Downs (NY), Totteridge GC (PA), Hillsboro Elks (OH), Smock GC (IN), Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC - South (OH)

Keith Williams

« Reply #6 on: December 12, 2023, 09:34:09 AM »
Richard,

Very nice pics.  Clearly a tough site; it will be interesting to see as the course continues to age if the edges soften more and disguise the cuts and fills.

Care to weigh in or post on the other courses you played on the trip? 

-Keith

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2023, 11:51:28 AM »
Richard,

Very nice pics.  Clearly a tough site; it will be interesting to see as the course continues to age if the edges soften more and disguise the cuts and fills.

Care to weigh in or post on the other courses you played on the trip? 

I played the front 9 at Egwani farms in Maryville, TN. I also played 18 at Old Union and I played front 9 holes at the very quirky, Butternut Creek GC in Blairsville, GA. I can post pics later....

-Keith
Last 10:

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back