News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

MCirba

George Thomas's Design Influences
« on: June 16, 2023, 09:49:59 AM »
With the U.S. Open at Los Angeles Country Club this week and the focus on the architecture of "The Captain", George C. Thomas and his wonderfully strategic designs, I went back to my copy of his brilliant 1927 book, "Golf Architecture in America - Its strategy and construction" and was again struck by his remembrances of those who provided him with an early education in the art and craft of golf course architecture and thought it bore repeating some of the names here;

As I go back over the years of my golf there are many faces which come before me, and they are not alone of those with whom I have constructed courses, for to learn golf architecture one must know golf itself, it's companionships, it's joys, it's sorrows, it's battles- one must play golf and love it.

I recall find, old Sam Heebner,...with whom I build Whitemarsh in Pennsylvania in 1908 - a loyal friend and gentleman, long since gone to a better land.

At Bass Rocks, in Massachusetts, from 1901 to the war, I was associated with as great a golfer and true friend as any man ever boasted - Ned Sargent, of Cincinnati...

In those days I played Myopia and Essex, and Bass Rocks, in Massachusetts, and marveled at the new traps which Horace Leeds, of Myopia, constantly built.

The first course I ever constructed by myself was for a small Club sponsored by William Bullivant, of Marion, Massachusetts.   I have often wondered why he trusted me, and admired his sportsmanship in doing so.

I was a member of Pine Valley at the time of its construction.   I watched George Crump build it.   I grew up with it in golfing knowledge.   How we all loved George Crup who made this dream possible and how we all sorrowed when he left us!   No matter where I live I will always hold my Pine Valley resident membership.

On the Green Committee of the Philadelphia Cricket Club I aided in the work on their reconstructed course, and in the building of their new Flourtown course, the first being done under the supervision of Donald Ross, the second from the designs of A.W. Tillinghast, both golf architects of the highest class...

I always considered Hugh Wilson, of Merion, Pennsylvania, as one of the best of our architects, professional or amateur.   He taught me many things at Merion and the Philadelphia Municipal
(i.e. Cobb's Creek); and when I was building my first California courses he kindly advised me by letter when I wrote him concerning them.   He was a loyal friend and a fine golfer. Alas, that he did not live for his family, his friends and his golf...

...So it has been my fortune to be linked with some of the pioneers of golf architecture in the East; and coming to California later, I have been associated with a number of golf pioneers of the Pacific Slope.   To all these friends, past and present, I attibute what little I have been able to accomplish for golf construction.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Bret Lawrence

Re: George Thomas's Design Influences
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2023, 10:09:19 AM »
Great stuff Mike!

It’s kind of funny that Thomas refers to Herbert Leeds as Horace.  Was that his nickname?

MCirba

Re: George Thomas's Design Influences
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2023, 10:26:08 AM »
Great stuff Mike!

It’s kind of funny that Thomas refers to Herbert Leeds as Horace.  Was that his nickname?

Thanks, Bret.

I don't know but suspect he just misremembered his first name but remembered his unique bunkers.   ;D
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back