News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ally Mcintosh

Holes where the direct line is over Out of Bounds
« on: June 14, 2023, 01:06:08 PM »
Mention of the Road Hole on another thread has me asking the question.

Clearly we have potential safety issues but these holes are out there. Really I’m looking for good holes or holes on good courses. I can think of a few.

Matt Schoolfield

Re: Holes where the direct line is over Out of Bounds
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2023, 01:23:04 PM »
It’s a technicality, but #12, Rocky Shores, at Pacific Grove allows players to try to cut the corner over OB. The OB is still the course, but it’s played as OB.

It’s also my understanding that the tee shot on #6, Long Tom, at Orinda CC plays over a road.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 01:28:05 PM by Matt Schoolfield »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2023, 01:36:56 PM »
The obvious ones to me are CPC 15 - 16, unless they've since changed the rule that the ocean is OOB.

P.S.  I think the first hole at Stanford is over a public road

Jordan Beasley

« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2023, 03:02:49 PM »
#4 at St. Enodoc

David_Tepper

« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2023, 03:55:19 PM »
I think there is a par-3 (maybe #4?) on the front-9 at Castlerock (Northern Ireland) that is played over OB.

Anthony Butler

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2023, 05:18:56 PM »
Similar to the 16th at Cypress Pt. the Pacific Ocean on the 6th at New South Wales is not designated as a water hazard. Even if it was, you could only move your ball forward about 6 yards and you couldn't use a tee... Cape Wickham has a couple of similar situations with Bass Strait.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2023, 10:49:02 AM by Anthony Butler »
Next!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2023, 05:36:57 PM »
1st at Enniscrone?
atb
« Last Edit: June 14, 2023, 05:42:35 PM by Thomas Dai »

Ira Fishman

« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2023, 10:10:34 AM »
Mention of the Road Hole on another thread has me asking the question.

Clearly we have potential safety issues but these holes are out there. Really I’m looking for good holes or holes on good courses. I can think of a few.

Ally,

You have stumped at least me.

Kilspindie 8 is the only one that I could come up with and I am not sure it counts.

Ira

Jim Sherma

« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2023, 10:22:06 AM »
13th at Ceann Sibeal (Dingle Golf Links - Eddie Hackett) - dogleg right over a chunk of farm (couple of cows grazing one of the times when I've played). Into the wind keep it left otherwise you play diagonally over the corner choosing you line.

I like Dingle a lot, very rustic and bare bones course but still a solid second tier links in a sublime location.

David_Tepper

« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2023, 10:34:54 AM »
The 18th hole at Royal Dublin doglegs right around a staked area (or at least it did in 1984). I can't remember if it is marked OB.   

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2023, 11:26:10 AM »
13th at Ceann Sibeal (Dingle Golf Links - Eddie Hackett) - dogleg right over a chunk of farm (couple of cows grazing one of the times when I've played). Into the wind keep it left otherwise you play diagonally over the corner choosing you line.

I like Dingle a lot, very rustic and bare bones course but still a solid second tier links in a sublime location.

Jim, there aren't many Americans that have ventured to Ceann Sibeal. I thought it was a fun romp on some crumply rocky ground.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Mark Pearce

« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2023, 12:08:53 PM »
Consecutive par 4s at Crail Balcomie (4 and 5) play over the (OoB) beach. 
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

JohnVDB

« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2023, 07:55:16 PM »
The obvious ones to me are CPC 15 - 16, unless they've since changed the rule that the ocean is OOB.

P.S.  I think the first hole at Stanford is over a public road

I believe they changed it to a water hazard (penalty area) quite a few years ago.

Stanford does as did a NLE course in northern San Diego county called Fallbrook CC.

We had a Futures Tour tournament at a course in northen Geogia that had an Indian village in the middle of the course.  It was an environmentally sensitive area.  Since it didn’t contain water we couldn’t call it a water hazard and it was too large to be called GUR (per USGA guidance) so we made it Out of Bounds. Players had to tee off directly over it.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #13 on: June 15, 2023, 10:41:53 PM »
Consecutive par 4s at Crail Balcomie (4 and 5) play over the (OoB) beach.

Those are two very good holes. My bad for assuming that they were played as water hazards. I will try to remember on our return visit in August.

Overall, I think the 4-8 stretch is excellent.

Ira

Ben Sims

« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2023, 11:05:58 PM »
I think Dunbar #7 fits this definition.  Though I’m not quite sure how direct the line is over the wall.

Mark Kiely

« Reply #15 on: June 16, 2023, 01:45:29 AM »
The back tee on the 14th at Hacienda Golf Club in La Habra Heights, CA plays over a street.

Is there a very back tee on No. 2 at Pasatiempo that plays from across Pasatiempo Drive?
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #16 on: June 16, 2023, 01:54:03 AM »
Some good examples here.

Particularly I’m looking at ones where it’s not just the big hitters line, examples should be ones where the only viable option is to hit over the OOB. Most given here are like that.

The best examples are also those where the shot is hitting over land not owned by the golf course although all are valid as long as the OOB is an external course boundary (e.g. Royal Dublin, Crail) rather than an internal one (e.g. Goswick).

Are there any modern examples?

Sean_A

« Reply #17 on: June 16, 2023, 02:31:55 AM »
Some good examples here.

Particularly I’m looking at ones where it’s not just the big hitters line, examples should be ones where the only viable option is to hit over the OOB. Most given here are like that.

The best examples are also those where the shot is hitting over land not owned by the golf course although all are valid as long as the OOB is an external course boundary (e.g. Royal Dublin, Crail) rather than an internal one (e.g. Goswick).

Are there any modern examples?

Hoylake has some of the best direct line OoB in golf.

OoB at Goswick VS Hoylake to me are very different cases. Yes, the clubs own the OoB land. However, in the case of Hoylake the OoB is a practice ground and therefore it makes no sense to be part of the course. Thus I consider it external OoB and the holes are better for it. Goswick on the other hand created OoB for safety reasons and the opener suffers for this. The club owning the land is immaterial to the type of OoB.

16 Aberdovey I think requires going OoB as a direct line to the green, but it's close.

16 New Zealand. This type of OoB is very common.

8 Blackwell is a good un. Not so good for the homeowner.

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 16, 2023, 02:52:26 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #18 on: June 16, 2023, 02:53:09 AM »
Yes that’s why I used Goswick as a poor example. Hoylake is like Royal Dublin in that the OOB is the practice ground. I think the RD example is good because it’s a par-4 with no alternative thank to hit your approach directly over a good chunk of OOB.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #19 on: June 16, 2023, 03:49:07 AM »
Rutland Water's 16th hole from the blue tees the drive goes across the boundary line if you fade it to get onto the fairway.

Kirby Muxloe used to have an island tee in the middle of a field that you were going across the OOB before getting to the field of play.

Enno Gerdes

« Reply #20 on: June 16, 2023, 04:05:04 AM »
Yes that’s why I used Goswick as a poor example. Hoylake is like Royal Dublin in that the OOB is the practice ground. I think the RD example is good because it’s a par-4 with no alternative thank to hit your approach directly over a good chunk of OOB.

IIRC, Hoylake has another example on the 6th, where the OOB on the tee shot is not the practice ground, but somebody's back garden. Can't really be avoided, also because the best line into the green is from the left side of the fairway.

Richard Fisher

« Reply #21 on: June 16, 2023, 05:40:09 AM »
Gog Magog Old 2nd, straight over an old quarry pit. Quite intimidating for the second drive of the day, albeit with an easy safer line with much less carry to the left (which then however renders the green out of reach for the 2nd shot)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back