News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lance Rieber

Re: Scotland accommodations advice
« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2024, 11:36:21 PM »
Lance -

Sorry our paths will not cross in Dornoch.

The food at the Royal Golf is generally quite good. Luigi's on Castle Street is very good and very popular. Greens in Tain is also quite good and worth the 10-minute drive.

With 8 guys in your group booking ahead is highly recommended. In fact you might want to think about splitting up into 2 groups of four and going to 2 different places.

I would also recommend squeezing in a round at Golspie or Brora when you are there.

DT

Lance,

Greens in Dornoch is also very good. The Dornoch Captain and I did a count last fall and there were 17 places to eat in Dornoch. Some are quick grab and goes and others more formal.

I will be there when you are there, although my girlfriend is coming that week so I’m not sure what my plans will be. Hopefully we can meet for a drink if nothing else.

I’ll agreee about Brora or Golspie.  If you go up that way, The Trawler in Golspie has won awards as a Fish and Chips place.

Guys, thanks for the wonderful advice.  We are playing Golspie on Saturday and I will either double up that day at Brora or Friday after Dornoch. How is the clubhouse at Royal Dornoch?  Is it a place to eat and or hang out?  Also how is Crenshaw’s Brasserie at the Royal Golf Hotel?JohnVDB[/size][size=78%]I’d love to get a drink or maybe get a chance to play when I’m up. [/size][/font][/size]
Dave, et all,  Thanks again for the guidance

David_Tepper

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2024, 08:57:59 AM »
Lance -

Glad your group will try to play Golspie & Brora.

As John VDB mentioned, the Trawler in Golspie does very good fish & chips. You can dine in or takeaway.

If you like Indian food, Sid's Spice in Brora is well regarded.  So is the food at the Royal Marine Hotel in Brora.

Crenshaw's Brasserie is the name of the dining room at the Royal Golf Hotel in Dornoch.

I will try to give you an update on the dining scene when I get over there in May. Things can change from year-to-year depending if a chef/cook arrives or departs or if a restaurant changes ownership.

DT

JohnVDB

« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2024, 09:50:23 AM »
Lance,

Greens in Dornoch is open for lunch also.

The food at RD clubhouse has improved in the last couple of years and is good in my opinion. The bar area is small so most people end up having drinks in the restaurant area in front of it that has the views of the first hole. No need to order food if you don’t want any.

I haven’t been to Crenshaws at the Royal Golf in a few years.  No real reason but I need to go since I have a discount card there now.

There is also an Indian in Dornoch that is ok, not the best but no driving required which is a plus.

Dale Frischknecht

« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2024, 11:04:26 AM »
In St Andrews, I recommend The Seafood Ristorante.  It is along the coast line behind the R&A Museum.  We were lucky to get a table for two on a Sunday night without reservations.  The food and atmosphere combined with a sunny evening made for a great time.

Ed Brzezowski

« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2024, 02:54:17 PM »
In our two trips to St Andrews, we did not find a can’t miss restaurant (other than drinks at the Dunvegan where the food is actually good), but last August, we ended up eating twice at Jahangir Tandoor because the food was excellent although the service a bit rushed.

Ira
Best restaurant in Fife is The Cellar, in Anstruther.  Must be on the verge of a second Michelin star.  In St Andrews, Rogue does a decent steak but I agree, nothing unmissable in the town.

no love for the Fish Bar?     i thought it was top notch.
We have a pool and a pond, the pond would be good for you.

James Reader

« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2024, 03:05:22 PM »
I’d agree with Mark and Dale on the Cellar and the Seafood Ristorante; both are very good but fairly expensive. For something a but less fancy the Kinneuchar Inn in Kilconquhar, just outside Elie, is great.

Lance Rieber

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2024, 05:14:44 PM »
Thanks everyone for the responses!  I’m surprised St Andrews doesn’t have more impressive dining options. In Gullane, how is the Bonnie Badger?  Seems to be well thought of but then reviews are mixed. The Main Course?  I’m sure we will try Ducks Inn for drinks one night, is that decent place to eat also?  Thanks
Lance

David Jones

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2024, 06:12:45 PM »
Thanks everyone for the responses!  I’m surprised St Andrews doesn’t have more impressive dining options. In Gullane, how is the Bonnie Badger?  Seems to be well thought of but then reviews are mixed. The Main Course?  I’m sure we will try Ducks Inn for drinks one night, is that decent place to eat also?  Thanks
Lance

Hi Lance,

I live in Gullane and organise trips to the area. The Bonnie Badger is excellent to stay in, with very good service from the front of house staff. The food is expensive but good. The restaurant service has improved a lot since launch.

The Main Course is our family favourite - in fact we are going tomorrow evening!

Ducks is no more. Malcolm has sold up and new owners are currently gutting the place. I think it will be open under a new guise next year.

Sean_A

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2024, 08:06:08 PM »
Lance

Bonnie Badger is good, but a bit of dead restaurant and expensive for what it is. I guess it depends on what you are looking for, but I wasn’t impressed.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

JohnVDB

« Reply #34 on: January 27, 2024, 08:20:43 PM »
In 2016 I went to St. Andrews for a rules class.  One night the folks from the R&A took a few of us out to dinner in town. As I remember it was very good food and Very Good wine.  I recall the restaurant was a couple of steps down from street level. I think it was on South Street, but I can’t say for sure as we went by taxi from the Fairmont where we were staying.

It might not have survived Covid, but someone might remember the name.

Lance Rieber

« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2024, 11:17:51 PM »
Guys, is there anything for those of us who are going over first time that we need to think about, logistically? things to bring, not bring? Is there anything about flying, luggage, anything you can think you would have done different, not so much from a golf standpoint. In a group, how did you do dinner, one check, separate? Any advice is greatly appreciated
Lance

Daryl David

« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2024, 12:25:33 AM »
Dinner is easy. Credit card roulette. Put all the cards in a hat and have the server draw one. The guy that loses is out of the next drawing. Adds a little excitement to the evening activities.

Niall C

« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2024, 04:57:39 AM »
Lance

If you want to go native then what you'd do is split the restaurant bill evenly. I know that is not generally the American way but it saves an awful lot of flaffing about and arguing over who owes what. Over the course of a trip it all tends to even out. Of course if someone insists in going for the most expensive items on the menu and wine list then they can throw in extra.

Certainly when you get to the bar, do NOT buy drinks separately. Each of you take turns to buy a round. I assume you probably know that but just in case. Also, it is not customary to tip in a pub.

On many of the trips I go on we have a kitty. Everyone puts in the same amount each day or when the kitty is needing replenished, and the nominated kitty master uses that to pay for all the food and drink. Makes life so much simpler.

Niall

Sean_A

« Reply #38 on: January 29, 2024, 05:17:59 AM »
Lance

If you want to go native then what you'd do is split the restaurant bill evenly. I know that is not generally the American way but it saves an awful lot of flaffing about and arguing over who owes what. Over the course of a trip it all tends to even out. Of course if someone insists in going for the most expensive items on the menu and wine list then they can throw in extra.

Certainly when you get to the bar, do NOT buy drinks separately. Each of you take turns to buy a round. I assume you probably know that but just in case. Also, it is not customary to tip in a pub.

On many of the trips I go on we have a kitty. Everyone puts in the same amount each day or when the kitty is needing replenished, and the nominated kitty master uses that to pay for all the food and drink. Makes life so much simpler.

Niall

This generally works well in my experience. The only real problem is when folks don’t drink. Drink usually being a significant percentage of the bill can create problems after several meals. It pays for someone in the group to take note and suggest non drinkers don’t pay every 4th meal or something similar. It would get old buying dinner drinks when one doesn’t drink.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Ashridge, Kennemer, de Pan, Eindhoven, Hilversumche, Royal Ostend, Alnmouth & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Niall C

« Reply #39 on: January 29, 2024, 05:22:58 AM »
Agreed

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #40 on: January 29, 2024, 06:16:48 AM »
I have a friend who swears by an app.  Splitwise.com
Allows anyone to pay a bill and then aportion costs. If only two of you eat somewhere, it accomodates that. It would also allow you to treat drinks separately.  At the end of the trip it simplifies settlling up, by counterbalancing.

I know another group where one guy pays everything and then sends the others a number to recompense him at the end.
I imagine some trips the no must come as a bit of a shock.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 06:19:22 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

John Mayhugh

« Reply #41 on: January 29, 2024, 09:10:21 AM »

This is a really good cost sharing system.

If flying into EDI, you may want to take a look at the fastTrack services. Pay a small fee and get expedited lane for immigration (inbound). Probably not necessary, but less time spent standing in lines always appeals to me. There used to be an option for also expedited security (outbound), but that program seems to be inactive at the moment.

https://www.edinburghairport.com/prepare/arriving-passengers/fasttrack-passport-control

It's a good idea to get an airtag for your golf bag and any other checked bags.

Ira Fishman

« Reply #42 on: January 29, 2024, 09:21:21 AM »
Lance,

I strongly recommend packing an extra set of clothes and a second pair of golf shoes in your carry on luggage.

Also, a good supply of Advil or Tylenol--it is not fun searching for a pharmacy when you really need it.

Before buying apparel at every course, check if they have an on line pro shop. It avoids over packing on the return flight and often is less expensive. The caveat is that not all items might be available on line.

Finally, make sure to have UK plug adapters for your chargers.

Ira

Ben Sims

« Reply #43 on: January 29, 2024, 10:05:22 AM »
Guys, is there anything for those of us who are going over first time that we need to think about, logistically? things to bring, not bring? Is there anything about flying, luggage, anything you can think you would have done different, not so much from a golf standpoint. In a group, how did you do dinner, one check, separate? Any advice is greatly appreciated
Lance

I managed a week plus of clothing in my carryon and flight bag. Admittedly I’m better at this than most. But if you can swing it, I recommend this. Only checked luggage was the clubs and given what I know now, I might not even do that. Just ship them to first location.

The other thing I’d add is foot care. Most people don’t walk 13 miles a day. If you’re even mildly prone to a blisters, make sure 1) you have high quality socks. Darn Tough is my brand. Plus wool doesn’t stink as bad. 2) have various things to treat your feet. My go-to is pre-cut KT blister prevention tape. Comes in a little case that looks like a hockey puck. Trust me on this. Foot care for 36-hole per day trips is not discussed enough.

Ken Moum

« Reply #44 on: January 29, 2024, 11:12:59 AM »

Also, a good supply of Advil or Tylenol--it is not fun searching for a pharmacy when you need it.

Not to mention that the biggest package of paracetamol (Tylenol) you canreadily buy is 16 500mg tablets.

And for those with gastric issues like me,  the OTC landscape is very different.
Over time, the guy in the ideal position derives an advantage, and delivering him further  advantage is not worth making the rest of the players suffer at the expense of fun, variety, and ultimately cost -- Jeff Warne, 12-08-2010

David_Tepper

« Reply #45 on: January 29, 2024, 11:18:40 AM »
If you need the occasional use of a "sleep-aide," be aware that melatonin tablets/gummies can only be purchased with a prescription in the UK. It is not sold over the counter. If you are a user, bring it with you.

https://www.patchworksuk.com/blog/the-secret-to-buying-melatonin-in-uk-shops-online-and-everything-else-you-need-to-know-about-this-must-have-sleep-supplement/
« Last Edit: January 29, 2024, 11:34:31 AM by David_Tepper »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #46 on: January 29, 2024, 02:43:29 PM »
Is Venmo disabled in the UK?

One guy pays the bill with the plastic, the others Venmo their share of the meal.  I've yet to meet anyone who doesn't have it on their phone and its beyond norm here.  Also avoid the squabbling and the like of someone getting stuck with a massive bill.

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #47 on: January 29, 2024, 03:15:24 PM »
Venmo only works in the US.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Tim Martin

« Reply #48 on: January 29, 2024, 03:27:18 PM »
Is Venmo disabled in the UK?

One guy pays the bill with the plastic, the others Venmo their share of the meal.  I've yet to meet anyone who doesn't have it on their phone and it’s beyond norm here.  Also avoid the squabbling and the like of someone getting stuck with a massive bill.

I would suggest that the “kitty” system that Niall makes reference to and that John Mayhugh is supportive of is actually easier than each person using Venmo for every new expense incurred by the group. As to Kalen’s assertion that “I’ve yet to meet anyone who doesn’t have it on their phone” it’s simply not true as a general reference.

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #49 on: January 29, 2024, 06:38:46 PM »
Bring lots of golf balls, in my experience they are much more expensive in the UK.
And for foot care - those silicone gel pads can be lifesavers if you get blisters.  And bring your most comfy golf shoes - at least two pair, maybe more.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back