News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Blithe BEVERLEY GC New
« on: July 01, 2022, 05:05:16 PM »
A Minster town in Yorkshire’s East Riding, Beverley is handsome and historically important. The current Minster has roots back to the 1200’s and is considered one of England’s best examples of Gothic architecture. Even though Beverley Minster is larger than some cathedrals, it is but a parish church!  This demotion from a collegiate church came during King Henry VIII’s Dissolution of the Monasteries in 1548. To this day the twin towers of the Minster is an imposing sight from the plains surrounding the town.

Fellow GCAer Giles Payne knew of my proclivity for rustic golf and his recommendation is the reason  I found myself in Beverley. The Beverley and East Riding GC is perhaps a mile from the Minster and thus the centre of town and about the same distance to the Beverley Racecourse. Both the Minster and the race course can be seen from the golf course. Sadly, I know nothing about the golf course other than it was founded in 1889, making it a fairly old English club. It was originally located at Black Mill then moved to its present site at Union Mill in 1906.

Laid out on Westwood Common which was granted to locals in 1380 and now owned by the borough council, the golf course is as one might expect; fast running fairways with beautifully cow kept rough and greens fenced off at an uncomfortably high height for those under 6 foot. The soil is a mix of chalk and clay, which was used for building foundations and fertiliser. Limekilns and chalk pits were scattered about the common, but the last one was destroyed over 200 years ago. 

While bovines provide necessary maintenance, the charming institution of pasture masters is carried on at Beverley. These are twelve town Freeman (and now women) who are elected annually in the Guild Hall. The pasture masters employ two neatherds for daily maintenance of the common while pasture masters collect rents and manage bye-laws. You can be sure that this system is more complicated than imaginable.

Seventeen holes are across the B1230 from the house. However, the view on the walk to the 1st is uplifting.

The opener is a fine hole bending sharply right. A bunker guards the right side of the sloping left green. A hollow on the left awaits the pulled approach.

A rather dull hole follows, but the third is a thrilling par 5. Playing downhill the entire length of the hole, the drive is obscured yet our instinct tells us to keep a bit right. If the tee shot isn't a visual delight, this view of Black Mill and the Minster surely is. 

After playing through rough bisecting the fairway, we encounter this downhill approach. Who knows what the run-out will be, but long is dead.

The curious short 4th.

Many tee shots wind up in cow country by the road.

Behind the miniscule green.

A look at the kick-in area for the tee shot.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: October 05, 2022, 07:05:30 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

Re: Blithe BEVERLEY GC:1-4
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 05:41:17 PM »
Glad you’ve gotten to play Beverley.
Grazing animals. Yippee! :)
Atb

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2022, 04:19:35 AM »
Looking forward to the rest of this tour Sean, I know nothing of Beverley.

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2022, 08:33:32 AM »
BEVERLEY TOUR CONT

The 5th climbs the hill in the manner of a dogleg left. From the tee it looks like right is dead and that drives will bounce hard to the right! I elected to play to the left in the rough. It transpires that the angle to the green from the left rough is undesirable because the terrain around the green moves right. I am not sure I like this hole, but it does require shotmaking.

The severe drop shot 6th holds no particular interest for me.  It is the long two-shotter 7th back into the trees which is absorbing.  Very much like the 4th, the green is tucked between trees with a kick-in on the right. The cows won the few minutes stand-off. I moved my ball  ;) .

Even with a short  iron in hand the target is ill-defined.

I am usually adverse to trees so close to greens, but it seems to work at Beverley.

The short 9th. There is an unmistakable air of golf fitting into the landscape at Beverley. It's a shame the land behind the green is close to the road; looks like a cracking green site.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 04, 2022, 03:34:47 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

James Boon

Re: Blithe BEVERLEY GC: 1-9
« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2022, 12:34:11 PM »
Sean,

Thanks for this tour!

The Secretary at Beverley is a good friend of mine, but to my embarrassment I've not managed to get there for a game yet, we just always seem to play at my place or his other Ganton... You may remember Andy as he joined us there for a game at Ganton a few years back!

I love the look of this though and will make a concerted effort to get there soon!

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2022, 01:21:59 PM »

Great photo. Highlights golf and a natural environment in togetherness. In many way the essence of the origins of the game.
Atb

Sean_A

Re: Blithe BEVERLEY GC: 1-9 New
« Reply #6 on: July 04, 2022, 06:05:20 AM »
BEVERLEY GC TOUR CONT

Playing over a valley, the two-shotter 9th is in truth a bit tricky. The green sits a bit below the fairway and doesn't seem to kick left as does the fairway.  The 10th reminds me of Walton Heath Old's 12th. The fairway banks to the right. Once again the green is below the fairway which makes it difficult to judge the run-out.  Playing over the 10th green and directly toward the Minster, the eleventh fairway abruptly ends in a blind zone. There is no trouble going a bit long if straight. I expect it is a different story in winter.

The shortish approach is uphill to a back to front tilted green. There are no fairway bunkers, but many of the greens have a bunker or two in near proximity. The reader can readily see how well conditioned the course is. The unwatered fairways make for properly thinned out fescue rough.

With a blind drive turning viciously left, the 12th is a difficult hole to get a grip of. The hole was probably made more difficult due to playing the forward tee.  The green is something special. The downhill fairway is cut-off from the green by rough covered mounds and hollows so most will want to just carry the long grass and hope for a good bounce.  The hole is on the high side of a well contoured putting surface.

A down and up hole, the 13th is fairly severe, made more so by cows chilling. I like to hit a low ball when going uphill and was made very uncomfortable so I decided to use more loft.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: May 20, 2023, 02:47:28 AM by Sean_A »

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Blithe BEVERLEY GC: 1-9
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2022, 05:36:45 AM »

...the 12th is a difficult hole to get a grip of. The hole was probably made more difficult due to playing the forward tee.

Words I never thought I'd hear from you.   ;D

And neatherd too.  :o

Great find, lovely tour.  Looks a lot of fun.

I can foresee  a journey north or south with a breaker involving this plus Cleveland and/or Seaton Carew.

Let's make GCA grate again!

Mike Sweeney

Re: Blithe BEVERLEY GC: 1-13
« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2022, 06:04:08 AM »
Sean,

I played last night at the Arble-ish Seneca Lake GC as the sun set before the Lake Placid, NY fireworks. Waking up, I see more and more the effort you have put into these tours over the years. They are wonderful and thanks again.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2022, 06:08:47 AM by Mike Sweeney »
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

John Mayhugh

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2022, 07:35:21 AM »
Sean,
At least your time at Pennard prepared you for bovine spectators/obstacles.

Thanks for doing this tour. The greens look pretty interesting. Some years ago, I talked with Mark Rowlinson about that part of the world. I had a free day and took a look around York & Beverley (thanks to Mark's suggestions). For golf, I ended up at Flamborough Head (for the views) and wondered what I missed with Beverley. You're making me want to see it for myself.

The cow situation is interesting.

DSC00175 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

Just hanging around outside the racecourse. I could see a bit of the course and the Black Mill from the road.
DSC00177 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

St. Mary's is the church on the other side of town.

DSC00205 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

Beverley North Bar - a 15th century gate. Really will be nice to be back in England in September. I miss places like this.

DSC00211 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

Sean_A

« Reply #10 on: July 06, 2022, 06:43:13 AM »
Spangles

The 12th is a very awkward dogleg of which the second is blind. The pro play is to hit to where you can see....I didn't do this.

Tucky

You would like Beverley.

Thanks Sweeney.

Beverley Tour Cont

We get a sneak preview of the benched 14th green on the 13th tee.

An attractive hole which strikes me as quintessential English golf.

The multi-purpose recreational use of the land is very evident.

The course transitions to the flatter 15-17. I don't know why the 15th is called Majuba. Its a bit uphill, but not enough to call it a hill.

Running slightly downhill through the green, the 16th is a tough plus 200 yard par 3.

It looks intimidating from the tee, but there is plenty of room on the 17th. The low rolling, humpty bumpty terrain is superb.

Quite a modern looking hole, the fine short 18th is named for the Anti Mill which is incorporated into the clubhouse.

And a simple yet elegant house it is.

In a word, impressed. Yes, Beverley was a great suprise. Driving to the course and initial impressions didn't give me a sense there would be such varied terrain. There is some up and down, but mixed in with a handful of flat holes as well. Being under 6000 yards keeps the round enjoyable. More importantly, there are several holes which have real architectural merit; these include 1, 3, 4, 7-14 and 16-18. The variety amongst these holes is outstanding and it helps that conditions were excellent except for the over-watered greens. All in all, for 25 quid it is hard to find any real fault with Beverely. This is my kinda course and shoots straight into my Happy 100 with a very prominent position.  1*  2022

Cheers Giles!

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 06, 2022, 06:51:32 AM by Sean_A »

Ally Mcintosh

Re: Blithe BEVERLEY GC
« Reply #11 on: July 06, 2022, 12:34:56 PM »
Appears very interesting.

Some easy work on mowing lines and patterns would make it look as attractive as you say it plays.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #12 on: July 06, 2022, 01:36:41 PM »
Thanks for the tour. Glad I mentioned this course to you.
Your comment about over-watered greens is a bit of a concern and I do hope they do not allow, if they have the open-land owners permission to do something about it, the trees and vegetation to grow too much and expand into the playing areas.
Atb

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #13 on: July 06, 2022, 04:12:58 PM »
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2022, 07:31:06 AM »
Some easy work on mowing lines and patterns would make it look as attractive as you say it plays.
The presentation does look a bit odd. Hopefully I'll get a chance to visit sometime.

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2022, 01:23:00 AM »
The presentation does look a bit odd. Hopefully I'll get a chance to visit sometime.

Beverley is a £25 course 🤷.

Ciao

John Mayhugh

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2022, 07:16:33 AM »
Sean,
I may be wrong, but assumed that mowing fairways without stripes doesn't cost any more. It's an odd look for an otherwise rustic course.

Sean_A

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2022, 02:52:48 AM »
Sean,
I may be wrong, but assumed that mowing fairways without stripes doesn't cost any more. It's an odd look for an otherwise rustic course.

Yes, there are some odd cut lines which are not harmonious. The greenkeeper should be more aware of this, but it's a small beer issue at Beverley. I am a bit surprised some rough isn't encouraged as food for the cows.

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 19, 2022, 02:56:14 AM by Sean_A »

Giles Payne

« Reply #18 on: July 21, 2022, 04:45:33 AM »
I’m really glad you enjoyed it - I really thought it was your sort of course.

Richard Fisher

« Reply #19 on: July 21, 2022, 08:28:51 AM »
I have a rather nice collection of B&ERGC scorecards from the early 1950s, bequeathed by my late Dad who played there a lot when based at the University of Hull. He and his friends allowed themselves one annual visit to Ganton as a treat, but Beverley was their customary haunt, and one of which Dad was very fond (although he never joined the club): I don't get the sense from Sean's tour that it has changed overmuch in the intervening seventy years!

Beverley is one of the very finest of England's smaller towns, as an added inducement for those planning an outing to this part of the world. And you are not that far from Spurn Head, never a golf course but some of the most weirdly interesting seascape in the UK.

Sean_A

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2022, 04:24:42 PM »
A major reason for playing Beverley was to see the town. The town and course make for a memorable day/night Hence the reason for a 1*. Location always matters to me.

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back