News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Portmahomack aka Tarbat Golf Club - Eric Terhorst revisits
« on: January 17, 2022, 11:58:11 PM »
I played Tarbat Golf Club in 2018 before the Buda competition was held at Brora and Golspie.
I have long wanted to do a thread on the club, but I like my threads to use Google Earth images of the course in question.
The Google Earth images available in 2018 were quite poor, and every time I tried to start a thread I got hung up on trying to make use of them.
Finally, I went back to Google Earth, and found that they had made new images a year after I played there.

Tarbat has not only captured my imagination. It also captured Kyle Franz's imagination as he brings it up in his first feature interview on this website.
https://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/kyle-franz-june-2011/

When asked, "Which five courses were perhaps either too obscure or have made the most impressive improvements since Tom Doak published his Confidential Guide?"

Kyle responded in part as follows:

"5. Tarbat Golf Club – Portmahomack, Scotland – There is certainly plenty of course countrywide that might be worthy. However, I can't help but plug this largely unknown little 10 hole course as I can whole heartedly recommend it given its proximity fo Dornoch (make sure you play the alternate “16th” to make it an even ten holes). There is plenty of design merit besides location. It was laid out by none other than John Sutherland in 1909 – And if you know your Royal Dornoch history you know it's pretty safe to say he was riding a nice little hot streak from 1890-1910 from the creativity standpoint! If you're in town to see its famous neighbor and have a little spare time in between rounds on the big courses make the 20 minute trip over for quick warm up or late evening game at Tarbat. There's a few excellent little holes any keen student of architecture can enjoy and it is a prime reminder of how simple the game can be while still being architecturally relevant."

Perhaps even Tom Doak has taken note of the club, as he posted:

To check out this thesis, today I stopped in at a small town club in Scotland which I'd never seen in my travels.  (I had only got to about 10km away before.)

They have nine holes of rugged links terrain with a few houses about.  The locker room had 14 lockers; the handicap sheet indicated about 20 full members and 40 seniors.  The honesty tray of used golf balls for 20p was a clear indicator.

I fear its time is short and the local golfers will have to drive to the next town 10 minutes up the road to play.  A shame really as it is a lovely wee course, and once it's gone, the kids who grow up there will be much less likely to take up golf.  The primary school is right next to the clubhouse.  Perhaps they will keep two or three holes even if the club folds?  One can hope.

I wish I had been there on a busier day to meet some of the members and hear what it means to them.

This illicited the response:

9-holes, links terrain, few houses about? Primary school next to the Clubhouse?
Would the course/Club happen to be - Tarbat GC at Portmahomack?
atb

As far as I could see, Tom never answered Dai's question on the thread. However, I saw the locker room, and although I didn't count them 14 seems to be about right for what I saw. As to driving 10 minutes up the road to play golf, that would be at Tain Golf Club. As to what the course means to the members, they know they are really fortunate to have such a wonderful place to play.

I can also report that I bought out the entire stock of logo'd merchandise that they had. I bought both of the golf caps in stock.

Finally, Eric Terhorst also thought highly enough of the course to produce a thread about it (no longer with photos). I will be replicating what he said about the course, and adding my photos.

"On my recent all-too-brief visit to Scotland, we were looking for a warm-up on the way to Dornoch on a Monday morning, and spied a red flag on the Michelin map that marked the 9-hole golf course at Portmahomack, a village on the out-of-the-way peninsula east of Tain."

"According the Club’s web site:" 
"The club was founded in 1909, and John Sutherland, the famous secretary of Royal Dornoch G.C., advised on the design of the original course."

"As shown in the aerial view courtesy of Google Earth, the village separates the course from the beach, so it’s not hard by the water.  But if you look closely at the aerial, you can see the shadows of some dunesy hillocks in the center and southern part of the property, on which the best holes are located."

Tarbat2019GoogleEarthSite by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

IMG_8921PortmahomackDornochFirth by Garland Bayley, on Flickr
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 04:32:01 PM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Garland Bayley

Re: Tarbat Golf Club - Portmahomack, Scotland (on Dornoch Firth)
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 12:37:03 AM »
Some more recommendations for Tarbat:

Rich Goodale:

"go to Portmahomack, which I've walked but not played, but it looks like proper quirky links golf.  If you do and like it, let us know and I'll play it when I'm next up in Dornoch in a month or so.  Also, Portmahomack is a coll wee village with a great on-going archaological dig and history museum right near the course as well as a fine fish restaurant, the Oystercatcher (if it's still there)."

"Portmahamock, on the other hand is an oldie but goodie.  Laid out ~100+ years ago by the (should be) legendary John Sutherland, and probably relatively untouched over the past century.  Where it seems to have been touched is the 1st and 2nd holes, which are agricultural rather than Sutherlandish, and an attempt to make the course larger rather than better.  After that, however, you are on a roller coaster ride through rough linksland, with heaving fairways and more heavingly seemingly unhittable/unstayable greens.  Throughout these 7 holes you can see where old holes might have been, and as a bonus, you find that this is not at all a 9-holer but a 10-holer!  The 5th/14th plays from a differnet green from a different tee.  Locals play the course using both 5th tees on both tours and then ending on 7/16, which is conveniently by the clubhouse.  With a little bit more money and a little bit more understanding of its history and TLC, this could be one of the greatest 9-holers in the world."
If anyone can explain Rich's numbering here, it would be appreciated.

Jon Wiggett:

"I would place Castle Stuart, Nairn and Boat of Garten as must plays in the Highland area. These closely followed by Golspie, Brora, Wick, Tain, Fortrose, Portmahomack and Reay in that order for the links that are accesable."

In a year in review.

"MOST SURPISING COURSE: Must be Wick. Went up there expecting a run of the mill links but found a time capsule. Wick is no fuss, fun golf in its most traditional form. Lots of quirk and challenge with none of the commercial rubbish found at so many of our courses these days. Welcomming members and good value.   RUNNER -UP: Portmahomack. For much the same reasons as Wick. Great little links 9 holer."

Another mention:

"Two courses close to me that I played for the first time in the last couple of years that exceeded my expectations were Portmahomack (great little nine holer close to Tain) and Spey Bay which is a solid well under the radar 18 hole links."

And finally:

"There is something special about playing Carrbridge, Portmahomack or Abernethy where you put your money in the honesty box and go out and play a fun round at a reasonable price on a course that fits the landscape."

Kris Shreiner:

"the nine hole charmer at Portmahomack across the Dornoch Firth, near the not to be missed Oystercatcher dining spot"

With all this praise, it is time to take a closer look at the links:

Tarbat2019GoogleEarth by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

The yardages given are for the yellow tees, because the scorecard says (and I was so instructed) "White, blue, and red tees are for competition use only."
So we are looking at 4880 yards and par 68. In the routing, you will see that it is a 10 hole course, as first time around they play the par 3 7th, and the second time around they play the alternative par 3 16th. I had dropped them an email before leaving the states, and their reply suggested that I could pay for 9 holes and play 10 if I was short on time. It was quite convenient to play 7, then move over to 16 tee, and play it. Allowed me to head back to play 18 at Tain in the afternoon.

The club is served by a very modest clubhouse.

IMG_8878TarbatClubhouse by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Which is very convenient to the bus stop. (I used public transport for my trip.)

IMG_8922TarbatParking by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 12:43:54 AM by Garland Bayley »
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 03:06:53 AM »
Great start Garland. Looking forward to the rest.
atb

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 08:47:29 AM »
https://portmahomackgolfclub.com/

While in the area, I would also recommend visiting the Tarbat Discovery Centre, the best "local" museum I have seen in the Highlands.

https://www.tarbat-discovery.co.uk/
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 01:05:50 PM by David_Tepper »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 01:41:48 PM »
Great start Garland. Looking forward to the rest.
atb

Elsewhere, Dai has expressed an interest in playing Tarbat over playing Royal Dornoch.

Some friends and I had a not to dissimilar experience at Royal Dornoch a while back. Four Ronald McDonald look-a-likes chatting loudly about all the courses they's already played on their 'tour of Ireland and Scotland' teed off a few groups in front of us. As golfers they were so poor as to be a safety hazard and as to etiquette and manners, well they simply didn't have any. After only a few holes there was a 6 hole gap in front of them and a long queue of disgruntled folk waiting on every tee and fairway behind. Now I love the course at Royal Dornoch, but if this is the kind of thing you can expect there, and from some enquiries it didn't seem that unusual, then the next time I'm up that far north I'll ignore Royal Dornoch and spend my time and £$£$ at Brora, Tain, Golspie, Fortrose and Portmahomack instead (Skibo not being appropriate without funding from a lottery win).

Garland Bayley

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 01:45:39 PM »
https://portmahomackgolfclub.com/

While in the area, I would also recommend visiting the Tarbat Discovery Centre, the best "local" museum I have seen in the Highlands.

https://www.tarbat-discovery.co.uk/

David has recommended Tarbat as a fun place to play.

In the Dornoch area, Goslpie & Tain are well worth playing and the 9-hole Tarbat course (at Portmahomack) is also fun.

Although not fun enough to play again.  ???

I have played the 9-hole Tarbat course once. Your are correct that it is not a links, although several of the holes do have links-like terrain, similar to some of the holes at Tain. It is certainly worth playing once, but I would not drive pass Tain to play it again.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 01:48:06 PM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 01:54:14 PM »
Former Tom Doak intern and shaper Philippe Binette disagrees with David on whether Tarbat is a links.

Yes, I've played Tarbat... I don't agree with David Tepper though, Tarbat is build on sand, not close to the sea but so is Lytham and St.Annes, so I call it a links

It features some of the coolest short par 4 I've ever seen...

I thought Tain was not that great, couple of cool holes, one awesome green

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2022, 02:16:07 PM »
First hole.

Tarbat2019_1 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Eric Terhorst
"We played it on a beautiful breezy morning perfect for golf, and after being told by two older gentlemen on the first tee that “it’s always like this in Scotland” we paid our 20 GBP fee at the honor box, and trailed after them.  It was thoroughly enjoyable."

"The 284-yd first hole starts off into the roly-poly part of the property and features a narrow landing area for a 4- or 5-iron tee shot, ..."

IMG_8879Tarbat1 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Roly-poly

IMG_8880Tarbat1 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

IMG_8881Tarbat1 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

"... then a blind second shot into a narrow green."

IMG_2551 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

JohnVDB's picture better allows you to see the top of the flag stick with the yellow flag than mine does in the following picture .

IMG_8882Tarbat1 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Two pictures of the green. First is JohnVDB's.

IMG_2553 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

IMG_8883Tarbat1 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Eric Terhorst was there again in 2023, and provided me with this closer look at the first green (eighth green in 2009).

Tarbat 1 by Eric Terhorst, on Flickr

I would note that apparently Eric played the blue tees as the yardages he cites are longer than the ones I played. Also, he hits it farther than I do as my 3-wood tee shot left me short of the fairway bunkers for the blind approach to the green.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 04:51:55 PM by Garland Bayley »

David_Tepper

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 03:05:29 PM »
Garland -

In the interest of full disclosure, note that I was agreeing with the prior comments of the late Mr. Goodale regarding Tarbat, who said:

"Oh yeah, and I don't think it is a links, BTW."

I also commented that several of the holes at Tarbat had links-like terrain. ;)

DT

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2022, 03:37:50 PM »
Thanks Garland.  I had this on my list for June 2020 and then the world turned upside down. One day.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Garland Bayley

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2022, 05:11:43 PM »
The first hole has some accolades from the website.

Kyle Franz
https://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/kyle-franz-june-2011/

Answered "Which ten holes in the British Isles do you wish you could say you designed that aren't well known?"

He gave a list of 40 holes that he said he couldn't pare down any further. The first at Tarbat appeared as the twelfth hole in the list.

Also in listing favorite short par fours in the north of Scotland, Niall C puts the 1st at Tarbat in his list.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 05:21:00 PM »
Second hole

Tarbat2019_2 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Eric Terhorst
"The 335-yd 2nd plays back toward the clubhouse, and with its wide-open fairway and playing downwind was nearly drivable"

IMG_8884Tarbat2 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

"a couple of well-placed little bunkers make it more interesting."

IMG_8885Tarbat2 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

IMG_8886Tarbat2 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

I found the interest by placing my approach in the right greenside bunker.  :-\
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 05:23:50 PM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2022, 06:12:09 PM »
Third hole

Tarbat2019_3 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

With Golf Course Road to the left of this hole, it offers enhanced risk for a lefty whose tee ball most often moves left with a reward of having a view of the green, which is blocked out of view for the player on the right side. As can be seen from the tee, the drive is over the second green with its bunkers towards the fairway with a large dune to the right.

IMG_8887Tarbat3 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

In my effort not to go left off of the tee, of course I went right. This allowed me to get pictures showing the blindness of any approach from there. You can be in the fairway on the right with no view of the green.

IMG_8888Tarbat3 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Moving to the left some starts to bring the green into view in the distance.

IMG_8889Tarbat3 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Eric Terhorst
"Holes 3 and 4 play across the non-descript farmland but #3 is a challenging uphill 400-yarder terminating near the top of the hill, with a neat false-fronted green."

IMG_8891Tarbat3 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

The green does seem to offer some options on how one might approach it.

« Last Edit: January 20, 2022, 06:58:29 PM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2022, 07:18:32 PM »
Fourth hole.

Tarbat2019_4 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Clearly a short par 4. At least from the daily tees. The competition tees can be seen another 50 yards back from the daily tees.

During and before my participation in the Buda competition at Brora and Golspie, I stayed at Jon Wigget's Brahan Golf Club where his wife runs a bed and breakfast. To get to Tarbat, Jon ran me into the Dingwall railroad station where I took the train to Tain and caught one of the few buses to Portmahomack. With the delay in changing from train to bus in Tain, I arrived at Tarbat Golf Club after the daily morning group of men had started their game (at my old club we called the analogous group, the codgers, and they regularly had 12 to 20 men show up every week day for game) so when I finished they were congregated in the club house with the hot topic being who had eagled the fourth hole or who came closest to doing so.  ;D

The big dune from the third hole is to the right when teeing off on the fourth hole, but certainly is not in play from the daily tees.

IMG_8892Tarbat4 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Although Eric described the land of the fourth hole to be "non-descript farmland" there seems to be some dunal undulation, James Boon would disagree with Eric.

4. Tarbat (Portmahomack)
A little out of the way, but anyone passing Tain on the way to Dornoch should check it out. 4, 6, 7 and 8 all have great links ground movement!

Perhaps since the green is located nearer the second fairway, most all tee balls will fly right over the ground movement.

IMG_8893Tarbat4 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Therefore, the most strokes will be taken on the flatter land near the green.

IMG_8894Tarbat4 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 07:21:22 PM by Garland Bayley »

Anthony Gray

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2022, 07:30:42 PM »

Excellent thread Garland. This is how it’s done.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2022, 11:34:55 PM »
Thanks Anthony,

I'm just trying to motivate David Tepper to play it some morning and then have lunch at the Oyster Catcher.  ;D After that he can revisit his beloved Tarbat Discovery Center. If the NYSE will open on the day he is there he will have to skip an afternoon round at Tain.

JohnVDB

« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2022, 12:14:35 PM »
I played Portmahomack in 2020 and loved it.  It really is a fun short course with some quirky holes.  Since the clubhouse was closed and ther was nobody around to tell me otherwise, I played the medal tees. They are different than the everyday tees and on some holes significantly different from each other to make for an interesting 18.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2022, 12:50:03 PM »
Fifth hole

Tarbat2019_5 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Eric Terhorst
"The terrific 5th is a strong uphill 180-yard par 3, requiring an aerial approach over two fearsome bunkers in front—good practice for the 2nd and 6th at Dornoch!"

IMG_8895Tarbat5 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

IMG_8896Tarbat5 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

JohnVDB's picture from short of the 5th green.

IMG_2558 by John VDB, on Flickr

Eric Terhorst was there again in 2023, and provides this picture of the "two fearsome bunkers in front."

Tarbat 5 by Eric Terhorst, on Flickr

IMG_8897Tarbat5 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 03:54:20 PM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #18 on: January 19, 2022, 01:37:26 PM »
Sixth hole

Tarbat2019_6 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Eric Terhorst
"The 389yd 6th begins the journey into quirk, with this tee shot that features trouble left and blindness right:"

Eric wrote that in 2009, and now he supplies the picture with this picture from the tee.

Tarbat 6 by Eric Terhorst, on Flickr

JohnVDB captures the view from the back tees.

IMG_2559 by John VDB , on Flickr

IMG_8899Tarbat6 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

With that view from the tee, it was obvious that if my tee shot turned left like usual, it would land headed downhill and run to no mans land. Once again, I was forced to aim as far right as I felt was safe doing.

Here is a closer view of the severity of the side slope in the fairway.

IMG_8900Tarbat6 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Eric Terhorst
"If you don’t get it post the marker post (about 150yds out) then you’ve got this view"

IMG_8901Tarbat6 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

The hole brings to mind John Kirk's "Unified Theory of Golfing Joy" (paraphrase) "The length of time between the stroke and the observation of the result is crucial to the enjoyment of the shot."

The theory explains the excitement in blind shots, the time watching a putt or shot trundle down a hill to its ultimate finish. Whether you are faced with the blind shot shown above, or watching a running shot trundle down the hill from playing a stroke with the green in view as below, John has it covered.

IMG_8902Tarbat6 by John VDB, on Flickr

Eric Terhorst
"a tiny green that has trouble behind, OB left, and a couple of little bunkers"

IMG_8903Tarbat6 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

IMG_2560 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Finally, I think Niall was certainly thinking of this hole along with others at Tarbat when he wrote:

Tarbat which has some holes that are more Painswick than Painswick if you know what I mean.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 04:48:25 PM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2022, 02:27:35 PM »
Seventh hole (and sixteenth)

Tarbat2019_7 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Eric Terhorst
"#7 is a par 3 played from two different tees—this illustrates view from the blind short tee"

IMG_8905Tarbat7 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

IMG_2561 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Once again, the yellow flags out the day JohnVDB played gives more visibility for the flag stick.

Eric Terhorst
"The 7th green"

IMG_8906Tarbat7 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

It would appear that Eric did not realize there were two golf holes at this point in the round. I first went to sixteen. From sixteen, I figured out that my best strategy would be to go to seven and play it, because walking from seven green to sixteen tee would be much much easier than walking from sixteen green to seven tee. As it turned out, after finishing sixteen, I found that its green was nearby the eighth tee. The view from the sixteenth tee.

IMG_8907Tarbat16 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

And the sixteenth green.

IMG_8909Tarbat16 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

I found both holes to be very enjoyable par threes while faring better on the longer sixteenth than on the shorter seventh.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2023, 12:20:00 PM by Garland Bayley »

David_Tepper

« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2022, 03:57:57 PM »
Garland -

Nice pics. Well done.

While I appreciate the effort, I certainly hope you have more important thing to worry about than my opinion of any given golf course. ;)

DT

p.s. I am not that big a fan of the Oystercatcher either. But then again, I have only been there once. ;)

Garland Bayley

« Reply #21 on: January 19, 2022, 04:31:20 PM »
Eighth hole

Tarbat2019_8 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

I saw the wild dunes of this hole from the bus riding into town, so I was chomping at the bit before I even got to the club house.

Eric Terhorst
"The 300yd par 4 8th is one of those short two-shottters that begs to be played over and over again—first you get to negotiate the roller coaster action of the fairway"

JohnVDB's  view  is below.

IMG_2564 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

IMG_8911Tarbat8 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

IMG_8914Tarbat8 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

My second picture looks back at the approaching fairway from the green.

Eric Terhorst
"Then you have a terrifying shot to the 8th green that falls off on all sides, and is guarded by a couple more Dornoch-style bunkers"

Tarbat 8 by Eric Terhorst, on Flickr

Tarbat 8a by Eric Terhorst, on Flickr

IMG_8912Tarbat8 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

JohnVDB's picture.

IMG_2566 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

IMG_8913Tarbat8 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

After returning to Jon Wigget's place that night, I told him that I thought the eighth hole belonged in one of those books that list 500 golf holes you need to see before you die.

Thanks Eric,  I love fairways like the 8th to a much greater extent than than any degree architectural merit they may have.  The Fun of hitting into 'no mans land' and wondering what sort of stance you'll get. Wonderful.

The observant reader will have notice that I got a nice lie shown in the picture above from which I put the ball close enough for a chance for a three. Unfortunately, with all that dizzying ground movement around my read of the putt was for it to break exactly the opposite direction of the break it took.

And the eighth ... with its table top green was the other outstanding memory I had of the course. 
You had a much warmer brighter day than I did at Tarbat.  Thanks for the pictures.  It brought back some nice memories, and it confirmed my recollection that there was some good golf there--especially with the wind as it was.

Niall C puts the 8th at Tarbat in his list of favorite short par fours in the north of Scotland.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2023, 04:27:01 PM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2022, 05:07:51 PM »
Ninth hole

Tarbat2019_9 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Eric Terhorst
"The 9th is a beautiful and interesting home hole, bordered by a schoolyard and cemetery left"

IMG_8916PortmahomackChurchYard by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

That's not the bordering cemetery! That's the churchyard across the wall behind the ninth tee!  ;D

IMG_2569 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

JohnVDB's picture captures a bit of the cemetery. The white post is at the corner of the cemetery wall.

IMG_2571 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

JohnVDB captured the school at the left edge with its wall around the yard in this one. Also shown is the swale through the fairway.

Unfortunately, I didn't get the cemetery in my photos, but it also can be seen in the Google Earth shot above.

Eric Terhorst
"The narrow green has a swale in front and falls off in back, again providing an opportunity to practice your Dornoch recovery shots before you drive up to “The Big Course”."

IMG_8919Tarbat9 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

IMG_8920Tarbat9 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

Yes, I did hole that putt from the fringe, but my tee shot curved left putting me in deep trouble, so the putt was not for a three. Come to think of it, right handers who turn their tee shots right might like this course even more than this lefty hacker.  :)

IMG_2550 by Garland Bayley, on Flickr

JohnVDB captured a picture of how the green falls off in the back too.

David Owen in a Golf Digest article about playing unknown Scottish golf courses based on local recommendations:
“Tarbat Golf Club, in the microscopic village of Portmahomack was founded in 1909. It's a links course on a sandy promontory on the southern side of Dornoch Firth, and on a clear day you can look across the water to Dornoch. The course has 10 holes. To make an 18-hole round you play eight of the holes twice and substitute a different par 3, a 155-yarder, for the 125-yard seventh on your second time around. I played with members, both of whom worked in the oil industry. They were competing in a club tournament but had no expectation of winning any prizes and so didn't mind having me along. My favorite hole – in fact, one of my favorite holes of the trip – was the ninth/18th, a short par 4 that plays either around, over, alongside or into a cemetery, depending on the shape and length of your tee shot.”
http://03547c3.netsolhost.com/WordPress/wp-content/uploads/2012/02/Back-Roads-Scotland1.pdf

Niall C puts the 9th at Tarbat in his list of favorite short par fours in the north of Scotland.
The astute reader will have noticed that Niall chose three holes from the nine hole course at Portmahomack. Since Niall was a member at Moray, Moray is his favorite course in the north of Scotland, and he only chose three holes from Moray Old's 18 holes as being amongst his favorite short par fours in the north of Scotland one could conclude that playing Tarbat is a thing one must do.

Philippe Binette of http://binettegolfarchitecture.blogspot.com/ in listing the most interesting/distinctive non-golf features on a golf course
2) The cemetery and school yard along the left of the 9th at Tarbat Golf Club. Actually, with the wind coming from the water, you might have to play over the graveyard to reach the fairway.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2022, 12:11:36 PM by Garland Bayley »

Garland Bayley

« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2022, 05:16:28 PM »
... I look forward to seeing equally splendid photo-tours of Wick, Portmahomack and no doubt a few other courses popping up on the screen. And all the better for seeing them too. Just goes to show that golf is alive and kicking in the most rural areas of the UK and it doesn't have to be of the lush, watered grass, groomed rough kind.

Dai,

I can't help you with Wick and "a few others", but I hope this met your quality standards.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #24 on: January 19, 2022, 05:30:21 PM »
A magnificent thread Garland. Well done.
Hopefully it will encourage posters herein and maybe lurkers as well to visit Portmahomac/Tarbat GC and other courses of a similar ilk.
By the way, and as you were travelling by bus you wouldn’t unfortunately have been able to experience it yourself, but if you drive past the golf course out along the peninsula you’ll come to Tarbat Ness lighthouse. From there you can look one way across to Dornoch and further north plus the other way look across the Firth towards Nairn and the east. Memories come to mind of earlier times when travel by all including golfers was simpler if not necessarily safer by boat than by land.
Atb

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back