News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ronald Montesano

Neil Regan, RIP
« on: November 29, 2021, 03:18:34 PM »
Leaves a void.
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

BCrosby

Re: Neil Regan, RIP
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2021, 03:22:52 PM »
My God. Details?

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2021, 03:24:24 PM »
I just saw an Instagram post from Gil Hanse, on the passing of a Neil Regan from Winged Foot. Is this our Neil?
Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

JESII

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2021, 03:28:27 PM »
Presumably, but maybe would have been good to confirm before posting?

MCirba

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2021, 03:41:13 PM »
It is our Neil, sadly.   :'(

"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

mike_malone

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2021, 03:56:03 PM »
Very sad. Will miss our conversations. Defined “ gentleman “.
AKA Mayday

Ash Towe

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2021, 04:08:45 PM »
Incredibly sad news.

Neil was a wonderful man. The epitome of generosity.

Condolences to his family.

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2021, 04:12:25 PM »
Neil was a great guy, a class act and a true gentleman.  I enjoyed our time on the course and the "challenge putts" that he would come up with.   Rest in peace, my friend.

PThomas

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2021, 04:26:04 PM »
a very nice man..my condolences to his family
197 played, only 3 to go!!

David Jones

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2021, 04:45:36 PM »
I was lucky enough to play with Neil at Merion a couple of years ago - I have never seen long putting like it!

We kept up by email after that round and he was clearly a very thoughtful and kind man. Sad news.

Steve Lapper

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2021, 04:54:14 PM »
We've lost a great one :'( :'(

Neil was a wonderful person and good friend.

He was a kind and generous soul, with a big, big heart. His brain was equally as big as his heart.

He brought his infectious baritone laugh to almost every situation, from the first tee to the dining room table. Neil's warm personality and presence was always felt....and throughly enjoyed. Many a meal went deep into the evening with Regan stories and ripostes.

His love for the game and its architecture was only matched by his desire to enjoy every bit of it. Neil didn't know frustration with a club in his hands, only the glee of having a putter in his hands from 150+yds out. He had a solid and impressive game at every part of his life, yet it was along the hollowed ground that he excelled and truly mastered.

His fondness for all things Winged Foot was unparalleled. He was one with practically every inch of its hollowed ground. Yes, Neil was the club's historian, but first most he was the club's #1 student. His thirst for learning exceeded his interest in its past.

Neil befriended most everyone in his path. From the newest member of the grounds crew to the club's oldest employee, he had a smile and greeting for everyone.

A playing season in our area always started with a 10 club carry anywhere we could, rich with conversation and creative shotmaking. I can't recall the last time we ever kept score, save for the 1.5* shirts won on famed putting challenges. He loved golf for all the right reasons, never confusing it with any part of any misplaced motives.

Today is a very, very sad day. It will be hard to imagine a season without him.

Rest in Peace my friend. You will be missed by many.

* a story for another day...maybe one where his close friends honor him on the West's 1st or 18th greens.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2021, 05:00:21 PM by Steve Lapper »
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Ian Andrew

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2021, 05:39:57 PM »

I can't think of a better way of saying how I feel.

We maintained a regular correspondence.
I saw him whenever I could when I was in NYC.
I'm very sad today. Sad for all his close friends too.
-

Michael Moore

« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2021, 06:11:31 PM »
I was fortunate to have one last encounter with Neil at Winged Foot East on October 16. With typical generosity he invited me to arrive early and get some lunch without him. He showed up with a one-legged golf bag and a wide smile. I played the first few holes in one under, stumbled badly on the last six, and it was hard to tell whether he was rooting for me or hoping that Winged Foot would repeatedly kick me in the nuts. Did he talk the whole way round and ask me to hit an assortment of impossible sixty-footers? Of course he did, but he talked about many more things than the history of Winged Foot, and the putts were at times as interesting as the conversation.

On the fourteenth hole, facing a difficult pin, I finally agreed to putt from 110 yards. His face lit up and he told me aim it at the edge of the right bunker and to swing as hard as I would with a wedge. When it just rolled over the corner to fifteen feet, he reacted as though I had made an ace.

After the round he held court in the grill room. I try to keep a level head when it comes to golf course architecture and history, but it was hard to after seeing those magnificent greens. As Neil got more and more into his explanation of what he and Gil Hanse had accomplished, the research they had conducted, and the details they had insisted upon, my eyes grew wide. The next time you are admiring an enormous and perfect green at Winged Foot, think of our friend.

The next day at Sunningdale I was handed Neil’s Ping on the first green. After the round I called him, told him that his caddie had given away his putter, and that I would return it in exchange for a round on Winged Foot West. He was not amused, and you could tell that for him this was like missing a limb or a child. I brought it back to the locker room, gave it to the attendant, and watched as he threw it to another attendant on the second floor. It was a funny image that I will always remember - his beloved putter flying through his beloved club.

Get into the habit of mailing a handwritten thank-you note to your host. I sent one to Neil and he was so delighted that he called me from the road a few days later. We talked about golf courses and about how much he wanted to come to Maine and play Prouts Neck. When the topic turned to Sleepy Hollow, I was astonished at the level of his involvement and understanding, and his deep relationships with all of the principals. We talked about mountain climbing and how I was almost done with the tallest in New Hampshire. He countered with a harrowing tale of a very cold night on Mount Washington. Then he told me that he had watched his mentor perish in the Himalayas in 1980! Tonight, I wish in vain for just one more dinner, to see how many stories he could spin off of that one.
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Joe Bausch

« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2021, 06:35:07 PM »
Heaven just got a great new member.
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Joe Hancock

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2021, 06:51:43 PM »

I can't think of a better way of saying how I feel.

We maintained a regular correspondence.
I saw him whenever I could when I was in NYC.
I'm very sad today. Sad for all his close friends too.

The same. As much as I’ll miss his intellect on golf, I’ll miss his unprovoked texts with Monty Python quotes and bits even more….he loved to laugh, and I’ll miss him.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2021, 06:53:38 PM »
On a not-golf note, Neil and I attended the funeral of a highly decorated Navy SEAL in October, 2021 in Philadelphia. It was a crossing of prior worlds that brought us to sit with one another at that funeral. Our friend was working as a contractor/trainer in Qatar, and died suddenly (not in the field of battle). It was a hugely impactful event for both of us and we talked at least two or three times after the funeral about attending the burial at Arlington National Cemetery. Military burials at Arlington are backed up six months. Our game plan was to attend the burial in the Spring of 2022, play a National Links Trust course in DC, and play the United States Naval Academy Golf Course to see their recent renovation.

Obviously today's text from Dr Gene was a complete shocker.

I have literally been half way around the world with Neil. Sure the big ones stand out, but Neil played Mohansic Golf Course (public muni in Westchester County) with the same passion as Cypress Point. Some memorable moments:

Sand Hills with many friends from GCA:

Hosting Mr Moore, my son, and me at his beloved Cashen Course at Ballybunion. That trip was literally a 7 year planning process:

My son serves our beautiful country in the US Navy. Neil appreciated my son's service, and gave Dylan constant access to his beloved Winged Foot GC:

Words can't describe my appreciation for Neil's generosity.

Requiescat in Pace
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2021, 10:58:44 PM »
Such a wonderful guy and the members of Winged Foot should appreciate his efforts, especially with respect to the restoration of the East Course.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2021, 12:44:35 AM »
Peace & love

Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2021, 09:58:24 AM »
Thanks to all of you.

We could all hope to be so appreciated.

I wish I had met the man.

Dan
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

PCCraig

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2021, 10:10:14 AM »
I never met Neil personally, but in listening to interviews with him it was clear he was the definition of a gentleman and will be sorely missed.

Rest in peace, Neil.
H.P.S.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2021, 10:27:37 AM »
Geoff Shackelford's comments with some videos, including a 150y putt!

https://www.geoffshackelford.com/homepage/2021/11/29/rip-neil-regan
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

SL_Solow

« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2021, 10:35:43 AM »
I was lucky to know him and experience a few challenge putts.  we are diminished by his passing

Dan Kelly

« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2021, 10:44:54 AM »
I was lucky to know him and experience a few challenge putts.  we are diminished by his passing

Sounds as though there ought to be a Neil Regan Challenge Putts Classic at Winged Foot.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Steve Lapper

« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2021, 11:41:06 AM »

Sounds as though there ought to be a Neil Regan Challenge Putts Classic at Winged Foot.

FWIW, A few of us from the NY/NJ Metropolitan area who were close with Neil are working on a future Challenge Putt tribute to Neil. Ideally it would take place early next season on either the 1st or 18th greens of the famed West Course. Stay tuned.
The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking."--John Kenneth Galbraith

Mike Hendren

« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2021, 11:47:30 AM »
I did not know Neil but his long putting escapades at Winged Foot are legendary.  For those of you who mourn his passing I hope you will be overwhelmed by fond memories of time spent with him

Grace and Peace.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back