News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ran Morrissett

Feature Interview with Matt Krug on Eagle Springs
« on: October 10, 2021, 08:57:41 AM »
https://golfclubatlas.com/feature-interview/feature-interview-with-matt-krug/

My brother who lives in Wisconsin raves about a 9-holer called Eagle Springs Golf Resort in Eagle, a small village nestled in the Kettle Moraine State Forest 45 minutes southwest of Milwaukee. This past June, the infamous Mike Dutton and his brother toured the Midwest and incorporated his usual bushelful of 9-holers, including Eagle Springs. Mike met Anne and Matt Krug, the course's new owners, and the result is this month's Feature Interview with Matt.

Eagle Springs lays claim to being the oldest course in Wisconsin, being established in 1893. A.G. Spaulding, the famous sporting goods purveyor, designed the first two holes, the pictures of which make me wonder what other courses get off to a more rousing start! Spaulding turned over the construction of the remaining holes to locals and the result, by all accounts, is a must-see for design aficionados. Matt points out some of his other favorite holes/features, including the Pit of Despair at 4 and the enormous backstop at 7. Career architects tend to repeat themselves, be it after a few courses or many, but a course built by locals seems destined to be a one-off. So it is at Eagle Springs.

The ‘hit it or else’ 2nd. (photo by Patrick Koenig)

It is abundantly clear that the Krugs will be good custodians. Matt and Anne support those who have long supported the club, especially golf leagues. They have plans to improve the infrastructure and maintenance side and hopefully, add cottages. There are no present plans to extend this par 35 course beyond 2,814 yards, either. This is great - the world has enough long courses. Matt loves welcoming hickory golfers and the ever growing number of golfers who have reverted to playing some with a persimmon driver (like me!).

Matt is a surprisingly topical interviewee. Why? Because his primary job is that of a sports psychologist. He shares with us his views on playing under pressure, and it doesn't get more intense than the recently completed Ryder Cup at Whistling Straits about 100 miles northeast from Eagle Springs.

Eagle Springs was named as one of the world's top 50 9-hole courses by GOLF Magazine last year. I haven't been but am keen to in 2022. What more do you want than some world-class holes/features, on a course that is family-owned and operated, and that takes a little over an hour to play? The posted green fee for autumn play? $18 for walkers for 9-holes.

In short, Eagle Springs seems the kind of place we should all enjoy, embrace - and wholeheartedly support. Nothing beats affordable, great golf but this time, those of us who live in North America don’t have to fly across the pond to experience it.

Best,
« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 01:07:40 PM by Ran Morrissett »

John Morrissett

Re: Feature Interview with Matt Krug on Eagle Springs
« Reply #1 on: October 11, 2021, 05:28:52 PM »
Great interview, great story, and great course.  I'm embarrassed to admit that I lived in Wisconsin for 17 years before first playing Eagle Springs last year.  It's such a cool course and place, and it's reassuring to know it's in thoughtful and appreciative hands.

I'm especially glad to read Matt's fondness for the 4th hole - terrific greensite and wild green.  Eagle Springs is much more than a one-hole course.  While the 2nd is truly a special hole (and, as Matt points out, a very small target, esp. for a hit-it-or-else hole; my friend and I estimated it to be 2500 square feet).  The 1st and 4th are great holes, and the others all have something to them (as seen on the 7th).

Jeff Schley

« Reply #2 on: October 11, 2021, 11:47:38 PM »
Thanks Ran and John. If 2 Morrissett's are recommending this it means I have missed out being close to Chicago.  Put it on my to do list next summer. 8)
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

V_Halyard

« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2021, 01:52:52 PM »
Nice work John and Bill's Brother. Eagle Springs is a geologic and philosophical treasure.
"It's a tiny little ball that doesn't even move... how hard could it be?"  I will walk and carry 'til I can't... or look (really) stupid.

Andy Johnson

« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2021, 04:14:52 PM »
Eagle Springs is a wonderful place and I expect the Krug's to take wonderful care of it. It has 4 holes that are really worth seeing and anyone in the Chicagoland and Milwaukee area should make the trek to see it ASAP.

Now if we could get photos I took credited in the interview that would be wonderful.

JC Jones

« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2021, 05:41:21 PM »
Eagle Springs is a wonderful place and I expect the Krug's to take wonderful care of it. It has 4 holes that are really worth seeing and anyone in the Chicagoland and Milwaukee area should make the trek to see it ASAP.

Now if we could get photos I took credited in the interview that would be wonderful.

Do the photos belong to you or the owner of the course?
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2021, 09:19:30 AM »
Ran,
Thanks for this interview.

I visited Eagle Springs earlier this year. I didn't know about the alternate second hole, but that probably wouldn't have made much difference to me. Trying to get up and down on the volcano green was an experience.....

A couple more photos of the first. Loved the wildness of this starter.
IMG_5958 by john mayhugh, on Flickr
IMG_5959 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

A side view of the 4th green.
IMG_5965 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

Here's the 6th green. The trough that you see in front is present through most of the fairway, making for some interesting lies. Presentation would be more interesting if that rough in front could be nearer to fairway height.
IMG_5968 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

A closer look at the 7th green. Even though the hill backstop is a tempting target, we didn't find that tee shots fired into it rebounded very much.
IMG_5971 by john mayhugh, on Flickr

As the owners look to increase traffic, firming the course up should be a high priority. Those cool ground contours were pretty soft which unfortunately meant shot options were limited. The 3rd and 5th also need real improvement, I think.

I'm really glad I saw the course and would like to visit again.

MCirba

« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2021, 08:51:44 AM »
I'm pretty sure I could live happily playing cool, old nine-hole courses the rest of my life.  Eagle Springs looks to be just another reason I need to get back to Wisconsin in the next few years.
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Rees Milikin

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2021, 07:29:17 PM »
Thanks Ran. This place holds a special place for me since it's 5 minutes away from my in-laws house. I found out about this course based on one post someone made a long long time ago about a supposed volcano hole and to my surprise, it was better than I could have ever imagined. Holes 1, 2, 4, 6 & 7 are the highlights. However, sitting around with the locals at the clubhouse & pavilion make the experience even better.

Anyone who happens to be driving anywhere near here should stop and check it out.

Joe Bausch

« Reply #9 on: May 06, 2024, 10:52:29 AM »
I was driving near Eagle, WI, last week and I did stop in to Eagle Springs. And I'm glad I did. The place makes me smile, perhaps even giggle!

It was so much fun.

Here is how my eyes and iPhone camera saw the course:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/EagleSprings/index.html
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back