News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Suffolk Sojourn: THORPENESS GC New
« on: August 30, 2021, 10:11:40 AM »

An unusual village, Thorpeness was a small fishing hamlet whose entire area and surrounds for many miles was bought by wealthy railroad magnate, GS Ogilvie. Oglivie developed some of his large holdings as a holiday village complete with several holiday homes for guests and a country club which included a course, pool, tennis courts etc. Most of the buildings are made to look old, but upon scrutiny the clever use of concrete dispels the illusion. The village is seaside, but it faces inland around the weir come man-made lake. Perhaps the most famous building of this stage set community is the House in the Clouds (represented in the club logo). This was a water tank disguised as house with the recently restored mill adjacent. It too is not what it seems…the guts of the building is made of steel. When water mains were installed in the village the water tank was converted into a games room and eventually into house.

Essentially treated as a frontline during WWII, the beach was heavily fortified. The village remained in the Ogilvie family until 1972 when GS’s grandson died. To pay for the death duties the immense land holding was broken up and sold; this included the golf course.

Nine holes were built in 1922 by James Braid and increased to 18 holes the following year. Less than a mile from the beach, Thorpeness is a mix of gorse, heath pine and silver birch trees. With a hotel on site, Thorpeness is a popular destination and exudes an interesting mix of private club ambience and the squawks of society golf.

The opening hole offers an accurate picture of what to expect, a good course which isn't quite wide enough to accomodate the firm conditions. 

A longish par three, the 2nd takes us back toward the house/hotel.

The opening two holes do feel a bit odd when we see the 3rd tee next to the house/hotel.  Regardless, this is an exceptional hole which needs width to shine its corners.

A longish downhill second to a severe green with virtually no bail-out room is asking quite a bit of holiday makers.  That is our man Spangles trying his luck.

The green agrees with the terrain and falls heavily toward the back left.

#4.

The pop up frog eye and slit style bunkers are very common sights at Thorpeness. Not necessarily attractive, but they do earn one's respect.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 09:38:23 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

Re: Suffolk Sojourn: THORPENESS GC 1-4
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2021, 01:14:05 PM »
Interesting start. Looking forward to seeing the rest.
Atb

Sean_A

Re: Suffolk Sojourn: THORPENESS GC 1-4 New
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 05:17:52 AM »
Thorpeness Tour Cont

Sort of a Thorpeness hole, the 5th is a bit like the opener. The left side is doom.

An interesting hole, the 6th seemingly moves gently left over the brow of a hill, but the slope is much more than appearances suggest. If trying to carry the hill, the drive needs to be long enough to carry the flat or there is a real risk of losing the egg. Below is the approach from the top of the rise.

A very parkland hole follows in #7. Parkland it may be, but this is a very good short hole.

We cross the road for #s 8-15. A longish par 4, however, the left greenside bunker is the most interesting part of the hole.

A wonderful hole, the 9th legs left and once again, there is less room than it seems from the tee.

The green for this par 5 is attractive and troublesome.  Despite the rain, one can easily see the course was firm.

Uncharacteristic of Thorpeness, the short 10th is in open country.

A short par four, the 11th is a charmer.

The green runs hard away from the front right bunkers.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 11:08:13 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Sean_A

Re: Suffolk Sojourn: THORPENESS GC 1-11
« Reply #3 on: September 11, 2021, 01:02:10 PM »
Thorpeness Tour Cont

A modest length two-shotter, the 12th is one of the better holes at Thorpeness.

The course ticks over with the 13th, a fairly long  par 4 with two pot bunkers ready and able to cause grief if one misses their drive.

The par five 14th button hooks left in the last 75 yards of the hole...a design concept I don't favour. Although, the green location on its own is lovely.

A par 4 stretching over 400 yards, the 15th is incredibly narrow with a lone tree set just into the left rough...for some reason.  Yet another hole I dislike.

More to follow.

Ciao

Thomas Dai

Re: Suffolk Sojourn: THORPENESS GC 1-15
« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2021, 01:11:23 PM »
Like the look of the 11th. Appears to be a pretty fine hole.
Atb

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2021, 05:18:05 PM »
As I write the nation is listening to a tune that finishes with lyrics that could have been written for Thorpeness.

Wider still and wider[/size]Shall thy bounds be setGod who made thee mightyMake thee mightier yet

Hard to be sure but with a bit more playablitiy this has so much that's great, it could be really something. As it is, I really enjoyed it.[/size]
Let's make GCA grate again!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #6 on: September 11, 2021, 05:38:23 PM »
As I write the nation is listening to a tune that finishes with lyrics that could have been written for Thorpeness.

Wider still and widerShall thy bounds be setGod who made thee mightyMake thee mightier yet

Hard to be sure but with a bit more playablitiy this has so much that's great, it could be really something. As it is, I really enjoyed it.

Maybe your ‘nation’. I’m grooving out to Miss Winehouse. Tried to make me go to rehab. I say no, no, no!!! ;D
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Sean_A

Re: Suffolk Sojourn: THORPENESS GC 1-15 New
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2021, 06:00:37 AM »
Thorpeness Tour Cont

The 16th turns things a bit more positive with a longish par 3 over various varietals of gruesome vegetation.

An interesting short par 4 follows. As is often the case with steeply uphill tee shots, the hole doesn't look much off the tee, but it does pay to gain position for the approach.

At this point we mindlessly jumped on a tee which led us nowhere! It did occur to both of us that we should see the House in the Clouds.... Oh well, we played 20 holes. There is a tee beyond the trees to the rear of the 17th green which we eventually found. As can be seen from the photos of the approach and green, the club logo is half buried in trees. Therein lies the problem with Thorpeness, a good course partially spoiled by trees.  Its a great shame as the course was in good nick.

A look at the old 18th offers an idea of how open the property once was.

The hotel/club aspect for a house is done rather well. Locals and visitors seemed to mix quite well. There is a newer section of the house which is sunny and open combined with Braid's Bar...one of the best golf bars I have come across.

I must say, if not for the trees, there is nearly as much to like about Thorpeness as there is about Aldeburgh and Woodbridge. With 2, 3, 7, 9, 11 & 12 there are enough good and varied holes to keep the golfer engaged.  There is a slight hiccup with 14 & 15, but they aren't awful holes. Would I go back? Yep. Thorpeness makes for a good trip filler.  2021

Suffolk courses

Sacred 9
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,55859.msg1296356.html#msg1296356

Flempton
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,69788.msg1678711.html#msg1678711

Aldeburgh
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,70170.0.html

Woodbridge
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,70107.0.html

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 04, 2024, 11:13:12 AM by Sean_A »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back