News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Mayhugh

Park Mammoth Golf Club (KY) update
« on: July 27, 2021, 10:48:53 AM »
There was some discussion about this new course last year.
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,69152.msg1659887.html#msg1659887

McKellar #5 (summer 2021) features a really good article on the course, including a routing map.

A recent stop has me thinking they will not be able to open the entire course in 2021 as originally planned. The front nine is about fully grassed, though, and looking ready for some action. A few photos:

The second and fourth greens are separated by a 5,000 sq ft bunker. The second is 303 yards and downhill, but the angle of the green will make for some interesting approaches.
2 and 4 green by john mayhugh, on Flickr

The 11th green is the one I most wanted to see. At nearly 10,000 sq ft and not much over 100 yards from the tee, this green is intended to play like six different greens. The slopes didn't photograph very well in midday light, but there is a lot of interest here. The green is fronted by a small deep bunker and I can see some disappointing scores coming with front hole locations.

11 gr tee shot by john mayhugh, on Flickr

11 gr frt rt by john mayhugh, on Flickr
The 11th from the right.

11gr right by john mayhugh, on Flickr

The punchbowlish 18th is only 313 yards, with a few bunkers that will require thoughtful club selection. Should make for a fun finish.

18 tee by john mayhugh, on Flickr

In general, I like how the course isn't going to be over-bunkered, and the ones that are used should provide real interest. This especially makes sense as it's not likely to have a high maintenance budget. The photo of the 18th shows some of the grassing that still needs to happen, and they have only just started construction of a house. This course looks to be well worth the wait, though. It's going to be a lot of fun.

Brian Ross

Re: Park Mammoth Golf Club (KY) update
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2021, 12:35:23 PM »
John,

Really glad you were able to stop by and take a look around! You are correct that we will not be opening this year as originally planned though we do plan to finish grassing in the next 3 weeks, weather-permitting. The course will now open sometime between Memorial Day and July 4th 2022, though probably closer to the latter.

The clubhouse location has moved several times but all of that has now been finalized and construction should begin sometime later this fall/winter. We anticipate using a temporary clubhouse for the first part of 2022 while the permanent building is being completed. I will be back in town in September for a couple weeks to build a new putting green by the new clubhouse.
Time is but the stream I go a-fishing in.

http://www.rossgolfarchitects.com

Nick Church

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2021, 03:45:28 PM »
Thank you both for the updates.  Having graduated from college nearby, I really look forward to the area finally having a strong public golf option.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2021, 03:54:50 PM »
Brian,
Thanks for the update. I'll confess to trying a few putts out on the boomerang 8th. A bit slow right now, but promising!

Brian Ross

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2021, 10:31:08 AM »
Brian,
Thanks for the update. I'll confess to trying a few putts out on the boomerang 8th. A bit slow right now, but promising!

Good stuff, John! I spent some time doing the same back in June. Yes, the greens are still a bit too hairy to get a real feel for what's going to happen but I'm glad that the 8th is showing some promise. I spent a LOT of time massaging that one to make sure that you could get a putt from the front right up around the bunker to the left side and vice-versa (see the thread on impossible putts!).

Jason Thurman

« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2021, 10:44:03 AM »
I'm always appreciative of a Park Mammoth update. I prefer when those updates say the course will be open, like, today. But I'll stay patient in the meantime.

I expect to drive through at some point this fall, and may stop in to walk around and look at things firsthand.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

John Emerson

« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2021, 02:37:21 PM »
Brian,
Glad you were able to build a course in KY.  You may be the first to do so in close to 15 years.  The last course I can remember being built was in 05-06 (Heritage Hills Shepherdsville KY).  I am excited to see this when I return home for the holidays.  Can you email me the contact info for the superintendent?  I would like to reach out to him/her when I go back home.  You can email that info if you like jremer@udel.edu
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Tom_Doak

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2022, 10:36:46 PM »
I was driving south through Kentucky today, and stopped in to have a walk around the course and stretch my legs before six more hours in the car.

It’s a very nice set of greens.  The site is fairly small and steep at the margins, so the prospects were restricted, but it seemed they got a lot out of what they had to work with.

Is the 4th green based on the 5th at Crystal Downs?  It seemed vaguely similar.

Nick Church

« Reply #8 on: January 16, 2022, 08:51:56 AM »
Mr. Doak,

Curious if you noticed the wavy landforms on either side of the interstate between Park City and Bowling Green?  I assume it's due in part to the prevalent karst topography, but always wondered if it would lend itself to a golf course.

Brian Ross

« Reply #9 on: January 16, 2022, 12:24:44 PM »
I was driving south through Kentucky today, and stopped in to have a walk around the course and stretch my legs before six more hours in the car.

It’s a very nice set of greens.  The site is fairly small and steep at the margins, so the prospects were restricted, but it seemed they got a lot out of what they had to work with.

Is the 4th green based on the 5th at Crystal Downs?  It seemed vaguely similar.

Tom,

I'm really glad that you got a chance to see Park Mammoth yesterday and I appreciate the compliments, especially about the greens.

Regarding the 4th green, I, unfortunately, have never been to Crystal Downs so it couldn't have factored into my thought process. Colton has, so it's possible that it influenced him in some way, but I don't recall us ever bringing that green up in conversation. Probably just a lucky coincidence.

Brian Ross

« Reply #10 on: January 16, 2022, 12:50:13 PM »
Mr. Doak,

Curious if you noticed the wavy landforms on either side of the interstate between Park City and Bowling Green?  I assume it's due in part to the prevalent karst topography, but always wondered if it would lend itself to a golf course.

Nick, I have spent a lot of time driving that 25 mile stretch of highway over the past two years, daydreaming about building something in those wavy landforms you mentioned.

My general thought is that, for the most part, those waves are about 25-50% too big to build something great in. In many cases, if you were in the bottom of one wave, you wouldn't be able to see over the crest of the next wave, leaving a lot of blind shots to contend with when creating a routing. We had this same issue in places at Park Mammoth. Then, of course, there are the always prevalent sinkholes in many of those bottoms, LOTS of rock in the crests, and a lack of surface water (meaning your irrigation water would have to be pulled from beneath via wells and an artificial pond/lake created which, if you ask Olde Stone, isn't quite as simple as it sounds for some of the same reasons mentioned above).

The best land for golf that I have seen in that area is on some of the large farms on the north side of 31W as you get in closer to Bowling Green, where the waves are less extreme and a little more suited to golf. There's also a killer tract in the horseshoe of the Barren River just east of I-65 that would be a lot of fun, but golf is probably not the best and highest use for that property.

Nick Church

« Reply #11 on: January 16, 2022, 06:44:05 PM »
Thank you for the thorough explanation, Mr. Ross.  I'm looking forward to enjoying your course later this year. 

John Mayhugh

« Reply #12 on: January 17, 2022, 09:50:16 AM »

Really cool that Tom would stop by to see this course. I think it's going to be very popular.

Brian Ross

« Reply #13 on: April 09, 2022, 09:24:48 AM »
Park Mammoth Golf Club will officially open to the public on Thursday, April 28, 2022! You can make tee times online (up to 60 days in advance) at https://foreupsoftware.com/index.php/booking/21824/9036#/teetimes or by calling (270) 544-7642. Hope to see you all out there!

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #14 on: April 10, 2022, 11:04:55 AM »
I am headed down South to Alabama (Schoolmaster, Fighting Joe and 1 more) and Tennessee (Sewanee) golfing in a few weeks and I think I'll jump out of the car and play Mammoth Park on the way back.
Last 7:
Westbrook CC (OH), NCR CC South (OH), Fort Jackson Wildcat (SC), True Blue GC (SC), Pinewood CC (NC), Asheboro Muni (NC), Dye River Course (VA)

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #15 on: April 10, 2022, 11:17:03 AM »
Congrats, Brian! Grand Openings are always exciting.
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

MCirba

« Reply #16 on: April 10, 2022, 12:40:24 PM »
Seems like a very cool project.

Good luck, Brian!
"Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent" - Calvin Coolidge

https://cobbscreek.org/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back