News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ira Fishman

25 Wins
« on: August 02, 2020, 06:07:48 PM »
Last year, I offered even odds that no current player who already has not done so would equal Johnny Miller's win total. No one took the bet. When offered 3-1 for Charity, Jeff Warne accepted. Watching the tournament today, I renew the wager at 4-1. The wager has life cycle of when I reach 75 in 12 years.

Ira

Peter Flory

Re: 25 Wins
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 10:46:32 PM »
You're betting that Dustin Johnson (5th ranked player in the World) can't get 4 wins in the next 12 years? 

He has won pretty much every year, including this one.  Do you have some insider medical knowledge on him?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2020, 10:51:55 PM by Peter Flory »

V. Kmetz

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2020, 11:53:18 PM »
You're betting that Dustin Johnson (5th ranked player in the World) can't get 4 wins in the next 12 years? 

He has won pretty much every year, including this one.  Do you have some insider medical knowledge on him?

Yet still PF, if DJ were to be that player in say, 4 years time... and IF "loses" his bet...  the point is still made:  Such is the nature of today's elite competition that the worlds best players can't/don't accrue what the world's best did in the eras previous. One can say that the mettle of the last years' World Top 10 is not up to it or that the total competition is better and more diverse or that huge purses and revenue streams allow just a few victories to earn equal rewards with that only multiple winners could achieve of eras past.

And even if two or three more do as DJ may, gone it seems are the days when today's leaders win as much as Mickelson, Watson, Singh, Trevino, Miller and earlier still, Middlecoff, Casper, Demaret did when they were the World's best....not to mention the toffs of Woods, Snead, Nicklaus, Hogan, Nelson, Palmer...nearly gone are the days when a great player wins 3 or 4 times in a season.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2020, 06:19:44 AM by V. Kmetz »
"The tee shot must first be hit straight and long between a vast bunker on the left which whispers 'slice' in the player's ear, and a wilderness on the right which induces a hurried hook." -

Peter Flory

« Reply #3 on: August 03, 2020, 01:18:43 AM »
I don't really see a long term trend in win domination.  Vijay won 9 times in a season.  Tiger won 9 times in a season and 8 times in a season twice (the only player ever to win 8 or more in 3 separate seasons).  And we're still in the Tiger era given that he's the defending Champ in a major.

JT won 5 times in 2017. Jason Day and Jordan Spieth each won 5 times in 2015.  TW won 5 times in 2013. 

And Dustin has 11 wins in the last 4 years prior to this one.  The only season in which he did not get a win was his first one when he only played in a single event. 

It is possible that he might stop winning, but if so, it would probably be to injury. 

Jeff Schley

« Reply #4 on: August 03, 2020, 02:34:16 AM »
Last year, I offered even odds that no current player who already has not done so would equal Johnny Miller's win total. No one took the bet. When offered 3-1 for Charity, Jeff Warne accepted. Watching the tournament today, I renew the wager at 4-1. The wager has life cycle of when I reach 75 in 12 years.

Ira
Ira you are on! Can I get 76 years of age?  As the average life expectancy in the USA for a male is just over 76 years. I know you run 5 miles a day and do iron mans and only buy from Whole Foods (Paycheck) and farm to table meals. So you will blow past that no problem.

PM me the details.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 11:50:45 AM »
After Justin T won yesterday, they said he's 3rd after Tiger and Jack on youngest players to reach 13 wins.  I'm guessing he'll get to 25.

Greg Clark

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2020, 09:58:23 AM »
Winning 25 or more PGA events has always been a rare feat.  Only 25 players have done it.

Jeff Schley

« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2020, 01:29:19 AM »

Ira
Ira you are on! Can I get 76 years of age?  As the average life expectancy in the USA for a male is just over 76 years. I know you run 5 miles a day and do iron mans and only buy from Whole Foods (Paycheck) and farm to table meals. So you will blow past that no problem.

PM me the details.

Ira waiting on the PM.  ;D
- Steve Prefontaine

Ira Fishman

« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2020, 07:05:55 AM »
I was waiting for this post! I guess that I may have to figure out some charities soon.

Ira

Rob Marshall

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2020, 08:04:58 AM »

He hasn't won "pretty much" every year. He HAS won everyone of the 13 years he has been on tour. That's incredible.
If life gives you limes, make margaritas.” Jimmy Buffett

archie_struthers

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2020, 09:41:17 AM »
 ;D

Ira , glad to take the over but if you are giving 4-1 I only want ten years from today. Seems overly gratuitous at that

Wayne_Kozun

« Reply #11 on: September 08, 2020, 12:43:15 PM »
Does Dj get credited for winning the Tour Championship?  It was only a net win, not a gross win.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #12 on: September 08, 2020, 12:46:44 PM »
Does Dj get credited for winning the Tour Championship?  It was only a net win, not a gross win.

According to the [size=78%]TOUR web-site he does get credit, although you have a good point. He didn't shoot the [/size][size=0px]lowest[/size][size=78%] score.[/size]
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Kalen Braley

« Reply #13 on: September 08, 2020, 01:12:07 PM »
PGA Tour website shows him at 23. So yea, pretty sure he is getting to 25, especially since he's only 36 and has 10-15 more competitive years left...

https://www.pgatour.com/players/player.30925.dustin-johnson.html

Where do I sign up for the bet?  :D

Ira Fishman

« Reply #14 on: September 08, 2020, 03:47:34 PM »
Winning 25 or more PGA events has always been a rare feat.  Only 25 players have done it.

Yes, this was the point of the “bet”. It always has been difficult to win this many times, even if more difficult now than ever. DJ is simply a terrific player. I actually hope I lose the bet by him winning a couple of more Majors.

Ira

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #15 on: September 08, 2020, 07:18:31 PM »

He hasn't won "pretty much" every year. He HAS won everyone of the 13 years he has been on tour. That's incredible.

Still a few years away from catching the leaders though...

Casper 16
Nickalus / Palmer 17

jeffwarne

« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2020, 03:20:29 AM »

Ira

Can I get another bet at 4-1?
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ira Fishman

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2020, 10:12:12 AM »

Ira

Can I get another bet at 4-1?

Lol. Sure since proceeds of bet going to charity.

Ira

Pat Burke

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2020, 02:21:01 PM »
DJ has a big thing in his favor
An amazing ability to put foul ups and mistakes behind him and play well afterwards
A lot of players can be damaged by it but DJ just soldiers on

Whatever the reason, mentally he just moves on and plays.  So I can see him winning a decent number of events barring injuries

Those jet skis can fall at any time

Ira Fishman

« Reply #19 on: November 15, 2020, 01:55:37 PM »
Yes, I know that I need to pick my charities soon. Glad to almost have lost the wager.

Ira

Jeff Schley

« Reply #20 on: November 15, 2020, 01:56:26 PM »
Ira I was just searching for this thread a few minutes ago.))))))
Thanks Buddy. ;D
- Steve Prefontaine

jeffwarne

« Reply #21 on: November 15, 2020, 04:53:02 PM »
Yes, I know that I need to pick my charities soon. Glad to almost have lost the wager.

Ira

The winner(s) don't pick the charities? :)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ira Fishman

« Reply #22 on: November 15, 2020, 05:28:29 PM »

Ira

The winner(s) don't pick the charities? :)

I was born at night, but not last night.

Ira

archie_struthers

« Reply #23 on: November 15, 2020, 06:40:14 PM »
 8)

Ira , I'm down for $25-100 your choice. Quite sporting of you! 8)

We will get to 75 at approximately the same time....ouch

Jeff Schley

« Reply #24 on: February 16, 2021, 11:48:44 AM »

Ira
Ira,
How did this go for you.  Some happy charities I assume come year end.  Double if Dustin gets to 30?
- Steve Prefontaine

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back