News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Stephens

Re: Save Cavendish Golf Club
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2020, 05:37:14 AM »
Am I correct in believing that bunker work is being undertaken at Cavendish using the Ecobunker recycled artificial ‘turf’ system? If so curious to know a bit more in relation to Mack’ style bunkering.
Atb

Dai

I have seen the eco bunker method recently with a colleague of mine showing the site and close up photos of it being installed. its was used for the edging surrounds of the bunker - it looks good aesthetically and keep the maintenance costs down plus keep the uniform shape intact for many years.

However even it is reused from old hockey pitches surfaces mainly and I am not a fan of plastic being used on the golf course plus I have question marks whether it is a fire risk as I have seen golfers stub their cigarettes in the face of revetted bunkers before

Cheers
Ben

ward peyronnin

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2021, 04:59:35 PM »
Is there any update on the rebunkering? I just took the aerial tour and I rather liked what is there. Simple shapes nicely tilted or built into connected slopes; not fussy or overbearing
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

John Emerson

« Reply #27 on: April 18, 2021, 09:38:28 PM »
Is there any update on the rebunkering? I just took the aerial tour and I rather liked what is there. Simple shapes nicely tilted or built into connected slopes; not fussy or overbearing

Hang on...they went from “oh we are about to close the club and we need donations!!!” to bunker renovation??  What the hell?  Did someone gift them a million dollars?  Sounds like a scam
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Scott Warren

« Reply #28 on: April 18, 2021, 09:51:22 PM »
Duncan,

Being that the club is in such financial dire straits, do you still think it is entirely appropriate that you are introducing strangers who would otherwise be “visitors” to play instead with you as “guests” via your UK Top 100 members’ WhatsApp group?

ward peyronnin

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2021, 08:22:11 AM »
Duncan forgive me for resurrecting this thread rather than beginning a new one.
An unfortunate feature of this  pandemic business is it energizes the cynics and cranks to stir the pot. We report new cases now and ignore the falling hospit and death rate for example.
Our group's play mostly occurs on slower tee sheet days
Validates the new member's choice to join
Exposes the course to 30 , some substantial, influencers so let us consider the "marketing" aspect of our visit

Occurs after the summer holiday season( we say after labor day here in the US)
You are being pounded for the club's success recovering from the most uncertain times since WWII
Is a staff moral builder
ETC.

I dont want to speak for you but over here we would say " go piss up a rope"
"Golf is happiness. It's intoxication w/o the hangover; stimulation w/o the pills. It's price is high yet its rewards are richer. Some say its a boys pastime but it builds men. It cleanses the mind/rejuvenates the body. It is these things and many more for those of us who truly love it." M.Norman

Robin_Hiseman

« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2021, 09:15:02 AM »
Duncan,

Being that the club is in such financial dire straits, do you still think it is entirely appropriate that you are introducing strangers who would otherwise be “visitors” to play instead with you as “guests” via your UK Top 100 members’ WhatsApp group?

Scott

That's harsh.

Duncan has done a lot to bring Cavendish to a wider audience since putting his money where his mouth is and joining the club. He's also single-handedly organised this year's BUDA cup at Cavendish. He doesn't deserve such a cynical put down.
2024: Royal St. David's (x2); Mill Ride
In planning: Hayling, Jameson Links, Druids Glen, Royal Dublin, Portmarnock, Old Head, Thurlestone

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #31 on: April 19, 2021, 09:57:17 AM »

Hang on...they went from “oh we are about to close the club and we need donations!!!” to bunker renovation??  What the hell?  Did someone gift them a million dollars?  Sounds like a scam

A million? I think they’re spending about twenty thousand pounds on the bunker work
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #32 on: April 19, 2021, 02:14:42 PM »

A million? I think they’re spending about twenty thousand pounds on the bunker work

I was happy to make a small contribution to Duncan's efforts. I used to be a member of a golf course where the "Parent" holds a $31.2 billion endowment, and they can't seem to do 1/2 of what Duncan has done.

From afar, it looks like Duncan has done an amazing job. We have some family connections in Buxton, England and I hope to visit some day.
"One of the saddest lessons of history is this: If we’ve been bamboozled long enough, we tend to reject any evidence of the bamboozle. We’re no longer interested in finding out the truth. The bamboozle has captured us."

Dr. Carl Sagan, The Demon-Haunted World: Science as a Candle in the Dark

Scott Warren

« Reply #33 on: April 19, 2021, 03:19:09 PM »
Duncan,

Scott

That's harsh.

Duncan has done a lot to bring Cavendish to a wider audience since putting his money where his mouth is and joining the club. He's also single-handedly organised this year's BUDA cup at Cavendish. He doesn't deserve such a cynical put down.

That’s what made the whole WhatsApp green fee discount group thing so perplexing for me — it’s clear on here over the last handful of years how hard Duncan has worked to get Cavendish more attention & business from travelling golfers.

I can’t reconcile that significant effort with establishing and promoting a group that actively undercuts crucial visitor revenues at the same club. It’s genuinely perplexing.

If you think I’m being unfair, I’ll take note and I won’t mention it again.

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #34 on: April 19, 2021, 05:38:14 PM »
Duncan,

Two points;

1. Following the scare of a year ago the club has benefited hugely from the upsurge of interest in golf and had a massive boost both in membership and visitor income. None of this could have been foreseen this time last year.

2. My involvement in the Top 100 WhatsApp group has nothing to do with Cavendish. I am eligible solely through my membership at Silloth on Solway.

The salient point that you don’t seem to be able to grasp is that these visits to other top 100 clubs simply wouldn’t take place if the connections between members of the group had not been established. The result is a gain in income for all clubs involved - not a loss!
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 03:27:20 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

John Emerson

« Reply #35 on: April 19, 2021, 09:04:49 PM »

So they’re renovating a couple
bunkers in the same breath as needing money to avoid closure? Please tell me that you see how that doesn’t jive.  If you’re doors are about to close, you don’t go out and spend money on a bunker renovation especially if the club is throwing
out the idea that there is no money. 
“There’s links golf, then everything else.”

Duncan Cheslett

« Reply #36 on: April 19, 2021, 10:04:28 PM »

So they’re renovating a couple
bunkers in the same breath as needing money to avoid closure? Please tell me that you see how that doesn’t jive.  If you’re doors are about to close, you don’t go out and spend money on a bunker renovation especially if the club is throwing
out the idea that there is no money.

There was no money.

In April last year the club was literally a month or two away from insolvency. Cavendish has a small membership and relies for half its income on visitor revenue. This income was abruptly cut off just as last season was getting under way with no indication of when it might return. With no reserves and significant debt the risks of Cavendish going out of business were real and imminent.

An entirely new management board of members took over and brought new skill sets to the table. Among these was experience and expertise in fund raising and so the appeal was launched.  The money raised stabilised the club’s finances by making up the lost visitor revenue and allowed the club to carry on maintaining the course even while it was closed due to government regulations.

What no-one could have foreseen was the huge boom that golf experienced last summer when lockdown rules were relaxed. Golf clubs across the country saw a big rise in visitor income and an influx of new members. Cavendish benefitted more than most - due in no small part to the publicity gained via the fund raising appeal.

The work done over the winter on restoration of the bunkers on six holes has long been planned as part of the club’s centenary project in the build up to the 100th anniversary of the course opening in 2025. Ironically the Covid pandemic has enabled the club to finance these much needed improvements via the “bounce back loan” received via a government scheme at a negligible rate of interest.

It is hoped that continued growth in income will allow the club to restore the bunkers and make general improvements to the rest of the course over the next two years.

The club will be eternally grateful to all those who helped at a moment of crisis and made survival possible. No-one knew in those dark days of a year ago what the future held but it certainly looked bleak for our golf club. A year on it looks a lot brighter and Cavendish looks forward to welcoming all those who contributed to the appeal - largely through the advance purchase of green fees at discounted rates.

Strict financial controls have been put in place by the new management board and the club is now profitable after making losses for many years. Those who helped out can be assured that their money is being put to good use - investing in our magnificent golf course.
« Last Edit: April 20, 2021, 01:36:40 AM by Duncan Cheslett »

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #37 on: April 20, 2021, 06:53:26 PM »
Duncan, good for you for looking after your club. You and the members deserve a lot of credit. I remember when Musgrove Mill was on the chopping block and one of our members stepped up with a plan. Although he has since died, we remember his sacrifice, forward thinking, and love of the course.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back