News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Woolly WARREN GC: 2019-20 Winter Tour Ambles Along New
« on: February 05, 2020, 06:22:25 AM »
Dawlish Warren could never be termed a winsome town, but the nearby golf course exudes charm and a simple beauty which more than makes up for the town’s shortcomings.  To many the existence of a golf course situated on the Dawlish Warren Spit at the mouth of the Exe Estuary might seem highly unlikely.  The Warren’s 1892 founding in all probability grandfathered the course when special measures were later taken to protect the area.  The Spit is wrapped in a multi-layer blanket of National Nature Reserve, Site of Special Scientific Interest, and Ramsar Wetland of International Importance etc! 

The powers that be seem to be taking these ecological reasons for protection seriously as the entire backbone of the Spit has been reinforced as a measure against storms and high tides.  The result is a magnificent beach on the seaside of the Warren which stretches to the ear shaped point not far from Exmouth on the far side of the River Exe.  The club has worked closely with Devon Wildlife Trust and Natural England in managing the site to ensure golf and nature can successfully co-exist.  It is clear to me that one immediate result for golfers is a gorse clearing program which not only makes for more playable golf, but also opens site lines to help alleviate safety concerns from blind shots.

A serious downside of the Warren is the holes along the marsh, which include 7 and 14-17.  I imagine these holes will play dry in the summer, but beyond the issue of damp, these holes feel shoe-horned.  14 & 15 are tricky short 4s, 16 is a dull short hole and 17 opens up a bit, but isn’t a hole of much merit.  The club devised a clever plan to avoid all of these holes except the 7th in offering a 10 hole rate. This option creates a bit of a walk to the house as the 10th green is just behind 1st green, however, if time and money are tight or water is plentiful(!) then the 10 hole option is the perfect solution.

Entering the club is a bit bewildering.  A tunnel under the rail tracks initiates a journey through age old beach-side pleasantries that would make the Ringling Brothers blush.  Upon reaching the gates the 18th green is on the left and it is highly likely that golf balls are coming in your direction while folks on the first tee wonder what new idiot has rolled into town. 

Having a shared fairway with 18 makes the opener generously wide, but I expect the house isn't meshed because it looks good.  The front left bunker works well with the right to left cant of the green.

A bit of a surprise, the second plays over a marshy area toward the 17th before turning hard right.

The green sits on completely different terrain, much more of the links variety.

An excellent short hole, the third features a bit of a blind bowl green. 

The front of the green is quite harsh, but in a way which makes one smile.

Blind bunkers are one of Warren's headlines.  What can't be seen from the tee is the rear bunker.   

4 and 9 (on the left) share a fairway replete with blind bunkers.   

There are many bunkers which are gracefully eroded.  If the club can keep balls from burrowing under the "lips" then all is simply perfect.

A look at the large uphill green from near the 5th tee.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 27, 2021, 02:31:54 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

John Mayhugh

Re: Woolly WARREN GC: 2019-20 Winter Tour Ambles Along 1-4
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2020, 08:09:01 AM »
I had to go to google maps to see where we were visiting. After studying the satellite view a bit, I'm really looking forward to the rest of this tour. You can certainly pick out which holes are in the marsh.
Braid?

Brock Lynch

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2020, 08:43:41 AM »
Sean,

Already adding Warren to the list when we get back to Devon/Cornwall. Thanks for educating us on where the great spots are in the UK.

Cheers

David_Tepper

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2020, 12:54:34 PM »
I know this may be silly of me, but I really like how beautifully so many of the courses Sean profiles use the sky as a design element. A bit underrated the sky is, as a key architectural feature. It quite often seems to change/impact everything.
Peter 

Thomas Dai

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 01:27:38 PM »
The sand spit that the course etc is located on has changed shape many times over the decades/centuries.

The 1948 low tide aerial photo posted above (and now shown in colour below) is after the great storm of 1946 which washed away the northern 'hook' end of the spit and the various chalets etc that were built on it. Over time however, as this recent high tide aerial shows, the spit is reverting in both shape and size.

Here's a short video of the Club, course and spit - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dr2qVszWyrQ

atb

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2020, 03:40:09 PM »
WARREN TOUR CONT

While not a hole I much admire, the 5th does offer a solution to bunker erosion. From many angles the "solution" is not immediately apparent.

Many of the bunkers have steps leading onto them, but these steps are a bit unusual.

Playing toward the end of the spit, the 6th is a cagey hole.  OOB right, a steep fallaway left and a fairway which progressively narrows. 

More bunker blindness.

Across the river Exmouth hovers in the background. Billed as the start of the Jurassic Coast, Exmouth has enough charm to be of interest for a few nights.   

Warren as seen from Exmouth Marina.

Exmouth is the end of the line!

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 07:09:23 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Woolly WARREN GC: 2019-20 Winter Tour Ambles Along 1-6
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2020, 06:09:16 AM »
The very essence of 'seaside golf'.  Not over long - it would be a great place to bring newcomers to and introduce them to the links game.
[/size]
[/size] [/size]I played it at Easter and  it m[/size]ust have been a very dry winter because nothing was marshy, [/size] [/size] I've never played a 'keener' course.  The ball ran forever and I think it was the 6th hole where I hit 8i, 8i through the green (ever present wind assisted). The test was all about distance control rather than needing to get 'length'.
[/size]
[/size]Maybe not worth a special trip but it's close to a lovely part of the world and the members seem to play fast. I got round on a weekend in a little over 3 hours.
[/size]
[/size]
Let's make GCA grate again!

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2020, 02:04:07 PM »
Surprisingly large feet.

The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Sean_A

Re: Woolly WARREN GC: 2019-20 Winter Tour Ambles Along 1-6 New
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2020, 02:27:37 PM »
WARREN TOUR CONT

The next two holes essentially route the course back to linksland.  The 7th legs right around open water.  Most will cut the cape to some degree.

I am not sure why, but for such a great natural hazard, the hole isn't as attractive as one imagines it should be.  The dead flat fairway (and very wet!) and approach don't help matters.

Taking us back to higher ground, the 8th is an excellent short hole.

From the 9th there is a harsh run of four holes, two each in opposite directions: 424, 434, 461 & 442 yards respectively.  The 9th is a tricky drive, but we already know about the blind bunkers from playing the 4th. 

When hitting a fairway metal, holding the dome green is a tough ask for most golfers.   

The  sections of 4, 9-11 & 17 almost feels more like a heathland course than a links.  For some reason, it is on these holes where some shifty pocket-size bunkers are found.   

Should one choose to steer well clear of the left gorse on #10, there are centreline bunkers lying in wait. 

There is the option to bail after 10 holes.  For the most part, Warren's best holes are in the rear view mirror so this isn't a bad call.  Although, the 11th is just as interesting as the 10th.

The par 5 twelfth begins well, but ends very awkwardly to a green between trees and ditches.  The reader gains more of an appreciation of the tight routing when it is realized the green in the photo is the 14th.

Like the 8th, #13 plays over boggy ground, but to a far less interesting green site.  It seems to me the teeing area for the 14th should be used for a green right on the water.  Although, the 14th has a certain visual rustic charm about it which is more interesting than the hole itself.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 02, 2021, 03:27:38 AM by Sean_A »

Sean_A

Re: Woolly WARREN GC: 2019-20 Winter Tour Ambles Along 1-14 New
« Reply #10 on: February 09, 2020, 06:49:07 AM »
WARREN TOUR CONT

15 is not too dissimilar to 14 in that most days big hitters can blow drives over the problem areas.

The short 16th is perhaps the dullest hole on the course.  The 17th isn't anything special either, though it is difficult playing into a winter wind.  The home hole is something different as shown earlier in the thread.  The clubhouse is well within the danger area on the right. 

The approach from a humpty bumpty fairway is most interesting.

I don't understand why, but there are two bunkers tucked against the wall shy of the green.

That then is Warren GC.  I was unlucky to catch the course during a very wet period because I do think the back nine is better than it showed on the day.  Still, the front nine is good and while there are not any truly great holes, #s 3, 4, 6, 8, 9 & 18 make for an admirable mix of golf.  The option to play 10 holes and possibly sneak in the 18th for good measure for a very reasonable sub £20 green fee is a very strong pull for me so I could see myself returning for a game when playing Teignmouth and Yelverton.  2020

Many thanks to the Welsh Wizard for introducing me to Warren GC!

Previous stops on the Winter Tour

Gullane #3
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,67899.0.html

Nefyn
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,67656.0.html

Harlech
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,33937.0.html

Tadmarton Heath
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,26579.msg497818.html#msg497818

Notts
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,33988.msg1137972.html#msg1137972

Alnmouth Village
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,65709.0.html

Planned Stops

East Devon
Burnham & Berrow Channel
Tandridge
Kington
St Germain
Woodhall Spa
Seacroft

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 02, 2020, 03:46:42 AM by Sean_A »

Thomas Dai

Re: Woolly WARREN GC: 2019-20 Winter Tour Ambles Along
« Reply #11 on: February 09, 2020, 12:35:19 PM »
A very fine summary of the course with splendid photos, not easy given that the last few holes play into the setting sun.

The 1st and 18th are certainly different to the norm. Think TOC but narrower and reached through a tight bridge under a railway line and past some seaside funfair structures. And when you arrive at the Club/course care with car parking is very much recommended!
The 1st isn't a bad hole, nice greensite, just different, whilst the stretch of holes from 2-11 and to an extent the 17th is delightful golf. Fine, interesting holes with easy walking requiring thought not just bashing away, small greens, evil natural bunkers and lots of gorse. Holes 12-16 aren't to the same standard although I have sympathy for the 14th and 15th which have interest but being rather similar to each other suffer from coming back-to-back in the round. And the 18th? Well that's just unique and needs to be seen/played to be believed.
The idea of raising the par-3 13th green onto the level of the 14th tee and thus the edge of the levee (and playing the 13th correspondingly shorter) has appeal to me even though it would shorten the 14th. Maybe an angle adjustment of the nothing special par-5 12th would help? Food for thought.
There's plenty of enjoyable golf at Dawlish Warren amongst a lovely serene, tranquil setting as well, especially further out on the spit. Stunning location too what with the views, the boats, the bird life etc.
atb

PS - I did a course tour a few years ago although Mr Photobucket has now treated the photos in an unhelpful manner - https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,62750.msg1512037.html#msg1512037
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 12:47:54 PM by Thomas Dai »

Peter Flory

Re: Woolly WARREN GC: 2019-20 Winter Tour Ambles Along 1-14
« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2020, 04:00:55 PM »
I don't understand why, but there are two bunkers tucked against the wall shy of the green.

Maybe to discourage players from using the wall as a guard rail with punchy approach shots?  Looks like a really fun course. 

John Mayhugh

« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2020, 07:35:52 AM »
I wonder how many cars get hit each year?

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2020, 09:54:22 AM »
Sean if one were to play ten courses in Devon/Cornwall, would Warren be on the list? The course looks interesting but not interesting enough to go out of my way to play it. Did I miss something?
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Thomas Dai

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2020, 01:28:23 PM »
If links courses are your thing then Devon doesn’t have many of them ... only the two at Saunton, RND/Westward Ho and then the one at Dawlish Warren.
There are some clifftops like Thurlestone and Ilfracombe and some clifftop/heathland hybrids like Teignmouth and East Devon plus some moorlands like Yelverton and Tavistock as well as parklands like Tiverton and Exeter and some resort/hotel courses too like Dartmouth, Bovey Tracy and Bigbury.
I’m not sure anything else stands out but if there are any wee gems in the County of the green flag with the white/black cross I’d be keen to hear of them (the moorland front-9 at Wrangaton seems a possibility).
Atb

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2020, 08:32:02 PM »
Sean if one were to play ten courses in Devon/Cornwall, would Warren be on the list? The course looks interesting but not interesting enough to go out of my way to play it. Did I miss something?

Tommy

For pure architectural quality, Warren wouldn't make my top 10 Cornwall/Devon courses. I would be very hesistant to send somebody to Warren unless they were already going to be very close and looking for a game.  That said, I like Warren and would place it among the lower rungs of my favourite 10 in Cornwall/Devon.  I think I prefer it to Saunton West and Trevose, but not as much as Yelverton, Bude & N Cornwall or West Cornwall...to name some other lesser name courses in the region. For sure, Warren has a certain charm, but all in all I would more likely than not play the 10 hole routing and call it day. 

Ciao

Brock Lynch

« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2020, 10:48:23 PM »
Sean,

I'm confused. You say that you like Warren better than Saunton West and Trevose, but would only play 1-10 and call it a day?

Sean_A

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2020, 05:05:19 AM »
Sean,

I'm confused. You say that you like Warren better than Saunton West and Trevose, but would only play 1-10 and call it a day?

Brock

While both Saunton West and Trevose are clearly better courses, Warren has more charm and a cool rustic vibe in how the course is presented.  I also like the small package design. It just so happens nearly all the best golf is from 1-10.  On a lovely day when the course isn't too crowded and you have nothing else pressing, sure, play 18. 

Ciao

Thomas Dai

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2020, 07:36:00 AM »
A round at Dawlish Warren GC plus a round at the nearby Alister MacKenzie designed moorland course at Teignmouth GC, which is only about 10 mins away, would make rather fine 36-hole day.
atb

Teignmouth -https://www.teignmouthgolfclub.co.uk/

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back