News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Guileless GULLANE 3 New
« on: December 30, 2019, 05:13:53 AM »
St Andrews may be the Home of Golf, but nowhere breathes golf quite like Gullane.  There are five courses within a brisk 15 minute walk of the famed Old Clubhouse...and that isn’t including the Children’s Course adjacent to Gullane #3...which by and by is free to play.  Several other courses which are a short car ride from Gullane hug the south coast of the Firth of Forth and include Kilspindie, Renaissance, Archerfield, Craigielaw and North Berwick.  Muirfield, or more properly The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers, is the oldest and most prestigious of the Gullane clubs.  However, Gullane GC is rightly famous for its three courses and as a host to the odd big occasion. 

At just over 5200 yards from the back markers, the #3 course is about 1000 yards shorter than its illustrious championship neighbour's yellow tees. Yet, this Willie Park Jr (he also designed #2) design which is now over 100 years old has champions of its own.  Recently passed Archie Baird preferred #3 to the other two courses and it’s easy to understand why.  In many ways, the course is stylistically quite similar to #1.  Okay, #1 is lacking the idiosyncrasies of #3 and it certainly is more heavily bunkered, but when standing on Gullane Hill all three courses share the same essential qualities of ancient golfing ground...that is no nonsense firm links turf and true greens.  Indeed, the courses are so beloved that the waitlist for membership is so long it is closed. 

For my tastes, at least half of #3's best holes are on the visitor's house side of the A198.  All six holes (1-3 & 16-18) either run over compelling terrain and/or have an interesting design shape.  In fact, with the exception #12, all the doglegs are on this side of the property.  The opener plays over low-lying, but rumpled terrain with OOB hard to the right.  The intriguing aspect of the hole is the approach.

The short second too is supplied with ample bunkering.  It almost seems a shame to use this lovely terrain on a par 3. 

Legging a bit left, when into a head wind, it is all too easy for drives to slide that much too far right on the third. The 4th is across the road in the background.The opening three holes totals 778 yards and completely hook me into the game.

Unfortunately, we now must climb Gullane Hill for the 4th.  This is a trait all three courses share and am I not convinced any of the trio provide good golf for the climb.  The 5th is a bit deceptive. It may appear rather bland, but there is some good shaping around the green. The drive on 6 looks very straight-forward with bunkers sandwiching a generous fairway, but all is not what it seems.  My playing partner suggested I play very near the left bunker or else risk, what turned out to be a blind bunker on the right.  After the two visible bunkers, the land cascades right and in truth the blind bunker may save a lost ball.  Of further interest is a gully on the left feeds the left bunker.  I expect in summer months the play is to lay up unless one can bash a driver 300 yards.  The plateau green is nestled in a rock outcropping with a sharp fallway back right. I have a lot of time for the 6th.   

The course descends in dramatic fashion for the 7th, another among a plethora of short two-shotters.  Luffness New is cheek by jowel on the left. 

A tough short hole, the 8th plays between bunkers to a slightly uphill green. 

The straight-away 9th features a raised and slightly punchbowl green.  At 450 yards, the 10th is the first hole over 350 yards!  As is often the case at G3, the land is mildly humpty bumpty...just enough to create awkward lies which necessitate care with ball flight. 

After the 7th, the course slowly ascends to the top of the property.  However, the short 11th seems to will golfers up the hill in a manner akin to the 4th; that is with harsh abruptness.  The interesting aspect of the green is it runs front to back, a trait Willie Park Jr is well known for. Looking back to the tee.

Perhaps the toughest par 4 at G3, the 12th emphatically breaks the string of straight holes.  A down n' up reverse camber hole, tee shots naturally whip left once landing.  As a consequence of the hard slope, I suspect many drives find the right rough. For rear hole locations there is a backboard which will feed approaches back toward the hole.

More to follow.

Happy Hockey
« Last Edit: October 09, 2023, 02:24:30 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Guileless GULLANE #3: 1-12
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 06:33:56 AM »

guileless

adjective

devoid of guile; innocent and without deception

Not a thought that springs to my mind about No 3?  Your description of no 6 alone suggests otherwise. I also find that with the elevation changes (not always abrupt), the course layout twisting direction and some well contoured and stepped greens all challenges multiplied by the  wind means judging distance to play into the greens is paramount here.

Love this course, Playing it I've never thought about the overall length, as there's more than enough golf to it.

Look forward to the rest thanks.
« Last Edit: December 30, 2019, 06:44:10 AM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2019, 07:46:12 AM »
Very nice. Shame about the hill climbing!
Was there or is there a composite course at Gullane?
Arb

John Mayhugh

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2019, 08:09:24 AM »

Love this course, Playing it I've never thought about the overall length, as there's more than enough golf to it.

Sean,
Thanks for doing this tour. I'm very intrigued by what I'm seeing.

Tony's comment above says so much about what matters.

Sean_A

Re: Guileless GULLANE #3 New
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2019, 08:50:49 AM »
Very nice. Shame about the hill climbing!
Was there or is there a composite course at Gullane?
Arb

ATB

I seem to recall for either Open Qualifiying or the Scottish Open that a few holes from #2 were slotted into the routing. 

Spangles

One hole doesn't make a cunning course!

GULLANE #3 TOUR CONT

The views from the tee of #13 across Aberlady Bay to Kilspindie are good. This par three is gradually growing on me. Onto the 14th, which steadily climbs Gullane Hill for all of its 443 yards.  Listed as the sole par 5, I expect in summer weather this hole presents a good opportunity for a birdie. Regardless, if the hole is on the right of the green this can prove to be a problematic green due to the false front. I watched two balls roll 40 yards down the hill after being on the green.

Looking back to the tee well below the green.

It is very rare that I like a drop shot par 3, but the fifteenth is an exception.  I think what sets this hole apart from others of its ilk is the length of time it takes the ball to come to rest after hitting it.  At first there is hope the ball will make it to the green, but then the realization sets in that going long is the main concern.  #2's second green is in the background.

More to follow.

Happy Hockey
« Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 04:51:33 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Niall C

Re: Guileless GULLANE #3: 1-15
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2019, 09:48:14 AM »
It's easy to like a drop shot par 3 when you've just had a 2. Just saying  ;D

Niall

Jason Topp

Re: Guileless GULLANE #3: 1-15
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2019, 02:29:20 PM »
I took my young kids out to #3 one evening and had a great time.  We played 1-4 and then skipped over to 15 and played in.  I remember being charmed by the flatter holes and the kids loving the down-hill shot.

Sean_A

2019-20 Winter Tour: Guileless GULLANE #3 New
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2019, 06:23:32 AM »
I took my young kids out to #3 one evening and had a great time.  We played 1-4 and then skipped over to 15 and played in.  I remember being charmed by the flatter holes and the kids loving the down-hill shot.

I recall back in 1994 a bunch of us tried whacking putters down the 15th and a few folks went long!

Niall

Maybe your theory is right.  I birdied #14 as well and thats a good hole  8)

GULLANE #3 TOUR CONT

Things settle into ordinary excellent golf after the 15th. With the noise of cars zooming along the A198, we must decide if it is best to be on the left or right of the 16th fairway.  In hindsight, the right leaves an open approach even if it is a bit obscured. 

There is a clever wee mound right of the greenside bunker which can act for or against play.

My playing partner disagreed, but I think 17 is perhaps the best hole on the course.  Even though the hole is barely uphill and not much over 325 yards, I couldn't make out this hole from the tee.  The dogleg nature of the hole isn't evident with my aging eyes. In any case, stay left should be the hole name. Standing over the second, I still couldn't figure out what was happening, though I was told to hit at the bunker...a direction which didn't sit well with me.  After walking forward the full story was revealed.

Any shot too strong will likely be carried to the rear of the green as dictated by the slope.  Many shots steering too clear of the bunker will feed down the left gully....a clear reminder of the Leven's awesome 14th. 

The home hole is a new par 3. The old greensite is now used for a practice area. I must admit, I am surprised it turned out as well as it did. 1-3 and 16-18 make a beautiful boozer's loop!

Behind the green.

My admiration for #3 continues to increase. Many may think #3 is the sort of course one eventually resigns oneself to as age creeps in.  However, with quality holes such as 2, 3, 6, 7, 8, 12 and 14-18, there is plenty to hold one's attention no matter your age.  Because the course rating is almost two shots below the par of 67, #3 is not necessarily an easy course to play to one's handicap, but this isn't the reason we play courses such as this. After nearly 110 years #3 remains vital because its good golf.  1*  2023

Previous stops on the  2019-20 Winter Tour

Nefyn
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,67656.0.html

Harlech
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,33937.0.html

Tadmarton Heath
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,26579.msg497818.html#msg497818

Notts
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,33988.msg1137972.html#msg1137972

Alnmouth Village
http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,65709.0.html

Planned Stops

Woodhall Spa
Seacroft

The Scale

3* Don't miss for any reason                           

2* Plan a significant trip around this course                           

1* Worth an overnight detour                           

R Worth A Significant Day Trip (no more driving than it takes to play and have drinks)                           

r A good fall back on course/trip filler                           

Happy Hockey
« Last Edit: November 05, 2023, 04:56:47 AM by Sean_A »

Thomas Dai

Re: 2019-20 Winter Tour: Guileless GULLANE #3
« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2019, 06:56:09 AM »
Very nice tour. Highlights that courses don’t need masses of yardage to be enjoyable.
“Clever wee mound”. Something there should be more of on courses.
Atb

David Harshbarger

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2019, 11:02:22 AM »
There's something very telling that Mr. Arble tags the 17th hole with this green site:

....as the best hole on the course.  Probably also telling is that his playing partner didn't agree. 

Certainly, visually, and to the uninitiated, there is no way this bland, bunkerless green site could possibly be that of the best hole on the course, unless the rest of the course is flat as a pancake.   The hole is not bunkerless, and the bunker just behind the camera is important to the interest here, but I think most would be hard pressed to infer the simple, but real challenge this hole presents.
The trouble with modern equipment and distance—and I don't see anyone pointing this out—is that it robs from the player's experience. - Mickey Wright

John Mayhugh

« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2020, 08:15:55 AM »
Tours like this offer about the only good thing I can think of about winter. Thanks for doing them.

The 17th shows how a clever green site can turn a bland looking hole into a star. Like the reference to Leven's fine 14th.

Ian Galbraith

« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2020, 08:56:19 AM »
I always find the 17th awkward, even when I hit the shots I intend to, I find the next one awkward too. I guess I haven't figured it out yet, which is maybe a compliment to the hole :) 

Tim Gallant

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2020, 09:36:05 AM »
Great tour Sean!

A question: Do you prefer the drop shot 3 at Gullane 3 or Goswick? Both have their merits, and curious if you prefer one over the other?

Sean_A

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2020, 09:43:37 AM »
Great tour Sean!

A question: Do you prefer the drop shot 3 at Gullane 3 or Goswick? Both have their merits, and curious if you prefer one over the other?

Tim

I couldn't really choose a favourite, both are good holes in their own ways.  I guess on the face of it, many people will think G3's is a bit of a rinky dink hole with a large element of luck and perhaps this is a good point.  Still, the hole is a lot of fun simply because of the time the ball is on the ground and for how long it is out of sight. 

Ian

Yes, the 17th is a little cuss of a hole.  My playing partner remarked that he remembered the left gully as deeper.

Ciao

Niall C

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2020, 05:57:29 AM »
For the record, I didn't say the 17th wasn't a good hole, I just disagreed that it was the best on the course. Personally I think the hole that proceeds it is better and probably 6 and 7 as well. I'm also a big fan of the first which in my mind probably vies with the first at RDGC as my favourite opening hole in Scotland. Indeed the second is one of my favourite par 3's anywhere.

There are loads of good holes at Gullane and even when you're playing a hole that's not so good there is always that beautiful turf that is a joy to play off. If I was restricted to playing only Gullane No3 for the rest of my life I'd be a very happy man.

"The Playing Partner"

David Jones

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2020, 08:14:03 AM »
Great tour Sean!

Tim

I couldn't really choose a favourite, both are good holes in their own ways.  I guess on the face of it, many people will think G3's is a bit of a rinky dink hole with a large element of luck and perhaps this is a good point.  Still, the hole is a lot of fun simply because of the time the ball is on the ground and for how long it is out of sight. 

Ian

Yes, the 17th is a little cuss of a hole.  My playing partner remarked that he remembered the left gully as deeper.

Ciao

A 12 year old friend of my son’s, got a hole in one with a putter from the tee on the 15th at Gullane recently. It was an expensive round of lemonades....!

Sean_A

« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2020, 07:46:30 PM »
Great tour Sean!

Tim

Ian

Ciao

A 12 year old friend of my son’s, got a hole in one with a putter from the tee on the 15th at Gullane recently. It was an expensive round of lemonades....!

Very fine!

Ciao

David Jones

« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2020, 04:30:21 AM »
I was out on Gullane 3 over the weekend and the 18th holes is being somewhat truncated. They are turning it into a par 3 so they can extend the practice facilities back over where the second half of the 18th hole is today.

I think its a real shame as it was a fun finishing hole and I enjoyed the two tier green. Looks like the work is starting quite soon so I will attempt to put some pictures up when it does.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2020, 04:51:19 AM »
I was out on Gullane 3 over the weekend and the 18th holes is being somewhat truncated. They are turning it into a par 3 so they can extend the practice facilities back over where the second half of the 18th hole is today.

I think its a real shame as it was a fun finishing hole and I enjoyed the two tier green. Looks like the work is starting quite soon so I will attempt to put some pictures up when it does.

That's a shame - I'm playing Gullane 3 for the first time in May so looks like I might miss this. Photo's appreciated.

Ally

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2020, 05:47:52 AM »
More than a shame. 

I think Golfers tend to have a lower opinion of courses that start or finish with a Par 3, thus it's renown will fall further and more people will miss out on playing this treat. Plus now that can of worms has been opened, what further changes might follow.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Sean_A

« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2020, 06:32:15 AM »
I recall the chap in the hut stating the putting green was going to be removed to extend the practice ground. He didn't mention the 18th. So does this mean there will be a long walk back to the house around the practice ground?

Ciao

Niall C

« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2020, 08:41:02 AM »
As Sean says, the starter most definitely said they were extending the teeing area back over the practice putting/chipping green. There was no reference to using any part of the 18th. They had already stripped the turf from the practice green and laid on a new practice green lying to the rear of the 18th on no. 2 and between the starters hut and the visitor clubhouse.

I was more disappointed in losing the practice chipping and putting green which I really enjoyed. Losing that so a few big hitters aren't running out of practice ground seems like a poor trade off to me.

Niall

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2020, 12:00:53 PM »
Great shame that. Why alter a perfectly good hole for the sake of a few players. Better to set a maximum club for the practise area. Golf for most people is about playing the course with friends with the majority of local players probably never hitting any warm up shots. A couple of putts on the practice green and off to the first tee leaving Misery Hill to the odd ones who feel the need to leave a couple of dozen good shots out on the range  ::)

David Jones

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2020, 11:14:30 AM »
I have done a little more digging. There is a 5 year strategic plan for the club that is going to the AGM later in the month.
There is an 'intermediate' plan and a 'full' one.
The intermediate plan has a £1m+ visitors' clubhouse project. Lots of glass and a complete renovation that will provide a 'comfortable and contemporary space'.

The intermediate plan then sees the 18th on number 3 truncated to a par 3 with the existing 18th green used as a short game practice area.

The current practice area tee will be expanded and they will create more features on the range itself  - greens for targets and a draw and fade fairway. There'll be mounding either side of the range

Edwards Design have been doing the work on this

The full plans have a lot more changes to number 3. A couple of years ago McKenzie Ebert had a proposal and Edwards have done one as well

The latter has some really significant changes. The current practice area is used for three new holes - 1 (which plays to the current 16th green that is extended to a double green) and then a par 3 17th and par 5 18th back to the clubhouse. They then create a new range where the current 1st and 17th holes are.

I hope that makes some sense

It would be very bold to vote for the full plan now but looks like the intermediate will go ahead.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 11:18:19 AM by David Jones »

Sean_A

« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2020, 09:09:14 AM »
David

Thanks.  It would be a shame to mess with those 6 house side holes. Is the kids area really more important than a real course kids can play (#3)?

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back