News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Pas de Calais: HARDELOT LES DUNES
« on: June 21, 2019, 08:30:42 AM »
On the third day in Pas de Calais we played Les Dunes, a 1991 course built through residential housing, not too dissimilar in this way from Les Pins.  Also like Les Pins, the routing is quite hilly and done very well to keep the walking though the estate to a minimum.  The course is maybe a mile from Les Pins and has what looks to be a fairly new house hanging over the 18th. I must say, much of the course looked far newer than 25 years old so I suspect significant work took place fairly recently and perhaps the house was built at the same time.  Like many French clubhouses, it isn't particularly golfy and I expect the local residents use it for drinking and dining. 

With six par 3s and a total yardage under 6000, Les Dunes is meant to be a more gentle form of the game.  That said, the course plays fairly long because of the lush fairways and many raised greens.  The opener is a sign of things to come.

The angled and stepped green can be elusive if one drives a bit too far left.

The second.

The blind drive 3rd tumbles downhill to a stepped green.  Many golfers will be able to reach this par 5.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 27, 2019, 04:50:27 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Pas de Calais: HARDELOT LES DUNES 1-3
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2019, 12:19:48 PM »

Where did this 'style' come from? Also on show on the 'new' Himalayas at Princes.

Looking forward to the full tour.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2019, 01:24:31 PM »

Where did this 'style' come from? Also on show on the 'new' Himalayas at Princes.

Looking forward to the full tour.

It isn't really -- the only bunker on the Hims that looks like that is the one on the last hole which is referred to as 'Sarazen's bunker' -- and thus I assume has always been like that.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

David_Tepper

« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2019, 01:34:52 PM »
"Where did this 'style' come from? Also on show on the 'new' Himalayas at Princes."

Aren't there bunkers at Royal North Devon reinforced with sleepers?

https://www.google.com/search?q=royal+north+devon+golf+club&tbm=isch&source=univ&client=firefox-b-1-d&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwib-o6-jfviAhVGXKwKHVNZCOkQsAR6BAgAEAE&biw=1440&bih=786#imgrc=Hq1GAwVo4Xq9vM:

John Mayhugh

« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2019, 01:59:31 PM »
Looking forward to this. I cannot understand how Sean is able to do multiple course tours at once, though, as I am challenged to do just one.

Sean_A

Re: Pas de Calais: HARDELOT LES DUNES 1-3 New
« Reply #5 on: June 22, 2019, 04:06:49 AM »
LES DUNES TOUR CONT

A fairly long two-shotter, the 4th plays downhill to a perched green.  Some horrible trees were planted out right not too long ago.  The sandy nature of the site is so well concealed that many might be forgiven for thinking Les Dunes looks like any one of a hundred American parkland courses.  There is no question the owners have not taken full advantage of what the sandy soil has to offer.

It must be a very difficult in deciding to place one bunker under a plateau green.  Many times the sand looks a bit a lost, as is the case on the short 5th.  Perhaps a much bolder bunker would better serve this otherwise good hole.

The sharp dogleg is employed a few times on this course, in this case it seems to add a bit of meat to a short par 4.

The course doesn't have the traditional 1 & 10 starting points near the house.  What Les Dunes does have is the clever placement of 7 & 11 very near the house. This makes it easy for members to do evening bopping around or skip by visitors.  A short hole, the 7th is a rarity for me in that its a drop shot I like. Its simple, functional design works a treat.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 04:22:44 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mark Pearce

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2019, 04:15:01 AM »
"Where did this 'style' come from? Also on show on the 'new' Himalayas at Princes."

Aren't there bunkers at Royal North Devon reinforced with sleepers?

https://www.google.com/search?q=royal+north+devon+golf+club&tbm=isch&source=univ&client=firefox-b-1-d&sa=X&ved=2ahUKEwib-o6-jfviAhVGXKwKHVNZCOkQsAR6BAgAEAE&biw=1440&bih=786#imgrc=Hq1GAwVo4Xq9vM:
And at Brancaster.  But I don't think that's what Tony is referring to.  I think it's the spaces between the sleepers to give them that striped look.  Which is weird.
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Niall C

Re: Pas de Calais: HARDELOT LES DUNES 1-7
« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2019, 06:38:13 AM »
From what I recall it's the only bunker on the course like that, and indeed the only large sandy waste type bunker on the course.

Adam - does the first not also have a bunker like that right hand side of the green at the Hims ?

Sean - not sure I'd call the turf lush exactly. When someone mentions lush I tend to think of the courses on the Costa Del Sol which tend to be well over watered. That didn't seem to be the case here. To my mind it certainly ran a bit better than on the Simpson course and didn't have quite as much of the tough wiry grass (sorry, not sure what it is called)

Niall

Thomas Dai

Re: Pas de Calais: HARDELOT LES DUNES 1-7
« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2019, 07:31:53 AM »
Another place, admittedly more modern, where 'striped' sleeper faces, ie with gaps between each vertical sleeper, have been used is Lykia Links, Turkey.
atb

Sean_A

Re: Pas de Calais: HARDELOT LES DUNES 1-7 New
« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2019, 06:32:40 AM »
LES DUNES TOUR CONT

Back to back long holes close out the side.  The 8th is a shortish par 5 that played its full length and more into the into wind.  The bunkers look oddly under-sized which is in complete contrast to the greenside bunkers. 

The green is a fairly tough target. 

A roundhouse legger right, the shape of the 9th makes it tough to reach in two even for big hitters.

A raised green awaits.

A short par 4, the 10th is fairly narrow and plays uphill.  This is one of many incidents where one can choose to play safe of trouble with a lay-up and still be able to reach the green. I prefer this sort option if a lay-up is a choice.  The option of a lay-up which requires an extra shot to reach the green gets old.  To a large degree, length should be its own reward and hitting a much shorter club into a green seems a fitting advantage for the successful bigger hitter.

A short hole over water follows. 

To great effect, the sandy element of the course is evident on some holes.  The 12th legs hard left and heads uphill.  Perhaps the architects realized the course is quite short and used sharp leggers to tame the long ball....it is effective.

The problem with open sandy areas is it requires a strategy to successfully integrate isolated bunkers.  Otherwise, stand-alone bunkers as seen below look inadequate.

Not long, but uphill, the 13th is a decent par 5, although the sharp doglegs were starting to wear thin.

A cracking longish par 3 follows.  A large swale fronts a green which runs away from play.  One must make a decision on the type of ball flight. Will a flat shot (hard to pull off on a downhill shot) run through the swale?  Will the carry hold the green?

15 too is a good hole.  A short par 4, the fairway narrows the further one hits the drive.  Bailing into the right rough is an option, but it does leave a less than desirable approach angle.

The 16th asks the golfer to consider the risk of a narrower fairway for the reward of a shorter approach.  Even though the hole isn't long, being uphill the reward can pay great dividends.

A short par 3, the 17th seemed to play longer than its yardage suggested. 

It may be a cliche, yet I like the over the water 18th.  Two factors mitigate the penal carry.  First, there is fairway right.  Its not a huge fairway, but its just enough to be a viable alternative.  Second, there is plenty of scope for playing long. There is a saving bank behind the right side of the green and open ground beyond the left side. 

I had no expectations about Les Dunes prior to playing, in fact I didn't know it was a modern course.  The property, while hilly, isn't onerous.  This is helped by the low yardage of the design.  There is a sandy site trying to burst through and it does here and there, and this would be my major misgiving about the course (same as Les Pins).  If a site is blessed with sandy soil it must be exploited for all its worth.  That said, I do like Les Dunes even if it isn't as classy as its sister course. 2019

Ciao
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 04:29:26 AM by Sean_A »

Niall C

Re: Pas de Calais: HARDELOT LES DUNES
« Reply #10 on: June 29, 2019, 10:08:17 AM »
Sean

You will recall that when we all sat down to lunch at the end of the trip you asked what was everyones favourite course and this course got more votes than any other. I didn't vote for it, probably because of the styling, but on reflection, of the courses we played it had the most interesting routing in the way it used and went through the landscape. I'd happily play it again even if I still wouldn't have it as pick of the bunch.

Niall

Sean_A

Re: Pas de Calais: HARDELOT LES DUNES
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2019, 05:50:01 AM »
Niall

Yes, I think the routing through the housing estate is well done with the one caveat that there are maybe too many sharp leggers (sharp being where the green isn't visible).  All in all, Les Dunes is one of the better modern courses I have seen.

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back