News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Pas de Calais: LE TOUQUET LA MER New
« on: June 20, 2019, 02:34:14 PM »

Not 15 miles south of Hardelot, Le Touquet is a resort town with a broad sandy beach.  Unfortunately, the seafront has been developed with concrete and glass structures which were seemingly inspired by German bunker construction.  Thankfully, a few blocks further inland Touquet retains its 1920/30s charm which is reassuring.  Despite the famously adventurous architecture, the resort owes its origins to the English, who developed the town as a golf and gambling haven. The modest sized (~50,000 residents) Le Touquet is not only famous for golf and gambling, the town has hosted a stage for the Tour de France four times, held professional tennis tournaments and perhaps most remarkably, is home to the Enduropale.  This motorcycle race is held each February on the beach and through the dunes.  If all this hasn’t sold you on Le Touquet, PG Wodehouse lived there for a quite a period before he was interned by the Germans in 1940.

Just a few miles away from the town centre is the golf resort with three courses, one being a 9 holer.  Most golfers come to play La Mer, a true links which had fallen on hard times during and after WWII.  The course was bombed and defensive bunkers were built by the Germans.  The course didn’t re-open until 1963, but 13-16 were abandoned.  In 1992 the 13-16 area of the course was re-opened, but not to Colt & Alison’s design (built by Dutch firm Copijn & Loon) In recent years F Pont and P Boissonnas have been working on restoring La Mer.  Barely a hole has been left untouched in one way or another.  The result is a fairly open, scrubby looking site which I expect was the goal.  I suppose the crux of the restoration work was recapturing 13-16.  However, tree removal and greens modifications were also elemental aspects of the work.

Touquet hosted six French Opens, including a win by Seve Ballesteros in 1977.  While generally not thought much of these days, the French Open has a long history and is the oldest Open on the continent.  JH Taylor, J Braid, W Hagen, H Cotton, B Locke, B Nelson, P Oosterhuis, G Norman, S Lyle, N Faldo and more have made the trip and come away winners.  It is surprising then that the course is a good 10 or so minute walk from the new clubhouse.  This set-up is entirely unsatisfactory for one of the premier courses in the north of France.  The resort doesn’t even offer a buggy service to the first tee.  Instead, golfers walk (or for those in the know, drive to first tee) through the middle of two or three holes on the resort’s lesser courses, whose first tees do start near the house!

Having a championship pedigree, it shouldn’t be surprising that La Mer is a fairly difficult course, especially when the wind is up.  Yet, the legger left par 5 opener isn’t overly onerous.  I do like the hidden swale shy of the green.  In one form or another this is an oft repeated theme throughout the course. That said, unlike Hardelot Les Pins, the course was firm enough to run shots through swales and up to plateau greens.

Turning back on the opener, the second is a downhill par 3.  Many tee shots will wind up in a chipping area to the rear of this original green (one of a handful remaining today).

A look at the hole from the 10th tee offers a good idea as to the scrubby, natural apperance of the site.

Playing through a saddle, the 3rd looks quite interesting, but it is a straight-forward hole. 

I believe the house used to be located left of the third green as this 1937 aerial seems to indicate. The reader will also notice the proximity of the sea in the upper part of the photo.

An unexciting three-shotter, the 4th does offer some respite from the field-like experience with a raised green.

The next two holes feel slightly awkward and may not be part of the original routing.  The 5th is a hole which is difficult to commit to memory.  Although, I am quite partial to the fall-away green.  At first glance, the 6th is a bit dull.  Upon further reflection, I like the widened fairway out right to create a fake dogleg.  There is also a beautiful swale left of the green which will suck slightly underhit approaches away from the putting surface. 

The quality of La Mer shines through in the middle section.  I am not positive, but I suspect the lion's share of orginal greens are in this section.  The quasi-Redan 7th is a severe version of the concept because the hole doesn't really allow for a run-up shot to access a far left hole location. 

Many tee shots will go long.

The thrilling 8th feels constrained, but ample fairway is out of sight on the right.  There is a pond lurking left which looks like it isn't original. 

The fairly large green is well above the fairway floor and runs back to front. 

A long, legging right par 4, which on the day was beating back into the wind, the 9th plays like a par 4.5.
[img width=800https://live.staticflickr.com/65535/48096527893_956ac41663_b.jpghttp://http://http://From this angle the false front is very evident.

Perhaps the best short hole on the course, the 10th plays over valley to a green which is smaller than one might predict.

There is very little green surface behind the fronting bunker.

Another banger par 4, the 11th plays even longer than the 9th.

A great many people will be left with a shot of this type length for their 3rd.

The green rests on a saddle ridge which connects the two dunes.

Another hole which looks like a breather, the 12th is deceptive due to the plateau green.

We now come to "lost holes" (13-16) which were recently re-incorporated into the design.  If these holes were meant to put La Mer over the top into the class of best in Europe I am not sure success was achieved.  This section strikes me as disjointed mainly because of the un-Colt-like walks between holes, but also because of the blind water on 14 and the rather listless 15th.  Although, having the terrible 17th follow-on from these holes is enough to taint anyone's opinion.  One positive aspect of the these holes is they are certainly more keen with better greens. The best of these holes is probably the 13th, although the green is somewhat reminiscent of the 11th.  To access the right hole location one can play left toward OOB and run a shot up the slope. 

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 05, 2022, 05:35:14 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Malcolm Mckinnon

Re: Pas de Calais: LE TOUQUET LA MER 1-13
« Reply #1 on: June 24, 2019, 10:08:28 PM »
Hi Sean,

I did a weekend in Pas de Calais three years ago in April and played La Mer and also Hardelot les Pins.

Both rounds were spoiled by the pace of play, 6 hours. I walked off La Mer in disgust after enduring 15 holes of waiting on every shot. Les Pins was the same story as I had to make a dinner date in Yper, Belgium I walked off again after completing about 3/4 of the round.

Swore off resort golf in continental Europe for good after that experience.

As for the golf, both courses had work in process happening while I was there.

At La Mer the opening holes I found quite dull but then things picked up with the redan on forward. I liked the work that Frank Pont had completed. At Les Pins they seemed to be installing waste bunkers on a few holes which had me scratching my head. The Simpson bunkering was so artful in itself, I couldn't help but feel that they were screwing up big time.

Sean_A

Re: Pas de Calais: LE TOUQUET LA MER 1-13 New
« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2019, 06:27:55 AM »
Malcolm

I like La Mer's opening two holes!  I agree, 3-6 are not the stuff legends are made of. 

La Mer Tour Cont.

I find La Mer's 14th very puzzling.  First, there was a long par 3 walk to the tee.  That may be due to the 13th not being an original hole.  In any case, its hard to fathom that Colt would have been okay with such a long walk to a tee for hole which is in no way special.  Second, blind water. I understand that these were meant to be Colt restoration holes, but I wonder with so much that isn't original Colt, might it have been a reasonable choice to better integrate the 14th with the 13th?  I don't mind the raised green, it is in keeping with the style of many of La Mer's greens.  However, unless there are issues with drainage, I would rather have seen the water used better for the approach rather than harrassing the drive.  The 15th is a rather listless par 5, not bad, but nothing of note.  Which takes us to the short 16th.  Again, I am not sure if this is a Colt green, but the hole is quite good regardless. 

The penultimate hole is one of the worst I have seen associated with a Colt design.  The hole basically trudges over uninteresting, but very steep terrain to access the 18th tee. I saw this view of 17 few holes previously so I knew that 17 was problematic. 

From a pulpit tee, we launch the final drive straight back down the hill that was just climbed. 

Despite the illusion of a half-pipe fairway, it is better to approach from the left to take advantage of the slope.

One will notice there is no house in sight...that is because there is no house for La Mer.  Strangely, it feels like the course is not part of the resort and I wonder how many people get back into their cars and don't bother stopping at the house for a drink.  I know if we knew to drive the car to course, our group would likely have moved on.  I found La Mer to be a very disjointed course which was an unpleasant walk.  Granted, having walked roughly an extra five holes to get to and from the course doesn't help.  Regardless, there are too many added walks on the course which detracted from the cohesion of the game.  For sure, there are several very good holes in 2, 7, 8, 10 & 11, but I am not sure if the best holes are good enough to outweigh the dull and/or perplexing holes.

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 09:44:04 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

Re: Pas de Calais: LE TOUQUET LA MER
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2019, 07:18:26 AM »
Thanks for the tour.
Seems like a fine piece of terrain but one with several different styles of maintenance/architecture present. A shame to hear about the walks and the course-Clubhouse distance issue.
As to pace of play, would I be correct in saying that this a particular issue in Continental Europe in comparison to say the UK?
atb

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2019, 12:13:23 PM »
Thanks for the tour.
Seems like a fine piece of terrain but one with several different styles of maintenance/architecture present. A shame to hear about the walks and the course-Clubhouse distance issue.
As to pace of play, would I be correct in saying that this a particular issue in Continental Europe in comparison to say the UK?
atb

ATB

We were held up a bit at La Mer as you can see by the photos.  But it wasn't a huge issue. I've experience worse in GB&I.

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 02, 2019, 11:03:11 PM by Sean_A »

Niall C

« Reply #5 on: June 29, 2019, 09:51:49 AM »
Sean

I think everyone in the group was unanimous about the 17th. In concept it reminded me a lot of the 17th at Rosses Point, also a Colt course. Personally I'd rather play a good golf hole even if it meant a bit of a hike after it, rather than have the hike playing an indifferent or poor hole like the two mentioned.

Also agree with comments on 14th. Stick a tee on the back of the 13th green and play the 14th from there as a par 5. The 4 or 5 tee boxes spread over 100 to 150 yards (?) and with a good hike to get to the first of them, wasted a lot of good golfing ground.

Also, what's the deal with the "green" to the rear of the 13th green ?

That said, I enjoyed the round and I think with a few revisions (whether they are Colt inspired or not) the course could be a belter.

Niall

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #6 on: June 30, 2019, 05:28:00 PM »
Here is a photo of the sign posted at #13 explaining the work done to restore 13-16.

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

Sean_A

« Reply #7 on: July 04, 2019, 04:46:25 AM »
Sean

I think everyone in the group was unanimous about the 17th. In concept it reminded me a lot of the 17th at Rosses Point, also a Colt course. Personally I'd rather play a good golf hole even if it meant a bit of a hike after it, rather than have the hike playing an indifferent or poor hole like the two mentioned.

Also agree with comments on 14th. Stick a tee on the back of the 13th green and play the 14th from there as a par 5. The 4 or 5 tee boxes spread over 100 to 150 yards (?) and with a good hike to get to the first of them, wasted a lot of good golfing ground.

Also, what's the deal with the "green" to the rear of the 13th green ?

That said, I enjoyed the round and I think with a few revisions (whether they are Colt inspired or not) the course could be a belter.

Niall

IMO Sligo's 17 and La Mer's 17th are very different holes.  The incline is much worse at La Mer...remember, you can get up at Sligo from the bottom...no chance at La Mer....its a horrible hole.  For the most part, I disagree about hiking.  I don't want to hike between holes unless I am getting something very, special. 

Looking at the map, it looks like the 15th green may be in a different location than Colt's original routing. I also wonder why the a new 16th was built.  What was wrong with the original green site and tee? 

Ciao

John Mayhugh

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2019, 01:16:07 PM »
Sean,
Granted it's been five years since I played La Mer, but never had the impression of there being a lot of extra walking. We did drive to the course from the shop, but I can't remember how we knew to do that.

I didn't mind the green site for the 17th, but think it would be better if the hole were a bit shorter. At 500 yards, players like me have no incentive to even try to get close to the green.

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2019, 04:27:38 AM »
Tucky

It was only the section of newly done holes which seemed to have more modern spacing and hence extra walks... with the 14th being a crazy walk...completely out of character with the rest of the course.

Ciao

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2019, 06:38:29 AM »
Sean,
Granted it's been five years since I played La Mer, but never had the impression of there being a lot of extra walking. We did drive to the course from the shop, but I can't remember how we knew to do that.

I didn't mind the green site for the 17th, but think it would be better if the hole were a bit shorter. At 500 yards, players like me have no incentive to even try to get close to the green.

The green site for 17 is fine, that's where Colt and Alison originally put it. It's the bloody hill in front of it that is a disaster. The valley to the left, through which the hole used to run, climbs much more steadily to the green.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2019, 06:48:16 AM »
Sean,

The green site for 17 is fine, that's where Colt and Alison originally put it. It's the bloody hill in front of it that is a disaster. The valley to the left, through which the hole used to run, climbs much more steadily to the green.

Adam..is the Colt hole shorter?

Ciao

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back