News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Lustrous LEVEN LINKS New
« on: May 30, 2019, 05:42:03 AM »
Lundin Mill Club was formed in 1868 which prompted the original 1846 Leven nine hole course to be expanded to 18 holes east of the Mile Dyke.  It is believed Old Tom Morris was engaged for a second time to carry out the work, the first visit being in 1865 for bunker advice.  This new design was played from both ends of the links, a flaw which would inevitably be the downfall of the course.  In a modern sense, the Leven Links may be the first 18 hole course with 18 greens and fairways. In any case, with four clubs using the links the situation of two starting points couldn’t last forever.  In 1909 the course was split at the Mile Dyke with Lundin hiring James Braid to extend their half of the property up the hill and Leven appropriated the football grounds on the far side of the Bowling Club to complete its new design of 18 holes. 

Leven’s new holes are 6-12, 16 & 17.  Although some of the holes are flat, generally, Leven’s new holes settle in better with old holes compared to Lundin. Amongst what is terrificly humpty bumpty terrain, 6 and 16 possess little in the way of geographic interest.  However, the long 6th plays hard along OOB down the right as does the 16th.  The latter hole enjoys the benefit of playing back into town.  Fortunately, the three remaining clubs; Leven Thistle, Leven Golfing Society and Lundin play the (nearly) original 18 hole design for the McDonald Trophy.  Of course, playing over the Dyke as was originally the case is no longer done.  Leven’s third hole has been re-routed closer to Largo Bay.  Leven’s 18th used a different tee and I believe originally had a host of bunkers to add to the troubles of length and the Scoonie Burn.  This temporary layout must be one of the best courses in the British Isles.  The course consists of Leven 1-5, Lundin 15-18 & 1-5, Leven 13-15 & 18.   

In addition to sharing a boundary, Lundin & Leven also commence in similar fashion with four good two-shotters snaking along Largo Bay followed by a par three played along the course boundary.  What is difficult to come to grips with is how much Leven has changed due to taming the land and the build-up along the bay.  When CBM saw the course the first would have looked like this! While not the harsh task as coming home, the renowned Scoonie Burn must still be negotiated  8) .

While the course has been subdued compared to 130 years ago, there remains a raw quality which is intense. Below is the approach to the first green.

The second is much shorter and instead of tackling the plateau on the approach we are asked to so on the drive.  There is a bail area right which isn't a great way to play the hole, but it can work.

Mercy has been shown for those with a wayard drive right.  A lovely notch cut through the dune offers some respite.

There is, however, the matter of wing bunkers which protect the right side of the green.

Clinging to the bay, the 3rd doesn't have the dramatic terrain of the opening two holes, but it gets the job done.

The fine start continues with the 4th, a 434 yard bruiser which brings us to the Lundin Links boundary.  The appealing humpty bumpty terrain is very evident throughout most of the course. 

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: February 09, 2020, 06:42:42 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

Re: Lustrous LEVEN LINKS 1-4
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2019, 11:20:27 AM »
I really like the way you get a little peek at the flag and a small portion of the green in the third colour photo. Anticipation with confusion. Very nice.
Atb

Sean_A

Re: Lustrous LEVEN LINKS 1-4 New
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2019, 03:29:09 AM »
LEVEN LINKS CONT

The 5th is a moderate length par 3 whose large green has more movement than is easily detected without experience.

A fairly long walk brings us to the far boundary of the property for the three-shot 6th with OOB down the right.  Another short hole follows, and it is of the same general ilk as the 5th, that is a carry shot to a large green slightly below the tee.   

The fairways were a bit scrappy, but the rough was extremely well presented. 

OOB is strongly advertised down the right of the 8th, but the slightly dogleg right fairway also showcases wonderful terrain. 

The OOB line is extremely tight to the green!

The third short hole in five holes comes at the 9th. Leven certainly looks very much like a parkland course on this side of the property, but it remains keen!  I suspect these less than links visuals and the fairly unattractive shoreline conspire to keep Leven lower in the rankings than it deserves.

After a less than satisfactory tee shot I decided to chat with a few rabbit hunters who were spotted prowling the course on the 5th.  I admit I was a bit freaked out by seeing hunters on a golf course...very unsettling that.  Apparently, these chaps have a license to hunt 24 hours a day!  It might be interesting to read research on the effect camouflage has on rabbits.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 19, 2022, 10:50:20 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Scott Warren

Re: Lustrous LEVEN LINKS 1-9
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2019, 11:20:53 AM »
You gonna make me beg like a dog for the back nine?!

Tony_Muldoon

Re: Lustrous LEVEN LINKS 1-4
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2019, 02:17:16 AM »

Modern lightweight equipment, telescoping sighting and "bullets" that fly so much straighter and further. Not to mention spikeless boots and Goretex.

How the old game has changed, but remained essentially the same.
Let's make GCA grate again!

Scott Warren

Re: Lustrous LEVEN LINKS 1-9
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2019, 04:17:34 AM »

LOL Tony.

I probably would have liked to have been made aware before we started that blokes in cammo might appear out of nowhere carrying what appeared to be high-powered rifles. I honestly almost dived into a bunker.

Sean_A

Re: Lustrous LEVEN LINKS 1-9 New
« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2019, 05:34:52 AM »
LEVEN TOUR CONT

Heading away from Scoonie Burn, the 10th is a short par 4 which is probably reachable for a decent percentage of players in the right conditions.  The fairway interplaying with gorse is the hole's defense.  If a drive is slightly tugged the fairway will kick it towards the evil yellow weed leaving the golfer in the lap of the gods. 

Longer hitters who keep their drive in play will have a very good birdie opportunity. 

Playing downwind, the 11th can be troublesome due to the fronting bunkers.

Not highlight holes, back to back three-shotters is a difficult trick to pull off.  At least 12 & 13 head in opposite directions which makes one a birdie opportunity.  The following hole is wonderfully uncommon.  Flat bellies will want to bash a driver as close as is possible to the green for this shortish par 4.  However, to dial back these instincts there is gorse protecting the left side of the fairway which will often be a good angle of approach.  For normal hitters, driving left is just about the only way to get anywhere near the hole when the course is keen.  It may seem quite busy, but the hole has four main features.  There are two right to left diagonal gashes cutting through the fairway, the second abutting the false fronted green!  These features create a centre line plateau fairway which feeds toward a bunker.  The fourth feature is essentially another gash running through the middle of the green from left to right.  The false front and green gash effectively create a plateau.  Where the hole is located, even with a head wind is a very tough ask.  I can't believe this hole wasn't burned in my memory as it is simply one of the best short 4s I have ever encountered.  Suffice it to say, I won't forget this hole again!

Gash #1 in the right foreground.

Plateau fairway.

Gash #2 and false front.  I wonder if there was originally more fairway left?

In this photo the reader can just make out the gash (half pipe) in the green which runs madly away from play.  This a remarkable hole that should be counted among the best in Scotland.

More to follow.

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 15, 2019, 03:59:04 AM by Sean_A »

Sean_A

Re: Lustrous LEVEN LINKS 1-14
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2019, 04:50:57 AM »
LEVEN LINKS TOUR CONT

After the 14th practically any hole on the planet would seem unremarkable.  Leven's 15th isn't special, but it does require precise shot-making.  Not only is this par 3 long, there is harsh rough immediately right and to the rear of the green.  The putting surface, however, is not without interest. 

A long par 4 playing over a rise, the 16th brings us fully back into town over decidedly more meadowy turf.  The 17th tee is in the same spot as when the Leven side of the links was extended to 18 holes.  Immediately adjacent to the tee is the Bowling Club.

Fighting the urge to play over the bowling pitch to the 18th green, the hole is capped by a huge sloping green.

If it isn't the case, the home hole should be one of the iconic 18ths in Scotland.  Not overly interesting, the semi-blind drive offers plenty of space to cheat left.  It is the second shot which gets heads tilting.  Can I make the carry over the infernal Scoonie Burn?  Unless there is a strong tailwind, most will settle for trusting to the wedge and putter. 

The ball collecting gangway is a nice touch.

As was the case with Crail and The New, after a long intermission between games, I am much more impressed with Leven than I expected.  The land is generally perfect for golf with plenty of movement and no hill climbing.  I really enjoyed the variety of 4s and 5s and the use of OOB.  Leven doesn't get it all perfect, but there are more than enough positives to warrant a future visit. 

The proshop.

Having hosted Open Championship Final Qualifying on six occassions, the Leven clubs are rightfully proud of the historical links with the course.  However, it is the adherence to the amateur game which is of special note.  The Leven Golfing Society hosts the Standard Life Open Amateur Stroke-Play Championship, an event which dates back to 1870.  The Gold Medal prize is older than the Claret Jug.  Not to outdo the Gold Medal, but the Lindsay Shield, an interclub match between Leven, Carnoustie and St Andrews, has roots going back 150 years!  These events may be minor players in the history of Scottish golf, but they are no less important when it comes to the rank and file membership.  Do yourself a favour and don't delay a date with Leven.  2019

Ciao
« Last Edit: June 05, 2019, 09:03:41 AM by Sean_A »

David Druzisky

Re: Lustrous LEVEN LINKS
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2019, 10:03:33 AM »
Looks fun!  Thanks.

Jay Mickle

« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2019, 08:58:15 AM »
You continue to add to my list of courses I hope to play. Thanks
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

John Mayhugh

« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2019, 12:34:33 PM »
Sean,Thanks for a terrific tour. For once, I can look at one of these and not think - I must play there. Instead, I'm thinking how much I hope to play it again. There are a number of terrific holes, and I enjoyed the flow of the course (other than a detour to look for a lost laser). If only I had gotten to shoot the pellet gun.

The 14th alone is worth a visit.

Michael Wolf

« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2019, 09:28:55 PM »
I think I last inquired fairly recently, but can anyone provide any advice on how a visitor could play the original routing?

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #12 on: June 06, 2019, 02:39:53 AM »
I think I last inquired fairly recently, but can anyone provide any advice on how a visitor could play the original routing?

Michael,
You can’t.
The only way would be to join one of the Clubs for the year! That would cost you 500 quid or so. Be well worth it!
Cheers,
F.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2019, 04:26:39 PM »
Did you not get a photo of the Standard Life medal winners board?
M.

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: June 12, 2019, 04:28:37 AM »
M.

FBD

Nope

Ciao

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #15 on: June 12, 2019, 05:29:08 PM »
M.

FBD

Nope

Ciao

In which case, here we go:

1893 is the year to check out. Dear Harry won!
F.

Thomas Dai

Re: Lustrous LEVEN LINKS New
« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2019, 02:25:46 PM »

Once upon a time, a long, long time ago .....

atb

« Last Edit: June 23, 2019, 01:26:39 PM by Thomas Dai »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back