News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re: Sand Valley 3 "will be just over 6,000 yards and par will be 67 or 68"
« Reply #150 on: October 24, 2018, 11:02:16 AM »
Now that we have more ball references/comments to titillate a group of high school freshman...

Any updates on the new course?  When will the first shovel be thrust in-and-out into the sandbox...

Tom_Doak

« Reply #151 on: October 24, 2018, 10:25:34 PM »
Now that we have more ball references/comments to titillate a group of high school freshman...

Any updates on the new course?  When will the first shovel be thrust in-and-out into the sandbox...

I will be there in two weeks to walk around with the client(s).  They will probably do a bit of clearing this winter, but there is no plan to start shaping anything in 2019 ... which is just as well as I have 2-4 other new projects to break ground on.  If it's only two instead of four, I might lobby to do a bit of shaping this time next year.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #152 on: October 25, 2018, 12:05:20 AM »
@ Tom Doak

Have you visited LuLu yet? If not, it's great place to study a short course:

https://course.bluegolf.com/bluegolf/course/course/lulucc/actual.htm

http://myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/LuLu/index.html

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #153 on: October 25, 2018, 09:42:45 AM »
If John Kavanaugh thinks the likes of Swinley Forest, Rye or West Sussex are hybrid golf he clearly hasn’t played much decent golf.
Cave Nil Vino

Tom_Doak

« Reply #154 on: October 25, 2018, 12:20:31 PM »
@ Tom Doak

Have you visited LuLu yet? If not, it's great place to study a short course:

http://myphillygolf.com/uploads/bausch/LuLu/index.html

I have not, but I do have to get to Stonewall next year, so maybe I will have time.

Carl Rogers

Bump .... TD, has the health crisis affected the project?
SV is on my bucket list, but want to wait until your course is open.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

Tom_Doak

Bump .... TD, has the health crisis affected the project?
SV is on my bucket list, but want to wait until your course is open.

Unfortunately, it is on hiatus.  No construction this year, apart from the clearing they've been doing. 

Maybe not next year, either.

Buck Wolter

Judging by how busy the resort was this weekend they may rethink that but you can't blame anyone for a wait and see approach -- I went up by the cabin and took a peak.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Carl Nichols

Judging by how busy the resort was this weekend they may rethink that but you can't blame anyone for a wait and see approach -- I went up by the cabin and took a peak.

Just golf, or rooms/food as well?

Buck Wolter

Just golf, or rooms/food as well?

Saturday was busy on all the courses from what I could see, we couldn't get on the sandbox after our round at SV and there were people playing until well after dark-- the restaurant was grab and go or room service only so it was hard to tell how busy it was. The lodge we were in the parking was full --lot's of Illinois and Minnesota plates. Sunday was horrible weather so only a few crazies were out-- Brad Hill, my son and I didn't see anyone until we were on the back 9.
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Bob_Garvelink

I am waking up at 2am to drive to Nekoosa to play 45 holes and it was extremely tough to get a tee time for a twosome so hopefully this trend continues.  This will be my first trip and I am pumped :)
"Pure Michigan"

Morgan Clawson

I'm disappointed that construction has been halted.  I went to SV twice last month and hoped to see an active construction site.

I walked over to Sedge Valley and took a few pictures.  At this point there are 5 holes - 1,2,16,17,18 - that have been cleared, groomed, and ready for shaping.

Hole 1 has a neat ridge that runs along the right side of the hole and will accelerate balls to the side.  This picture is taken close to the green location and looking back toward the tee, so the ridge is on the left.  I am interested in seeing how the green will interact with this ridge.

Hole 2 is very visually appealing and climbs up the hill.  The 16th hole can be seen through the pines.  I like that this stand of pines is a nod to Sand Valley's former life as a commercial tree farm.

Hole 16 comes down the same hill that was used for hole 2.  These were taken from near the the green site and look back up the hole.
Hole 16 works down the same hill that was used for #2.  These pictures are taken from near the green looking back up the hole.

Hole 17 has a significant right to left slope.  Taken near the tee.
Hole 17's fairway has a significant right to left slope.  Taken from near the tee.

Hole 18 climbs gently uphill.
Hole 18 works gently uphill.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2021, 02:42:24 PM by Morgan Clawson »

George Myers

« Reply #162 on: January 18, 2021, 04:23:50 PM »
any update on sedge valley, still on hiatus?

only curious

Drew Harvie

« Reply #163 on: January 18, 2021, 05:22:23 PM »

only curious

I believe the reports say it's still on hiatus, with Lido taking priority

Tom_Doak

« Reply #164 on: January 18, 2021, 06:25:15 PM »

only curious

Correct.

PCCraig

« Reply #165 on: January 18, 2021, 08:23:42 PM »

only curious

Correct.

Is it confirmed that Sedge Valley will be built as designed in the future as the next project at SV after the Lido?

Personally, the Sedge Valley course and a true homage to the English heathland courses sounded far more interesting than a reproduction of the Lido in Wisconsin. But maybe I'm in the super minority.
H.P.S.

Morgan Clawson

« Reply #166 on: January 21, 2021, 12:16:21 PM »
Pat -
Today's story from wisconsin.golf indicates that the Keisers are still committed to Sedge Valley. Here are a couple of paragraphs from the story:
 - - -
The Keisers already had hired Doak and his Renaissance Golf Design team to build Sedge Valley, which would have been the third 18-hole course at Sand Valley. The coronavirus pandemic and economic uncertainty put Sedge Valley on hold, however, and with The Lido fully funded by founding members, the projects were flipped.

“Sedge Valley is certainly in the future,” Michael said. “We still need the money to pay for it, so we’re still trying to figure out how to finance it. Right now, we’re focused on this. The Lido is our third course and resort guests will be able to play it, so we’re not going to rush to Sedge Valley. We’ll build it when it’s appropriate to build it.”
- - -
With Lido and Sedge Valley completed, Sand Valley will have a very eclectic portfolio of courses to choose from.  I can't think of another resort with such high-quality variety.

Here's a link to the full story that has a lot of good info and quotes:

https://www.wisconsin.golf/courses/the-lido-reborn-keiser-brothers-tom-doak-teaming-to-re-create-a-long-lost-gem/article_f5d1dc1c-5b6a-11eb-8ad0-4f23417c26db.html

Tom_Doak

« Reply #167 on: January 21, 2021, 03:11:39 PM »
I actually spoke to Michael about the project yesterday.  It's probably 2-4 years away now, and who knows what will happen in the meantime?  But they are still committed to it, and we discussed a few things we might do on it over the next year or two so the areas where we might do earthwork will have time to revegetate naturally.

I actually haven't seen it since the first three holes were cleared, it will be nice to go back and have a walk around.  They had cleared seven or eight holes before they shut down that work last March.

PCCraig

« Reply #168 on: January 21, 2021, 05:50:46 PM »
Glad to hear its still moving forward. Suppose it makes sense that they are building the "private" course first, considering they need the member fees to actually pay for it.

Not sure what that says about the golf resort model if Sand Valley, which is absolutely packed with players paying $250+ round, can't get financing for Sedge Valley post Covid.  :o
H.P.S.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #169 on: January 21, 2021, 06:18:41 PM »
Based on what I spent last summer for two nights/two rounds, cart with caddy they should be well on their way to getting enough money for Sedge Valley.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back