News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Luffness Sidebar: BRUNTSFIELD LINKS SHORT COURSE New
« on: July 09, 2018, 05:24:28 AM »
Plan of the original six holes.

Instead of taking lunch at Luffness, we drove into the heart of Edinburgh that morning to visit the hallowed ground of Bruntsfield Links and the Golf Tavern across the street.  By the mid 19th century there were at least dozen clubs playing over the links. Course congestion was so severe Edinburgh City Council opened Braid Hills in 1893.

The Bruntsfield Links GS was established in 1761 and played over these links which consisted of six holes until the society decamped to Musselburgh in 1876 due to course congestion.  The Royal Burgess GS (in 1735 known as Burghers) also played its golf at Bruntsfield until it moved to Musselburgh in 1874.  The Honourable Company of Edinburgh Golfers had their start at Bruntsfield and eventually moved to Leith in 1744. In 1895 the 36 hole course was established on the Bruntsfield Links and is now called the Short Course which the City of Edinburgh own and maintain.  There is no cost if you bring your own equipment.  Balls and clubs can be rented at the Golf Tavern across the street near the 1st tee. The pub claims to be the oldest golf clubhouse in the world.

Of course there is a club!

If you like the Himalayas  in St Andrews a visit to the Short Course is right up your alley.  No photos of the course...experience it for yourself.  I will say that with only a wedge in hand, this course is as much fun as any I have played.  I will likely never see the course again, but I plan to join because if any golf program deserves support this is it!

Himalayas
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,63200.msg1504781.html#msg1504781

Luffness New
www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,66102.0.html

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 18, 2023, 06:46:12 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Thomas Dai

Re: Sidebar: BRUNTSFIELD LINKS SHORT COURSE
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 05:52:18 AM »
:):):)
Atb

Jay Mickle

« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 02:50:51 PM »
I stayed at the Bruntsfield Hotel across from the course when in Edinburgh for Ran's wedding. I showed up late to walk the bride down the aisle and have not heard the last of it. Perhaps it would have been excusable if I had been playing the Links. I even had my hickory clubs but alas, no time.
@MickleStix on Instagram
MickleStix.com

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2018, 04:19:42 AM »
I stayed at the Bruntsfield Hotel across from the course when in Edinburgh for Ran's wedding. I showed up late to walk the bride down the aisle and have not heard the last of it. Perhaps it would have been excusable if I had been playing the Links. I even had my hickory clubs but alas, no time.

Shades

That is a lame excuse  ;) You didn't have 30 minutes to walk outside and kick the ball around for 10 holes or so?  We only played about 12 holes near the pub, but we got the idea.  One club skins...the course was actually in good nick....there were several putts made blading wedges. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2018, 08:52:54 PM »
I am embarrassed to say that I have passed alongside on Lothian Bus for years going back and forth from our flat in Morningside and, while aware of the Old Bruntsfield Links, never was enticed to give it a go.

On March 13th, 2018 the New York Times published an article entitled "Wattery Filth: Original Rules Show a Rougher Game" in their sports section regarding changes in rules of golf.  The illustration with the article shows some 18th century Scottish toffs enjoying one of the putting surfaces and with the background view of the castle I immediately realized it was Bruntsfield.

Next time in Edinburgh will check it out! Thanks for the tip Sean!

If you go, one of my favorite restaurants in Edinburgh, Three Birds, is nearby in Bruntsfield. Get the "Big Cow" for two to share!

Malcolm Mckinnon

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 11:15:33 PM »
Link to NYTimes article with Bruntsfield golfers illustration![/size][/color][/size]https://www.nytimes.com/2018/03/13/sports/golf/original-rules-1744.html[/color]

Sean_A

Re: Sidebar: BRUNTSFIELD LINKS SHORT COURSE New
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 03:48:41 AM »
I am embarrassed to say that I have passed alongside on Lothian Bus for years going back and forth from our flat in Morningside and, while aware of the Old Bruntsfield Links, never was enticed to give it a go.

For shame!

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 01, 2019, 04:46:09 AM by Sean_A »

Tim Gallant

Re: Luffness Sidebar: BRUNTSFIELD LINKS SHORT COURSE
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 08:36:02 AM »
When I first came to the UK, I stayed in the old school-looking building, that overlooks the Bruntsfield Links. I remember my first day in Edinburgh, looking down and seeing the links below, and the castle above. What a place. Back then, the bar was an absolute dive that was mainly used by students Now, it is a pretty plush pub that has embraced its heritage and golfing roots.

The course itself is a fun knock around. Note: the course that Sean talks about is open from 15 April - 15 October. The rest of the year they give the turf a rest and put a wee 9 hole course in the lower part of the park. Still fun, but tends to get quite wet.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back