News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Abnormal ANSTRUTHER GC New
« on: May 26, 2018, 07:04:13 AM »
Anstruther is a winning town less than 10 miles from St Andrews which is famous for its fish n' chips shop.  While close to the Auld Grey Toon, the type of golf played is 100 years distant; unassuming and rudimentary.  One comes to a course such as this in the hope of finding some good scenery and the odd brilliant or unusual hole. Like much of coastal Fife, the views check out marvellously and the wildly audacious fifth hole (Rockies) certainly fills the prescription.  Yes, there are a few mundane holes, but these can be easily forgotten while reminiscing over a plate of fish n’ chips after the round. 

When the club was founded in 1891 there were seven holes at Billowness. Not two years later the lower land where the first and ninth fairways are located was leased, thus making it possible to create a 9 hole course.  Several changes were made before a final routing was settled on in 1916. The numbering was altered to accommodate the new clubhouse location at the bottom of the hill. One suspects that Old Tom Morris must have had something to do with the development of Anstruther, but that doesn’t appear to be the case with the present course, for once!

The first is a dull hole which rather reminds me of a milder version of the opener at North Berwick’s East Links.  Skipping to the second, things shape up dramatically.  A short one-shotter (one of five par 3s) playing to the sea, this hole is set off by a WWI Memorial.  May Island is in the background and it is possible to take ferries there.

A closer look reveals the proximity of the town.

One panel of inscribed names; all men who died in the Great War...in total there are 49 men memorialized.

The third isn't much to speak of, but the 4th re-opened the eyes.  On the left is the original clubhouse which could only fit 6 golfers at a time! Hugging the coastline, this short 4 begs golfers to bang away.  A safer approach may be to treat this as a dogleg right by using the adjacent 3rd fairway. Although, as I discovered to my cost, the larger building on the left (the old second clubhouse seen in the 2nd and 3rd photos, which now houses the water tank) can create a blind shot situation.

Even if one isn't blocked out by the house, there is a bothersome wall in play.

The green isn't without interest.

Who said patriotism is dead?

Now then, to the Rockies and the start of a remarkable trio of short holes.  I am not convinced any of the three are great, but they are certainly awesome holes.  Pittenweem, the next town down the coast, is in the background.

The 6th.

The 7th.

The 8th was recently re-worked, but compared to what came earlier, its simply walking through green grass. The long par 3 ninth isn't a special hole, but it does afford lovely views of Anstruther. The house is the white building to the right.  Judging by how crowded it was, Rockies Restaurant must serve very good food.   

One final look at Anstruther from the parking lot.

I must admit to being taken by Anstruther.  I am impressed that so much development of the course and house was done by the hand of members as this must foster a real sense of what a club is about.  I am not sure I would recommend folks play Anstruther, but I hope to return someday. 2018

Ciao
« Last Edit: July 23, 2022, 01:26:06 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Ben Attwood

Re: Abnormal ANSTRUTHER GC
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2018, 08:27:07 AM »
Thanks for bringing back some memories Sean. As a group of students we had very fun evening 9 here followed by fish and chips. We were drawn by the rockies being the 'toughest par 3 in the UK' - (and the cheap price).

We played it in a sunny gale and it was probably all the better for it. Oh and it was their club champs so the greens were quite slick. A 3 club wind into and impossible to stop it down wind. Crazy golf.

I remember the 1st being a bit of fun. Playing up a steep to hill to a ?skyline green. I think the wind must have made it. At 276 yards as a 22 year old I hit driver then punched half a 7 iron 80 yards onto the green! We also had a co-ordinated long drive contest into the firth from the 5th tee  :D

Thomas Dai

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2018, 12:23:20 PM »
Thanks for the tour. I’ve heard about the 5th a few times so nice to see some photos.
Appears that the 6th and 7th holes are crossover holes and that in general it’s a course where keeping an eye out for incoming 1:68” missiles is in order.
Atb

Bob Montle

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 01:41:57 PM »
I love the town, and make it my base for golfing in Fife. It doesn't hurt that I have many friends and acquaintances in "Anster", Cellardyke and Crail.

Did you have any trouble reading putts? I spent fifteen minutes on #9 and I swear that putts broke uphill!

It is a course that one has fun playing and may score worse than you think you should.
"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

Sean_A

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2018, 05:47:07 PM »
I love the town, and make it my base for golfing in Fife. It doesn't hurt that I have many friends and acquaintances in "Anster", Cellardyke and Crail.

Did you have any trouble reading putts? I spent fifteen minutes on #9 and I swear that putts broke uphill!

It is a course that one has fun playing and may score worse than you think you should.

I don't recall our party having a hard time with putts, though the greens were fairly slow so not much break. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back