News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Warren

Re: Idyllic Oceanside location, great golf: help me out
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2019, 09:08:25 PM »
Thank you all for some fine (and other  ;D ) suggestions.

Mauritius ticks all the boxes, however, because my wife’s family are all in Durban just across the creek from Mauritius, she reckons “that’s one we can do with the kids”.

Otherwise, we seem to have identified that indeed great golf & idyllic spots are not necessarily synonymous. And probably also that Ian Galbraith is a wise man and I ought to heed his advice.

But also that seeing as you need to fly via Singapore/Hong Kong etc to get from Sydney to the Maldives, perhaps we have a few days there and I can fit some in. I did play five times on our honeymoon, so it would be appropriate for me to also jam some golf into this trip!

But also Big Island and Red Bull island probably deserve further investigation.

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2019, 09:41:56 PM »
Four Seasons on Big Island is great.  Unfortunately the Kona Village next door won't be open until at least 2021.  Play Nanea and the hotel course (or maybe Mauna Kea), and then otherwise relax.
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Jason Topp

« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2019, 12:16:49 AM »
What about Capetown with 3 days at Mala Mala added in?  I did not play golf but there would be some available. 

The Society Islands are ideal from an ocean perspective (Bora Bora) and there is golf in Tahiti.  I was there over Christmas.

I am not sure I agree that Cabo is not worth the trip.  If you stay at an upscale place there are not too many better places for a beach trip and the golf is very good. 

Kevin_Reilly

« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2019, 12:26:34 AM »
Re: Cabo...this would be a great spot.  https://www.montagehotels.com/loscabos/experiences/golf/
"GOLF COURSES SHOULD BE ENJOYED RATHER THAN RATED" - Tom Watson

Michael Goldstein

« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2019, 01:54:03 AM »
My first thought was the Isle of Harris - show her the photos of Luskentyre Beach....

But assuming you also want to be able to swim in the impossibly blue water then I'd look at SE Asia but I think you're going to struggle to satisfy both requirements.
@Pure_Golf

James Bennett

« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2019, 02:05:07 AM »
Scottt
you seem to have this sorted - just a correction to my earlier post.My niece's honeymoon was on Reunion Island, not Mauritius
Bob; its impossible to explain some of the clutter that gets recalled from the attic between my ears. .  (SL Solow)

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2019, 03:22:40 AM »
Dornoch ticks all the boxes on your list but I doubt your wife would thank you for it  ;D
I was going to point out that Bamburgh had all the things Scott's looking for....

and it has a castle too!!! Of course being so much further south it is bound to have a milder climate for the sunbathers. Hell, England now has more distilleries than north of the border as well  :-X :D

Terry Thornton

« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2019, 05:04:51 AM »

My wife wants an idyllic ocean holiday — unspoilt sandy beaches, impossibly blue water, the sun blazing in clear skies.

She may not realise it yet but she clearly wants to go to Anderson Bay

Mark Pearce

« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2019, 05:18:56 AM »
Dornoch ticks all the boxes on your list but I doubt your wife would thank you for it  ;D
I was going to point out that Bamburgh had all the things Scott's looking for....

and it has a castle too!!! Of course being so much further south it is bound to have a milder climate for the sunbathers. Hell, England now has more distilleries than north of the border as well  :-X :D
Having seen the look on Scott's face when he tried his first Laphroig, I don't know how attractive the distilleries might be.....
In June I will be riding the first three stages of this year's Tour de France route for charity.  630km (394 miles) in three days, with 7800m (25,600 feet) of climbing for the William Wates Memorial Trust (https://rideleloop.org/the-charity/) which supports underprivileged young people.

Matt Dawson

« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2019, 04:11:18 AM »
Scott

I would be a bit cautious about Maldives in September if you are looking for "blazing sun". It's the peak of their wet season and whilst prices are correspondingly at their lowest, it can rain consistently for days on end.

You might be lucky, but just be aware - and non sun/water-based activities are pretty limited on the islands, as dive trips are often cancelled when weather turns

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back