News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Emile Bonfiglio

Rams Hill - Borrego Springs
« on: February 09, 2018, 02:53:08 PM »
Can't find much on this course here, but many places online say it is a great course (top 5 public in CA). Is it worth the drive from the Palm Desert to squeeze in 36 holes?
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Jeff Schley

Re: Rams Hill - Borrego Springs
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2018, 03:18:25 PM »
In place of what?

I think it is a very nice course and one of the top public courses in Southern California.  I like the NC public courses more than SC.

BTW it isn't close, you will be driving at least 90 minutes and Palm Desert is one of the furthest points in all Palm Springs to leave from.  Short answer from me who lived in so cal for 10 years is yes it is.
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

Mark Kiely

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2018, 03:21:14 PM »
Definitely. Really fun layout and always in phenomenal condition.
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

Kalen Braley

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 03:23:39 PM »
Google Maps doesn't appear to be kind to it.  Looks like a few of the holes have been abandoned.....

But could have been a drought related measure...

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 03:33:07 PM »
P.S.  The website uses the word Terroir, with emphasis, at least 3 times on the main page to describe the location.  I learned a new word today...

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 03:52:59 PM »
The original course was a Ted Robinson layout called Ram's Hill; they used to be a popular US Open Qualifying site. They brought Fazio in and converted 9 holes to housing and refigured to 18 holes under the name Montesorro. That went under when the owner hadn't secured sufficient water rights. The course was fallow for over 3 years. A new owner got sufficient water and the place has been open for several years now. The views are great with mountains surrounding three sides of the course with the Salton Sea to the east. Conditioning is immaculate. The holes are good but its essentially cart ball which would probably take it down just a notch in most GCA'ers minds. Still a fun day out especially at this time of year when the weather is perfect. Borrego is a sleepy little town, the Casa del Zorro is a good place for food and lodging.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Emile Bonfiglio

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 04:02:09 PM »
In place of what?

36 at Desert Willow....
You can follow me on twitter @luxhomemagpdx or instagram @option720

Jeff Schley

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 04:06:23 PM »
In place of what?

36 at Desert Willow....

Yeah certainly.  Although convenient to play at one place for 36, I would play the Firecliff course and head on out to Borrego Springs!
"To give anything less than your best, is to sacrifice your gifts."
- Steve Prefontaine

John Crowley

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2018, 12:37:12 AM »
I would rather drive the 90 minutes to Rams Hill (good holes, excellent conditioning, fast green speeds usually, good staff, wonderful unspoiled Desert vistas, good food) than play either course at Desert Willow, Mountain View especially. Even with my discounted resident fee I avoid Desert Willow.

Cory Lewis

« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2018, 08:04:18 AM »
I played Rams Hill for the 1st time last week.  One of the best Fazio courses I've played and I've played a few(87).  IMO it's better than any public course in Palm Springs and absolutely worth the 90 to 120 minute drive to play.  The course was the perfect combination of F&F when I played it.
Instagram: @2000golfcourses
http://2000golfcourses.blogspot.com

Daryl David

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2018, 12:03:51 PM »
An interesting exercise is to look at Fazio’s designs in the area and see how Rams Hill compares considering design, playing conditions, strategy, fun etc.  (ignore private vs public vibe)  A few of my friends did that just last night and this was the concensus ranking. Surprised me at first, but can’t say I disagree much.

1. Quarry
2. Madison Club
3. Rams Hill
4. Vintage Mountain
5. Big Horn Canyons
6. Vintage Desert
7. Grand Del Mar
8. Eldorado (Fazio redo)

Joel_Stewart

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2018, 02:18:05 PM »
I'm pretty sure this course was done by Jackson/Kahn under Fazio's name.

Mark Kiely

« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2018, 12:14:27 PM »
I played Rams Hill yesterday and just thought I'd post to say it's playing exactly how most here on GCA prefer right now: Fairways are fast and firm, while the greens are in great shape but slower than they were a couple years ago. With yesterday's crazy winds, the green speeds from a couple years ago might not have been playable. If you have the chance, get out there before they close for summer.
My golf course photo albums on Flickr: https://goo.gl/dWPF9z

David Stamm

« Reply #13 on: April 30, 2018, 11:18:56 AM »
Can't find much on this course here, but many places online say it is a great course (top 5 public in CA). Is it worth the drive from the Palm Desert to squeeze in 36 holes?

Fwiw, yes, it's definitely worth making the effort.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Jason Topp

« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 12:13:57 PM »
I can't remember much about the course but I do remember thinking it was a really cool location.

Evan_Green

« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2018, 09:33:14 AM »
Not only is the course worth the drive, but the drive itself is very cool from the Palm Springs area. You pass right by the Salton Sea (one of the strangest places in the world) and drive through Anza Borrego State Park with some incredible desert scenery.

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2022, 03:48:45 PM »

Highly rated Rams Hill has big plans for the future

One of the lessons of the past two decades is that golfers are willing to travel significant distances to remote locales for the promise of memorable golf experiences. From Bandon Dunes to Sand Valley to The Prairie Club to Streamsong, among others, we know that if you build something special, golfers will find their way to distant outposts to enjoy it.
Rams Hill Golf Club, though just one course at the moment as opposed to those multi-course resorts, is of a similar pedigree. It’s ranked No. 6 in California against stiff competition and No. 55 nationwide among Golfweek’s Best Resort Courses.
After sitting dormant for several years after the financial crisis, Rams Hill is positioned for growth. It has strong ownership and stable water rights – always a key issue in California – and it has earned critical acclaim. Turner said the goal is to build off that strong foundation.“It would not be surprising to eventually see a resort model that includes a short course, putting course, another 18-hole golf course and on-site accommodations just steps from the clubhouse and the first tee,” Turner said.The foundation for those plans already has been laid, not just with the golf course. As Twiggs said, “Rams Hill has a wonderful clubhouse, a wonderful restaurant. It’s the best restaurant in the area.” That includes an abundance of outdoor seating and a fire pit that allow guests to enjoy the long views of the course and Santa Rosa Mountains.The vision of Considine, Turner and the rest of the staff is to create a must-visit destination for golfers across the West Coast and beyond. “Rams Hill wants to be known as a fun place to stay and play – and be in the conversation among the best golf resorts and destination clubs in the country,” Turner said. “There are so many more ways we want to cater to golfers in the future. We’re just getting started.”

https://golfweek.usatoday.com/2022/02/01/highly-rated-rams-hill-has-big-plans-for-the-future
« Last Edit: February 18, 2022, 03:54:04 PM by Steve_ Shaffer »
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

David Ober

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2022, 11:56:50 AM »
When it's in good shape (and it usually is), Rams Hill is an absolute blast to play. Love it.

Jordan Standefer

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2022, 11:43:04 AM »
Steve,

I was out there in January and the member in my group told me the same about the possibility of a second course. As good as Rams Hill is--and it's really good--it really is in the middle of nowhere. Including a second course, short course, and hotel will make the trip easier and more inviting for people when they visit LA, SD, or Palm Springs.

Matthew Lloyd

« Reply #19 on: February 11, 2024, 11:33:34 PM »
Bumping this thread after playing 4 rounds at Rams Hill over the last 3 days. I concur with everything said above - anyone within a 2 hour drive in Southern California should make a strong effort to play here. It's particularly fun to play twice in the same day so you can get calm conditions in the morning and then gale force winds in the afternoon. The overall feel at the course is great, and they couldn't be more welcoming or accommodating to visitors.

From an aesthetic/design perspective I love the variety of the long par 4s, particularly a memorable stretch on the back nine from #13 (significantly uphill) to #14 (significantly downhill) to an absolute bruiser at over 500 yards at #15. In fact, the entire closing stretch beginning with #13 is superb.

Also features the enjoyable routing of back-to-back par 3s with the drop shot 9th and long carry over water 10th. The concept of back-to-back par 3s seems to be met with enthusiasm on this site when the routing calls for it (Pacific Dunes, Rock Creek for example). 

Other standout long par 4s would be #3 and #8.

Just a really fun course to play - and the scenery/backdrop is tough to beat for the desert - there's something about the mountains being more distant that was appealing to me.

On site lodging and food also excellent which makes the trip that much easier.

As others have said, it's a bit of a drive from LA/SD or even Palm Springs - but in the daylight it's quite scenic and will reveal a pocket of California that many haven't visited.

David Ober

« Reply #20 on: February 18, 2024, 01:48:10 PM »
Bumping this thread after playing 4 rounds at Rams Hill over the last 3 days. I concur with everything said above - anyone within a 2 hour drive in Southern California should make a strong effort to play here. It's particularly fun to play twice in the same day so you can get calm conditions in the morning and then gale force winds in the afternoon. The overall feel at the course is great, and they couldn't be more welcoming or accommodating to visitors.

From an aesthetic/design perspective I love the variety of the long par 4s, particularly a memorable stretch on the back nine from #13 (significantly uphill) to #14 (significantly downhill) to an absolute bruiser at over 500 yards at #15. In fact, the entire closing stretch beginning with #13 is superb.

Also features the enjoyable routing of back-to-back par 3s with the drop shot 9th and long carry over water 10th. The concept of back-to-back par 3s seems to be met with enthusiasm on this site when the routing calls for it (Pacific Dunes, Rock Creek for example). 

Other standout long par 4s would be #3 and #8.

Just a really fun course to play - and the scenery/backdrop is tough to beat for the desert - there's something about the mountains being more distant that was appealing to me.

On site lodging and food also excellent which makes the trip that much easier.

As others have said, it's a bit of a drive from LA/SD or even Palm Springs - but in the daylight it's quite scenic and will reveal a pocket of California that many haven't visited.

As I mentioned earlier, when it's in good shape, it's an absolute blast. I know they are changing their grass and how they overseed/don't, because they had some serious issues with conditions for a couple years, but when they get it right -- it's not just good, it's VERY good, IMHO.

Daryl David

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back