News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Marty Bonnar

In praise of Boat of Garten
« on: September 06, 2016, 08:41:26 PM »
I'm currently lying in bed in our lovely house in Coylumbridge after a splendid day replaying the course at BofG.
On this only my second playing I'm more and more enamoured with this lovely venue.
It has more quirk, natural beauty, incredible views, fun golf holes and homespun charm than should be allowed for a simple golf course.
Please, please, please move away from the seashore when you come to Scotland. You'll appreciate the beauty of my homeland way more when you see the other things we have to offer.

F
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Tom_Doak

Re: In praise of Boat of Garten
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2016, 08:50:40 PM »
Marty:

Good timing, re: Sean Ogle's earlier post on where to play between Glasgow/Loch Lomond and Castle Stuart.  I'd already recommended the Boat to him.  I have to admit, I have not been back there in many years myself, but my memories of my last visit are still quite vivid.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #2 on: September 06, 2016, 08:56:26 PM »
There are so many courses I want to play in Scotland.   I'm really not too interested in the inland courses like Ladybank.   The linksland courses are calling!   Murcar, Forfar, and all the other little known links are just great. 

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #3 on: September 06, 2016, 08:58:33 PM »
There are so many courses I want to play in Scotland.   I'm really not too interested in the inland courses like Ladybank.   The linksland courses are calling!   Murcar, Forfar, and all the other little known links are just great.

Your missing something by not paying in the highlands. It is pretty special. It may not have the rankings of the great links courses but they are certainly worth the time.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Bill_McBride

« Reply #4 on: September 06, 2016, 09:01:41 PM »

Your missing something by not paying in the highlands. It is pretty special. It may not have the rankings of the great links courses but they are certainly worth the time.

I've been to Nairn, Dornoch, Struie, Golspie 😀, Brora.  I'd love to get to the west coast.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: September 06, 2016, 09:03:46 PM »

Putting Boat of Garten and Ladybank in the same category is a horrible misstep.  Boat of Garten is more like North Berwick, than it is like Ladybank.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #6 on: September 06, 2016, 09:08:10 PM »
Tom,
Your memories would only be massively reinforced with a return visit.
I had more fun today than I've had on a golf course anywhere for ages.
BofG has a phenomenal set of par threes, beautifully subtle contoured greens, a brilliant mix of long and short par fours, a couple of long, challenging par fives over wildly undulating terrain all in fantastic condition with great presentation and impeccable attention to detail.
I honestly think it's a must see for the architectural aficionado.

M

Phil McDade

« Reply #7 on: September 06, 2016, 09:13:09 PM »
Marty:

Kudos for bringing some attention to this under-rated and often bypassed course. An original James Braid design (with some modifications over the years), it starts off with a modest par 3, then has 17 consecutive holes of great interest, variety and challenge. I've always thought the par 4s here were the stars -- a terrific set of holes. Those who make a trip to Scotland and don't find a way to this course are missing out on one of the country's best inland courses, and really one of its better overall courses.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2016, 09:14:26 PM »

Dearest uncle,
Please don't discount the inland courses. I know you would LOVE BofG.
Let me take your there the next time you're here.
Love,
Neffers.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #9 on: September 06, 2016, 09:17:25 PM »
Marty:

Kudos for bringing some attention to this under-rated and often bypassed course. An original James Braid design (with some modifications over the years), it starts off with a modest par 3, then has 17 consecutive holes of great interest, variety and challenge. I've always thought the par 4s here were the stars -- a terrific set of holes. Those who make a trip to Scotland and don't find a way to this course are missing out on one of the country's best inland courses, and really one of its better overall courses.

Phil,
Well said.
I'm so happy you've seen the course and enjoyed it too. I can't wait to play it again. It's really properly special.
Cheers,
M.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #10 on: September 06, 2016, 11:14:13 PM »

Putting Boat of Garten and Ladybank in the same category is a horrible misstep.  Boat of Garten is more like North Berwick, than it is like Ladybank.

Thanks, that makes it very appealing

Adrian_Stiff

« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2016, 05:45:46 AM »
I was there Saturday, looked lovely and brought back memories from my previous round in 1973.
A combination of whats good for golf and good for turf.
The Players Club, Cumberwell Park, The Kendleshire, Oake Manor, Dainton Park, Forest Hills, Erlestoke, St Cleres.
www.theplayersgolfclub.com

Frank Pont

« Reply #12 on: September 07, 2016, 05:57:23 AM »
One of my favorites in Scotland, amazing undulations in the fairways and some great views...

Rich Goodale

« Reply #13 on: September 07, 2016, 07:15:43 AM »
Played Boat for the first time a year ago.  It's a "top 50" Scottish course, but just barely.  Great views?  Yes.  Quirk?  Yes.  Playable for all sizes and shapes of golfers?  No.  Enjoyability for GCA wing-nuts who don't care about card-and-pencil golf?  Go for it!

Rich
Life is good.

Any afterlife is unlikely and/or dodgy.

Jean-Paul Parodi

Niall C

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2016, 08:28:11 AM »
I first played it as a nipper on family holidays and have enjoyed going back on many occasions over the years. As Rich says, it's not the widest of courses but there is some good interesting fun golf in lovely surroundings.

If you are in that area (and by that I mean within 10/20 mins drive) check out the Granton-on-Spey course which has a mix of some fairly bland holes and some lovely cross country holes including one of the best driveable par 4's/long par 3's in Scotland. Another one which I've never played but have walked, and that Jon Wigget speaks highly of is the 9 holer at Nethy Bridge, complete with a par 3 that plays over a public road. Also another 9 holer at Ballindalloch Castle which unusually for up there is a modern design by Tom MacKenzie which has some challenging greens.

Niall

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2016, 08:26:55 PM »
N,
We played Granton today.
After the very hohum first six holes, it turned into a very fun next six.
The course is mad short but plays over some lovely terrain.
The final five holes must be one of the finest examples of routing I've ever seen. They're crammed into a tiny area of land which is luckily blessed with a terrific range of landscape features gifted by the glaciers.
Fun, but not even close to the joys of Boat of Garten.

F.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2016, 03:36:04 AM »
N,
We played Granton today.
After the very hohum first six holes, it turned into a very fun next six.
The course is mad short but plays over some lovely terrain.
The final five holes must be one of the finest examples of routing I've ever seen. They're crammed into a tiny area of land which is luckily blessed with a terrific range of landscape features gifted by the glaciers.
Fun, but not even close to the joys of Boat of Garten.

F.

Marty,

I can see that the tee shots are pretty ho hum on the first 6 holes but they are a fantastic set of green complexes and a great example of how to get the most out of the terrain. The run of holes from 7 through 12 though short are simply outstanding followed by a fun finish. Yes, it is short but Granton is a very fine exmple of early 20th C GCA that is largely untouched. BofG is quite stunning though a Rihc has pointed out not a card and pencil course. The only negative is the very poor opener which I usually walk.

Jon

Bob Montle

« Reply #17 on: September 08, 2016, 09:22:09 AM »
You've convinced me.  I'm coming next year!

Now Martin, have you played Fraserburgh yet?
"If you're the swearing type, golf will give you plenty to swear about.  If you're the type to get down on yourself, you'll have ample opportunities to get depressed.  If you like to stop and smell the roses, here's your chance.  Golf never judges; it just brings out who you are."

Sean Ogle

« Reply #18 on: September 08, 2016, 01:51:45 PM »
You guys have me sold, going to try and visit on my trip next month.

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #19 on: September 08, 2016, 08:46:52 PM »
Excellent Sean,
Trust me. You won't be disappointed.
Enjoy!

F.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #20 on: September 08, 2016, 08:54:39 PM »
A nice review Mr. Boner! 😀🍸
« Last Edit: September 08, 2016, 10:50:26 PM by Bill_McBride »

Andy Shulman

« Reply #21 on: September 08, 2016, 10:03:18 PM »
The Boat is a great course to play on the way to the Highlands.  There are a few spots where it's a little tight, but it has some excellent short par-4s, most notably the 10th and 15th.  It's also got a tough as nails closing hole that's comparable - in a number of ways - to the 18th at Lundin Links.

Pat Burke

« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2016, 02:49:54 AM »
so let me get this straight...I played Carnoustie, was miserable, and we could have played there!?!?! ;D

Niall C

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2016, 08:04:05 AM »
Pat

Get a better caddy  ;D

Niall

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2016, 02:27:43 PM »
Pat

Get a better caddy  ;D

Niall

Ouch. Now that's a bit harsh. :-X

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back