News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Schackman

Upcoming trip to Sand Hills & Ballyneal
« on: May 24, 2016, 11:04:41 AM »
All-

I have been very fortunate to have been sponsored by a member to play Sand Hills Golf Club with my Dad next week (unaccompanied). We are coming from NJ so I also arranged for us to play Ballyneal when we drive out there from Denver. I don't bring this up as a brag or anything but want to pick everyone's brain.

I have read a bunch of the threads on here about the two courses but they are, not surprisingly, mostly discussions about the architecture of the courses.

But I was wondering if people had any tips or advice on some of the non-golf-course aspects of the  trip. Any places we need to stop or unconventional things at either club that are must see/do. I'm obviously not very familiar with either place.

TIA
Joe

David Wuthrich

Re: Upcoming trip to Sand Hills & Ballyneal
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2016, 11:26:12 AM »
Nope, just have fun and enjoy both venues!  They are some of the best around and you will want to soak it all in.  If you have time for more golf, Dismal River and Prairie Club are not too far from Sand Hills.

Frank M

« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2016, 12:24:03 PM »
I'm actually on the same trip starting June 6th...everything except Sand Hills, but I'm looking forward to so much great golf all the same.

I've never been to the region however the Nebraska sandhills have always intrigued me deeply and this trip has been a long time coming.

From someone who has never been, the only thing I might be able to offer is to soak in the golf, but also take some time to soak in the region itself. Whether that means stopping for a half hour in Mullen or finding spot along the Dismal River or McConaughy Lake for 20 minutes, I'd say do it.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 12:56:52 PM »
Joe:

When you get to the 8th tee at Sand Hills, try to remember to turn around and look to the east, opposite of the way the hole plays.  That's one of the many holes that Coore and Crenshaw didn't build ... and it will give you a sense for how much of the golf terrain is really untouched.

I've been doing some wandering around in the dunes at Ballyneal in the past year; there are still some more golf holes out there if they ever decide they need some.  For somebody who's interested in golf architecture there are few things more fun to do than walking around in the sand hills.

Tom Dunne

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 01:03:16 PM »

From someone who has never been, the only thing I might be able to offer is to soak in the golf, but also take some time to soak in the region itself. Whether that means stopping for a half hour in Mullen or finding spot along the Dismal River or McConaughy Lake for 20 minutes, I'd say do it.

The drive times are so long that you will feel crazy doing this, but at the same time...I did it myself. I drove all the way to Alliance, NE just to see "Carhenge", which is exactly what it sounds like. So I stood there in the dust for five minutes, went "Huh, so that's Carhenge," and then left. Fortunately, I discovered the Museum of the Sandhills, also in Alliance, which made the trip more worthwhile.

On the 80 corridor west of N. Platte, Ole's Big Game Steakhouse is a memorable restaurant (the walls are covered in hunting trophies) with un-fancy but above-average food.     

Gothenburg, besides being home to Wild Horse, is an attractive small town with a Pony Express museum.

There's an enormous Cabela's in Sidney (corporate HQ is there, I believe) if you're into outdoors stuff. However, it's not on the way to Ballyneal--unless, that is, you go via Alliance!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2016, 01:15:04 PM »
Translation:

Outside of the golf, there ain't much going on in them parts.......  ;D

Joe Schackman

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2016, 01:18:27 PM »
Translation:

Haha that is what it sounds like but I appreciate everyone's feedback regardless!

Frank M

« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2016, 01:44:34 PM »
Translation:

If you're looking for a party every night of the week that might be true, but I'm guessing there's actually quite a bit for those not so inclined. In my research, I've found quite a bit, but I'm also a loner type. All I need is a friend or two and we can find plenty to do anywhere. 

Kalen Braley

« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2016, 03:00:50 PM »
Translation:

If you're looking for a party every night of the week that might be true, but I'm guessing there's actually quite a bit for those not so inclined. In my research, I've found quite a bit, but I'm also a loner type. All I need is a friend or two and we can find plenty to do anywhere.

Frank,

That's the beauty of being a loner....there's always something to do wherever you are!!

May I suggest Kavanaugh's BuddyUp!® for future outings!! 

P.S.  Agreed there is always something to do with the right kind of "friend"  ;)

Matt Glore

« Reply #9 on: May 24, 2016, 03:10:22 PM »
Fill up on gas at 1/2 empty!

I really like taking the Ogallala Exit and going around some huge lake instead of going to North Platte and up. 

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #10 on: May 24, 2016, 04:41:38 PM »
I will tell you that you must play those courses at least twice to really appreciate them. 

When you are at Sand Hills on a clear night take a glass of your favorite beverage and a cigar and sit outside with your dad and look at the stars - a guy from New Jersey will be amazed and dazzled and you will never feel closer to your father.

Mark Chaplin

« Reply #11 on: May 24, 2016, 05:10:41 PM »
Pizza Hut in Ogallala, basically a one horse town missing it's horse.
Cave Nil Vino

Kalen Braley

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2016, 05:17:09 PM »
I heard there's a really cool goat farm in Tryon on your way to Mullen...

But you better get there before Daniel Plainview or he might drink your milkshake!

hhuffines

« Reply #13 on: May 24, 2016, 08:10:46 PM »
Take some good golf shoes and enjoy a milkshake at Ballyneal.  Great place!

Ross Harmon

« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2016, 12:03:43 AM »
When you are at Sand Hills on a clear night take a glass of your favorite beverage and a cigar and sit outside with your dad and look at the stars - a guy from New Jersey will be amazed and dazzled and you will never feel closer to your father.

Ben's Porch late-night is truly a surreal experience!

Tyler Kearns

« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2016, 12:18:04 AM »
I had the best steak of my life at Sand Hills GC, highly recommended.

TK

Steve Lang

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2016, 12:55:40 AM »
 8) If you're going all the ways to Sand Hills then you have to play Dismal River almost right next to it!

Wild Horse is also a must play

The North Platte Airport is good place to eat if schedule works out, the fried chicken there was very good.  Some interesting history there too.

Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Clyde Johnson

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2016, 05:56:32 AM »
The Rustic Tavern in Mullen is well worth a visit - Rhonda and Gary are fine hosts. If you are lucky they will still be serving the "Rusty Sandusky"... :o !

The Touchdown Club in North Platte is good for ten-pin bowling and a bikini contest, if that is your thing!?

Pelican Beach is probably the best of the 'country' courses, and is on the way if you drive via Ogallala/Hyannis. The Landscape from North Platte to Mullen is especially cool, make sure you drive it one way.

BHoover

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2016, 09:30:55 AM »
If you have time, I'd swing down to 55 and check out the House of Mud. It's only the largest freestanding mud dwelling ever built, that's all. You see, the pioneers didn't have bricks, so they used mud.

It's living history.

Jason Thurman

« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2016, 09:37:31 AM »
They didn't use mud, Brian. They used sod.
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

BHoover

« Reply #20 on: May 25, 2016, 09:52:37 AM »
Yes, Jason, and when they ran out of sod, they used mud.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2016, 09:52:57 AM »
They didn't use mud, Brian. They used sod.
Yes, I think I saw that on an episode of "Little House on the Prairie" one time. Later they used wood to build the new house, ie board and batten and such, since Mr. Ingalls was good with his hands and in building things. His land would've made a terrific golf course, but CBM was still just a lad back then and so no one even knew there was such a thing as golf courses, and also they had to grow food on the land instead so that little Laura could grow up and write "Little House on the Prairie".

Chris Wickham

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2016, 03:58:35 PM »
Have a burger on Ben's Porch.  Great burger and a great view!

As for stops on the way, the wonderful place called the Touchdown Club in North Platte is no longer in existence!

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #23 on: May 25, 2016, 04:20:02 PM »
Joe,

Based on your profile your dad must be at least in his 50's. Don't drag the guy around too much when you already have two of the finest courses in the world to play. It's really all about the people and the land anyway and that ain't gonna get better killing bugs on your windshield.

More importantly, what's the deal with Schackamaxon Country Club? Got to hear the connection.

Joe Schackman

« Reply #24 on: May 25, 2016, 06:16:16 PM »
Joe,

Based on your profile your dad must be at least in his 50's. Don't drag the guy around too much when you already have two of the finest courses in the world to play. It's really all about the people and the land anyway and that ain't gonna get better killing bugs on your windshield.

More importantly, what's the deal with Schackamaxon Country Club? Got to hear the connection.

Haha he is 66 but going strong!

Ya my intention is not to go out of our way too much but figured I'd throw the question out and see if there was anything noteworthy. I was even curious about anything out of the ordinary at the courses since my knowledge is limited to whatever I have read online.

And happy to fill you in on Shack. Feel free to shoot me a message if you have any specific questions.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back