News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jason Topp

USGA and R&A Release Driving Distance Report
« on: June 02, 2016, 04:12:53 PM »
Basic conclusion - driving distance has largely held steady since 2002:

News Release:  http://www.usga.org/articles/2016/06/usga-and-r-a-publish-joint-distance-study.html

Full Report:  http://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/pdf/Equipment/distance-study.pdf

jeffwarne

Re: USGA and R&A Release Driving Distance Report
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2016, 07:28:02 PM »
Basic conclusion - driving distance has largely held steady since 2002:

yep and I have oceanfront land for sale in Arizona.

no doubt another study shows square grooves and anchoring are the real reason thousand of new tees have been built and numerous clubs have greater safety corridor issues.

doddering.....old...... fools......

« Last Edit: June 03, 2016, 12:13:27 AM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

John Connolly

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2016, 09:45:15 PM »
It's like a pharmaceutical company releasing a study showing its new drug is safe.
"And yet - and yet, this New Road will some day be the Old Road, too."

Neil Munroe (1863-1930)

Sven Nilsen

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2016, 10:02:54 PM »
In the old days, at least they recognized there was a problem.

Evening Bulletin - Feb. 29, 1912

« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 10:31:33 PM by Sven Nilsen »
"As much as we have learned about the history of golf architecture in the last ten plus years, I'm convinced we have only scratched the surface."  A GCA Poster

"There's the golf hole; play it any way you please." Donald Ross

Brad Tufts

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2016, 09:02:19 AM »
I read through the report, and thought the result was the opposite of the bold conclusion.

"Only 0.2y per year" is what they want you to think (which is still substantial in my opinion), but how about the average drive going from 265 to 290 since distance has been measured?!
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Benjamin Litman

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2016, 09:32:13 AM »
Echoing Brad's observation, here is a good takedown of the report: https://golficity.com/why-the-usga-ra-2015-distance-report-is-a-joke/
"One will perform in large part according to the circumstances."
-Director of Recruitment at Agahozo-Shalom Youth Village in Rwanda on why it selects orphaned children without regard to past academic performance. Refreshing situationism in a country where strict dispositionism might be expected.

Jason Topp

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2016, 09:52:47 AM »
Echoing Brad's observation, here is a good takedown of the report: https://golficity.com/why-the-usga-ra-2015-distance-report-is-a-joke/

In my view the analysis in this rebuttal is flawed. 

• It cherry picks the year 2002 for its claim that driving distance has jumped 10 yards over a 10 year period.  2002 was still during the time period that distances were jumping due to the conversion to multilayered balls.
  • The issue of how often players use driver on measured holes is specifically addressed in the report starting at page 13

Pre 1990s there was a similar increase in driving distance to what one sees today, presumably due to better technique or competitive pressures weeding out shorter hitters.  Current trends seem similar to that history  - compare the period from 1980-1991 to the period from 2003-today on figure 2 of the USGA report. 

Players of today are in much better physical condition than they were in 2002.  I attended the PGA that year and was surprised by how many overweight players there were in the tournament.  Also - I think Tiger Woods was still using a steel shafted driver. 

Mike Bowen

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2016, 01:53:25 PM »
Using stats is great and obviously the only objective way to measure these changes.  There were a few shots in the last few weeks that stick out as something I don't remember seeing even a couple years ago.

Jason Day hitting an iron over 300 yards on the 18th at Sawgrass.

Rory McIlroy easily reaching two par fives at the K club from 270 yards out.

Obviously theses guys are incredibly fit and amazing talents and blah blah blah... but is this really the distance the governing bodies deem acceptable?

BHoover

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2016, 02:51:49 PM »
I didn't think anyone reasonably could dispute that distances have increased dramatically in the past 15+ years.

But thankfully anchoring has been eliminated. Countless courses that otherwise would have been rendered obsolete are now safe from the ravages of out-of-control putting styles.

PCCraig

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2016, 03:28:04 PM »
The increase in distance on the PGA Tour is due both to huge improvements to technology and to a lesser extent physical fitness. The difference between a Tour Prestige 90 and a Pro V1 in 2001 was like a V8 Corvette vs. a moped. The ball should be rolled back.
H.P.S.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2016, 10:50:28 AM »

IMO the takedown falls apart in its second sentence: "In summary, the report states that the increase in driver distance has been more of a crawl over the past two decades with the advances in club and ball technology having little impact to the game."

The report did not talk about the last two decades.  It talked about the period from 2003 to 2015.  Assuming conditions are mostly the same (width of fairways, hazards, rough, length of run etc.) distance has not increased much during that time.  The numbers the report gave are pretty accurate. 

The big question is, have the distance gains really leveled off, or are we going to see another jump, like we did before 2003?     

Tom_Doak

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2016, 08:33:56 PM »

The big question is, have the distance gains really leveled off, or are we going to see another jump, like we did before 2003?   

I don't think you are going to see another jump, as we did at the end of the 90's.  The governing bodies have committed verbally that if there is a substantial increase from now forward, they will demand changes to counteract it.

Therefore, they're equally committed to denying whatever change there is.  The main one being that in 2002, nobody was trying to reach 600-yard par-5 holes in two, and today, you see it from a bunch of the longer hitters.  Somehow, they've gained 30 yards in two shots over that time.  Maybe it's all on the second shot, but I doubt it.

And of course, the real problem is that they let the cat out of the bag throughout the 1990's, and then grandfathered it all in and declared 2003 the standard going forward, as if distance wasn't a problem for golf courses in 2003.

Andrew Buck

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2016, 09:27:32 PM »
The increase in distance on the PGA Tour is due both to huge improvements to technology and to a lesser extent physical fitness. The difference between a Tour Prestige 90 and a Pro V1 in 2001 was like a V8 Corvette vs. a moped. The ball should be rolled back.

Also, the teaching at an early age has changed due to the technology.  This generation of tour players were taught with "modern" equipment to hit it as far as possible at an early age and then dial it back.  In addition, strength training has been optimized with modern swing equipment.

It feels right that technology hasn't advanced much in a little more than a decade, but the ability to train around technology has certainly been refined since the days we out 460cc drivers and proV's in the hands of those who learned in persimmon.

Steve Lang

« Reply #13 on: June 04, 2016, 09:47:39 PM »
 8)   Let's look at Figures 1 & 2 ... 1992 - 2002 quite striking in rate of change!

« Last Edit: June 05, 2016, 06:53:20 PM by Steve Lang »
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2016, 09:08:42 AM »
Steve:

I like the shading.

An alternative label for the green shading could be:  "Big Bertha and Pro V1 grandfathered in, so Callaway and Titleist won't sue".

MClutterbuck

« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2016, 01:34:06 PM »
Whether we like the conclusions of the report or not, the actual publication of it is a big step forward and hopefully sets some kind of a cap as is implied.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back