News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

George Freeman

New Tom Doak Par-3 Course at Bandon?
« on: April 06, 2016, 12:38:11 PM »
Forgive me if this has been discussed already on this site (I searched, but couldn't find any mention of it).

Matt Ginella just made an Instagram post stating "Tom Doak is on property routing another par-3 course in the dunesland to the right of the 2nd and 3rd holes at Bandon Trails.  I'm told somewhere between 10 and 13 holes, depending on what the land gives...no specific timetable for an opening."

Very exciting to read this.  That land between BT #1-2 and the ocean looks amazing.  The Preserve blew me away when I played it a couple years ago.  My immediate thought walking off the last hole was "why are there not more courses like this?!"  Sounds like there soon will be...
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 12:45:00 PM by George Freeman »
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

BCrosby

Re: New Tom Doak Par-3 Course at Bandon?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2016, 12:44:16 PM »
Doubly cool if he builds it as a reversible course.

Bob

Ian Andrew

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2016, 12:49:00 PM »
Was it posted on April 1st by any chance?
-

Jonathan Mallard

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2016, 12:54:06 PM »
Was it posted on April 1st by any chance?

No. Posted April 6th.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2016, 01:05:24 PM »
Aren't we all just a bit Doaked out by now? Can't wait to see what he'll do that we haven't seen before.

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2016, 01:11:04 PM »
Of course we all know and all profoundly agree with the notion of a golf course being only 11 or 13 or 8 holes "depending on what the land gives". But is it just me or does anyone else wish for Tom that his next client be an over-bearing blowhard with more money than taste who bellows out something like "I don't give a shite what the damn land gives! I want you to build me 18 - 18, not 9 or 12 -- of the longest, toughest holes possible no matter what you think the land gives, and then I want to host a freaking US Open!"

Edit: as is often the case, JK beat me to it, and more bluntly
Peter
« Last Edit: April 06, 2016, 01:13:33 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2016, 01:19:37 PM »
I may be accused of being a Doak butt boy...

But when Doak starts putting crap/mediocre/average/bland courses in the ground, I'll be one of the first to chime in and say maybe its time to hang it up.  Until then I shall continue to look forward to what he does next because his stellar track record speaks for itself....

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2016, 01:20:58 PM »
It's not just Doak, it's every new World Top 25 course. We are drowning in sameness.

Alex Miller

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2016, 01:36:28 PM »
Nothing against Tom Doak, but if this land was available in the first place I would've preferred an extension to the Preserve into 18 par 3 holes or an executive course. Another par 3 course seems forced, despite the fantastic site.

Eric Smith

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2016, 01:37:18 PM »
It's not just Doak, it's every new World Top 25 course. We are drowning in sameness.

No. We are drowning in information. Big difference.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2016, 01:48:26 PM »

Thanks. I forgot.

Eric Smith

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2016, 01:54:09 PM »

Thanks. I forgot.

It's ok. Someday soon your golf trips are going to look like this:

Jud_T

« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2016, 02:17:26 PM »
1.  Bandon has an embarrassment of riches of great golf.  This will likely just add to it and make the pull to stay there a day or two longer just a bit stronger.

2.  Didn't Tom mention something about this before in relation to the Sheep Farm, or am I mixing apples and oranges?

3.  It's a nice addition for us oldsters who aren't keen on walking 36 day in and day out for an extended stay.

3.  Given the fact that I live in a major metropolitan area and I have exactly 1 course within an hour's drive that was designed by Doak, C&C, Hanse, DeVries et al., and it's the second course at a well known club at that, I'd say I'm hardly drowning in sameness. 
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ronald Montesano

« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2016, 02:55:26 PM »
1.  Bandon has an embarrassment of riches of great golf.  This will likely just add to it and make the pull to stay there a day or two longer just a bit stronger.

NOT A BAD THING...ALWAYS GET IN TO TOWN WHEN IN BANDON

2.  Didn't Tom mention something about this before in relation to the Sheep Farm, or am I mixing apples and oranges?

YOU'RE MIXING FARMS AND RANCHES

3.  It's a nice addition for us oldsters who aren't keen on walking 36 day in and day out for an extended stay.

WORD. MK AIN'T DUMB

3.  Given the fact that I live in a major metropolitan area and I have exactly 1 course within an hour's drive that was designed by Doak, C&C, Hanse, DeVries et al., and it's the second course at a well known club at that, I'd say I'm hardly drowning in sameness.

WE SHOULD ALL BE SO POOR.

Coming in August 2023
~Manakiki
~OSU Scarlet
~OSU Grey
~NCR South
~Springfield
~Columbus
~Lake Forest (OH)
~Sleepy Hollow (OH)

K Rafkin

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2016, 04:18:30 PM »
And here i thought Gary Player was the champion of 12 hole golf courses.

If this is true then it is great news.  Although Mr. Keiser has said, on numerous occasions, that from a financial standpoint Bandon doesn't need another course there certainly is a market for one.  At this point Bandon is consistently booked over a year in advanced.  Given how busy Bandon is in the winter time, its safe to say that there really is very little of an "off season".  The preserve allows those who choose visit in the winter months the ability to play extra holes when sunlight hours are are a minimum.  In the summer the preserve allows those who can not or choose not to walk 36 or 54 the ability to get more golf in.  Right now the Preserve is servicing 4 courses, and with the addition of 18 more holes by Gil Hanse it will be servicing the 5 full length courses.  The reality is that the Preserve is already in high demand and already operating capacity.  The toughest tee times to get aren't the early morning Pac Dunes times, but rather the late in the day Preserve times.  Its where everyone wants to be at the end of the day.  Adding another short course will only add more prime time Bandon tee times, which is not a bad thing.

Tom, Im not sure if you can comment on this thread yet, but please know that you have a moral obligation to find a way to make the final hole of your short course puttable.  Should you not adhere to this obligation, you're course will be immediately labeled a Doak 0 regardless of the quality of the other 10-12 holes.

PCCraig

« Reply #15 on: April 06, 2016, 04:33:31 PM »
That land over there by Bandon Trails looks awesome. Looking forward to what Tom Doak & Co. come up with over there.

It's clear that the Preserve is a huge hit. I thought it was super cool and a lot of fun. I personally would rather play 36 holes, then maybe squeeze a few in on the Preserve, but I can see why so many older guys who don't like walking 36 would love the option.
H.P.S.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #16 on: April 06, 2016, 08:06:04 PM »
Jud lives in Kenilworth, he could walk to some of the best classic courses in the country, or he could just have his butler set up an Uber. No pity from here down under. I've got a Doak In Evansville that I would trade for the worst Ross in Chicago.  My God.

Dan Gallaway

« Reply #17 on: April 06, 2016, 10:04:52 PM »
Maybe a par 3 course is what Chambers Bay needs as a second course?  There is often rumor of another course being built.  As a muni, it would be nice to have some sort of family/community element to the facility.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #18 on: April 06, 2016, 10:22:54 PM »
Well, Matt should check his facts.  Today I am posting from Davenport, Iowa after having walked Sand Valley this morning, Lawsonia at lunchtime, and Davenport CC before dark.  I'm on my way across Iowa to see some courses for The Confidential Guide.

However, I was in Bandon a couple of weeks ago, and spent some time looking for par-3 holes there.  Mr. Keiser seemed to like what I found, so, maybe something will happen there.  Hopefully the same people who have been raising a ruckus over the new site south of Bandon will not mind the idea of a few more par-3 holes at the resort.

P.S.  Word is that the 18,000 rounds at Bandon Preserve last year generated a lot of money for the Howard McKee Nature Preserve and the State of Oregon Parks Dept.  I would hope they like the idea of more.

P.P.S.  I've never built a par-3 course, but we've been approached about three of them by different clients.  Bandon would be a good place to build one.

Mike_Young

« Reply #19 on: April 07, 2016, 08:58:19 AM »
Trivia....I played Davenport a few years ago.  Azinger's brother was club manager...
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

Buck Wolter

« Reply #20 on: April 07, 2016, 10:06:58 PM »
Well, Matt should check his facts.  Today I am posting from Davenport, Iowa after having walked Sand Valley this morning, Lawsonia at lunchtime, and Davenport CC before dark.  I'm on my way across Iowa to see some courses for The Confidential Guide.

I hope you take a look at Waveland in Des Moines
Those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end, for they do so with the approval of their own conscience -- CS Lewis

Bill Brightly

« Reply #21 on: April 07, 2016, 10:32:41 PM »

+1. This was my first thought. As someone who is organizing a trip for a group of guys aged 55-65, it's pretty hard to expect them to walk and play 36 a day.

Nigel Islam

« Reply #22 on: April 09, 2016, 10:05:31 AM »
Jud lives in Kenilworth, he could walk to some of the best classic courses in the country, or he could just have his butler set up an Uber. No pity from here down under. I've got a Doak In Evansville that I would trade for the worst Ross in Chicago.  My God.

Would you trade it for the worst Diddel in Evansvile?

Howard Riefs

"Golf combines two favorite American pastimes: Taking long walks and hitting things with a stick."  ~P.J. O'Rourke

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #24 on: May 14, 2016, 07:25:18 PM »
They have a 'name that course' contest over at golf.com (at the end of the article), but you have to register an account to be able to post your suggestion, so I'll put it here and hope Mr. K sees it:

How about a little nod to one of TD's favourites, Alastir MacKenzie, along with a titch of culture: 

Buentiempo

Peter
« Last Edit: May 14, 2016, 07:33:46 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back