News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

2015 YANK AWARDS
« on: November 27, 2015, 08:39:05 PM »
MOST SURPRISING NEW PLAY COURSE: One new course stood out this year....Orchard Lake in Michigan.  Lovely terrain with everything in front of you.  I usually look for more adventurous designs, but there is enough happening to keep one earnest, intrigued and interested.  I certainly want a return engagement.   RUNNER -UP: This year was my first visit to Leckford Old and man did it impress.  The strikes me as more conceptually bold design than most Colt designs and the greens  are notch above his usual output.  The clubhouse is perfectly modest...fitting hand in glove with the course. 

MOST DISAPPOINTING NEW PLAY COURSE: This award must go to Western Gailes.  It is very indifferent in terms of variety mainly due to unimaginative use of wind. Time and again we are asked to hit narow fairways flanked by harsh rough in cross winds. It makes for a long tiring day.  RUNNER-UP: Canterbury...what a mess! What a shame as I had long looked forward to a game.

BEST NEW PLAY COURSE: Hands down this one goes to Castle Stuart.  A very impressive modern design which can hold its own against any course in GB&I.  Such great variety in the holes even of the more hilly offerings on the back nine are not up to scratch.  Greens are large and varied just as the play is from tee to green.  RUNNER-UP: Orchard Lake. 

MOST SURPRISING SECOND (third or fourth!) LOOK COURSE: Dornoch.  My faith in he course was renewed this year.  I was particularly impressed with Foxy after seeing its versatility with the flag way right.  I also noticed the greens are up to more than I previously gave credit for. RUNNER-UP: Notts has slowly worked its magic on me.  There are just too many good and cool holes not admire the design.  The use of the hill from holes 11-16 sets Notts apart and really puts it marker down for consideration as one of the best inland courses in England. 

FAVOURITE NEW PLAY LINKS not called St Enodoc: Castle Stuart. 

FAVOURITE NEW PLAY INLAND COURSE not called Kington: Leckford Old.

BEST AFFORDABLE COURSE: By affordable I mean under £40 (~$60).  Only a handful of courses qualify and Kington remains the king of the hill. 

BEST MODERATELY PRICED COURSE: By moderate I mean between £40 and £55 (~$80) and no member invitation, deals or other special circumstances involved. The Sacred 9 remains etched in my memory as a superbly designed course which packs a powerful punch on its diminutive size.  It is difficult to point out a real flaw. 

BEST COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: Things have changed for me at the top after playing Sandwich again this past spring.  It really does offer the best of both worlds in terms of challenging great players and somehow remaining playable for scabs like me. RUNNER-UP: I said Castle Stuart can hang with any course in GB&I!   

Lets see your awards!

Ciao
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 12:50:32 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Alan Ritchie

Re: 2015 YANK AWARDS
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2015, 04:40:47 AM »
Best new course played..
Trump Aberdeen. really enjoyed playing here. beautiful location, challenging and plenty of variety. not perfect as we all know but would return
on many an occasion if I
could.

runner up..
Metropolitan.

Most surprising new play course..
St. Andrews beach. I just felt surprised by the nature of a few relatively small round greens. suffered from walking it after doing 18 holes at the national in the morning. but in saying that it's very good value for money.

runner up..
glenelg

best value new course played..
St. Andrews beach.

best value overall..
(and possibly in the world) Barnbougle dunes

runner up..
Lost Farm!

Most surprising 2nd, 3rd, 4th play.
Lost Farm. goes up in my opinion every time especially the world class front 9.

Best inland course..
Metropolitan. really enjoyed the unique bunkering as well as great conditioning and design on what must be a small piece of land.

runner up..
West Sussex

Best links..
barnbougle
runner up..
Trump Aberdeen

hardest course..
trump
Runner up..
national moonah

most disappointing..
carnarvon. not that I was expecting too much but in keeping with a lot of sydney courses. way too many trees.

Niall C

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2015, 08:45:32 AM »
MOST SURPRISING NEW PLAY COURSE: Wick GC – basic traditional links with minimal elevational changes that simply provides some great golf.

MOST DISAPPOINTING NEW PLAY COURSE: none to speak of

BEST NEW PLAY COURSE: Formby – a toss up between this and Wick but Formby has more going for it in terms of the terrain.

MOST SURPRISING SECOND LOOK COURSE: Tain – distinctly underwhelmed the first time I played it but this time really enjoyed it and much better than I remembered. And I was playing in the rain.

BEST AFFORDABLE COURSE: Whinhill GC - £15 for 18 hole son this 5,500 yard muni. No bunkers, negligible rough but burns and slopes a plenty with old fashioned rectangular benched greens.

BEST MODERATELY PRICED COURSE: Forfar – can’t recall what it cost but it was a wee bit more than £15

BEST COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: Moray Old – hadn’t been for for a couple of years and then played it the week between it holding the Scottish Amateur Strokeplay and their week long Open comp so the course was in tip top condition. When you see it in that light you realise what a special course it is. Also played Troon and Dornoch this year and neither topped Moray.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2015, 09:12:20 AM »
Mostly re-plays this year but a few standouts new to me including -

Most difficult - Royal County Down - long, tough, brutally so at times, but wonderful with it
Most enjoyable - Portmarnock - challenging but fair, easy walking, classy, would be a very happy man if this were my home club
Most hilariously wacky but still great fun - Calanova, Spain - a total hoot on an occasional play basis

Others have been played but less memorably so.

Atb

Daryl David

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2015, 12:45:23 PM »
This Yank's 2015 awards for outside US.

MOST SURPRISING NEW PLAY COURSE: Arrowtown hands down. Most fun you can have outside of North Berwick

MOST DISAPPOINTING NEW PLAY COURSE: Wairakei.  Lush, slow and uninteresting.  Honorable mention to The Hills.  Lush, slow and uninteresting as well as being ultra-expensive.

BEST NEW PLAY COURSE: Cabot Cliffs barely edges out Cape Wickham.  Can't stop thinking about each hole and each shot on both the courses.

FAVORITE NEW PLAY INLAND COURSE:  Titirunga  Surprisingly good.  If it was in the Sand Belt instead of suburban Auckland it would get a lot more attention.

MOST SURPRISING SECOND LOOK COURSE: Victoria Golf Club.  Got to play it this time as firm as it probably ever gets. Wow.

BEST AFFORDABLE COURSE: Tie: Arrowtown and St. Andrews Beach  $55

BEST MODERATELY PRICED COURSE: Barnbougle Dunes $78  Honorable mention to Peninsula North stay and play package.  Room, dinner, breakfast and round of golf for $205

BEST COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: Royal Melbourne West edges out Kingston Heath and Cabot Cliffs

Jud_T

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2015, 02:09:11 PM »

Most Surprising New Play Course:  Easily Barton Hills.  Went in with fairly high expectations and was still pleasantly surprised.  Good use of elevation changes, some great green complexes and short game interest and a nice low key vibe to the whole club.  A course that's fun for hacks and sticks alike.  Honorable Mention:  Mount Prospect Golf Club.  David Esler's reno brings a great addition to the Chicago Public scene.  His incorporation of classic template features gives Joe Sixpack a taste of Old School design features.  Only the awkwardness of 17 and 18 keep it out of the top rank here (probably no fault of Eslers given the tight routing).

Most Disappointing New Play Course: None to speak of, although I was hoping to like Olympia Fields South a bit more on a personal level.  The creek's presence on 11 holes becomes a bit tiresome for average players.  Between this and the North course it's a great club for sticks and probably not a ton of fun for the average 18 hdcp member.  Having said that it's probably one of my favorite Bendelow tracks, which is a bit like saying 'Toxic' is one of my favorite Britney Spears songs.

Best New Play Club:  Barton Hills wins here as well.  Combined with the U of M restoration being slowly rolled out from Mike DeVries' master plan, this gives Ann Arbor an enviable one-two punch.

Most Surprising Second (or third or fourth) Look Course:  The Dunes Club.  Best nine holer I've played.   Also the template for a small clubhouse IMO.  Urbina's consulting work is definitely paying dividends here; that tree on 8 has gotta go though.  Honorable Mention:  Beverly Country Club.  I knew it was the best club in town, but the greens are really growing on me.  Now if they'd just cut the damn rough.

Most Disappointing Second (or third or fourth) Look Course:  Lost Dunes.  Being the Doak fan that I am I really want to love this place, but between the always-a-bit-too-soft conditions and the difficult property necessitated long walks in several sections of the course I just can't get there.

Best Affordable Course:  As usual Langford's Spring Valley.  $18 all day walking fee.  Don't see this losing the title any time soon.

Best Moderately Priced Course:  Ravisloe Country Club.  I'll take 2 or 3 rounds here over 1 at Cog Hill #4 or the Glen Club every time.

Best Course Played This Year:  Granted I didn't get out too much this year, but Kingsley Club wins again.  The new tees on 4 are a great addition with a completely different look.  After a couple of challenging seasons weatherwise, by fall Dan The Man Lucas had the course running as F&F as I've seen it in years and the new cabin provides much needed additional lodging.  This course is so much fun that even JC Jones' presence couldn't wipe the smile off my face.  8)
« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 08:08:11 AM by Jud_T »
Golf is a game. We play it. Somewhere along the way we took the fun out of it and charged a premium to be punished.- - Ron Sirak

Ash Towe

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2015, 09:13:44 PM »
Daryl David,

Really enjoyed your choices.  Nice to see somebody appreciate this part of the world. Check your spelling of Titirangi  ;)

Jason Way

« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2015, 10:48:32 PM »
I'm not creative enough to come up with my own awards, so using Sean's...

MOST SURPRISING NEW PLAY COURSE:  This was a tough choice, but I'll go with the The Rawls Course.  It's still a little hard to believe that this much interest was created out of a cotton field in Lubbock, TX.  RUNNERS UP were CommonGround, Hyde Park G&CC, Exmoor, and Apache Stronghold.  Seems safe to say, given my picks, that I was surprised this year by how much I enjoy the range of Tom & Crew's work.

MOST DISAPPOINTING NEW PLAY COURSE:  This wasn't a total surprise given my disposition toward courses from this era, but Butler takes this prize for me.  I haven't played nearly enough of his courses yet to know for sure, but I suspect that I am just not going to ever be a Fazio guy.  RUNNER UP was Harbor Shores.  I fail to see how it is justifiable to build a course that is that ridiculously spread out.  I'm happy to have it explained to me, but I cannot imagine what the explanation would be.  And the disjointed routing greatly obscured for me how cool some of the individual holes were.

BEST NEW PLAY COURSE:  Essex County Club, by a margin.  I'm looking forward to playing it again, because I think it might be my all-time favorite golf course.  Of those not already mentioned, RUNNERS UP were Lawsonia Links, Boston GC, Chicago GC, Colorado GC, Camargo, and Pasatiempo.  It was a good year for first looks.

MOST SURPRISING SECOND (third or fourth!) LOOK COURSE:  This too is not even close - Shoreacres.  Last time I was there was before Tom's consulting, and all of the work that Brian Palmer and crew have done.  I am completely smitten with the place to the point where I might love it as much as Old Elm, which is saying quite a bit for me.  RUNNER UP would be Crystal Downs.  2 more plays this summer without the greens out of control fast and I am getting a better sense of just how magical (and fun) that place can be.

BEST AFFORDABLE COURSE:  Lawsonia Links takes this one.  A Top 10er for me under $50.  Hard to do better than that.  RUNNERS UP are Black Forest, Apache Stronghold, and Harrison Hills.  These all take effort to get to, but the reward for making the effort is some special architecture at a great price.

BEST TRIP THIS YEAR:  Tweaking Sean's original award a bit because I was lucky to have several really good ones this year, my trip to Boston was the winner: The Country Club, Boston GC, Old Sandwich, and Essex County.

It was a great year, to be sure.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 10:56:46 AM by Jason Way »
"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Ed Tilley

« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2015, 04:58:45 AM »

Most surprising / disappointing is largely a function of expectations prior to the round. The course that most exceeded expectations was Dingle links which I expected to be very average but had plenty of interest and some excellent green sites, all in a beautiful setting. Honourable runner up to Southerndown which was excellent when I expected good.

I was going to put Gleneagles PGA in the most disappointing but, in truth, it was exactly what I expected which was a course that wasn't bad but didn't really fit the location. My award for most disappointing therefore goes to Dooks. I'm classing this as a new play as I'd only previously played the old design. I had a bad experience and just thought the new greens were a bit "samey". The abomination of the 13th was also unforgiveable.

Best new play course is comfortably Royal Porthcawl which I thought was really top class.

Most surprising replay was Perranporth which I think I am finally beginning to understand a bit more. I took a bit of time to think about which club to play off the tee and played a few irons and hybrids rather than woods. This made holes that I'd previously thought as a bit unfair such as 7 and 12 much more playable. Getting to know where to attack and where to be cautious makes it much less of a lottery than it appears on first play. The 4th is still ridiculous though - I think I may lay up to the front edge next time I play it.

Best affordable course is between Perranporth (£36 full rate with plenty of cheaper options) and Castlegregory which was ridiculously 15 euros for 9 roller coaster holes.

Best value course is St.Enodoc. I know you're not meant to include deals but the green fee was £45 prior to 9.30 - I hardly think it is a massive hardship to start before then. This is also the best course I have played this year.

Tim Gallant

« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2015, 09:39:01 AM »
     [size=0pt]MOST SURPRISING NEW PLAY COURSE:[/size][size=0pt]  Luffness New – I really enjoyed both of my rounds on this old ‘New’ course. It certainly isn’t one to replace Muirfield or North Berwick on an itinerary to East Lothian, but as a members course, it is all you could ask for: walkable, playable and under 3 hours and 30 minutes for a round.

MOST DISAPPOINTING NEW PLAY COURSE: None!

BEST NEW PLAY COURSE: Royal County Down (see below); RUNNER-UP Sunningdale Old – I instantly fell in love with each hole on the course, and would love to play this course over and over.

MOST SURPRISING SECOND LOOK COURSE: After a few years, I was able to return to Cruden Bay, and really enjoyed the links. I appreciated holes like 3, 5, 7 and 15 much more on a second play.

BEST AFFORDABLE COURSE: Musselburgh Links - £15 on weekends is a steal for one of the oldest courses in the world. A great course to play with the family and 4 clubs.

BEST COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: Royal County Down – I had read lots about the front 9 at Royal County Down before my trip to Newcastle, but I was still ill-prepared for what was about to unfold. At 8am, with my Jones bag over my shoulder, I was first off on a crisp, sunny morning. It was bliss. I traversed my way through that front-9 as if on clouds, and soaked up every nook and cranny of the historic links.
[/size]

Richard Fisher

« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2015, 11:21:53 AM »
Great to see the love for Luffness New, which I think provides a brilliant, often overlooked golf experience in a very be-golfed part of the world. And I agree also about Musselburgh, played with four clubs and not too many other people about (or traffic), to reduce the physical dangers.

Most pleasantly surprising new play course for me this year was Royal Queensland, best new course overall was a toss-up between Royal Melbourne West and Notts (Hollinwell), best course I returned to (apart from trips to Porthcawl and Harlech, which don't count) was Swinley, with Deal a strong second (in addition to being the most difficult), the course I returned to but continue to think a tad over-rated is Hankley Common, and the best value was 36 holes at Hollinwell for £80, followed by 36 holes at Coxmoor for £60.

BCowan

« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2015, 05:31:12 PM »
MOST SURPRISING NEW PLAY COURSE: Ravisloe, I thought going in it would be a charming Ross course with a few nice holes and some just okay holes.  Boy was I wrong.  This course is everything one would want in a golf course. The routing took advantage of the land very very well.  There are very few courses that are over treed like Ravisloe that I'm excited about playing again. RUNNER -UP: Mt Prospect: I thought going into the course that it was another GCA hyped hipster course, I was very wrong.  What a golf course. Played very firm and that was a refreshing change of pace. Many standout holes.   

MOST DISAPPOINTING NEW PLAY COURSE: Tobacco Road, I thought that there would be some strategic driving options  ::)

BEST NEW PLAY COURSE: Old Town, The land is extremely interesting.  You are given width off the tee to help offset the slope in the fairways.  The width enables proper strategic play off the tee, I think its the best or one of the best in this category.  The creeks and ditches are utilized so well and are an example of how modern courses could implement (EPA dependent) to offer really cool strategy. 

MOST SURPRISING SECOND (third or fourth!) LOOK COURSE: Orchard Lake, It has really grown on me after repeated plays and even though the greens don't have enough movement for my tastes the course is so solid tee to green that it overshadows any weaknesses.  It's a very good strategic driving course as well. RUNNER-UP: Barton Hills, The course has very unique greens in which some where improved and others that fell short post renovation.  Course has such good land movement.  Hopefully it will reach it's potential some day. 

BEST AFFORDABLE COURSE: Diamond Springs, The one cut style is very appealing and has had me pondering for awhile now.  I really rate the Grand Rapids area very high in public golf..  The land is very interesting on the back side and numerous holes throughout the course.  It was a little soft and shaggy when I played, but I am anxious to get another crack at it. RUNNER-UP:Mt Prospect

BEST MODERATELY PRICED COURSE: Ravisloe, this course could fall in affordable category too

BEST COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR:Old Town, Course is as good as it gets

RUNNER-UP:Holston Hills,
Tee to green it stands up against any titan I've played.  Great culture at the club.  Tree management for the course is practically perfect and should be used as a role model.   

jeffwarne

« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2015, 06:10:56 PM »
Most Surprising new play course-Greencastle
Had low expectations and came away quite surprised. a few pedestrian inland holes, but overall scenic and linkslitey

Most disappointing new play-GC of Purchase-wasn't expecting much and was still disappointed. wetlands everywhere

Best new play-Camberly Heath
Runnerup-Forfar, Greencastle

Most surprising second look-Engineers

Best affordable course:Portsalon, Dunfanaghy, Forfar, Northwest, Cruit

Moderate-I guess Narin and Portnoo if it's expensive enough ;D

Best course played-Portsalon, The Creek

Most disappointing 300th look Goat Hill Shelter Island-abysmal condition coupled with long grass(weeds) killing
essential ground game

« Last Edit: November 30, 2015, 06:15:50 PM by jeffwarne »
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2015, 06:35:11 PM »
Not played much this year so a shortened version.

MOST SURPRISING NEW PLAY COURSE:  Not a difficult one this year as only played the one which was Ullapool. Nice 9 hole links course on the west coast of Scotland. Reasonable condition and decent value for money.

MOST SURPRISING SECOND (third or fourth!) LOOK COURSE:  Brora. Had the chance to play here a few times in the last few years and my opinion of it improves every time I play it.  RUNNER-UP: Tain.

BEST AFFORDABLE COURSE: Wick. At £25 for 18 holes of pure links it is an excellent course. 

BEST MODERATELY PRICED COURSE: Kilspindie. My favourite course I have played

BEST COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: Not played Castle Stuart or Dornoch this year so The Boat gets the nod.

Jon

Sean_A

« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2015, 06:04:20 AM »
Jason

Do you have any pix/commentary on Essex County?

Jeff

Is there any work going on at Camberley?

Niall

Do ya have Forfar pix?  I looked up an old thread and see you consider yourself a numpty...so your word alone on the topic isn't good enough  ;D

Ciao

« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 06:16:10 AM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Adam Lawrence

« Reply #15 on: December 01, 2015, 06:14:34 AM »

Yes. George Waters was back over for a few weeks in November and they have restored the bunkers on holes 13 and 15. This is in addition to the holes done last winter.
Adam Lawrence

Editor, Golf Course Architecture
www.golfcoursearchitecture.net

Principal, Oxford Golf Consulting
www.oxfordgolfconsulting.com

Author, 'More Enduring Than Brass: a biography of Harry Colt' (forthcoming).

Short words are best, and the old words, when short, are the best of all.

Niall C

« Reply #16 on: December 01, 2015, 07:06:23 AM »
Sean

My word alone is NEVER enough, however my ravings persuaded Jeff W to pay a visit and I was happy to accompany him on what was my second go, and I think Jeff enjoyed it. Re photos - I think I have some however its the old problems of my photography being poor and not being able to post. I'll see if I can find a couple of choice pix's to send you.

Niall

jeffwarne

« Reply #17 on: December 01, 2015, 08:03:46 AM »
Jason

Jeff

Niall

Do ya have Forfar pix?  I looked up an old thread and see you consider yourself a numpty...so your word alone on the topic isn't good enough  ;D

Ciao

Sean,
No work at Camberly that I noticed, but I was there in July for an event they had clearly peaked for.

Forfar-I was right off the plane so a bit groggy but Forfar was  reminded me a lot of Boat of Garten-at least as good.
Very interesting greens
You would definitely like it
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Jason Way

« Reply #18 on: December 01, 2015, 09:51:28 AM »
Jason

I did a recap thread on my Boston trip on here somewhere Sean.  Pics and a little commentary are also here on my blog:

http://geekedongolf.com/2015/06/14/my-buddies-in-boston-annual-trip-recap/

Cannot say enough about what Eric Richardson and his crew are doing at Essex (with some consultation from Tom, I believe).

"Golf is a science, the study of a lifetime, in which you can exhaust yourself but never your subject." - David Forgan

Jason Thurman

« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2015, 10:50:46 AM »

MOST SURPRISING NEW PLAY COURSE: White Bear Yacht Club. I expected it to be very good, but did not expect it to compete with Prairie Dunes and Ballyneal for my favorite course played this year, and I certainly did not expect it to feature the most decidedly compelling terrain of any course I've ever played. It's a rumbling, tumbling joyride held back only by its area's climate.

MOST DISAPPOINTING NEW PLAY COURSE: Shaker Run. Look, I didn't expect a worldbeater. I knew it was an Art Hills course with a housing component, and so I expected no better than mediocre. Locally though, the course gets enough hype that I figured it would be worth a visit. I was wrong. In fairness, the course would be vastly improved if they just staffed someone to hang out next to the 5th tee on the Woodlands nine and shove players off the cliff as they address the ball prior to their tee shot. A trip to the hospital with a few broken bones and possible paralysis would be far preferable to playing 6 and 7.

BEST NEW PLAY COURSE: In an effort to avoid duplicates, I'll give this one to Colorado Golf Club. The course almost seems underhyped in its area, but I found it to be a wonderful layout bolstered tremendously by Coore and Crenshaw's gentle, draped-over-the-land aesthetic. The golfing qualities are also hard to beat, as it presents a thrilling and varied test that requires stout mid/long iron play along with strong nerves and smart decisions from inside 120 yards.

MOST SURPRISING SECOND (third or fourth!) LOOK COURSE: Wolf Run. I joined this year, and multiple plays have revealed what I think is a true gem of a course. While brutally challenging, its best moments are full of options as well and it's a course that constantly asks the player to evaluate his ability with honesty and hit shots within his skill range. My favorite aspect of the course is the way that it blends target golf with the ground game and asks players to think about how the ball will move when it lands as opposed to just firing for the spot where they want the ball to finish.

FAVORITE NEW PLAY LINKS: I'll cheat and go with Ballyneal, which surely deserves to be considered a links course. There's nothing for me to add that hasn't already been said, but it lives up to its lofty expectations thanks to a handful of true world-class holes and its excellent playing surfaces. Can a course be too much fun? Ballyneal sometimes seems almost too forgiving until you hit an approach that trickles off the green and into a disaster, or reach the 17th tee.

FAVORITE NEW PLAY INLAND COURSE: Cherry Hills. Colorado was a good trip for me. I've noticed that a lot of old tournament courses now considered too short for the pros have become almost perfect tests for amateurs. The variety presented by Cherry Hills reminds me of other old tournament tests like Canterbury and Beverly. The imaginative player will see every shot shape he can envision in a round here, and the wise player will feel constantly challenged to keep the ball below the hole.

BEST AFFORDABLE COURSE: For $25 or whatever we paid, Keller Golf Course in the Twin Cities was pretty hard to beat. It gets a little tight in spots and I'd like to see it without the greens having been punched, but a stretch like 12-16 is a rare find on an affordable public course.

BEST MODERATELY PRICED COURSE: The Ross Course at French Lick really surprised me. Honestly, I don't consider myself a big Ross fan and I had heard mixed reviews of this one, but the extremely difficult terrain forced The Donald to route a course with a bit more energy than his standard workmanlike offerings. The course is bolstered in my memory by the huge thunderstorm that rolled in while we sat on the veranda of the clubhouse and looked out across the rolling hills surrounding as the downpour briefly roared. There can't be a better clubhouse from which to watch degenerate gamblers get soaked and possibly electrocuted.

BEST COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: Prairie Dunes. It's basically perfect.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 11:36:08 AM by Jason Thurman »
"There will always be haters. That’s just the way it is. Hating dudes marry hating women and have hating ass kids." - Evan Turner

Some of y'all have never been called out in bold green font and it really shows.

Jason Way

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2015, 03:19:43 PM »

BEST NEW PLAY COURSE: In an effort to avoid duplicates, I'll give this one to Colorado Golf Club. The course almost seems underhyped in its area, but I found it to be a wonderful layout bolstered tremendously by Coore and Crenshaw's gentle, draped-over-the-land aesthetic. The golfing qualities are also hard to beat, as it presents a thrilling and varied test that requires stout mid/long iron play along with strong nerves and smart decisions from inside 120 yards.

BEST MODERATELY PRICED COURSE: The Ross Course at French Lick really surprised me. Honestly, I don't consider myself a big Ross fan and I had heard mixed reviews of this one, but the extremely difficult terrain forced The Donald to route a course with a bit more energy than his standard workmanlike offerings. The course is bolstered in my memory by the huge thunderstorm that rolled in while we sat on the veranda of the clubhouse and looked out across the rolling hills surrounding as the downpour briefly roared. There can't be a better clubhouse from which to watch degenerate gamblers get soaked and possibly electrocuted.

+1 on both of these picks, and your reasoning.  Loved them both.

Matt Frey, PGA

« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2015, 11:31:24 AM »

MOST SURPRISING NEW PLAY COURSE: Jupiter Hills’ Hills Course in Tequesta, Florida. From what I heard from fellow course golf architecture buffs, I knew it would be a solid track, but I guess I went in expecting a “typical” Florida golf course: Lots of water hazards, straight holes and flat land. Boy was I wrong, and I am glad I was! There is tremendous movement in the property and some very good and strategic golf holes on the Hills Course.
RUNNER-UP: Hyde Park in Cincinnati. I had heard it was a lesser-known Ross track and that in the last several years they have been doing a lot of restoration-type work, so I went in with semi-high expectations. Again, on this course, the land movement and use of such is tremendous and very bold. The greens are fabulous. It’s every bit as good (if not a little better) than the other Ross Course in Cincinnati, Maketewah.

BEST NEW PLAY COURSE: In an effort to avoid using the same course in multiple answers here, I will say Baltimore Five Farms’s East Course in Lutherville-Timonium, Maryland. I never played this course prior to Keith Foster’s work here, but it’s a tremendous Tillinghast layout. I found it to be challenging, but very fair and also believe there to be a lot of variety on the golf course. There’s some very good use of the land forms here too.
RUNNER-UP: Philadelphia Cricket’s Wissahickon Course in Flourtown, Pennsylvania. Another amazing Foster restoration of a Tillinghast design. Again, I never played the course prior to the recent work, but today’s course is tremendous. The Wissahickon is easily as good as Baltimore’s East, but Baltimore may have just a bit more variety; in actuality though, it’s a draw.

MOST SURPRISING SECOND LOOK COURSE: Dauphin Highlands in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania. I first played this course on a family vacation right after I picked up the game in 2003 or 2004, well before I appreciated golf course architecture. I liked the course then, mainly because I played well on the course and it was in great shape, so I was curious to go back and see the course. I went in not expecting as much, but was pleasantly surprised. Yes, I happened to play very well again (a season best 74), but Bill Love did some nice work on this course and I would recommend it.
RUNNER-UP: Timber Trails at Lake Naomi in Pocono Pines, Pennsylvania. Timber Trails is a short, narrow executive course tucked away in the Pocono Mountains where I worked my second PGA Golf Management internship in 2008. I went back to play it again this summer and was really pleased with the greens. I forgot how cool they were for such a little-known golf course.

FAVORITE NEW PLAY LINKS: Fishers Island (New York). Without a doubt the best course I’ve played this year (but since it’s the only course remotely close to a links design, I used it for this answer, rather than “Best New Play Course”). The designs were so good and the scenery and backdrop were so amazing, I felt overwhelmed while playing and found it hard to concentrate on hitting good golf shots. I’ll try to do a better job if I ever get the opportunity to play there again.

FAVORITE NEW PLAY INLAND COURSE: Rolling Green in Springfield, Pennsylvania. Other than Baltimore’s East, Philadelphia Cricket’s Wissahickon and Hyde Park, Rolling Green takes the cake. It’s a wonderful Flynn layout with tremendous greens. Yes, I played pretty well (77), but I found the strategy in the design quite good.

BEST AFFORDABLE COURSE: Lulu in Glenside, Pennsylvania. I can’t remember exactly what the rate was, but I do remember thinking it was reasonable, especially after I played the course; great Ross layout.

BEST MODERATELY PRICED COURSE: Makefield Highlands in Yardley, Pennsylvania. I kept it in the public category here. This is a very fun, very open Rick Jacobson design.

BEST COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: Fishers Island (see above). Aside from Fishers, which I used for my “Links” answer, Camargo in Cincinnati, which is another amazing Raynor design with great greens.
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 11:33:13 AM by Matt Frey, PGA »

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2015, 12:14:03 PM »
Best New Play Course: Royal St Georges
Close Second: Royal Cinque Ports
Best Re-Look: Walton Heath Old although I enjoyed The European a lot on my first look for 8 or 9 years. Full of excellent holes, there is no doubt.

Not much else out there worthy of discussion... Other courses I returned to I know so well they can hardly qualify as a second look.

Tony_Muldoon

« Reply #23 on: December 02, 2015, 12:28:47 PM »
MOST SURPRISING NEW PLAY COURSE:
Royal Troon.  From popular anecdote I expected a ball bustin’, flat,  test with little excitement.
 I can accept the first four holes are solid and don’t exactly catch fire, but from then on there is real interest and yes, variety. Not just on the elevated middle section but all the way home. Not sure what they replace but I liked the reshaped holes on the way back.
RUNNER -UP:
Sherwood Forrest  I thought this was making up the BUDA no’s but the presentation of browned fairways running f&f was as good as Iv’e experienced.  This is just another wonderful English golf Course. Lovely.

MOST DISAPPOINTING NEW PLAY COURSE:

Happily I can skip this section this year.

BEST NEW PLAY COURSE:

Notts.  See Troon: not as tough as I’d been led to expect and set over some fantastic terrain. The second shots into 2 and 15 are as scenic and challenging as you like.  The par 5, 3rd is now a favourite hole.  First time my third shot was from the road behind and second time well over the road. Totally memorable and it’s own place. 
PS I am not a fan of refreshments on the course and until someone can match a natural spring, known locally as The Holy Well, I will insist ALL the rest are so inferior that they should be closed down forthwith.
PPS Please note I must have been on here a decade and favouring an inland course over just about any links is Nott something I‘m prone to. This choice surprised me too.

Third  LOOK at COURSE confirming expectations:

Wonderful Formby (just kidding I loved it three years ago)

Woodhall Spa.  Lovely to look at but still can’t see the greatness.

FAVOURITE NEW PLAY LINKS not called St Enodoc:

Troon

(PS I liked Western and Glasgow Gailes too.)

FAVOURITE NEW PLAY INLAND COURSE not called Kington: Cavendish

BEST AFFORDABLE COURSE: Cavendish. 

BEST MODERATELY PRICED COURSE: Cavendish (and trouser the change)

BEST COURSE PLAYED THIS YEAR: Deal    RUNNER-UP: North Berwick
(Next year I might reverse this order!)
« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 12:32:41 PM by Tony_Muldoon »
Let's make GCA grate again!

Niall C

« Reply #24 on: December 02, 2015, 01:47:13 PM »
it's amazing what a birdie going up the first will do for you !

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back