News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Patrick_Mucci

Re: Collusion at Augusta - One More Time (With My Apologies)
« Reply #50 on: April 14, 2015, 11:16:21 PM »

The Masters does not have referees with every group. Instead they have officials stationed on every hole. From general viewing I would guess that they are not proactive, but waiting on the sidelines in case they are summoned.
     Rule 22 was not violated because the rule used the word 'may', rather than the word "shall"

Pete,

There's NO "May" in 22-7

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #51 on: April 14, 2015, 11:32:42 PM »
Pat,
Agreed, we agree, there is no "may" in 22/7. But 22/7 does relate to an agreement to waive the rules, which is covered under Rule 1.

I can only remember one instance where an official stepped in, after the hole was completed,  during a morning round of a US Open sectional qualifier. The essence was, if I see that again, you're all out of here.

Jeff Fortson

« Reply #52 on: April 15, 2015, 01:41:53 AM »
My thoughts were that Rose got over his chip faster than Jordan could get to the green, and Jordan chose not to interrupt Rose while he was adressed and ready to hit.  I've experienced that scenario MANY times, even in USGA Championships. I've hit a chip and before I can get to it to mark it my playing competitor is already seconds from pulling the trigger.  I know you're supposed to try to protect the field, but it's a very confusing situation and most people (like spieth on the 8th) choose to not stop a guy that's already committed to playing a shot/chip.  I see nothing wrong with his actions as I saw them as having simple courtesy to not stop a player that was basically in motion to play a shot. I never looked at that as spieth leaving his ball there to aid Rose.

Jeff
#nowhitebelt

Jim Nugent

« Reply #53 on: April 15, 2015, 03:07:06 AM »
Jeff, how about the converse: Rose hitting his ball before Spieth can mark, to get a potential advantage? 

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #54 on: April 15, 2015, 06:39:11 AM »
Does anyone think that the chain of events would have been different if they were in a match play competition ?

Brent Hutto

« Reply #55 on: April 15, 2015, 06:54:01 AM »
Does anyone think that the chain of events would have been different if they were in a match play competition ?

Yes there would have been 20,000 morons in the gallery chanting USA--USA--USA--USA--USA--USA--USA

Chris Cupit

« Reply #56 on: April 15, 2015, 08:53:35 AM »
On the road (not driving) and will chime in with some thoughts but one real quick is this:  if I recall correctly Rule 22 imposes even more stringent parameters upon competitors as unlike Rule 1-3 no agreement/knowledge between players is necessary in order to breach the Rule!

Be back soon  :)

Carl Nichols

« Reply #57 on: April 15, 2015, 10:27:15 AM »
My thoughts were that Rose got over his chip faster than Jordan could get to the green, and Jordan chose not to interrupt Rose while he was adressed and ready to hit.  I've experienced that scenario MANY times, even in USGA Championships. I've hit a chip and before I can get to it to mark it my playing competitor is already seconds from pulling the trigger.  I know you're supposed to try to protect the field, but it's a very confusing situation and most people (like spieth on the 8th) choose to not stop a guy that's already committed to playing a shot/chip.  I see nothing wrong with his actions as I saw them as having simple courtesy to not stop a player that was basically in motion to play a shot. I never looked at that as spieth leaving his ball there to aid Rose.

Jeff

As I said above, that was my reaction too . . . but I wondered whether Rose might have acted so quickly because he preferred to have the ball stay unmarked, putting Spieth in that awkward position.

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #58 on: April 15, 2015, 02:54:15 PM »
Carl,

Valid point.

As golfers, subject to the USGA rules, are we going to blatantly ignore situational awareness on the part of golfers who play golf for a living ?

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back